Author Topic: Any reviews or experience with this function generator (MHS-2300A)?  (Read 54195 times)

Offline PaskyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I'm just a hobbyist looking to get my first signal/function generator.  I saw this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5MHz-Arbitrary-Waveform-Dual-Channel-DDS-Function-Signal-Generator-Sweep-2-4-Lcd-/111242019491?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e68a82a3

The reason it interests me the most is the ability to create wave forms on the PC, and also it's compact size.  I know I can get a decent 2Mhz name brand generator from tektronix or HP, but I don't have the real estate for one of those dinosaurs on my desk at the moment. 

I tried searching for reviews for this, but couldn't find any.  Maybe someone here has experience with these?  The thing that worries me the most is the UI, I see some of the labels are in Chinese, a language I do not read/write :P.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:10:17 am by Pasky »

The following users thanked this post: tonywood

• Regular Contributor
Re: Any reviews or experience with this function generator (MHS-2300A)?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 03:16:18 pm »
Anyone with experience with these FPGA signal generators in general then perhaps?  Are they usually accurate?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 08:32:55 pm »
Well, I ended up purchasing the 5Mhz model.  They also have a 10 and 20Mhz.  I'll try to do a tear down and take pictures when I receive it.

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:06:39 pm »
I haven't got experience whith them but the seem to be from the onehunglow factory and you get what you pay for it may be better to get a secondhand proper function gen
follow me on twitter @get_your_byte

Offline hedehede81

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 11:08:25 am »
Well, I ended up purchasing the 5Mhz model.  They also have a 10 and 20Mhz.  I'll try to do a tear down and take pictures when I receive it.

I've bought the 20mhz version and it didn't come with a software CD. Although the listing claims it can communicate with PC (and PC can control the instrument) and also receive arbitrary waveform data, I'm yet to find a software or serial protocol to send/receive data for this instrument. All I could find is Word document in Chinese which is the User Manual. Did you have any luck with this?

Offline hedehede81

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 08:51:11 pm »
I've found the factory that produces these and spoke to their engineer on the phone. We had a communication problem but I hope I made my point. He said he'll send something to me tomorrow, will let you guys the outcome. By the way, the interface is fully English and very easy to understand. I can totally use it standalone without even a user manual. In fact I'm impressed with the unit on my first tests with a scope. But this unit is also fully controllable through serial commands (wave type, freq, duty cycle etc) and also receive arbitrary waveform data from PC and to do these we need more info. I hope what he'll send includes the serial protocol and PC software.

Offline hedehede81

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 06:51:03 am »
Well, I received user manual (English) and serial protocol (Chinese) from the engineer, and he also said that the software will be ready in a week or so. I was able to translate the serial protocol through Google Translate and now I'm able to change every setting from the PC (wave freq,amp,duty cycle, machine settings), can control the instrument remotely (start/ stop, even send keypresses) and upload arbitrary waveform. I haven't fully tested arbitrary waveform part and will write more when I do that.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 06:54:06 am »
Please make a link to the software on here, as mine should be arriving sometime next week, thanks.

Offline hedehede81

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 09:38:05 am »
Please make a link to the software on here, as mine should be arriving sometime next week, thanks.

I'll link it when I receive don't worry. In fact PC software is redundant once you have the serial protocol, you can use this unit standalone or completely automate it from PC. I also succeeded uploading arbitrary waveform data from my PC, all you need is a serial terminal program. I'll give examples here if the software is not  ready when you receive your instrument.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 04:43:16 pm »
Great, I am a software programmer so that would work just as well.  Thank you so much.

Offline listener192

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 08:50:25 am »
Hi hedehede81,

I received the 5MHz version of the MHS-2300A and there is no operation manual. The manufacturers site doesn't allow a download of the manual, so would appreciate if you could forward a copy if its not too much trouble.

Thanks

Offline hedehede81

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 12:37:09 pm »
Hi hedehede81,

I received the 5MHz version of the MHS-2300A and there is no operation manual. The manufacturers site doesn't allow a download of the manual, so would appreciate if you could forward a copy if its not too much trouble.

Thanks

Here is the user manual:
http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/22982647/file.html

Offline listener192

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 03:28:18 pm »
Hi Hedehede81,

Thanks so much, appreciate the help!

Did you also have the remote commands either in Chinese or in English you could provide?

Thanks

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 06:01:26 pm »
Excellent, thank you once again.

Offline hedehede81

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 07:25:59 am »
Hi Hedehede81,

Thanks so much, appreciate the help!

Did you also have the remote commands either in Chinese or in English you could provide?

Thanks

No problem guys, here is the serial protocol that I got Google translated into English:

http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/34191725/file.html

The commands are really easy indeed, you can change all the settings, generate keypresses,start/stop generator and upload arbitrary data remotely. Let me know if you have any questions.

The following users thanked this post: davidgrimm

Offline listener192

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 08:39:45 am »
Thanks again Hedehede81!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 05:31:14 pm »
Just got mine in the mail, and pretty impressed.  Just about all the signals are accurate except square.  I don't get a nice flat square wave, instead there is a sudden rise and then sudden drop, I'll post captures later, even at very low frequencies and amplitudes.  Do you also have this issue with the square wave?

Other than that, this thing is pretty nice.  I'll open it up when I have time and post pictures, I have the 5Mhz model.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 05:51:36 pm »
1Mhz Square, 5V Amplitude, 50% duty cycle:

10Khz Square, 10v, 50% duty cycle:

This is my first signal generator, but I imagine this is is sub par, when I see other signal generators producing a square wave, it's rather flat and well....square.

Everything else seems to work great however

210Khz Triangle Wave, 10V, 50% duty:

5Mhz Sine, 10V:

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 06:12:42 pm »
Is teh voltage double what you specified? You mean need a 50ohm terminator.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 10:59:55 pm »
No. It's what I specified.

I took it apart and have some (what I feel are decent) shots of the construction.  It appears to be constructed rather well, I can't speak about the quality of chips used however, as this is beyond my knowledge.  I really love the interface, it's simple to use and makes sense.  My main reason for purchasing it, was I don't have the bench space for a nice traditional function generator, and I just wanted to do some testing with low/high pass filters and other things.  I do intend to get a proper signal generator and realize this is no replacement for one, but I feel like this thing will prove useful for my needs.

The anodized aluminum case is rather nice, it's pretty thick, doesn't feel like I could set something on it and it would begin to bend.  It's machined rather well.

It appears to use a resistor ladder for a DAC rather than an IC also. 

Anyways, here are the pictures of the innards:

LCD PCB:

Here's the (cheap,  LCMXO2-1200HC-4TG144C) FPGA it uses:

Near the DC adaptor plug:

Here's the heat sink removed where the 2 output channels are.  I'm unsure what these 2 chips are as the heatsink wore off the label:

Back of the main PCB:

I highly doubt the 10Mhz and 20Mhz model use updated hardware and it's just software locked.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:05:45 pm by Pasky »

Offline hedehede81

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 03:55:44 am »
That ICSP port looks real exciting.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 06:22:33 am »

Does you square wave output also have overshoot and undershoot ?

Offline hedehede81

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 08:54:52 am »

Does you square wave output also have overshoot and undershoot ?

I'm not near my bench scope now, but my handheld scope shows some overshoot and undershoot with the square waves on high frequencies, yes.

Offline listener192

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 06:26:19 pm »
Hi Hedehede81,

Having trouble understanding the trace mode functions. Seems that in ch 2 sync menu, Mode F has to be set to use ch 2 phase shift, to set phase shift between ch1 & ch2. Any idea what modes A & D  do? This is not covered in operation manual.

Also noticed that in ch 2 sync menu, changing ch 1 trace mode to Yes and back to No disables output. I could only turn off and on again to restore output. Once again nothing in manual about the purpose of this function.

Have you managed to figure it out?

Otherwise pleased with unit, although I wonder what the differences are between the 5,10 & 20MHz units.. software or hardware?

Thanks

Offline hedehede81

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 12:14:26 pm »
I haven't had the the time to try the functions you suggested, I'll write here if I figure it out.

As for the differences in 5mhz and other models, I've opened up my unit (20mHz) and it looks totally same to me, I think there should be a software lock.

Offline listener192

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 03:31:14 pm »
I was sent a supposedly later copy of the MHS-2300A operation manual however, it is no different to the first.

I have determined the Trace mode functions TF, TA, TD,link ch1 to ch2 for TF (frequency, TA (amplitude) or TD (duty cycle) settings. The trace mode ON/OFF in ch1 sync menu I have not figured out yet.

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2014, 07:43:24 pm »
Nice looking piece.
I did notice that even on the ebay listing, the square wave and ramp displays show an undershoot/overshoot, just like you are experiencing!
The scope they are using doesn't seem to display the termination being used and they do spec the generator with a 50 ohm impedance.
Not too bad for $100 though... your teardown looks pretty good as well, with a huge ground plane!  Good to see that, but wonder why the over/under shoot?
Kinda shows a impedance mismatch somewhere....

Offline vivaT

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 09:21:03 pm »
I just ordered on of these and the software does exist for the Chinese market. Hope we can get it for the rest of the world as its not to bad looking :

Offline betfe

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2014, 12:01:44 am »
Hi!

I purchased a MHS-3200 and now like to send arbitrary waveforms to the device. I succeeded to make link with a USB cable via CoolTerm (Mac), but see no response from the device, for example when I send :01,r23,000 (which is requesting frequency on CH1).

I read in the thread that others have succeeded in talking to device.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Betfe

Offline Siptu

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2014, 12:52:44 pm »

Offline ValGlu

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2014, 11:23:05 pm »
Did mirror MHS2300.zip 110 Mb
http://yadi.sk/d/jYggs3t_JRNbt

Offline betfe

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 04:43:43 pm »
Thanks for this link.

I installed all software using Windows XP (as virtual machine on Max OS X). Still I'm not fully there, as the communication seems to be there (USB initialized as COM4) and information transmitted from application towards MHS2300, but I get no response from MHS2300 at all.

I'll try now to install the software on a 'real' windows machine and see what that will bring.

Betfe

Offline betfe

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2014, 09:56:24 pm »
Connection works on genuine Windows machine.

Thanks for your help!

Betfe

Offline listener192

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2014, 11:47:18 am »
Hi,

Does anybody know what 2.4" TTF display is used in the MHS2300A?

I dropped a test lead on mine and cracked the screen.

Thanks

Barry

Offline listener192

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2014, 12:08:05 pm »
For anybody that needs a new display for the MHS-2300A this is the item I found that did the job.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=16535477602

Offline MrShhh

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 11:03:22 am »
I just bought one of these, it's pretty good for the money.

Has anyone worked out how to set the sweep frequency start and end points? The manual says the values must be put into Mem 01 but I can't get anything into or out of the memory and the mhs2300setup.exe is missing from the CD supplied.

PS the 2 software links above don't seem to work, has anybody got the mhs2300setup.exe file handy?

Thanks!

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 12:54:12 pm »
can't get anything into or out of the memory

Can't check at the moment, but I think from the main page you select the channel then set the frequency and whatever, then scroll down two pages and select 'SWEP', select the modulation via the Smod button (F3), then hit save. After that you press Run and it does the job. Note that pressing run without hitting save doesn't do anything.

Ummm.. The start and end points... set the frequencies for channels 1 & 2 then from the main page select F5 (Mem) and on that page are the save/load buttons. Select memory 01 via the rotary knob, hit save, bosh.

I have the CD but it comes to about 120MB so won't pass many email filters. If you know of somewhere I can upload it I'm happy to do that.

Offline MrShhh

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2014, 01:21:11 pm »
Thanks very much  :D If i follow your instructions, the Frequency defaults to 42MHz (!!!) and starts sweeping sweeping upwards indefinitely. And when i save something to memory and then retrieve that same memory slot, it just says "empty". It seems like the firmware is corrupted or something.

I don't have anywhere to upload 120MB to just now, i'll see what i can do about that....

Offline Ton

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2014, 10:29:30 pm »
Hi

Just for information, the original manufacturer’s Web page is
http://www.mhinstek.com/

All in Chinese, but with google translate it works reasonable well
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.mhinstek.com/

looks like at least earlier they have been able to supply costumer service in English, to earlier posters
it  might be worth a try  :)

Ton

Offline keithglos

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2014, 08:38:38 pm »
Glad to see this thread is still going.

I bought a MHS2300a early 2014 branded "Spooky2", which is used for self administration of medical treatments.
The board is rev 321.c so may have modified firmware. I would estimate about 5000 of these sold worldwide.

The USB/serial interface is Silabs cp2102 which is powered from the USB, though the generator requires its power adaptor. Easy check for this is Microsoft stand alone .exe free download "USBview.exe" also from www.spooky2.com/forums.
Full free software controlling most functions is from www.spooky2.com, which uses only 57600 baud rate, changeable from the generator controls.

Can anyone tell me how to access the firmware, and if it is writeable?

Keith

Offline rgarnett1923

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2015, 11:21:04 pm »
Bought one and got it just yesterday. 

Great little instrument.   User controls and display are excellent. Got it going without using the manual in about a minute. The manual for the instrument is very good if you do want to know more.

Had a bit of trouble installing the software from the CD as one of the directories had chinese characters. I removed these and everything installed perfectly.

Software is also very good, very easy to use even though there is no manual for this. RS232 over USB worked perfectly.

Arbitrary signal generation is good. It is very easy to create a signal in Matlab, export it as a csv file then load it into the software and then write it to the device. See attached file of a 20 point neuman multisine.
 :)
Only limitation is the small signal buffers (only 1024 points each), but this is not a major problem for most applications.

Offline wieslaw

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2015, 03:25:05 am »
Hello
I also bought recently that generator.
Looks good and works so far, although I was not as lucky as you were. My disk with the software is corrupted and can not install anything to connect this generator to PC.
The seller gave me link to manufacturer to download the software.
Very slow connection and had to try at least 10 times, before the file downloaded.
This file is corrupted in the same way and will not install.
Is there any way that one of you, having working copy of the software, can share it with me please?
Thank you,
Wieslaw

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2015, 10:48:32 am »
My previous offer stands: if you know of somewhere I can upload a ~100MB file I'd be happy to do so.

Offline JJalling

• Supporter
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2015, 11:10:35 am »
My previous offer stands: if you know of somewhere I can upload a ~100MB file I'd be happy to do so.

I can host the file if needed. You can contact me by mail or pm if you want.

BR Jonas

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2015, 12:57:50 pm »
You are a star - PM sent  :-+

Offline JJalling

• Supporter
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2015, 01:09:18 pm »
You are a star - PM sent  :-+

Glad I can help! The file has been uploaded here:
http://eevblog.jalling.net/MHS2300.zip

To anyone wanting to download the file, don't hesitate to contact me in case of problems regarding the download.

BR Jonas

Offline wieslaw

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2015, 11:51:20 pm »
Thank all of you willing to help.
JJalling - your link works.
Program installed and works now. (no any problems)
Thank you so much

Offline radupraznaglava

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2015, 01:16:26 pm »
Hello
I also bought recently that generator, software version R2.87.
The device and the software works as expected.
Beware of settings Func/LRC. It must be OFF.
LRC is a checksum that 'Control Sofware' not generate.

Tested on  following operating systems:
Windows XP/32
Windows 7/64
Windows 8.1 / 64 (virtual machine).

Maximum supported COM port speed is 57600.

Best Regards,
M.V.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:02:17 pm by radupraznaglava »

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2015, 04:08:44 pm »
I don't get a nice flat square wave, instead there is a sudden rise and then sudden drop, I'll post captures later, even at very low frequencies and amplitudes.

This looks a lot like "ringing" which can happen if there is too much capacitance on the output.

Offline jkellers

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2015, 08:50:05 pm »
Hi All,
I just bought the 5MHz function generator directly from China. It took 2 weeks for delivery. I had emailed with a Sales Engineer beforehand, and contact was OK. So I bought it despite that the fact that very little information is available over the internet.
The unit came with an USB cable, a CD (software and manual), 2 BNC to croco cables, and a US style power adapter (I am in Europe, but what the heck). So all OK.
Interface has 8 buttons and a rotary dial. It functions very intuitively. The software on the CD installed OK (you need to unpack the archive onto a separate stick, or so, for installation. Otherwise, the installer will not find files. You can download the pack also at http://www.mhinstek.com/down/html/?80.html -- Chinese page, but English software version). The core of it is a National Instruments Lab View module. Not fancy, but functional, clean and quick to understand. To get sorted on the basic functions was  easy. For "specialties" like burst, sweep, frequency measurement it makes sense to look into the useful manual. FSK modulation I could not get to work, log sweeps are not possible though I found someplace that they should be. Arbitrary waveforms are very easy. You can draw by hand, or import a CSV form Excel.
How about signal quality? To put the following into perspective: In my previous life I used to work in an electrotechnical lab and operated all sorts of very expensive and high quality signal generators. Now I use a function generator only privately for hobby stuff. So I pay more attention to the bucks than for the bang. This said, I tested against a freshly calibrated Agilent Digitizing scope. I will only give qualitative impression here.
Stability was very good. As you may expect from a DDS generator the two channels are well linked to each other. Lissajous figure did not 'rotate' over time. Frequency I found accurate and stable. Output voltage I found almost 10% too low, but I could re-calibrate the device directly over the interface and the rotary dial (no trimmer poti needed). Afterwards I found voltage to be within a few percent for all frequencies, waveforms, duty cycles, and amplitudes. Distortion I did not check since for it is OK as long as a square looks like a square.
Conclusion: Good deal and perfect for my needs.
Best,
Jay
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 08:58:11 pm by jkellers »

Offline radupraznaglava

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2015, 01:36:39 pm »
Can anyone identify the connector at the top of the CPU (see atached picture)?
There seems to be a JTAG.

Offline jpwaymel

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2015, 08:58:58 am »
Hello everybody,

This is my very first post on this forum.

I just discover it (it looks very great !) when searching infos on the MHS-2300A generator.
I receive this piece of equipment to-day without any instruction manual nor pilot S/W.

... And I get all these missing parts reading this post : many many thanks !

Jean-Pierre

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2015, 04:18:31 pm »
my google-fu found this pdf manual:

http://blog.pennybuying.com/down/fb/FB170A.pdf

Didn't find the software yet but I only spent 10 seconds searching.

Edit: nevermind, I thought it was a new post :)

but for what is worth here is a link to the software:

http://mhs2300a-dual-channel-dds-signal-generat.software.informer.com/1.0/

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 04:26:04 pm by miguelvp »

Offline jpwaymel

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2015, 05:52:46 pm »
Thanks Miguel !
There are several S/W sources along this post and I add your own source as it may be different.

I've tried this product on stand alone mode and now I'm going to try to connect it to my PC...

Offline jpwaymel

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2015, 05:48:49 pm »
I've tried to pilot the MHS-2300A with a qbasic64 program, without success...

Who has tried (with success  :)) ?

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2015, 08:35:27 am »
I highly doubt the 10Mhz and 20Mhz model use updated hardware and it's just software locked.

has anyone determined if we can riglol these to 20mhz?  :D

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2015, 09:09:53 am »
anyone know whats up with overshoot/undershoot on the square wave output?

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2015, 05:03:18 pm »
anyone know whats up with overshoot/undershoot on the square wave output?

I think that's more a measuring mistake than an over/under shoot.

The FG might output a 50 Ohm impedance signal and the scope is not properly terminated.

Or a probe was used to measure the signal and the ground lead is picking up noise.

Without a picture on the setup on how it was measured I will go to either one of those scenarios. Of course it could be the FG actually over/under shoots, but I think that is very unlikely.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2015, 07:38:58 pm »
I believe most people are plugging these directly into the front end of their 1meg scope inputs w/o 50 ohm termination.

However, some of the ads for this device show over/undershoot on square wave. I'd hope there vendors would be presenting the unit in its best possible light.

I'll be able to confirm shortly. I just ordered the 5MHz model (hope I can convert it to 20MHz), and I'll run some tests when I get it. Spectral purity, THD, phase noise, etc.

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2015, 06:54:53 am »
(hope I can convert it to 20MHz)

yes, unlock 20mhz would be fantastic  :D

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2015, 07:02:19 am »
the mhs-2300a user manual lists 50 ohm output impedance.

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2015, 03:41:08 am »
so there seems to be a strange bug, with square wave only. looks like maybe rounding error or 1-off counter bug with duty cycle on square wave.

happens at all frequencies. does not seem to happen with sine output.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2015, 03:45:21 am »
I see the same here, only occurs on square wave.

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2015, 04:03:55 am »
ch1 to 10khz sine, ch2 to 20khz sine. channels should be stable relative to each other but they are not. there seems to be constant phase shift.

channels are only stable when they are both exactly the same frequency.

i suspect programming error somewhere, someone is doing 1-off counter code bug.

Offline Swemarv

• Contributor
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2015, 06:32:51 pm »
so there seems to be a strange bug, with square wave only. looks like maybe rounding error or 1-off counter bug with duty cycle on square wave.

happens at all frequencies. does not seem to happen with sine output.

I have the same problem.

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2015, 09:45:10 pm »
bugs:
  • jitter with duty cycle, square wave only. possibly rounding error or 1-off counter bug.
  • constant phase shift between ch1 and ch2 when frequencies are different (e.g. ch1 10khz, ch2 20khz)

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2015, 04:56:23 pm »
Has anyone notified the Seller or Manufacturer of these issues (and gotten any response)?

Or are we just discussing the problems here, while the guilty parties are still in the dark?

Offline Mark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2015, 05:10:44 pm »
Surely the jitter bug is just how the dds works, you'll get the same jitter time at all frequencies which will be 1 period of the master clock freq. 

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2015, 05:52:25 pm »
Surely the jitter bug is just how the dds works, you'll get the same jitter time at all frequencies which will be 1 period of the master clock freq.

no.

it only happens with square wave. not with any other output.

Offline Mark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2015, 06:26:28 pm »

no.

The square wave may well be direct from the dds in which case you will see jitter, whereas the others will be through a LUT + filter.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2015, 06:43:59 pm »
I haven't torn mine down yet--but will soon.

Anyone know if these are implemented with an off-the-shelf DDS chip, or an R2R ladder like some of the other cheaper generators?

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2015, 08:47:09 pm »

no.

The square wave may well be direct from the dds in which case you will see jitter, whereas the others will be through a LUT + filter.

jitter would only be expected with non-integer multiples of the main 200mhz clock. so jitter would not be expected at 10khz, 20khz or 5mhz. but we see jitter at all frequencies.

we also see phase shift between channels when frequencies are not exactly the same. ch1 10khz ch2 10khz are perfectly locked, but ch1 10khz ch2 20khz experiences phase shift. this should not happen.

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2015, 09:00:10 pm »

Anyone know if these are implemented with an off-the-shelf DDS chip, or an R2R ladder like some of the other cheaper generators?

per the earlier posts and teardown from this thread, looks like LCMXO2-1200HC-4TG144C FPGA driven by stm32 microcontroller. DAC is resistor ladder.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2015, 09:35:44 pm »

per the earlier posts and teardown from this thread, looks like LCMXO2-1200HC-4TG144C FPGA driven by stm32 microcontroller. DAC is resistor ladder.

Ahh thanks, I somehow missed that post. Thought I was entirely caught up on this thread. Must have skipped a page.

Offline trberger

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2015, 04:32:37 pm »
The fy3212 is evaluated and tested by gby in message 17 and 18 of

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/feeltech-fy3224s-24mhz-2-channel-dds-aw-function-signal-generator/15/

I can't seem to find a similar test for the mhs2300a in this thread.  Did I miss something?

Why would one choose the mhs2300a over the fy32xx?  I.e. what features add the extra value?

thanks.

Offline waspinator

• Contributor
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2016, 11:54:20 pm »
how does this compare with a proper generator like a Rigol DG1000?

Offline jam-elec-device

« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2016, 03:20:43 pm »
Does this unit allow you to adjust the various details, frequency, duty cycle, etc. while the unit is in the run mode? Or do you have to stop the wave before you can make any adjustments?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2016, 01:50:11 am »
I'd suspect that there will be an interruption in the output waveform when a change is made. AFAIK only very few (and thus high-end) generators allow on-the-fly adjustment of parameters will minimal signal distortion / gradual change.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline jam-elec-device

« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2016, 04:38:48 pm »
I have been looking at these units on youtube.

FeelTech
https://youtu.be/EZ-i6lOTT9k

Instek
https://youtu.be/fjl4oaA8ZhE

During these videos you can see adjustments being made "on-the-fly".
I recently bought a cheap generator that can only be adjusted while the signal is OFF.

I would expect some signal disturbances during the actual adjustment, but I would like to keep the waveform displayed on the scope while the adjustments are made.
I haven't yet found such a video review of the MHS2300, to compare this type of issue.

Offline jam-elec-device

« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2016, 05:05:17 pm »
I also like the idea of the different sweep modes of the MHS2300.
I like that you can simultaneously see the settings of both channels on the display.

taken from the MHS2300A manual:
Sweep mode: Frequency sweep, amplitude sweep, duty sweep.

I would like to know if the FeelTech or Instek models support the amplitude sweep and duty sweep. I expect that they may only include a frequency sweep.
I am leaning toward a purchase of the MHS2300A, but still have the question of on-the-fly adjustments.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2016, 05:35:45 pm »
I haven't yet found such a video review of the MHS2300, to compare this type of issue.

Mine isn't to hand right now, but from what I recall you can change things on the fly. The only issue would be how much disturbance you get, and I never thought to look at that since it wasn't important when I was doing this.

Offline checko

« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2016, 01:20:24 pm »
Hello guys!

I hope you all are very well,

I was wondering if any of you have the software (English) to control the MHS2300A from a PC and would like to share it please. I bought the SG but the CD that comes with it is corrupted. Someone in the forum has posted the manual but I am also after the software. Thank you

Offline Michael_P

• Contributor
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2016, 07:47:03 pm »
It is possible to connect two devices in parallel synchronous mode to get one more TTL input and chanels?

Offline Jann

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2017, 07:24:34 pm »
Hello all,

I would also like to buy a cheap MHS2300A or maybe a FeelTech FY2300 but before that, I would like to make sure whether that generator(s) is able to be controlled correctly by the Spooky2 software or not.
Has anybody tried it out yet?

The Spooky2 software is made for Spooky2–5M (dual channel function/arbitrary waweform) generator which has the same outside appearance and specifications - (and probably the same inner circuitry and manufacturer too) as the MHS2300A.
See:
http://www.spooky2.com/newModel/files/s2-5medit.jpg

Spooky2 is a worthy of attention, neat freeware software and can be downloaded from this link:
http://www.spooky2.com/downloadsPage/index.html

there (under the "Software:" title) click on this blue text
"Spooky2 4 February 2017 Full Installer"
(normally updated on the first day of every second month)

You, who have an MHS2300A (or even a FeelTech FY2300, see:
http://en.feeltech.net/upload/images/201605/146310633628.jpg), would you test it with Spooky2 software and report the outcome please?
Thanks
Jan
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 10:41:47 am by Jann »

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2017, 07:52:44 pm »
You, who have an MHS2300A, would you test it with Spooky2 software and report the outcome please?

i'll give it a try. it does look identical.

Offline keithglos

« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2017, 08:46:10 pm »
The "Spooky2" has modified firmware and the instruction set also modified so not compatible. It will still function as originally intended. The extensive free software written for the Spooky2 may be downloaded and run in "test mode" without the hardware,  if this does something useful for you then get a Spooky2 generator.

Offline Jann

« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2017, 10:22:48 pm »
Thank you keithglos,
To your mind, can you see any mode to change firmware of MHS2300A so that to become Spooky2 if their hardware is same?
What would be its procedure?

Offline keithglos

« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2017, 10:44:06 pm »
If you want to run spooky software then buy the 5Mhz Spooky2 generator. There are some hardware differences, I suspect MH do a special line for spooky. I think they have sold in the region of 15,000 of them.

With all these MH 2300 the USB to Serial is a Silabs CP2102 which defaults to bus powered. If the mains or power supply fails and the USB is still going, as in a laptop, then the CP2102 can be cooked. I have a utility from Silabs which changes a bm attribute from 80 to C0 which means it is self powered so can't be damaged that way.

I will attempt to attach it here

The following users thanked this post: Dwaine

Offline Jann

« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2017, 06:46:31 pm »
Right you are!
I’ll do that.
Thank you keithglos for info and the utility.

Offline davidgrimm

« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2017, 02:19:40 am »
Hi, I just found this forum and I love it! I like how everyone is civil, I appreciate that a lot.

Okay, down to business: I am Using LabVIEW 2016 on Windows 10 to control the 2300A and I'm having some trouble. Could someone please post the exact string they're sending? I think I'm getting messed up with termination characters. Anyone have any advice?

Offline davidgrimm

« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2017, 11:51:38 pm »
I am Using LabVIEW 2016 on Windows 10 to control the 2300A and I'm having some trouble. Could you please post the exact string they're sending? I think I'm getting messed up with termination characters. Do you have any advice?

Offline thewildwaves

« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2017, 01:01:22 pm »
Is it possible to output a synchronisation pulse when using this signal generator in Sweep Mode?
This would make using it with an oscilloscope much easier - I.F. alignment etc...
Many thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf