Author Topic: ATTEN ADS1102CML flashed to SIGLEN SDS1102CML hang or bricked ?  (Read 11370 times)

Offline outremerTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi all,
I flashed Siglent firmware on my Atten1102CML, then loaded siglent config file. All seemed to work  but I had a trouble with timebase settings slower than 25 milliseconds (erroneous curves and measures). faster timebase where OK. I had been using it for several days (still having the time base issue) when it eventually froze. No button would work anymore. So I powered it off and on again : it still boots with the Siglent welcome screen (Siglent Oscilloscope SDS1102CML) but then hangs on that screen. I tried all possible button combination on startup with no luck.... I dissassembled the piece to find some hidden reset button or backup battery to change or pull off and reinsert.... Nothing. The scope is 6 years old. Is there any idea from any one to help ?

Regards. Phil.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: ATTEN ADS1102CML flashed to SIGLENT SDS1102CML hang or bricked ?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 11:40:26 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Can we confirm your Atten is the 2 Mpts memory depth version?

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Contributor
Re: ATTEN ADS1102CML flashed to SIGLEN SDS1102CML hang or bricked ?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 01:29:05 am »
Hi dear tautech.

Unfortunately I have no mean to answer your question precisely. Under the ATTEN firmware I had difficulties to get a stable waveform display maybe because of triggering problems; That's why I took the chance to flash the firmware. As I din't find any upgrade at Atten's links I decided to go with SDS firm.
In fact after upgrading I had excellent and stable display up to 200 MHz sine; the issue was when I selected a timebase slower than 2.50 ms. And the fatal hang occured when I pressed the S/div knob as far as I remember.
On the scope main board all the memory chips are installed (a total of 5 from which 2 are underneath). I noted that their labelling was erased where other chips (FPGA and ADC's had their writing). I purchased the unit in october 2010 from Hongkong; it was the cheapest way to get the piece here in the Caribbean.
I'm not very optimistic. Thank you for your reply.
Regards.  Phil.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 01:46:54 am »
Hi dear tautech.

Unfortunately I have no mean to answer your question precisely. Under the ATTEN firmware I had difficulties to get a stable waveform display maybe because of triggering problems; That's why I took the chance to flash the firmware. As I din't find any upgrade at Atten's links I decided to go with SDS firm.
In fact after upgrading I had excellent and stable display up to 200 MHz sine; the issue was when I selected a timebase slower than 2.50 ms. And the fatal hang occured when I pressed the S/div knob as far as I remember.
On the scope main board all the memory chips are installed (a total of 5 from which 2 are underneath). I noted that their labelling was erased where other chips (FPGA and ADC's had their writing). I purchased the unit in october 2010 from Hongkong; it was the cheapest way to get the piece here in the Caribbean.
I'm not very optimistic. Thank you for your reply.
Regards.  Phil.
Phil
OK a push of the timebase knob is the method to select Zoom mode.
Thanks for the 2Mpts confirmation, I had a study of a few versions of the Siglent FW and unlike most other Siglent FW for the SDS1000 series they do ask for the cfg file to be loaded after the FW.

Much of Siglent later FW ask that the cfg file be used first and this is the only explanation I can see that explains your problem. No, so it does not look good for you sorry.  :(

But keep an eye on the forum, do some intensive searches here (use the Search button not the box), if my memory serves me there are others that have recovered their scopes from similar FUBAR.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 08:56:14 pm »
Thank you much tautech,

If there is no hard way to reset the piece I give up. I consider buying a Rigol 2000 series.

73s Phil.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 09:26:38 pm »
You could send it in for service. They can probably reflash it low-level with the JTAG interface.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 01:26:42 am »
Hi Pascal,

Send it in and then having it back would cost a lot more than its value.

Regards

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 01:46:30 am »
Thank you much tautech,

If there is no hard way to reset the piece I give up. I consider buying a Rigol 2000 series.

73s Phil.
Before you jump ship Phil you need to read this:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/project-yaigol-fixing-rigol-scope-design-problems/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Deckert

• Regular Contributor
    • TechBench
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 12:24:43 am »
Hi,

I am a bit late to reply (also see a PM from you - apologies, but I've been away for a bit).

If the 'scope you have is 6 years old, it likely has an old hardware version. For example hardware version 6-41-2.0 cannot support any firmware newer than 3.18. If you flashed it with newer firmware it is quite possible that you bricked the FPGA inside the scope.

You need at least version 3.x version hardware to support the newer firmware from Siglent.

--deckert

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 11:19:48 pm »
Dear deckert,

Thanks for your reply; The info about the scope was : Atten model ADS1102CML
Hardware # 2-41-1.61 Serial # 01020100300012. Firmware # 3.01.01.11. (this before any flashing attempt)

I flashed the firmware for SDS1102CML by Siglent because I coud not get any support from Atten. The scope worked with an issue on slower timebase settings (slower than 25 ms as far as I remember). At startup there was a white screen instead of the Atten welcome screen. I tried several Siglent firmware versions : all worked with a far better stability but still with the slower time base issue. After some research I found that a config was to be loaded to complete the aupgrade, so I loaded Siglent_CML.cfg. The scope then showed a Siglent SDS1102CML welcome screen and worked flalwessly. As was fidling around the screen freezed (I think after I pressed the horizontal adjust button). I had to power down the scope to get out of it. From that point I could never get the piece to work again. It boots apparently normally but then hangs on the Siglent welcome screen and CH1, MEASURE and RUN/STOP buttons lit.There is no way to get out of this. I opened the scope and found that all memory banks (5 of them) are populated and  what else.
The actual firm is SDS1000CML_SSP_V100R005B01D02P22.
Thank you anyway for your concern
Best regards.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 12:22:32 am »
I'll ask Siglent Tech support if there's any key presses on boot that can get you out of this jam, IIRC there are some but if they work for your problem I'm not sure. Should have a reply for you in a few hours.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 08:27:30 pm »
Siglent Tech support suggested the "Math, Math, Math, Math....." button presses at boot.
Sometimes works for boot freezes depending on the problem.
Good luck.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: TheSteve

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 10:49:13 pm »
Great ! Thanks  a billion  tautech......

By repeatedly pressing math key the piece came back to live.... I tried all the keys, hundreds of key combinations but never tried repeated pressing of a key.
Wow !
Buy I still have the time base issue : any time base setting slower than 50 ms turns the dysplay into a distorted curve (the sweep gets like interrupted and non linear).
Anyway I almost never analyse signals at audio frequencies so the slow time base is not mandatory for me.
System status is :
software 5.01.02.22 (was 3.01.01.11)
hardware 2-41-1-61 (of course unchanged)
May be as deckert suggested my hardware version is too old and I should flash an older version. I have several files but I already installed the oldest I got.

Anyway thank you very much for your help.

Best regards from the West Indies.

Phil, FM5GB

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 11:08:13 pm »
Nice.  :-+
But thank Siglent, however they did remind me of the Math presses but I couldn't find it in forum searches.
I need to add this simple fix to my documentation.  :palm:

Looking back through this thread it seems you're using 2.22 FW that was released Sept 14.
Unfortunately back then we didn't have changelogs to refer to like we have now, however more research in threads using various keywords might bring up results that suggest newer FW might be more suitable.

LeCroy had these units as Siglent rebrands too and you may find their FW better suits your HW but I don't know for sure.  :-//

Just throwing you some ideas for possible future tweaks.  :-/O
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: outremer

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 11:59:28 am »
System status is :
May be as deckert suggested my hardware version is too old and I should flash an older version. I have several files but I already installed the oldest I got.
Phil

Further info Siglent has kindly provided has confirmed deckert's view.  :(
For your HW the FW versions should be 3.xx.xx.xx

I've looked through the Siglent website and my FW folder and I'm sorry but both have only 5xxxxx versions.

Siglent do have FW 3.01.01.12 and I'm sure we can get it to you but it is not known if you can downgrade from FW 5xxxxxx versions.

If the version you have installed (5.01.02.22) is still problematic and unusable you could try the lastest version as a last resort with fingers crossed.

So I'm sorry but that's all we can suggest, good luck.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: outremer

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 12:03:32 pm »
Really nice effort Tautech!

If you would be more closeby, I would certainly consider you for my next Siglent purchase! :)

Hello from Norway!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 12:30:23 pm »

If you would be more closeby, I would certainly consider you for my next Siglent purchase! :)

Hello from Norway!
rf-loop is much closer to you than I am.  ;)

But we are not lone Siglent sellers, use the "Where to Buy" on Siglent websites.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 01:21:58 pm »

Hello from Norway!
rf-loop is much closer to you than I am.  ;)

But we are not lone Siglent sellers, use the "Where to Buy" on Siglent websites.

@pascal_sweden
Also you have domestic Siglent seller in Norway.  Sør-Trøndelag, Hommelvik. There is: Adroit AS.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 01:26:50 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 10:59:27 pm »
System status is :

I've been chasing for former
Phil

I've looked through the Siglent website and my FW folder and I'm sorry but both have only 5xxxxx versions.

Siglent do have FW 3.01.01.12 and I'm sure we can get it to you but it is not known if you can downgrade from FW 5xxxxxx versions.

If the version you have installed (5.01.02.22) is still problematic and unusable you could try the lastest version as a last resort with fingers crossed.

Hi tautech !
I've been chasing for former versions of firmware almost everywhere on the net even on russian sites which sometimes keep older versions in their archives; but no luck. After testing the scope extensively I noticed there are a lot of faulty functions especially on the time base. so I think it's worth of it to try a downgrade to an older version If Siglent still provides it. I'll take the chance. Will I have to load also a config file prior or after installing the older firmware ? I have an older Atten file but the device dysplays "incorrect device". I also tried the most recent Siglent files  up to version 32 : no mure luck.
regards Phil.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 11:15:39 pm »
System status is :

I've been chasing for former
Phil

Hi tautech !
I've been chasing for former versions of firmware almost everywhere on the net even on russian sites which sometimes keep older versions in their archives; but no luck. After testing the scope extensively I noticed there are a lot of faulty functions especially on the time base. so I think it's worth of it to try a downgrade to an older version If Siglent still provides it. I'll take the chance. Will I have to load also a config file prior or after installing the older firmware ? I have an older Atten file but the device dysplays "incorrect device". I also tried the most recent Siglent files  up to version 32 : no mure luck.
regards Phil.
I've asked Siglent to send me 3.01.01.12 for my archives and I can forward it to you when I get it.
Please PM me your email.

Now I have to travel tomorrow so please be patient if you don't get it promptly.

There has been comments that it may not be possible to downgrade the FW so you'll just have to try your luck.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 05:27:58 pm »
Hi tautech !
I sent you a PM, and hope you got it as I'm not very familiar with the procedure.

Best regards

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 12:15:24 am »
Hi tautech !
I sent you a PM, and hope you got it as I'm not very familiar with the procedure.

Best regards
Got it Phil but I'm away for another week.
If I can forward the FW from this tablet I will but I haven't received it get.....I'll chase it up for you
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 11:45:45 pm »
No problem tautech !

I got my new Scope it's a Rigol DS2XXXa. Works great far beyond 300 MHz. So I am not in a hurry to fix the Atten-Siglent which a friend of mine will enjoy if it gets repaired. If you get the file I'will try the downgrade, but don't worry about me.
Have a good trip (I hope It's for a vacation rather than work).

Best regards

Phil

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 12:31:12 am »
Thanks Phil, I'll do my best.
We in west Australia visiting grand kids.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 09:23:39 am »
@ outremer
The FW should be in your emails Phil.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf