Author Topic: Any opinion on Fluke 107?  (Read 26879 times)

Offline zaptaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Any opinion on Fluke 107?
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:52:09 pm »
Hi all,

I am looking for a small DMM for general work around the house and car. Strong preference for a simple, compact, good quality, backlight and aesthetic look (subjective of course). During my research I stumbled upon the Fluke 107. It seems to be smaller than my other candidates Fluke 117 and Fluke 15B, just about my perfect size.

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/inen/digital-multimeters/compact-multimeters/fluke-107-digital-multimeter.htm?PID=77007

It is available (Chinese version?) on Alibaba in single quantities with shipping to the US for sub $100.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-New-fluke-107-F107-200g-handheld-Pocket-digital-multimeter-diode-test-Backlight-with-magnetic-Strap/1285231514.html

Anybody has any experience or an opinion about this Fluke line?

Thanks,

zapta
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 11:07:20 pm by zapta »

alm

Re: Any opinion on Fluke 107?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 11:01:21 pm »
No experiences that I've seen, but some opinions:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/any-teardown-pictures-of-new-fluke-101-106-107-palm-sized-multimeter

You can use Google to search the EEVblog form using 'site:eevblog.com'.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 01:52:41 am »
I don't know. I've been wanting to hear a review of that meter for some time. Seems good for electronics work.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 04:27:23 am »
Read the other thread. This series of meters is NOT meant for electronics. It is missing millivolts range on DC, milliamp and microamps, and has a very limited frequency measurement range. The Fluke 17B is a better electronics meter than this.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 05:14:28 am »
Thanks everybody for the info. I understand that the 107 is limited (uA, true RMS, etc) but I need it only for occasional works around the house, car etc and like the convenience due to the simplicity, form factor and backlight. For electronic works I have an old Metex 3860D and a Tektronis DSO.   I think I will give it a try and order from Alibaba Express. Never order from them, hopefully they will accept my order and will actually ship to the US.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 06:46:42 am »
I think I will give it a try and order from Alibaba Express. Never order from them, hopefully they will accept my order and will actually ship to the US.
If you get the Fluke 107, please provide some photos of the inside as many of us here are curious.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 04:32:17 pm »
If you get the Fluke 107, please provide some photos of the inside as many of us here are curious.

Will do. Just placed an order.

After viewing so many eevblog multimeter teardown videos I think I know what to look for ;-)

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 08:15:39 pm »
[..] and like the convenience due to the simplicity, form factor and backlight. [..]

How often are you probing things in darkness? No, seriously, if someone could explain to me the purpose of this feature, please. One of my cheap meters has a backlight as well but I never found poking circuits with probes when I can't see shit a particularly bright idea (pun very much intended). Of course I assume that the LCD isn't so bad by itself that it doesn't offer decent contrast in any amount of light that allows me to actually see what I'm doing. Backlit watch, phone, TV remote - sure, but DMM? :-//
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:04:30 pm by Zbig »

Offline crisr

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 08:49:09 pm »
How often are you probing things in darkness? No, seriously, if someone could explain to me the purpose of this feature, please. One of my cheap meters has a backlight as well but I never found poking circuits with probes when I can't see shit a particularly bright idea (pun very much intended). Of course I assume that the LCD isn't so bad by itself that it doesn't offer decent contrast in any amount of light that allows me to actually see what I'm doing. Backlight watch, phone, TV remote - sure, but DMM? :-//

I like to work at night on my workbench, with the ceiling lights off and using just directed lighting on my work. While monitoring measurements with the DMM a little to the side, the backlight is very useful. I don't go probing in the dark, but sometimes when leaving the DMM connected to some line you need to monitor for some specific event, backlight also helps.

When not on the bench, like in a wiring closet or below the dashboard of your car you might need to place the DMM in a (dark) corner while using a flashlight that illuminates only the contacts you need to probe; with the backlight on all you need is a glance at the DMM to view the reading.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 08:57:50 pm »
I like to work at night on my workbench, with the ceiling lights off and using just directed lighting on my work. While monitoring measurements with the DMM a little to the side, the backlight is very useful. I don't go probing in the dark, but sometimes when leaving the DMM connected to some line you need to monitor for some specific event, backlight also helps.

When not on the bench, like in a wiring closet or below the dashboard of your car you might need to place the DMM in a (dark) corner while using a flashlight that illuminates only the contacts you need to probe; with the backlight on all you need is a glance at the DMM to view the reading.

Hmm... ok, I can imagine that a practical scenario, thanks.

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 09:23:32 pm »
Check new HIOKI meters.

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 10:00:00 pm »
[..] and like the convenience due to the simplicity, form factor and backlight. [..]

How often are you probing things in darkness? No, seriously, if someone could explain to me the purpose of this feature, please. One of my cheap meters has a backlight as well but I never found poking circuits with probes when I can't see shit a particularly bright idea (pun very much intended). Of course I assume that the LCD isn't so bad by itself that it doesn't offer decent contrast in any amount of light that allows me to actually see what I'm doing. Backlit watch, phone, TV remote - sure, but DMM? :-//
I can think of two reasons to want the back light.  Not all meters have good screen contrast.  The latest Flukes like the 11x series have relatively low contrast compared to some of the older models I've used.  The lower contrast isn't that big a deal if you have good lighting but sometimes the lighting isn't as good as you would like. 
Second, not all meters are used on the bench.  I was working on a CNC mill years back and the lighting was poor once you got into the control boxes behind the unit.  It was good enough to see where I was sticking the probes but not to read the display of the meter sitting in the bottom of a control box. 
It's not a critical thing but it can be really nice.  I personally like that the Fluke meters seem to leave the light on for a long time. 

Offline nack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 10:50:30 pm »
Interesting. Have a look at the size comparison:

alm

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 03:15:26 am »
No, seriously, if someone could explain to me the purpose of this feature, please.
Have you ever used your meter away from the comfort of your bench? These meters are mainly aimed at electricians. Electricians don't work on a well-lit bench all day, but have to crawl in odd, possibly poorly-lit spaces. Investigating a tripped breaker for a lighting circuit so you only have to work under emergency lighting is one example. Fluke also makes a light that clips on your probe, which is very useful under those conditions.

What Robomeds said, essentially ;).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 04:13:53 am »
Interesting. Have a look at the size comparison:

Thanks for the picture. I assumed that the 107 is the same size as the 101. Anyway, of the four the 107 is the only one with backlight display so it's my first choice.

Offline nack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 09:07:13 am »
I have also found the manuals. Specs inside...

The 107 looks like a nice general purpose, carry-around, meter. Lets hope the display contrast is better than on the 115/117 series, which highly disappointed me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 08:25:36 pm »
Fluke 107 arrived and I am happy with it. First impressions here

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/review-first-impression-of-the-fluke-107-multimeter/

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 01:27:37 pm »
Just as a curiosity question, what would Fluke put an AC mV range on this meter and not include a DC mV range.  What applications are there for AC mV?

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 04:04:31 pm »

How often are you probing things in darkness?

Pretty frequently in my experience. Aside from the hit to battery life, that's a great feature.  I can think of lots of times where I've been in machine cabinets or dark-ish factories where I'd have really appreciated a backlight or OLED. 

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2014, 06:27:29 am »

How often are you probing things in darkness? No, seriously, if someone could explain to me the purpose of this feature, please.

After I made a circuit, I often do data logging overnight with PC monitor turned off and no lights.  Often, I would found it helpful if I can look at the DMM for a quick check (is it still running at what I expect?) without having to turn another light just to see.  I now have an LED aiming at the meter but eliminating that would be nice.

To put it in perspective, this problem is not important/valuable enough for me to risk doing one of those back-light mod for my UT61E however.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2014, 06:46:21 am »
I have a few cheap meters with the backlight, and it is useful in cramped dark spaces to see the display, especially if the torch is in use to see what the probes are on.

Offline Multimetertools

• !
  • Multimeter Info
    • MultimeterInfo
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2023, 05:40:40 am »
 The Fluke 107 Multimeter is a popular and reliable multimeter that has been used by professionals for decades. It is an excellent choice for residential and commercial applications as it provides accurate readings over a wide range of current and voltage measurements. The device offers auto-ranging capability, meaning it can automatically select the correct measurement range. It also features non-contact voltage detection, making it safe around live circuits. This feature helps avoid potentially hazardous situations caused by accidental contact with energized wires or components. Additionally, its small size makes it easy to carry around in tool bags or pockets.

Regarding performance, users have generally provided positive feedback on the Fluke 107 Multimeter. Its accuracy is considered to be top-notch, and it is well-built, making it suitable for tough job site environments. It also has a backlight display, allowing users to read measurements even in low-light conditions. The Fluke 107 Multimeter is an excellent option for those looking for a reliable multimeter that offers great value for money.

Many users have had a positive experience with the Fluke 107 Multimeter. With its accuracy and build quality, it’s no wonder professionals have trusted it for decades. It is an option worth considering if you are looking for a reliable multimeter.

LINK REMOVED
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 08:34:57 am by EEVblog »
Multimeter Tools Information.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2023, 05:54:12 am »
The Fluke 107 Multimeter is a popular and reliable multimeter that has been used by professionals for decades. It is an excellent choice for residential and commercial applications as it provides accurate readings over a wide range of current and voltage measurements. The device offers auto-ranging capability, meaning it can automatically select the correct measurement range. It also features non-contact voltage detection, making it safe around live circuits. This feature helps avoid potentially hazardous situations caused by accidental contact with energized wires or components. Additionally, its small size makes it easy to carry around in tool bags or pockets.

Regarding performance, users have generally provided positive feedback on the Fluke 107 Multimeter. Its accuracy is considered to be top-notch, and it is well-built, making it suitable for tough job site environments. It also has a backlight display, allowing users to read measurements even in low-light conditions. The Fluke 107 Multimeter is an excellent option for those looking for a reliable multimeter that offers great value for money.

Many users have had a positive experience with the Fluke 107 Multimeter. With its accuracy and build quality, it’s no wonder professionals have trusted it for decades. It is an option worth considering if you are looking for a reliable multimeter.

LINK REMOVED

Look at the date of the post mate, it's from 2013 and last reply before yours was 2014, so 9 years ago.

If the user is still today looking for a DMM (10 years after his question) currently there are a ton of better choices than the 107 or the 117.

Plus your reply sounds so much ChatGPT generated...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 01:31:43 pm by Black Phoenix »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2023, 08:37:03 am »
Plus your reply sounds so much ChatGPT generated...

Link removed.
Sounds like the site own (who seems genuine) has paid for advertising and they have spammed the forum.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2023, 01:32:32 pm »
Ahh OK, understandable.

I was expecting something like that but more to post in the Sales section.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf