Author Topic: Recommendation Request - NEW Rigol DS1054Z or USED Tektronix 2467BHD  (Read 39792 times)

Offline SteveLy

• Regular Contributor
Re: Recommendation Request - NEW Rigol DS1054Z or USED Tektronix 2467BHD
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2015, 02:50:33 pm »
Most unfair since the DS1054Z is a 50MHz scope. And yours is not a screenshot. Analog scopes don't do screenshots.

Actually, that is exactly where the term 'screenshot' comes from - taking a picture of the image on an analog scope's CRT with a special photographic camera.
Thanks (to you and to the previous poster too who made similar comment). It makes sense. One learns something new most days. Regular sampling is what stuffs up digital displays, even ones with good graded intensity. When the frequencies of the signals being displayed and the sampling rate are irrational ratios (or near-enough-to, like Howardlong's 101MHz AM signal a couple of pages ago), the sampling artefacts tend to go away. Some randomness in the sampling rate could also get rid of the artefacts that but it would also greatly complicate a DSO's design and operation.

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2015, 05:26:48 pm »

Modern test equipment is built not to be repaired

That is probably true for cheap Chinese B-brand kit like the gear from Rigol and Siglent but most big brand gear (aside from the cheap bottom-of-the-barrel stuff) definitely is designed for repair. What has changed however is how the repair is performed. In the old days, components were replaced in the field, but due to the much higher integration these days it's mostly module/board swaps where at the customer site the defective module/board is replaced, and the defective board goes back to the manufacturer for repair and thorough testing, and afterwards ends up in storage waiting to be used as a spare in another customer's instrument. Alternatively, in many cases the defective board can be sent in for repair, which might be cheaper but takes longer than the onsite replacement (often a defective instrument can be brought up again in less than an hour).
[/quote]

Just guessing he meant "Modern test equipment is built not to be repaired" BY THE END USER. The module is replaced by a Factory Authorized Servicer. No Service Manuals, No Schematics, No Component Level information. No modules for sale either, at least for the customers...
Unless you are under warranty, you'll be paying for "Authorized" servicing only.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2015, 01:20:12 pm »
Just guessing he meant "Modern test equipment is built not to be repaired" BY THE END USER. The module is replaced by a Factory Authorized Servicer. No Service Manuals, No Schematics, No Component Level information. No modules for sale either, at least for the customers...

But that would be incorrect as well. Every big brand sells you individual parts, boards, modules, you name it. You can usually also get service/maintenance manuals, too (although often without schematics, but for replacing modules that's not really an issue), either for free or paid.

Some big brands (i.e. LeCroy) also accept you sending in a board for repair, which can be noticably cheaper than sending in the whole instrument.

Unless you are under warranty, you'll be paying for "Authorized" servicing only.

Not really. I lost count of the newer out-of-warranty test equipment I have repaired over the years, and had little problems getting spares and documentation for it.

As I said before, the way repairs are done has changed, but in general modern big brand kit is still repairable.

Offline electrongeek

• Contributor
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2015, 04:35:19 pm »
I have both a Tek 2465A and a DS1054Z. I bought the 2465A cheap because it had an intermittent triggering problem. After extensive trouble shooting and empiric parts replacement, and help from the TekScopes Yahoo group, I narrowed it down to a failed trigger hybrid IC. That was cured . by buying a dead 2445 to be a donor. After that I recapped the LV power supply for good measure. So what I'm saying is that I love that scope and it has a lot of my sweat in it - albeit fun sweat. It works FB too and I doubt I will ever let it go.

However, the DS1054Z gets the most use on my bench. Its just too convenient and useful. I do still use the 2465A on occasion - usually just for the heck of it. It is extremely rare that I will find it is needed instead of the DS1054Z.

So I would say that you should buy the DS1054Z with your $400. Then, just for fun at a later date, buy one of those older Tek scopes - a broken one for a song - and make it good again. I really enjoyed diving into mine. You will also be able to use your newer scope to troubleshoot the older scope. Double bonus!

Offline Alfons

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2015, 07:58:12 pm »
What are we talking about? Such a device such as the Rigol 1054Z has so far at such a price never existed for the hobby area. Not so long ago would have been very, very much money paid for a device of this performance class. And of course also fascinate me the old equipment from Tek or HP, as I previously would never have to buy. These are two worlds: high-tech from China today (incidentally, no B-Ware, but good equipment) and the old guard of devices, that could only afford laboratories and industry. Realistically consider, we talk about emotions. :) The concern, that quality disappears. We will see...

Offline mtchastainTopic starter

« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2015, 12:35:50 pm »

Hi All,
Wanted to send along an update to my last email, seems the jolly fat man made am early appearance today at my house. Guess I was good this year....

-Matt

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf