Author Topic: Anritsu MD8470A - Signalling Tester  (Read 2286 times)

Offline BicuricoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
Anritsu MD8470A - Signalling Tester
« on: March 16, 2018, 06:34:25 pm »
Hi,

I bought myself an Anritsu MD8470A Signalling Tester, which is on it's way from the United States to Porto/Portugal. It may take two or three weeks until the device arrives - hopefully in working order. This is the first time I am trying out the eBay Global Shipping Center.

Why did I buy this device? Hard to tell... Basically I already own tons of test equipment for TV, CATV, SAT and radio, including amateur radio, but apart from two R&S CRTU, I have no test equipment for mobile phones.

So I spent around 300 Euro (a tiny bit more, for the pedantic amongst us) in order to have this interesting device and basically to learn more about how 2G-3.5G works, which are aparently the supported protocols.

This device basically emulates a network and antenna. So your phone can register to it as if it was a regular mobile phone provider. You can then make calls, send SMS (hopefully service SMS, too), etc. And of course you can do all kind of measurements.

Hacking wise, I am interested to see, if one can unlock or activate phones. To reset and initialize an iPhone, for instance, you need to have a SIM of the locked operator and register to it. I wonder if I can program a PIC-based SIM and then emulate the required provider with this device. Note that I don't know if something like this is possible or what could be possible. That is the goal in first place: to educate myself. And for such education, I find the purchase price OK.

This post is, however, not meant to justify why I spend my money on weird things!

What I really want to know:

1) Who else has such kind of test equipment? What do you do with it?
2) I tried to download firmware/software from Anritsu for this device. Unfortunately, after registration and submission of the serial number, I am prompted with the further requirement of having a valid support contract! Why on earth don't they ask for that in the first place? So here is the question: who has backups of the HDD, who has firmware/software releases? I don't actually need them, since the device is supposed to be in working order, but I like to do my homework and build a repository, just in case.

Thanks for reading!

Regards,
Vitor

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:38:51 pm by Bicurico »

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Anritsu MD8470A - Signalling Tester
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 07:51:42 pm »
I have a way too much of this stuff (Anritsu MD8470A, 2x Anritsu MD8480C, Agilent E6621A (LTE), Agilent E7515A (2G+3G+LTE), a couple of R+S CRTU, Racal 6103E/G) :). But I've learned a lot about GSM by experimenting with OsmocomBB and a CRTU tester, for example.

Oh, and you can absolutely do what you were interested in. For example you can just take their "MNS" demo app, which simulates a network, and enter your settings (MCC/MNC etc). For 3G/LTE you need to get encryption working though since most phones don't accepted non-authenticated connections. For GSM that's not an issue, and most devices happily downgrade to GSM. I had a lot of fun doing man-in-the-middle for GSM devices (like the T-Mobile Sidekick, GPS trackers and OBD-2 dongles). Even just for tracing the network traffic they are great.

You can also write custom scripts (like for the MD8480C), and send individual data packets.

Regarding software, yes a backup is important - that stuff is insanely hard to obtain. Even when Anritsu (for my MG3700A for example) claims that you can just download their software, they stopped talking to me after they heard that I'm not the first buyer of the device... (Luckily the installed firmware works well).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:54:31 pm by tmbinc »

Offline shuvodutta

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 06:59:10 pm »
Hi,

I've recently placed order for an Anritsu MD8480C on ebay.in and yet to receive it. My intention is same as O.P. (...to learn more about how 2G-3.5G works...)  :D

I'm yet to find out the Software Options Installed.

The problem is I'm unable to get any resources for this Unit from Anritsu. As O.P. has already explained, Anritsu needs a 'Valid Support Contract' to Download anything useful for such devices. I was planning to contact Anritsu directly but after reading the reply from tmbinc I don't think it's going to be helpful.

How shall I get User Manual (Service Manual will be great but I think that's too much to ask.) or any Other Documentation (other than Product Brochures) and Software (Firmware/Control Software for P.C.)? In short, how shall I start using this Unit? (It looks like this Unit does not have any Controls/Switches on it's own.)

I should have started another thread probably but as O.P. and tmbinc mentioned; already they own and familiar with such equipments, I would like to get their valuable advice.

Thanks in advance...  :)

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 04:46:15 pm »
Hi.

Sorry for answering only now.

I received my device yesterday andi it seems to be fully working. Optically it looks almost as brand new.

As you I don't have any documentation or software. I will have to do a full cline of the HDD as soon as possible. For that I need to figure out the best way without having to open the device as it still have the original seals in place.

But fortunately the different applications have a minimal online help.

I am not sure about your device and its capabilities but it certainly has VGA and USB so you can use it as a regular PC?

Regards
Vitor

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 09:01:28 pm »
Hi,

Does anyone know if I can connect a regular phone handset or if a special Anritsu handset is required, as mentioned in the manual?

https://www.artisantg.com/info/PDF__4D4438343730415F56342E30305F4D616E75616C5F456E67.pdf

Thanks,
Vitor

Offline shuvodutta

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 02:41:03 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for the response and sorry for this late reply.
I've received my Unit today only. It powers on fine. (That's the only thing I can test at this moment.) Unfortunately it does not have any V.G.A. Out Port, Only U.S.B. B Port and Ethernet Connector for 'Control P.C.'... :(
(It looks fine visually (No serious damage marks, slight bent on front left side. Though I doubt how much 'Good Transport Handling' this Unit has seen, specifically being a heavy unit.) and this Unit was in Ericsson earlier... :D)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 02:52:02 pm by shuvodutta »

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 03:05:01 pm »
You have a difficult task ahead...

There seems to be NO DOCUMENTATION available anywhere!

Fortunately, on my device there were a few PDF manuals. I don't know if your device has an internal HDD which you could try to scan for documentation.

I think your unit is remote controlled by units similar to mine. This will allow to build up a bigger simulated mobile network with routing, simulated Internet services, etc. (Note: I am not sure about any of this!)

No idea how to configure that.

Send me a PM with your email and I send you my manuals, which at least can serve as a starting point.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline shuvodutta

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 09:07:00 am »
Hi,

I've sent you P.M. with the details.

Offline ZL1CVD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 01:06:05 pm »
Anyone got any more information on this. I'd like to see some internal shots. Does it have any normal PCI or other standard PC type ports?

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 09:37:24 pm »
Hi,

I have not opened mine and I have no intention to do so: it has still all original seals on it and is working 100%. I could do the necessary backups without opening the device.

Opening the device for no other reason as to look inside comes with a loss of value, in case I decide to sell it on in the future. The loss of value results from:
- The future buyer would not be 100% certain if the device has been tampered, modified, stripped of any module or damaged.
- Without the original seals in place, Anritsu will certainly refuse any support, repair or maintenance. Not that I could afford it...

The same reasoning might prevent others to open theirs, which is why I am explaining all of this.

Note that this device was originally sold for +40.000 Euro and even now it lists on eBay for more than US$800 - not something you "play" with for no particular reason - at least myself.

Anyway, having said all of this, I googled for pictures of the inside of an MD8470A and came across this website: https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ngydx785/19840344.html

Google-Translated: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ngydx785/19840344.html

More:
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ja&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ngydx785/19919311.html
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ja&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ngydx785/19834669.html

Enjoy!

Regards,
Vitor

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 09:39:44 pm by Bicurico »

The following users thanked this post: ZL1CVD

Offline ZL1CVD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 05:58:38 am »
that looks great and great work finding that pictures! Just what i wanted. I really like the case & layout Anritsu product has. I'm also looking at MF6900A. I am hoping it has faster uP..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf