Author Topic: Annoyed with the Fluke 289  (Read 41431 times)

Offline AmazingTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Annoyed with the Fluke 289
« on: May 18, 2017, 02:10:14 pm »
The 289 is the top-of-the-line Fluke meter, but I find it so annoying!

The LCD display is low contrast and hard to see. 

Using the backlight is required pretty much at all times.  Maybe outside in the sunlight it wouldn't be needed.

The backlight is always turning itself off -- a necessity given the battery life.

The kickstand is plastic, weak, and unstable.  The meter will fall over sideways with the slightest bump.  The kickstand hinge mechanism is just barely strong enough to hold up the meter -- bump it slightly and it pops off and the meter falls flat.  Plus it's a plastic bump and slot arrangement that holds the kickstand on, and every time it pops off it gets chewed up and less able to hold the meter up.

Continuity is a menu-enabled option, which means that it forgets it was in continuity mode when it powers off and you have to set it each time.  Continuity should be a primary function on the rotary switch.

Other than those convenience problems though, it is an awesome meter.   But I wish I'd gotten the 87V instead.  I only bought the 289 because I had a project that required logging.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
Re: Annoyed with the Fluke 289
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 02:24:07 pm »
I agree. 289 is no substitute for the simplicity and efficiency in design of the 87V (I got 3 of them.. well the 3rd one is a 83V but very similar meter).

The following users thanked this post: TiN

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 02:45:29 pm »
Yep, agree, own 287 and 87V, but you have to understand the truth and fact that 28x uses graphic LCD.

Every character/symbol displayed is made of tiny dots, while at non graphical customized lcd segments, every single segment like in the 7 segments basically are solid area, no contest here.

Its like reading printout from dot matrix printer vs laser jet.  :-\
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 02:49:25 pm by BravoV »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 02:52:31 pm »
Yep, agree, own 287 and 87V, but you have to understand the truth and fact that 28x uses graphic LCD.

Every character/symbol displayed is made of tiny dots, while at non graphical customized lcd segments, every single segment like in the 7 segments basically are solid area, no contest here.

Its like reading printout from dot matrix printer vs laser jet.  :-\

Good point, I hadn't thought of it like that.  Also the numbers on the 289 are actually smaller than the 87V, despite the larger screen.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 03:04:49 pm »
I've always considered the 289 a loser.
That display is hard to read and chews batteries.

Offline agdr

• Supporter
    • agdr Audio
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 03:10:42 pm »

Yep, agree with all!  I have two 289s.  They are also fairly slow responding.  I still use my 30 year old Fluke 77 if I need fast response for something.

The 289 has been out quite a while now.  I keep expecting Fluke to come out with something new that will fix all this stuff.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 03:12:31 pm »
The kickstand is plastic, weak, and unstable.  The meter will fall over sideways with the slightest bump.  The kickstand hinge mechanism is just barely strong enough to hold up the meter -- bump it slightly and it pops off and the meter falls flat.  Plus it's a plastic bump and slot arrangement that holds the kickstand on, and every time it pops off it gets chewed up and less able to hold the meter up.

The 87V also has the the same problem like at the hinge too, also imo, sideways is always the weak point of this kind of handheld meters as they're tall and thin.  :-//

Only big wide form like handheld oscilloscope doesn't have this flimsy sideways problem.

The side by side comparison of my 287 and 87V, the 87V kickstand hinge is not much different than your 289, so cheer up.

Other than those convenience problems though, it is an awesome meter.   But I wish I'd gotten the 87V instead.  I only bought the 289 because I had a project that required logging.

87V is not the same league as your 289.

Personally, I called my 87V a multimeter, while the 287 is sort of low frequency, but ultra high resolution handheld oscilloscope.  :-DD As it's logging feature is quite powerful especially when you need it.

An example few years ago when I needed to verify whether my newly installed air condition unit is working regulating the room temperature, using the standard thermal probe that came with the meter, logged the room temperature and left it for 8 hours. Below pictures of the DMM screen showing the recording chart of full span 8 hours temperature fluctuations, and zoomed down to 2 minutes resolution,  and this is the real power of 28x meter. No hassle like needing to use separate pc/laptop/tablet to view the recorded data.

-> (Fluke 287 screen on the recorded temperature chart for 8 hours)

Personally, for day to day use like doing a quick measurement of voltage/resistance etc, I don't use my 287, as I find the boot time is quite annoying.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:14:07 pm by BravoV »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 03:18:20 pm »

There is a possibility that the ultracap in your 289 is rotting, since it is sucking the battery power even its turned "OFF".  :-\

Check this thread -> Fluke 189 with leaking surface mount supercap (also Fluke 287, Fluke 289)

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 03:31:59 pm »

There is a possibility that the ultracap in your 289 is rotting, since it is sucking the battery power even its turned "OFF".  :-\

Check this thread -> Fluke 189 with leaking surface mount supercap (also Fluke 287, Fluke 289)

It's not my 289 anymore...  LOL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 04:33:27 pm »
BravoV,

Thanks for posting the side-by-side pics. 

I might just pull out the Fluke 116 I got for free when I bought the 289, and make that be my everyday meter...

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 05:02:38 pm »
BravoV,

Thanks for posting the side-by-side pics. 

I might just pull out the Fluke 116 I got for free when I bought the 289, and make that be my everyday meter...

My pleasure.

Yeah, that 116 is definitely much better for instantaneous/brief/simple measurements.  :-+

Hope this thread serves to others that is considering to buy Fluke 287/289 as everyday meter, its way too overkill. Also imo the boot time, is unfavorable compared to ordinary DMMs. Unless its going to be used intensively for logging purposes.

Besides, as above photos, its big, feels like holding a long thick fat brick.  :-\

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 05:35:38 pm »
I really liked the 87V and bought a 289 as a "desktop" DMM  to get the dual mode and logging and very much regretted it. I ended up selling it a couple of months later. Bulky, hard to read, slow to start, menu driven, bad PC software. Not worth the trouble.

For my "desktop" needs, I am now very happy with a U1273A. It has a beautifully readable screen (OLED) - no need to squint or fiddle with the backlight, it does dual mode well (and the OLED is good at displaying it and showing what it is doing), has very functional logging and a nice PC/mobile interface through Bluetooth. And it is not too big. It basically does everything I wanted the 289 to do, but it does it a whole lot better.
It has its quirks and for a simple, reliable meter, I'd still pick a 87-V, but as a more feature-rich desktop meter, the U1273A checks all the right boxes.

Offline daflory

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 01:33:04 am »
I'm glad to have found this thread.
I was toying with the idea of getting a 289 because the logging and high accuracy looked appealing, and I'm glad to get solid confirmation of its downsides compared to the 87V.
Sounds a bit like the HP 48GX (vs. the 32SII)--amazing specs, but sluggish, awkward to use, and with a display that leaves a lot to be desired.

(I think I'm going to look into used Agilent bench meters.)

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 02:10:57 am »
The 289 has been out quite a while now.  I keep expecting Fluke to come out with something new that will fix all this stuff.

I think they did...wasn't it the 189?   >:D

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Daruosha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 08:49:57 am »
Well, I have 2 289's and despite all the design issues (especially low contrast screen), I'm supper happy with them. The only equivalents (or clone) of this meter are UNI-T 181A which sucks in input protection department (check @joeqsmith videos) and CEM 9989 which sucks in each and every dept.

I admit battery consumption is somewhat unacceptable and some other issues could be managed a lot better, but when you need a data-logging multimeter with on-site graphs and etc..., nothing comes even close to 289.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:31:44 am by Daruosha »

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 02:38:49 pm »
I bought a 289 for $200. I knew about the boot up time and the display contrast issues, but it's still a hell of a meter and I wasn't going to go past it at the price I paid. I think the bloke sold it so cheap because it chewed batteries and wouldn't hold memory like the time when the batteries were changed. I relaxed the supercap and it's good as gold now.

I have a lot of multimeters and each was bought for a specific purpose / use, of which the 289 has its definite uses for quick logging. I really like the max / min display of the 289 showing times of events too.

However my goto meter for quick simple measurements is the U1252B, I've just ordered a Bluetooth adaptor for it so I'll see how well that goes. I've heard good things about the mobile app for logging and monitoring.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 03:43:19 pm »
I like the stand on my 87-III much better than the newer rigid plastic stands. It's rubberized with bendy metal inside so I can form it around and object to hang the meter. Works really well when I'm up on a ladder or inside a big piece of equipment.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 05:22:53 pm »
I have a lot of multimeters and each was bought for a specific purpose / use, of which the 289 has its definite uses for quick logging. I really like the max / min display of the 289 showing times of events too.

Yeah, agree, Fluke 28x meter is serious meter packed with features that can't be ignored just like that, imo, they're quite respectable. Its just for 1st DMM or the only DMM, its not the best choice.

Those min/max display is really good, I like them too, also the feature on displaying AC + DC or AC over DC or DC over AC combination views, they're quite handy, used it frequently and love those big displayed numbers.

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 05:28:30 pm »
This discussion are little bit strange. Not possible to compare 280 series with 87V and even with 87-III. This is different meters, they offer different levels of measurement. While all try to compare physical size, no one try to compare accuracy each other, especially for AC.
280 series is much more powerful, it can measure AC+DC simultaneously, it much more useful for min/max/peak measurement and etc..

As for display - I do not see any problem with contrast on my Fluke 287, I don't have any problem with battery and backlight itself do not consume significant amount of power (probably 30 mA consumed with backlight, don't remember exactly).
I use lithium batteries and used my meters for many days of logging, and batteries still working like are new ones.

Offline KrzysztofB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 08:59:47 pm »
Well. The only anoying thing for me is powerup time.
O m g. So anoying. That is why i prefer to use 189. And never ever user any function that is beneficial from graphic display.
Contrast, i agree without light is not so clear.
I wqs thinking to buy one, but after some.usage at work.... No no.

Offline PushUp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2017, 12:07:58 am »
For my "desktop" needs, I am now very happy with a U1273A.
It has its quirks and for a simple, reliable meter, I'd still pick a 87-V, but as a more feature-rich desktop meter, the U1273A checks all the right boxes.

I think about buying a used Keysight U1273A for a nice price instead of a Fluke 289. Although I am a Fluke Fan-Boy (113, 117, 179, 87V), I need a handy datalogging DMM with low Ohm capability.

What do you mean with "It has its quirks"? Do you also have the BT-Adapter and the newest FW for the U1273A?

Thank you very much for sharing your experience!  ;)

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 12:26:49 am »
Has anyone found and figured out how to replace the screen with something better?

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2017, 05:47:59 am »
Has anyone found and figured out how to replace the screen with something better?

buy a Uni-T... they seem to know how to make a brilliant LCD display...

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 06:04:49 am »
Besides the unresolved supercRapacitor leakage ANNOYANCE   |O

that Fluke SHOULD FIX FOR FREE -UNCONDITIONALLY- FOR ANY OWNER,

the 289 does a lot of useful stuff  :-+

It won't do much of anything if impatient users don't spend some time getting familiar with such a feature packed meter,
that may be low on visual eye candy appeal for some,
but a killa meter for those that don't gas about looks and curves on ...TEST GEAR (?!!)   :wtf:  :palm: :palm:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 07:17:54 am by Electro Detective »

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 08:44:10 am »
this gentleman has some detailed reviews...

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 11:21:47 am »
For my "desktop" needs, I am now very happy with a U1273A.

I think about buying a used Keysight U1273A for a nice price instead of a Fluke 289. Although I am a Fluke Fan-Boy (113, 117, 179, 87V), I need a handy datalogging DMM with low Ohm capability.

What do you mean with "It has its quirks"? Do you also have the BT-Adapter and the newest FW for the U1273A?

Thank you very much for sharing your experience!  ;)
Before buying meter with OLED display, just check how long your meter will work from one set of batteries :) http://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=1812907&nid=-34618.1144466&id=1812907
As for stupid solutions = handheld meters with OLED and rechargeable Li-ion batteries...
http://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=906497&nid=-34618.1144466&id=906497
Well, 8 hours (7.2V rechargeable batteries) for U1253B  :palm:
If you want to recharge your meter each time before going to customer facility, or perform quick measurements - it's your way. I don't think that this is eliminate 5-8 seconds boot up time for Fluke 289. While... you'll have amazing OLED display  :)

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2017, 11:41:49 am »

I keep my Fluke 287 at contrast level 5 or 6.
Press "DOWN" button at middle of keyboard till you'll have double beeps at each button pressing. This will down your contrast level to min. After that rise it up 5-6 time with UP button.
I don't know why Fluke made contrast adjustment always available from UP/DOWN keys at any mode (except menu and submenu navigation) and at the same time have dedicated item for contrast adjustment in setup menu. Form my point of view would be great have access to contrast adjustment from setup menu only. This will eliminate casual contrast adjustment.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 03:58:51 pm »
Staying on topic, the U127X and the new U128X are alternatives to the 289 worth looking at. They are different beasts from the 289, but they do provide dual display and very nice logging options and wired or wireless connectivity to free software (PC or mobile).

The OLED model (U1273A) is definitely not without tradeoffs, so usage model will decide if it makes sense. I have and have had a 87V, 289, U1272A, U1273A, U1282A plus a few smaller ones and some benchtops (3446X) and _at my desk_, I always reach for the U1273A first (and the 3446X second).

As a traveling meter, I'd probably pick a 87V if the feature set is sufficient or the U1272A or the new U1282A for more.

The following users thanked this post: PushUp

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2017, 04:38:05 pm »

This is what happens in a mature industry when style becomes more important than functionality and it is a good indication of poor engineering in general.

The rounded "ergonomic" bottom and narrowing from top to bottom means the meter is only poorly supported at one point on the bottom and more easily falls over.  (1) The low contrast display is difficult to read.  Low battery life lowers reliability.

Whoever does the human factors engineering and evaluation and their management at Fluke should be fired and sent to Detroit serve in Congress.

(1) Leading to more broken meters and more meter sales?

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 08:23:16 pm »
So, your suggestion David?
What meter is best?
What display technology is better at all?
What meter available to show graphics with minimum power consumption?
What ergonomic you want from meter? 
What safety level you'll expect?
What contrast is low and what is high? To compare with?

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2017, 10:36:29 pm »
I do not have a satisfactory answer for you serggio; I have been using the same handheld multimeters for 10+ years now and they have flat bottoms so are not prone to tipping over, have good battery life, and except for my Tektronix meter have good contrast.  But they are all out of production.

What I was getting at is that if style has overtaken functionality, then other aspects of the meter's design should be questioned.  Testing a meter for long term reliability is difficult but battery life, display contrast, and physical ergonomics are all easy to measure or know.  Fluke jumped the shark some time ago.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2017, 12:24:33 am »

This is what happens in a mature industry when style becomes more important than functionality and it is a good indication of poor engineering in general.

The rounded "ergonomic" bottom and narrowing from top to bottom means the meter is only poorly supported at one point on the bottom and more easily falls over.  (1) The low contrast display is difficult to read.  Low battery life lowers reliability.

Whoever does the human factors engineering and evaluation and their management at Fluke should be fired and sent to Detroit serve in Congress.

(1) Leading to more broken meters and more meter sales?

It appears the golden age of practical modern meters (1990s to 20xx?) is near its end ? 
and -cheap cheap-  'fill er up with features' city all the way,
with loads of battery draining eye candy
and ~smooth~ pear shaped curves to get techs perving and whistling at the action, and pinching meter bottoms..  ;D

No thanks, I got work to do,
no time to waste questioning the latest 'smart' (ass) meter eye candy readings   :-// 
or hunting for batteries  |O

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2017, 09:38:49 pm »
Those Aussies again! Haven't you be told that 'pinching' must be strictly consensual? Most meters do not like such rough play!
Now, when I combine Electro Detective's  post mentally with the one about talking multimeters, things become interesting!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2017, 12:42:14 am »
As long as Uni-T and other makers don't include a hidden 1000v insulation test  'slap'  feature on their future big bottom talking meters, it's good to go  :-+

Let's pray the Meter Libertarians don't target this pinching business and spoil the fun   >:D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2017, 08:32:22 am »
UNBELIEVABLE !!!  |O |O |O |O |O |O

The round black battery compartment lock thingy has SHATTERED into 5 pieces for no reason whatsover!

I turned it CAREFULLY with a coin to put in new batteries (that's allowed, right??!) and found out WHY it has always been difficult to do, even with a tough short HUMAN thumb nail

Initial observation and analysis:  It's CHEAP plastic POS crap on a MULTI-DOLLAR-METER ? !!!

LUCKILY the main two FRAGMENTS jammed back in and turned a certain way, keeping the battery section in and I can use the meter, FOR NOW !    :phew:  :rant: :wtf:

Flukked by 'Under New Management, 'Enjoy' ' Fluke again,

first it was the light leakage firmware fiasco,

then the leaking bearded superCRAPacitor (which has NOT been fixed)

NOW THIS BS !!  |O

I like this meter, it does s*** other meters don't, 

but the HARDWARE BITCHING has to STOP or get sorted ASAP !!!   :--

How the **** am I going to get this little POS replacement from Fluke,

what ELUSIVE part number will it be?

and will it cost MORE THAN A NEW FLUKKING METER ???

:palm: :palm:

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2017, 08:35:10 am »
UNBELIEVABLE !!!  |O |O |O |O |O |O

The round black battery compartment lock thingy has SHATTERED into 5 pieces for no reason whatsover!

I turned it CAREFULLY with a coin to put in new batteries (that's allowed, right??!) and found out WHY it has always been difficult to do, even with a tough short HUMAN thumb nail

Initial observation and analysis:  It's CHEAP plastic POS crap on a MULTI-DOLLAR-METER ? !!!

LUCKILY the main two FRAGMENTS jammed back in and turned a certain way, keeping the battery section in and I can use the meter, FOR NOW !    :phew:  :rant: :wtf:

Flukked by 'Under New Management, 'Enjoy' ' Fluke again,

first it was the light leakage firmware fiasco,

then the leaking bearded superCRAPacitor (which has NOT been fixed)

NOW THIS BS !!  |O

I like this meter, it does s*** other meters don't, 

but the HARDWARE BITCHING has to STOP or get sorted ASAP !!!   :--

How the **** am I going to get this little POS replacement from Fluke,

what ELUSIVE part number will it be?

and will it cost MORE THAN A NEW FLUKKING METER ???

:palm: :palm:

Shit brittle pastic, inconsistent quality. I gave up on Fluke long ago...

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2017, 10:49:58 am »
I bought one for the logging abilities (very nice) but never use it day to day because of slow boot, infuriating menus for common things like continuity and the way it devours batteries. I end up using my bryman instead for my primary daily meter.

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2017, 12:06:16 pm »
We got a few Fluke 289 in the company. I usally avoid to use em.
Even for loggin i think the Keysight-Multimeter do a nice job, specally because u can log multiple DMM at the same time.

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2017, 12:15:43 pm »
Even for loggin i think the Keysight-Multimeter do a nice job, specally because u can log multiple DMM at the same time.
What??  :o

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2017, 12:20:48 pm »
I bough a Fluke 289 and found myself not liking it at all, so a few month later I sold it again!

I still have my trusted 87V but I find myself more and more to only use the Keysight U1273A and U1253B.
Especially since I can have 3 Keysight meters logging my measurements remotely at the same time on my iPad.
Try that with a 289!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:25:04 pm by HighVoltage »
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2017, 12:29:50 pm »
What??  :o
You can log the Readings from multiple DMM's at the same time with the "Keysight Handheld Meter Logger"-Software. I kinda lika that.
I'm not sure if that is possible with the Fluke 289.

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2017, 12:46:10 pm »
You can log the Readings from multiple DMM's at the same time with the "Keysight Handheld Meter Logger"-Software. I kinda lika that.
You can start FlukeView form more than one time at your PC, if you have extended version.
I agree that Fluke have very old logging SW, that this is require additional cost. That is trade off for Fluke.  :-- At least they can create modern SW for logging devices.

As for remote logging from DMMs connected to PC - my point of view - this is stupid and pretty limited. It nice for fun, but far away from real task.  :-DMM
So, you need have PC connected to all your metters. Or, have bluetooth connection, that is also limited.
Don't forget please, that bluetooth or even IR UART connection will kill your meter battery very fast. I do not see any reason to have logging possibility directly to PC. Good in lab and home fun but not for troubleshooting in customer facility.

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2017, 12:49:19 pm »
I bough a Fluke 289 and found myself not liking it at all, so a few month later I sold it again!

I still have my trusted 87V but I find myself more and more to only use the Keysight U1273A and U1253B.
Especially since I can have 3 Keysight meters logging my measurements remotely at the same time on my iPad.
Try that with a 289!
Look nice, and how long you can play with your toys before you'll be need replace battery/recharge iPad? Is it work when your iPad in standby?  :-DMM

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2017, 01:40:10 pm »
Look nice, and how long you can play with your toys before you'll be need replace battery/recharge iPad? Is it work when your iPad in standby?  :-DMM
I am still on the first set of batteries for the Bluetooth adapters at the DMM side.
The iPad is not a requirement, you can easily log it with a PC and BT and the free Keysight logger software.
And then you can even log more than three DMM at the same time.
I have not noticed that the iPad will be battery stressed and discharge faster than with other prorams running.
For the iPad APP you are limited to 3 DMM at the same time.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2017, 01:50:11 pm »
I am still use second set of summer tires at my car and what? )))
Is I right understand that for logging/graph analyzing you need three tools simultaneously working:

1. Meter
2. IR/Bluetooth adapter
3. iPad or PC.

Pretty funny achievement over Fluke :)

More that funny for this thread... few minutes ago I receive one more mail from Keysight...))

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 02:23:17 pm by serggio »

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2017, 02:30:03 pm »
You can start FlukeView form more than one time at your PC, if you have extended version.
I agree that Fluke have very old logging SW, that this is require additional cost. That is trade off for Fluke.  :-- At least they can create modern SW for logging devices.

As for remote logging from DMMs connected to PC - my point of view - this is stupid and pretty limited. It nice for fun, but far away from real task.  :-DMM
So, you need have PC connected to all your metters. Or, have bluetooth connection, that is also limited.
Don't forget please, that bluetooth or even IR UART connection will kill your meter battery very fast. I do not see any reason to have logging possibility directly to PC. Good in lab and home fun but not for troubleshooting in customer facility.
Well my usecase at work is a workbench/lab but no big facility. So it works fine here. Also i have not noted any batterydraining on this mulitmeters when they are logging and are connected via IR to the pc. But i gotta admit i have not watched for that.

Don't get me wrong: The fluke 289 is a impressive dmm. But i think it's not worth just for logging to a pc, if you don't need the other features.
Edit: Ofcourse: Being able to log without a PC has also it's advantages.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 02:39:25 pm by Deridex »

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2017, 03:04:17 pm »

Is I right understand that for logging/graph analyzing you need three tools simultaneously working:

1. Meter
2. IR/Bluetooth adapter
3. iPad or PC.

Logging to iPad or PC works over a IR/Bluetooth adapter wireless
Or alternatively you can use a IR to USB cable on the PC

The software is free and works really well.
Plus on the PC software you are not limited to three DMM.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2017, 12:10:30 am »
serggio has some strong points and I agree  :-+

You get one of those corpoRATe phone calls you wished you missed,
turn up to some apparently annoying troubleshoot job with a Cat4 Fluke 289  :-DMM 
('greeted' by an annoying clueless clipboard waving zombie complaining about the 'last guy' and not giving any relevant information)

take the usual snafu measurements,

then plug in and LOG away,

while getting on with the rest of the tour of duty.

It's that FAST and SIMPLE  (as long as you have new pre-tested batteries in the meter!) 

Probably would work in a hospital or airplane too, without interfering with their devices    :-//

Thanks guys for those other logging options too btw     :clap:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:12:32 pm by Electro Detective »

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2017, 06:43:35 am »
This shows how different the usecases for such multimeters are.
While my usecase is a lab/workbench, yours is a big facility.
And in that way we got totally different requirements about the multimeters we use.
Here noone would think about loggin without a PC while you surely can make good use of this feature.  :-+

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2017, 10:00:45 am »
Logging is are primary feature, why I use 280 series Fluke.
Yes, it's big meter, and MCU inside meter take some time for booting after power on. But this is price would you pay for convenience.
But I have possibilities for troubleshooting with logged data graph view without external tools.
Internal memory also huge - 15 000 logged points, while Keysight 1252B have only 200 logged intervals internal memory capacity.
Fluke 287/289 using two types of events same time during logging - intervals and thresholds. Using event threshold value - really cool feature, you'll able to capture only data that is out of thresholds (% from last stable signal). So no need to capture all data and looking for unexpected event later.
All logged data at each point have MIN, MAX and AVERAGE within measured intervals.

I use it also for check power consumption some blocks in car. Many block controlled thru CAN bus can have some activity before going to full stand by mode. All that I need - connect Fluke in chain and rest it in car. And I do not need bring iPad/PC and keep it in car some time during troubleshooting.

I agree that Fluke trade offs is chargeable PC logging SW, and for that price would be nice to have modern application at least. Current Fluke ViewForm application really old  :-- All that they doing during update - they add some new meters protocols. Keysight really beat it here. Application look nice and absolutely FOC.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:52:07 pm by serggio »

Offline emax

• Contributor
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2017, 06:56:24 pm »
Recently, my very old Metex M-4650CR begun to show a 0.5VDV offset from real values, so I decided to buy a new DMM - after almost 30 yrs.

I am an amateur, occasionally designing, etching, soldering and programming minor embedded toys, and doing some stuff with RC-planes. Thats all. But I am a bit tech-addicted, like features and I like to be busy with all that fancy gear, part of the hobby, so to say.

So I came to eevblog where I found quite some good discussions concerning various DMM,  I tried the UT181A which is a great meter, but then I saw Joes video where he killed the UT181A. And since the secret of the mod wasn't revealed by Joe, this thing was out of my choice. I don't want to take care whether I crossed a carpet or not before using my DMM.

So I ordered a 289 which arrived last week. What a brick.

But I like it very much. There are some annoyances, sure. Booting takes long but for me this is not a real issue. I switch it on and have always to do some minor things before I start using it.

Trend display is indeed sloooow ... And there is no 'REL' button directly accessible. These are my only real complaints - but I can (and have to) live with this.

Display: After reading here I was very concerned about the quality of the display. But I must say: It is of course not as bright and colorful like the 181A TFT. But in a normal lab (or better say workshop-)situation, it is excellent to read as it just stands in front of me.  And in a dim room, the backlight is absolutly sufficient.

But what surprised me most was, that, side be side outside on a bright day, the 289 was much better to read than the 181A.

So to my mind, the rants about the display seem more a complaint about the boring user-experience with a monochrome LCD display - which I can understand. But in my opinion the display is perfectly ok for workshop-situations, it is very good in bright outdoor-conditions, and all in all it is not as bad as it is depicted in many posts.

I like that brick.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 10:03:17 pm by emax »

The following users thanked this post: shiftdelete

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2017, 11:23:42 pm »
I played with the variable contrast control till I got it just right for most daytime and indoor conditions,
and working great with the 2 stage backlight   :-+

The 289 has a few 'annoying' downsides,
but it gets the job done, 
and still beats most high end meters in the 'all rounder' department 

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2017, 01:36:38 am »
I'm glad you like the 289.  It just goes to show you have to be careful how much weight to give to opinions on the internet.  If you are looking for features, precision and logging all in one portable package, it's hard to beat.  :-+

But for me it is, as I said, very "annoying".  I use it mostly in dim environments where it is hard to read. Even with the backlight, it is very low contrast.

Being a professional, convenience is paramount.  I'm usually knee deep in 3 or 4 other complicated problems and under deadline pressure, so I need my DMM to work with as about as much thought as I give to my chair.  So things like shutting off frequently, forgetting the mode it is in, and taking a long time to boot are real flow-killers.

The fragile kickstand is unforgivable, and the fact that it falls over if bumped slightly is just another unwelcome frustration. 

I know that better monochrome LCD technology has been available for decades.  So they really just cheaped out in that department.

But what surprised me most was, that, side be side outside on a bright day, the 289 was much better to read than the 181A.

I'll have to take it outside in the sun and see how it looks.

So to my mind, the rants about the display seem more a complaint about the boring user-experience with a monochrome LCD display - which I can understand.

This made me laugh.  I've never used a TFT DMM.  My previous goto-DMMs were an early 80's Keithley and an early 90's generic brand, both of which have more readable displays than the Fluke 289.

Currently I mostly use the Fluke 116 that came as part of a promotion with the 289.  It's not one I would have picked out (I think it's targeted at a HVAC folks), but for everyday voltage, resistance and continuity measurements, it's perfect.

So, best of both worlds, I guess.  :-//
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 01:45:41 am by Amazing »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2017, 02:20:48 am »
289 and 116 is a good work combo and looks the business   :-DMM :-DMM   :-+

yes, the kickstand is a JOKE,
I have my meter secured with velcro in a small square zippable padded lunch type thingie,
which sits, stands, angles and behaves nicely indoors, and provides protection outdoors, 
it also houses the probes and DIY leads for those special troubleshoot ocassions 

But the bigger annoyance is the cheap plastic self fragmenting, ultra fragile, 'toffee brittle' black battery compartment screw,
watch out for that one..  :rant:
have some duct tape handy in case it crumbles and the entire back pops out.
My screw is half gone, the 3 bits left I 'reassembled' and pushed back in, are just holding on (fingers crossed)

I'll bet Fluke will want to flog me a replacement back 'Part no.' so I can cop another cheap plastic screw again...they can keep it  :--

But the biggest annoyance is the internal superCRAPacitor issue   :palm:

Offline emax

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2017, 02:44:02 pm »
> the internal superCRAPacitor issue

I've read about it. Not so nice, true. I'll keep an eye on it.

For the professional one there are for sure other priorities than for a hobbyist like me. I don't care about batteries, so I don't let it switch off automatically. And since it mostly stands on my desk, I havn't yet had a problem with the stand. This might of course change in the future.  :-//

As of today I am quite happy with it.

Concerning the display: Perception is an individual thing, so for the ones who think about buying one: don't rely on me - but don't rely on others as well. Make your own judgement. And in bright light (e.g. when outdoors with RC-planes) things differ very much from 'standard' environments.

Offline switcher

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2017, 09:56:40 pm »
Just goes to show that newer isn't always better.

I think I'll stick with my 8060A (1982), 77 (1983), 89 (1998), and Maplin Precision Gold (1987)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2017, 10:07:02 pm »
Just goes to show that newer isn't always better.

I think I'll stick with my 8060A (1982), 77 (1983), 89 (1998), and Maplin Precision Gold (1987)

Especially if the older gear has better quality control OS components and still on spec, I have some of those meters still kicking too  :-+

That said, the 8060A may have leakage issues with its electrolytic capacitors,
and if the 89 is the earlier 189 model, check for the supercapacitor issue

Both are ongoing topics at EEVblog 
www.eevblog.com/forum/search/
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 01:21:07 am by Electro Detective »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2018, 06:25:34 pm »

The LCD display is low contrast and hard to see. 

Using the backlight is required pretty much at all times.  Maybe outside in the sunlight it wouldn't be needed.

The backlight is always turning itself off -- a necessity given the battery life.

Continuity is a menu-enabled option, which means that it forgets it was in continuity mode when it powers off and you have to set it each time.  Continuity should be a primary function on the rotary switch.

The 287 is showing its age. There's no doubt a redesign would be much more power efficient. But Fluke is owned by Danaher and they won't renew models if they're still selling. Squeeze a model for all it's worth and then squeeze some more, that's the Danaher method and probably the reason the 87V hasn't been upgraded yet either.

Offline hgjdwx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2018, 01:35:34 am »
289 a lot of defects, voltage, resistance autorange speed is slow, big volume and some functional operation inconvenience, boot slow, inefficient, display low contrast, shows the result is bad, and support vulnerable, top-heavy unstable, and open the buzzer needs into the menu, and the buzzer is a very common gear,
In many ways, it's even less than 187.
Especially in the aspect of function and performance of some of the details do not reach the designated position, like DC60mv range and 50? range mantissa drift is serious,
The small capacitance can not be measured in dozens of pf, and the nS range open circuit  is negative.

Sorry for my English!

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2018, 02:22:50 am »
I find the 289 to be a step down from the 189.

If the 189 were still on the market I would have bought one by now.

I have looked at the 289 several times and bypassed it each time. It just does not have the elegance of form and function that the 189 has.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2018, 04:12:40 am »

Try that with a 289!

The Keysight site tells me the app is for Android. Do you use third party software or is their information incomplete?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2018, 05:11:46 am »
I found it. It's weird that the app page says it compatible with the U1177A and bot iOS and Android, but that the U1177A page only mentions Android. Somehow many of these big companies have trouble keeping the information on their website consistent. I've had a lot of trouble figuring out compatibility before. It really shouldn't be that hard.

https://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?cc=GB&lc=eng&ckey=2471469&nid=-536902461.1091000.02&id=2471469&cmpid=zzfindhhmeterapp

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2018, 09:50:00 am »
I just recently got my 289 and love it. I agree the boot up is slow but I can live with that just doing hobby stuff. I have a couple of other meters that are decent enough that start instantly if I just need a single quick measurement. If i'm working on a board or whatever I just start the 289 a couple seconds sooner than I would another one of my meters.

I love mine but can see where others find it a problem.
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2018, 10:08:32 am »
I have a 289 and a Bryman 869s I always reach for the Bryman for single meter measurements. I don’t have to worry about it scoffing batteries like a fat kid eating chips and it’s just all round faster. I probably wouldn’t buy the Fluke again.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2018, 11:04:29 am »
I fitted my 289 out with lithium AA's so we'll see how that goes. I have used it loads in the last week or so since it's new and ive been trying it on for size. It's still got a full 4 bars.
I got a 12 pack of lithium AA's for 8 quid so that gives me 2 fills for reasonable money. To be honest I've been hammering this set just to see how greedy it is, but it's been ok so far if i'm honest. I've had the back light running and graphing loads too just to try it out. I don't know exactly how much the super cap thing affects the life of your battery pack, it's really quite a lot if others are to be believed. I have no reason to doubt what others say about this either.
What I have noticed though is some people say it's greedy as hell and chews batteries like no tomorrow and others say i'm still on my 1st set after 2 years and only dropped 1 bar so think maybe the super cap thing is well at play in different meters. I know every one will have different usage but some people are getting literally over 2 years and more than others out of a set of 6.

I have the Brymen 867s and the Fluke 177 for quick measurements too. One thing that drew me to the 289 I bought was it was still well in calibration when I bought it so was able to check my other meters against it and it gave some kind of bench mark as to where my other meters were. They are both pretty much dead on with the 289 in most things which is good to know and gives me something to work from in future to know if any of them start drifting or whatever. I've taken plenty notes on them all, I know it's no scientific way to do it but it'll be good enough for me.
I just do simple hobby stuff.
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline edgelog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2018, 03:44:07 pm »
But the biggest annoyance is the internal superCRAPacitor issue   :palm:

I just got a new 289, and it looks to me as if there's a battery in the spot where the super cap used to be. It's even marked "BT1". Or is it a super cap after all?

Offline JohnPi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2018, 04:41:29 pm »
i bought my '289 for the logging feature, but didn't investigate enough -- you can't set a definite sampling interval; it tries to log more densely when the signal is changing and less when there are gaps -- but I want to choose how to do that, not let the meter (there is an option to set the threshold, but you can't do 0).

For logging, I now use my Mooshimeter instead -- it's probably not as accurate, but the battery lasts forever, I can log tons of data, and it connects easily to my phone.

I like my 87-V, but that's the last Fluke I'll buy.

Offline edgelog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2018, 04:50:14 pm »
i bought my '289 for the logging feature, but didn't investigate enough -- you can't set a definite sampling interval; it tries to log more densely when the signal is changing and less when there are gaps -- but I want to choose how to do that, not let the meter (there is an option to set the threshold, but you can't do 0).

If I go to "Setup" -> "Recording" -> "Event Threshold for Recording", I can set that to "off", or a choice of numbers from 1 through 25%. "Off" ought to be what you're looking for (no, I haven't tested).

Offline emax

• Contributor
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2018, 09:32:08 pm »
The longer I have it, the more I love it.

The only little imperfection which comes to my mind is the somewhat wobbly support. But on the bench it has a defined place where this doesn't matter, and outdoors it usually lies flat. I'd anyway never give up all the advantages for this little shortcoming.

Concerning batteries: I use Eneloops. The Fluke shows "battery half drained" already after a short while, but this doesn't bother me any more: the Eneloops maintain this state for quite a long time and if they are finally drained, I just take a fresh sixpack out of the fridge and everything is fine.

I am very satisfied with the overall performance and precision. I must admit that I am not a professional user which has to stand the booting time every day. But whichever DMM I compare it to, the 289 wins in almost every respect: Data logging off any pc is a piece of cake. Precision, sturdiness, safety, even the display is a pleasure because it is absolutely perfect in bright sunlight and still good on the bench. The modern TFT displays suffer all from the same problem: They are hardly outdoor-suited (and I use to use the Fluke outdoors). For example the Uni-T display fell outdoors simply beyond the pale, and in sunlight it was plainly unreadable .

Another competitor is the Extech GX900. It has some really nice features. But it doesn't feel as sturdy as the Fluke (see mjlortons review), drops resolution earlier than the 289, offers 1/5th of the datapoints for logging and - costs even more. No, I haven't yet found something convincing which could replace my 289.

This is, of course, my very personal appraisal.

For me, it is a really great meter.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 09:37:39 pm by emax »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2018, 11:41:25 pm »
I haven't been able to try out a 289/87, but I love my 87V. It's a simple, no-nonsense meter and that's what I wanted. However, for a second nice, name brand multimeter, is a fancier one worth it?

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2018, 04:45:36 am »
I haven't been able to try out a 289/87, but I love my 87V. It's a simple, no-nonsense meter and that's what I wanted. However, for a second nice, name brand multimeter, is a fancier one worth it?

Well, features wise, you can read each datasheet yourself, but sizes wise, here to give you the idea of 287/9 compared to your 87V, it feels like a brick.  ::)

The BBB, the Beauty, the Beast and the Brick.  (87V,189,287)

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2018, 05:17:33 am »

Well, features wise, you can read each datasheet yourself, but sizes wise, here to give you the idea of 287/9 compared to your 87V, it feels like a brick.  ::)

Wow, that thing IS a brick. And I thought the 87 was big...

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2018, 05:39:54 am »

A friend of mine has the 289 and loaned it to me to try out.  They really like the meter.   Personally, I would take that 189 you show over the 289.  IMO, that 189 is just a nice all around meter.   

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2018, 05:44:12 am »
Wow, that thing IS a brick. And I thought the 87 was big...

Also the 189 and 287/9 have the yellow rubber jacket molded tight permanently at the dark gray hard case, not like 87V which is detachable, that makes it even smaller when detached.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2018, 05:53:32 am »
A friend of mine has the 289 and loaned it to me to try out.  They really like the meter.   Personally, I would take that 189 you show over the 289.  IMO, that 189 is just a nice all around meter.   

+1, as I own these three, 189 is my 1st choice, no contest here.

Imo, 87V is more a technician's DMM hence limited features, while 287/9 is more like a miniaturized full features bench DMM with all the bells & whistles, the 189 has the sweet spot and also boot instantly like 87V does, and almost has all the 287/9 features except graphical chart, also the dot matrix LCD at 287/9 is sux compared to solid dark and sharp LCD segments, believe most people are with me here on the display part. And 189 uses AA cells.  :-+

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2018, 01:41:09 pm »

+1, as I own these three, 189 is my 1st choice, no contest here.

Imo, 87V is more a technician's DMM hence limited features, while 287/9 is more like a miniaturized full features bench DMM with all the bells & whistles, the 189 has the sweet spot and also boot instantly like 87V does, and almost has all the 287/9 features except graphical chart, also the dot matrix LCD at 287/9 is sux compared to solid dark and sharp LCD segments, believe most people are with me here on the display part. And 189 uses AA cells.  :-+
I agree on the 87V and never understood the continued hype surrounding it.  Their primary market is techs and electricians so I guess it makes some sense.  I would consider it a very high end meter for these groups. 

UNI-T made what I consider to be a clone of the 289.  I felt they had made some improvements over the 289's UI.   Overall I like how the UT181A drives.  Menus on both meters are easy to navigate without picking up a manual (unlike my Gossen).  UNI-T could make a few changes to that 181A that I feel would go a long way to improve it.   I don't see Fortive changing the direction Fluke and others.   

I think there is room for a modern, high quality version of that meter.  Maybe Brymen will take a shot at a 289 clone.  They already have what I consider decent replacement for the 189. 

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2018, 12:54:10 am »
I think the 289 should be reworked redesigned ....

Have you seen the 189 look a like copy ?  VICTOR VC98A or the VICTOR VC98A+ ?

To me the 187 and 189  where the best ones from Fluke, the 287 / 289 is over designed  overhyped ... Maybe Uni-t will up their game ?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:56:18 am by coromonadalix »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2018, 03:22:51 am »
Have you seen the 189 look a like copy ?  VICTOR VC98A or the VICTOR VC98A+ ?

To me the 187 and 189  where the best ones from Fluke, the 287 / 289 is over designed  overhyped ... Maybe Uni-t will up their game ?
Does look like a copy.  I couldn't find any pictures of the internals.  There was one video where a guy shows a meter from them but just blabs about it for a half hour and never even takes it apart.   

I ran a Victor branded pocket meter that didn't hold up very well.  Not that this VC98A wouldn't do better.   I picked up a beat up, non-working Fluke 189 to have some fun with.  Even as old as it is and how badly it had been abused, there are few meters that I've looked at that could take this sort of punishment.  It may be fun to see how well the Victor clone holds up.   

https://youtu.be/fHIPGIyLJ3M   

Offline bc888

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2018, 03:32:09 am »
Wow, near dead nutz on. I thought Fluke sued Tek (before they were bought be Danaher) for using that yellow cover scheme? Didn't Sparkfun also just have a bunch of yellow meters repoed by customs at Flukes direction as they were yellow and violated the Fluke look or some such? Victor copied the near exact layout of the buttons it appears. Put the Memory selection on the dial is all.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 03:34:37 am by bc888 »

Offline bc888

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2018, 04:26:31 pm »

I have a Fluke 189 II. Popped it open last night and checked the Supercap to see if it's leaking and it looked brand new. Can anyone advise what kind of time frame (if any) or how many hours of use until I can expect the brown goo to appear?

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2018, 06:29:21 pm »
Nothing is perfect, therefore I decided to have perfect combination (289, 189, 117)  8)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 06:31:13 pm by BFX »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2018, 03:09:45 am »
have you seen this one ?  Victor VC 189A   55000 count dmm   strange ressemblance once again ..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/55000-Count-Multimeter-Accuracy-0-025-1ms-Peak-Sampling-True-RMS-TC-RTD-Log-USB/273547731456

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2018, 02:12:12 am »
Saw this one the other day.  May make a decent meter for someone depending how high it goes.     

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-189-Digital-Logging-Multimeter-16173/113372028783?epid=1183286963&hash=item1a657fdf6f:g:B2oAAOSwE95b634H:rk:48:pf:0

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2018, 02:10:23 am »
If its working, $150 seems like a good price.

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2018, 07:55:27 am »
I picked up a beat up, non-working Fluke 189 to have some fun with.  Even as old as it is and how badly it had been abused, there are few meters that I've looked at that could take this sort of punishment

As I recall (been a long time since I last used my 189) it went though batteries. My 289 is a big battery eater as well. I like my 117 but I've switched back to the 87V because of AutoHOLD.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2018, 12:02:03 pm »
Manual for the 189 shows it around 70 hours.    The manual for my GMW Ultra shows 200.  Turn on the BT option, it can't make it a day.  This is the only handheld meter I have with a connector for an external battery pack.   The Fluke 97 scope meter has the shortest battery life of anything I have.  You get about a work day with it.  It can run from the external power supply but I bought it for portable use. 

The UNI-T UT181A is basically useless once the battery is dead.  You have to plug it in and charge it which takes overnight.

Offline M0UKD

• Contributor
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2018, 04:36:57 pm »
I kind of agree. I too have a 289 and find myself using the 87-V more, unless I really need the extra features of the 289.
The meter I use most is the 83-V as it lives in my toolbox. Great value second hand, if you don't need true RMS.

Online HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2018, 04:49:36 pm »
As I recall (been a long time since I last used my 189) it went though batteries. My 289 is a big battery eater as well. I like my 117 but I've switched back to the 87V because of AutoHOLD.

I have never seen the 189 as a battery eater and I have used it a lot for logging with a computer.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2018, 02:21:38 am »
the 189  with the bp189 battery pack is around 440 hrs  loll   managed to get 3 of them ... :)  i only miss the ir189 kit

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf