Author Topic: At last, Siglent's SDS5054X touchscreen DSO...  (Read 101139 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: At last, Siglent's SDS5054X touchscreen DSO...
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 11:18:04 am »
The DSO is nice and hopefully a nice price too   :clap: 

but why oh why did they not put the inputs directly below each channel control strip

and shift the USB, CAL and rectangular black thingie to the other side   :-//
Siglent first laid out this format in 2013 when they released SDS2000 now superseded by 2000X.
At that time there was comment exactly the same but until you've used one for a while you notice it doesn't really matter a damn, in fact for most that are right handed it's better to have USB and particularly probe Cal on the right.

My one of these ^ might get upgraded .
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:23:14 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 01:01:50 pm »
So,
ballpark price?
options, beside the usual?
probe interface compatible with probus?
As yet we can only guess what western pricing will be but 86,880 Yuan is stated for the 4ch 1GHz model with the 350 MHz 4ch model ~1/2 that.
As I surmised the AWG will be the SAG1021 25 MHz USB module used on the SDS1004X-E models.

Until I sit down and translate it all the rest is unknown excepting what you can wean from the Chinese datasheet:
http://www.siglent.com/Chinese_website2014/Datasheet/SDS5000X_Datasheet_DS0105X_C01A.pdf

Google translate was of help
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.siglent.com/oscilloscope/SDS5000X

SDS5034X is listed as 42,880, nearly 6k euro
However, only basic functions. same old stuff..

High samplerate, high wfm/s, ton of memory, but same old stuff..
hope it's not all, as the new R&S (RTM and RTA) are also listed at about that price and they have more options and 10 bit ADC

fingers crossed :)

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
  • Hobbyist using the ultra slow and unsure method
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 02:26:19 pm »
And hopefully they have managed to get the behavior of rotation knobs usable. The SDS2000X series is absolute horrendous with those (or at least mine is). I haven't tested the latest firmware versions, but last time I checked release notes, there were no indications of fixes for the rotation problems.

Hmm.. now that I rechecked the release notes, still no indication for fixing them, but several other interesting fixes, I guess it is time to update.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 02:39:11 pm »
High samplerate, high wfm/s, ton of memory, but same old stuff..
hope it's not all, as the new R&S (RTM and RTA) are also listed at about that price and they have more options and 10 bit ADC

10 bits are a valid argument. But what else?

That "same old stuff" is not bad after all, is it? What is missing? What would you like to see in such an instrument?

Anyone who thinks there are essential features missing is welcome to share their thoughts.

Hint: The initial release will indeed be not much more than just the familiar old (and good) stuff - of course without most of the limitations the lower end instruments (SDS1004X-E, SDS2000X-E) suffer from. But there is more to come and we could certainly convince Siglent product management to add even more sensible features to their to-do list.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 02:50:10 pm »
Siglent first laid out this format in 2013 when they released SDS2000 now superseded by 2000X.
At that time there was comment exactly the same but until you've used one for a while you notice it doesn't really matter a damn, in fact for most that are right handed it's better to have USB and particularly probe Cal on the right.

My one of these ^ might get upgraded .
Those squared channel buttons look so much better than those horrible oval ones.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2018, 02:50:38 pm »
And hopefully they have managed to get the behavior of rotation knobs usable. The SDS2000X series is absolute horrendous with those (or at least mine is). I haven't tested the latest firmware versions, but last time I checked release notes, there were no indications of fixes for the rotation problems.

Hmm.. now that I rechecked the release notes, still no indication for fixing them, but several other interesting fixes, I guess it is time to update.

The release notes usually don't list all fixes and improvements. Many changes due to internal test reports aren't documented this way.

Particularly the rotary encoders are a constant issue, that's also why the numerical input dialog has been introduced at some point. As far as I remember, the behavior of the encoders has changed many times, in fact almost with each update. In my opinion, it is not perfect because it lacks smooth continuous acceleration (it has just a few discrete speed steps), but still usable and certainly much better than it used to be initially. Apart from that, there are many more reasons (=fixes & improvements) to keep the firmware up to date.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2018, 05:57:40 am »
That "same old stuff" is not bad after all, is it? What is missing? What would you like to see in such an instrument?

For example, there are more protocols around than UART/SPI/I2C/CAN/LIN.
See the complete app package for the keysight DSO-X 3000.
    -> YES, it's shared with all the megazoom scopes, because same platform, minus the 1k and 2k, because product line separation
    -> YES, old scope with tini tiny memory. Let's avoid the same old :blah: :horse: shall we?

See what R&S is offering as options for the RTA and RTM.. now if some more of the RTA options were ported to the RTM it would be cake, i was told it should happen in the near future. And they are
    -> 10 bit
    -> Touch screen with what seems to be a proper UI (Not saying anything about siglent of course, haven't tried it..)
    -> more options to begin with
    -> better reputation, if you want
    -> around the same price, RTM starts at less, RTA starts at that price
and only drawback i can see
    -> Less memory per channel

Look at what picoscopes give you, they may be "cheating" because many things depend on how powerful your computer is, but they do give them.

if i'm even considering 5K eur so i can only look at a signal and see a blazing fast 500 MHz SPI, i'm going to get a lecroy, at least i get histogram and really advanced math (long functions, math on math on math, math on measurements, display measurement trace and so on).

can we also get histograms and really advanced math? Or even an option for power analysis..
:)

To be honest i was expecting it to be about half the proposed price, given the above. I can't see how it can be justifiable if they want to compete
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:01:00 am by JPortici »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2018, 08:24:29 am »
As the guy who committed the crime, I just wanted to report in.
Thanks.  :-+

We all knew very little of SDS5000X models before your vid so thanks for that.
Did you find out the amount of memory depth ?
Hello, it is 250Mpts
Actually it's 2x 250 Mpts, 250 Mpts for each of the two 5 GSa/s ADC's.
So will all channels active max sampling rate and memory depth will be 2.5 GSa/s and 125 Mpts/channel.

And from the current datasheet we see 1Mpts FFT.

@JPortici
Who knows what additional features will be suggested by the beta testers and I'm quite sure there'll be plenty, yes the protocols offered can only be considered as basic for a DSO in this class. I've already suggested an advanced protocol suite be offered too. Market support will decide on what additional features can be added in in the future as you only well know it's just a firmware update.
The GUI as shown in the datasheet already looks optimized for touch usage with graphics representing the functions of the icons.
Power analysis option is already offered for SDS2kX so there's no reason why it shouldn't be included in the SDS5kX option list.
Until western market release is imminent there's really no point of bitching about your best guess price as all of ours have been way off in the past based on what we see on the Chinese websites.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: JPortici

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2018, 09:04:39 am »
@JPortici
Who knows what additional features will be suggested by the beta testers and I'm quite sure there'll be plenty, yes the protocols offered can only be considered as basic for a DSO in this class. I've already suggested an advanced protocol suite be offered too. Market support will decide on what additional features can be added in in the future as you only well know it's just a firmware update.
The GUI as shown in the datasheet already looks optimized for touch usage with graphics representing the functions of the icons.
Power analysis option is already offered for SDS2kX so there's no reason why it shouldn't be included in the SDS5kX option list.
Until western market release is imminent there's really no point of bitching about your best guess price as all of ours have been way off in the past based on what we see on the Chinese websites.

Ah, i agree with you! It's way early to discuss and the only thing we can do is speculate and bitching! I don't think it's wrong to put things in perspective and as siglent has started a possibly good trend in by offering a complete scope, with modern hardware and very decent performance for the price class (1000X-E) i'd love them to continue it :-+

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2018, 09:30:46 am »
@JPortici

Ah, i agree with you! It's way early to discuss and the only thing we can do is speculate and bitching! I don't think it's wrong to put things in perspective and as siglent has started a possibly good trend in by offering a complete scope, with modern hardware and very decent performance for the price class (1000X-E) i'd love them to continue it :-+
I'm sure they will and yes the 4ch X-E capabilities were a surprise to some of us too. Siglent really hit a home run shoehorning all that functionality into a ittsy bittsy wheeny DSO.  Of course it will continue and another thing that sticks out in my mind is the same X-E USB AWG for 5000X models.....surely these will have Bode plot capabilities too.
I've said it before and again now.....interesting times.
BTW, PA is included in the options available: SDS-5000X-PA Power Analysis Options

The active probe is listed as SAP1000 1GHz bandwidth, 10X attenuation, 1Mohm//1.2pF input impedance
Do these specs seem satisfactory ?

What else can we come up with that should be included in/with a modern 1 GHz DSO ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2018, 10:13:01 am »
For example, there are more protocols around than UART/SPI/I2C/CAN/LIN.

As already stated, the initial release might be limited to these, but there will definitely be an advanced protocol decoder package for this scope in the near future. Siglent will probably not just copy any package from the competition but rather listen to some experts who are very experienced with mid-range and high-end scopes and know what is actually useful. They will provide beta tests and consulting for the SDS5k.

-> 10 bit

Yes, that would be great, but quite obviously isn't going to happen with the SDS5k series, as this is 8 bit dictated by the hardware. I'm sure we would be able to convince Siglent to add high resolution DSOs to their offerings, but for now they will have to get started with the current 8 bit platform.

-> Touch screen with what seems to be a proper UI (Not saying anything about siglent of course, haven't tried it..)

Well, the UI has been completely redesigned in order to fit the touchscreen. I cannot know yet how successful this has been, and it is certainly not reasonable to expect that it will be as posh as the one from R&S right from the start. However, beta testers will suggest improvements where appropriate for sure and after the initial release, reasonable suggestions from users will certainly be considered as well.

-> more options to begin with

That's just too unspecific. More options in itself is not an option ;)

Well, Siglent certainly cannot design "reputation" into their new product. But just recently I got the confirmation from upper management, that they agree with me to give high priority to open, honest communication as well as listening to customer needs. The SDS1004X-E series has already been a good example as my attempts to improve that platform have been honored by accepting the majority of my suggestions (if at all possible with the existing hardware, that is). I have no doubt that it will be the same for the SDS5k series, where I'm not aware of any hardware limitations other than the 8 bits.

-> around the same price, RTM starts at less, RTA starts at that price

We don't know the price point yet.

Look at what picoscopes give you, they may be "cheating" because many things depend on how powerful your computer is, but they do give them.

Yes, PicoScope software provides many mid-range and even some high-end features. Rest assured that this will be my personal benchmark for certain areas.

can we also get histograms and really advanced math? Or even an option for power analysis..

• Power Analysis already exists (SDS2kX for now). Even though I did not have time to test it, it looks very comprehensive.
  • Advanced math (with math on math) is most definitely coming. There will also be a filter package.
  • Not sure about histograms, but we will certainly suggest it if Siglent don't have it on their list already.

EDIT: Ah yes, with "initial release" I mean the domestic release in China. I cannot rule out that we might already get some more than that with the release to the western market, where there is no official release date announced yet.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:28:06 am by Performa01 »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2018, 01:37:57 pm »
Well, Siglent certainly cannot design "reputation" into their new product. But just recently I got the confirmation from upper management, that they agree with me to give high priority to open, honest communication as well as listening to customer needs.
IMHO Siglent will do way better to implement better software testing and wait with releasing the firmware until it has been fully tested. There is no use to introduce a piece of equipment into the professional market segment if the software isn't ready and/or riddled with bugs. Better have less features which work than lots of features which don't work. Note that none of the A-brands sees Siglent as a serious competitor in any segment which in turn means the A-brands don't have to adjust their pricing.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 02:04:09 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2018, 04:29:49 am »
Guys, we know who's a Siglent fanboy and also who will consistently criticise the brand. It's tiring to see the same worn out nagging in every thread by the same people. Could we please just discuss the product without the brand war?

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, TopLoser, kado, tv84, nugglix

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2018, 07:53:18 pm »
Guys, we know who's a Siglent fanboy and also who will consistently criticise the brand. It's tiring to see the same worn out nagging in every thread by the same people. Could we please just discuss the product without the brand war?

Getting two different perspectives is useful. The company designing the product is also very relevant. I've found it absolutely helps me decide hearing the good and especially the critical to help decide. You may be tires of hearing both sides but as people are looking for info they may only look at this thread for instance, not every thread on every siglent product. This happens with every brands products siglent just seems worse because there are multiple sellers making sure the last word is theirs and positive.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2018, 09:41:08 pm »
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2018, 10:12:59 pm »
Getting two different perspectives is useful. The company designing the product is also very relevant. I've found it absolutely helps me decide hearing the good and especially the critical to help decide. You may be tires of hearing both sides but as people are looking for info they may only look at this thread for instance, not every thread on every siglent product. This happens with every brands products siglent just seems worse because there are multiple sellers making sure the last word is theirs and positive.
Strongly biased information is useless. Having the same junk information rehashed time and time again is nothing but a waste of forum space. I understand some people may mistake it for something useful, but misinformation isn't. It's confusing and unfair at best and that works both ways.

The only thing it does is making the SNR quite terrible.

The following users thanked this post: tv84, nimish

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2018, 11:44:24 pm »
So you'd rather people not have strong opinions? Everyone should feel everything in equal measure? If you don't care about other peoples opinions just go to the website and look at the datasheet. Again for a person trying to make a decision it can be useful information even if you don't like it. The posts that are an actual waste of space are ones like these where people try to reason with others over the opinions expressed.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2018, 12:24:15 am »
So you'd rather people not have strong opinions? Everyone should feel everything in equal measure? If you don't care about other peoples opinions just go to the website and look at the datasheet. Again for a person trying to make a decision it can be useful information even if you don't like it. The posts that are an actual waste of space are ones like these where people try to reason with others over the opinions expressed.
You're not understanding me. We don't mind people having strong opinions here. Anyone who does wouldn't last very long. ;D The problem arises when strong opinions aren't based upon reality and simply consist of bias. They don't add anything of value to the conversation, just noise. Some here make a buck by selling Siglent devices and will always have a very favourable interpretation of how things are. Things are always good, regardless of how they actually are. That's not a valuable opinion, that's noise. Others always criticize the brand whatever it does and the same applies. If the answer is set before the question has been formulated the reply cannot have any value. There is no information.

As soon as there isn't a relationship between reality and the opinions voiced, they become noise. At best, it's a nuisance and at worst it'll confuse and misguide unsuspecting visitors.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:26:04 am by Mr. Scram »

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2018, 05:54:24 pm »
Looking at the latest SDS1000X-E firmware .APP, I see  these references to SDS5000X:

Code: [Select]
void *__fastcall sub_366E20(void *a1)
{
  void *v1; // r0@1
  void *result; // r0@3
  void *dest; // [sp+4h] [bp-10h]@1
  int v4; // [sp+Ch] [bp-8h]@1

dest = a1;
  v1 = Scope_Model();
  v4 = sub_38934C((int)v1);
  if ( v4 != 3 && v4 != 4 )
    result = memcpy(dest, "SDS1000X-E", 0xBu);
  else
    result = memcpy(dest, "SDS5000X", 9u);
  return result;
}

There is also this reference in another place:
  if ( v15 == 5 )
  {
    result = memcpy(dest, "SLA1016", 8u);
  }
  else if ( v15 != 3 && v15 != 4 )
  {
    n = 0;
    v4 = "SDS102E";
    v5 = "SDS104E";
    v6 = "SDS106E";
    v7 = "SDS110E";
    v8 = "SDS115E";
    v9 = "SDS120E";
    v10 = "SDS125E";
    v11 = "SDS130E";
    v12 = "SDS105E";
    v13 = "SDS107E";
    result = (void *)sub_21C8B8();
    v14 = (signed int)result;
    if ( (signed int)result <= 9 )
    {
      n = strlen(&byte_12716A0[15 * v14]);
      if ( (signed int)n > 15 )
        n = 15;
      if ( byte_12716A0[15 * v14] && byte_12716A0[15 * v14] != 32 )
        result = strncpy((char *)dest, &byte_12716A0[15 * v14], n);
      else
        result = strcpy((char *)dest, *(const char **)&v17[4 * v14 - 52]);
    }
  }
  else
  {
  }
  return result;

And other brands possible:
signed int get_ScopeBrand_ID()
{
  signed int v0; // r3@2

if ( gos_strcmp(SCOPE_BRAND, "ATTEN") == 0 )      v0 = 2;
  else if ( gos_strcmp(SCOPE_BRAND, "LECROY") == 0 )     v0 = 0;
  else if ( gos_strcmp(SCOPE_BRAND, "SIGLENT") == 0 )    v0 = 1;
  else if ( gos_strcmp(SCOPE_BRAND, "BK") == 0 )         v0 = 3;
  else if ( gos_strcmp(SCOPE_BRAND, "AKIP") == 0 )       v0 = 4;
  else if ( gos_strcmp(SCOPE_BRAND, "AKTAKOM") == 0 )    v0 = 5;
  else if ( gos_strcmp(SCOPE_BRAND, "KUNDE") == 0 )      v0 = 6;
  else if ( gos_strcmp(SCOPE_BRAND, "OEM_TO_POL") == 0 ) v0 = 7;
  else if ( gos_strcmp(SCOPE_BRAND, "SIGLENT_IE") == 0 ) v0 = 9;
  else v0 = 8;

return v0;
}

So, does this mean that the SDS5000X will run the same firmware of the SDS1000X-E ?   ::)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:05:08 pm by tv84 »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2018, 08:10:56 pm »
Looking at the latest SDS1000X-E firmware .APP, I see  these references to SDS5000X:

There is also this reference in another place:
  if ( v15 == 5 )
  {
    result = memcpy(dest, "[b]SLA1016[/b]", 8u);
  }
  else if ( v15 != 3 && v15 != 4 )
  {
    n = 0;
    v4 = "SDS102E";
    v5 = "SDS104E";
    v6 = "SDS106E";
    v7 = "SDS110E";
    v8 = "SDS115E";
    v9 = "SDS120E";
    v10 = "SDS125E";
    v11 = "SDS130E";
    v12 = "SDS105E";
    v13 = "SDS107E";
    result = (void *)sub_21C8B8();
    v14 = (signed int)result;
    if ( (signed int)result <= 9 )
    {
      n = strlen(&byte_12716A0[15 * v14]);
      if ( (signed int)n > 15 )
        n = 15;
      if ( byte_12716A0[15 * v14] && byte_12716A0[15 * v14] != 32 )
        result = strncpy((char *)dest, &byte_12716A0[15 * v14], n);
      else
        result = strcpy((char *)dest, *(const char **)&v17[4 * v14 - 52]);
    }
  }
  else
  {
  }
  return result;

So, does this mean that the SDS5000X will run the same firmware of the SDS1000X-E ?   ::)
Some of it for sure but the GUI will be quite different.
Think, OS and FW.  ;)
SLA1016 subroutine is for the external AWG module also used for SDS1004X-E models.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2018, 08:59:42 pm »
I doubt the GUI will be radically different. It makes a lot of sense to use the same code base for a wide range of oscilloscopes. Chances are the SDS5000 also uses the Xilinx Zync hardware platform which is an interesting choice.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2018, 08:30:08 pm »
Release in a few weeks is the rumor.............

A couple of screenshots pinched from another thread.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2018, 09:05:09 pm »
U/I looks a bit like a cross between Lecroy(left, bottom and top) and Keysight (status area on the right)...

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2018, 12:20:17 pm »
I've learned that some like to verify scope bandwidth by using fast pulses or squarewaves, rather than the old-school (swept) sine wave approach (which is still the only valid one, since the pulse response heavily depends on the filter characteristics of the signal path).

Yet I thought I would show an example as a reference, what a 100MHz square wave is supposed to look like on a (true) 1GHz scope:

Square 100MHz_Z2ns+FFT

This is a 100MHz square wave with <100ps transition time.

Main timebase is 100ns/div in order to get a sufficiently detailed FFT from DC to 2GHz.
Zoom timebase is 2ns/div in order to get a detailed Y-t view.

Automatic measurements:
FOV = Overshoot after a falling edge.
ROV = Overshoot after a rising edge.
Rise & Fall times are not accurate because of limited scope rise time and also time measurement resolution limited to 20ps at that timebase.

This is from an early pre-production unit of the SDS5104X and the frontend will be further improved at public release.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2019, 03:51:45 am »
This is from an early pre-production unit of the SDS5104X and the frontend will be further improved at public release.
And that's not far away it seems as I got an English datasheet today and pricing due very soon.
The datasheet is 5 MB so can't post it here but can share it by email if anyone can't wait for it to go online.

Things that stick out are the new additional decode protocols only offered as options:  :(
CAN FD, FlexRay, I2S and MIL-STD-1553B
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf