Author Topic: Any alternatives to the Keysight BenchVue software?  (Read 10210 times)

Offline deamonataTopic starter

Any alternatives to the Keysight BenchVue software?
« on: March 08, 2018, 05:13:37 pm »
Is anyone aware of any alternatives to the BenchVue software? I'm really not a big fan of it, it's clunky, buggy and altogether a bit of a mess, which leave a bad taste in your mouth when you then want to use a meter (or other pieces of test equipment) and discover that in order to get the full functionality you have to spend even more money on their extortionately priced modules. This is compounded by the fact that when we actually bought the meter in question the Agilent DMM software was still in use and gave us the full functionality for free.

Sorry for the rant but yeah does anyone know of any alternatives that are any good?

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
Re: Any alternatives to the Keysight BenchVue software?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 05:19:16 pm »
Have a look at Ulrich Bangert's EZGPIB package.  It is no longer maintained -- unfortunately because Ulrich, DF6JB is no longer with us -- but lots of people still find it useful.

Also check out https://github.com/lxi-tools/lxi-tools for a newer, actively-maintained effort.

Beyond that, what functionality are you looking for, exactly?  My toolset has some rudimentary support for VISA access to a 3446xA DMM over VISA, but there's nothing graphical, only a quick and dirty console app.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 05:41:28 pm »
There are also tools like PyVisa which gives you a Visa add-on for Python.

There's also Labview Home for $50.  However, it's actually Labview 14 Home, it's not officially compatible with Windows 10, and I can't find anything that suggests that it will ever be updated.

Ed

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 09:36:32 am »
I know it's not really an equivalent to LabView but, for the same ends, I am trying to establish a Visual Studio 2017 + NI VISA Drivers environment on my Windows 10, 64 bit PC.  I'm taking this route because:

a. It's free
b. It would allow forms once created to be distributed easily
c. I have some experience with Windows Forms for VB.Net

This should allow me to create Windows Forms that can access all my test gear and form stand-alone windows utilities that would perform specific tasks like calibrate a DP832 using a xxxxx bench meter.  I envision that the code would follow a simple state machine with tabs on the form so the first tab would be connections, the next settings, and subsequent tabs to perform actual tasks.

If you want to follow progress, the thread is here
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline peertux

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 09:39:46 am »
Have you tried Keysight command expert, it also has the possibility to program third party instruments.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 09:55:34 am »
Have you tried Keysight command expert, it also has the possibility to program third party instruments.
Wow! I wasn't aware of the existence of this FREE software..  this is a good summary sheet.

But how do you work with non-Keysight instruments?  For example, how would you connect to a Rigol DP832?  Is it possible to create your own drivers with help from Keysight Command Expert?

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 09:59:02 am »
But how do you work with non-Keysight instruments?  For example, how would you connect to a Rigol DP832?  Is it possible to create your own drivers with help from Keysight Command Expert?
There are some really good Keysight YouTube videos, explaining the use of Command Expert with other brand instruments.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 10:22:10 am »
Depending on what you want and how much effort you want to put in, there is always the option of making soething in Matlab (or octave, but I don't know to what extent octave has cloned the instrument control toolbox from matlab) or Python.
I am doing something similar for the sake of learning.
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 10:22:54 am »
High Voltage - Thanks, I'm reading up on it now, it looks pretty good so far.  I'll report back on my findings.

Offline jeremy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 01:02:50 pm »
I use python-ivi with jupyter notebooks. If you are more into clicking buttons, you can use the jupyter widgets: http://ipywidgets.readthedocs.io/en/latest/examples/Using%20Interact.html

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 04:47:46 pm »
Wow! I wasn't aware of the existence of this FREE software..  this is a good summary sheet.

Looks like you can use the DP832.  Command Expert uses drivers from the IVI (Interchangeable Virtual Instruments) Foundation www.ivifoundation.org .  The Rigol DP832 is listed in their driver registry.

Does anyone know if there are any pre-SCPI devices in that IVI driver listing?

Ed

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 12:28:00 am »
I'm going to try it anyway this weekend but does anyone know if the Command Expert drivers conflict with the NI VISA drivers?

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 10:51:22 am »
I was so tired of the VISA conflicts between NI/Keithley and Keysight, that I got a separate laptop for the Keithley instruments and one for the Keysight instruments. Command Expert required the Keysight/Agilent I/O library to be installed with the Keysight VISA activated.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 11:22:48 am »
Hmmm, I don't own any Keithley instruments so maybe I should uninstall the NI drivers and install Command Expert?

Offline dacman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 07:30:46 pm »
Keysight VISA installation offers to install as a secondary VISA and to leave NI-VISA as primary (even if NI is not installed), then Keysight Command Expert and BenchVue will use the secondary VISA.

I did use NI MAX the other day to control a Keysight power supply that had only RJ-45 and USB remote ports, although I had to manually type in the commands.

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline Jester

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 08:41:25 pm »
I just tried installing command expert with Win7. I'm not sure what the conflict is but all I get is a "swirly" over a black pane, after 5 minutes of swirly I gave up...  It really should not be this difficult,  I'm loosing faith.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:43:05 pm by Jester »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 09:13:36 am »
I installed Keysight Command Expert on my 4k Windows 10, 64 bit laptop; it reported success and told me it needed Keysight IO drivers which I found, downloaded and installed.  The driver installation was when it said it would install as secondary..

The main software runs fine and the only criticism (so far) is that the help has the tiny text and icon issue associated with older programs running on 4k screens - the solutions are:

a. Use a lower screen resolution
b. Use a magnifying glass (yes they are that small)
c. Wait for Keysight to fix
d. Use on a lower resolution PC.

I will get to trying with actual test gear in a day or so.

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 10:06:56 am »
Great, that you got it running!
Every time in Command Expert, when you add an instrument, it downloads the command set for that instrument.

I have used the software only on Win7 64 so far on a 1920x1080 screen and all buttons were good readable.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 10:57:08 am »
There are many programs that are affected by the tiny icons and text issue, even though 4k is becoming fairly ordinary.

TI's Code Composer Studio is one and Diptrace 64 bit is another (curiously, the workaround for Diptrace is to install the 32 bit version).

I attached a screen shot so you can see what it looks like - is anyone from Keysight looking at this I wonder?

[EDIT] Ran up today and connected to my 34461A and was able to control it with simple mouse clicks :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:06:06 pm by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 02:32:57 pm »
OK, so I added the Keysight 34461A, that was recognized and the list of commands was there.  Then I tried to add the Rigol DP832.  I had to use Keysight Connection Expert to find it using just the IP address before Keysight Command Expert could even see it but now, from either App, there's no Command Set found which means I need to add it.

edpalmer42 you said it was available from the IVI website but how do I add it?

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2020, 01:12:09 am »
Hi,

I am also not a big fan of BenchVue and I am working in a mixed hardware environment (Keysight, Tek, Rigol, R&S).
If screenshots is what you need I wrote a Python script doing it.

https://electronicprojectsforfun.wordpress.com/a-generic-screen-capture-tool-for-scpi-instruments/

maybe that works.

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2020, 09:49:57 am »
Hi,

I am also not a big fan of BenchVue and I am working in a mixed hardware environment (Keysight, Tek, Rigol, R&S).
If screenshots is what you need I wrote a Python script doing it.

https://electronicprojectsforfun.wordpress.com/a-generic-screen-capture-tool-for-scpi-instruments/

maybe that works.

Thank you, Wolfgang, I will try your software.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2020, 10:12:32 am »
Thanks ! Please report any bugs, I will try to fix.

Offline robertcraigbyrd

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2022, 08:06:45 pm »
Yes, ScpiStudio from Automated Integrated Solutions.  Check out their website (www.automatedintegratedsolutions.com)

858-486-0200

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2022, 08:22:48 pm »
+1 for Python/pyvisa

John
"Reality is that which, when you quit believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (RIP).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf