Author Topic: AvE Reviews OWON B35  (Read 6039 times)

Offline IanBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
AvE Reviews OWON B35
« on: May 24, 2017, 05:07:13 am »
Cool review, interesting cheap meter. Bluetooth and data logging for fifty bucks!

Maybe Gossen have competition?  ;D

https://youtu.be/7BpODKbTyZE

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
Re: AvE Reviews OWON B35
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 05:23:41 am »
Looks like a 121GW knockoff and Dave's meter has not even left the blocks yet.

Edit:  The title shot with an open Fluke in his hand gives the impression it is the model being reviewed and has proper input protection!  Oh well, maybe they will release different (input protection) versions in different countries, like the UNI-T UT61E.  The PCB has been designed to accept larger fuses.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 06:36:39 am by Towger »

Offline amirm

• Regular Contributor
    • Audio Science Review
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 05:55:38 am »
Mine is sitting in the drawer for the main reason that their app is (was) not in the app store.  It required manual install to a link in China.  Not going to install any software like that.

Offline boggis the cat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 06:45:15 am »
I did install it, on both an iPad and a cellphone running Android.  The logging software is fairly useless, marginally less useless on the Android version.  Maybe.  Didn't really bother much with it.

Typical of Chinese manufacturing to bodge something together vaguely resembling a useful application then abandon it.   >:(

(They have a newer model out that logs internally as well as having Bluetooth.)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 09:56:57 am »
Mine is sitting in the drawer for the main reason that their app is (was) not in the app store.  It required manual install to a link in China.  Not going to install any software like that.

That seems to have changed. I see "OWON Multimeter BLE" in the Apple App Store, and "OWON Multimeter BLE4.0" in the Google Play store.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 10:54:49 am »

Except for the 50,000 count dual display, 0.05% vs 0.5%, SD card logging, low burden voltage, 15V diode mode, VA measurement, and open source app software. Yeah, almost identical  ;D

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 10:57:50 am »
The OWON B (Bluetooth) series was released 1-2 years ago.  The T models have TRUE RMS measurement .  The + models have offline recording function (but I think it needs to be activated from the iOS APP, not sure about the Android APP).  The 35 series has 3 5/6 digits.  There is also a B41T+ with 4 1/2 digit DMM.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:03:54 am by TK »

Offline boggis the cat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 12:01:14 pm »
That seems to have changed. I see "OWON Multimeter BLE" in the Apple App Store, and "OWON Multimeter BLE4.0" in the Google Play store.
I just tested out the latest version on the iPad -- still shoddy, and truncates the display at the right edge (possibly not tested on iPads despite claiming to work).  The Android version works better, but no obvious way to halt logging.  No instructions, of course.

The meter itself isn't too bad for anything that doesn't require high energy protection, but I think that if you want to log data you'd be better off paying more for something less half-baked.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 12:19:02 pm »
Cool review, interesting cheap meter. Bluetooth and data logging for fifty bucks!

Maybe Gossen have competition?  ;D

https://youtu.be/7BpODKbTyZE

Bad choice of the still title image for that Youtube review, by the way: The opened meter shown there, with the nice HRC fuse, is not the OWON but a Fluke that was used for comparison!

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 12:23:19 pm »
I just tested out the latest version on the iPad -- still shoddy, and truncates the display at the right edge (possibly not tested on iPads despite claiming to work).  The Android version works better, but no obvious way to halt logging.  No instructions, of course.

The meter itself isn't too bad for anything that doesn't require high energy protection, but I think that if you want to log data you'd be better off paying more for something less half-baked.

Too bad they did not do a better job on the software.

Here's a rudimentary analysis of the meter's Bluetooth protocol:
https://hackaday.io/project/12922-bluetooth-data-owon-b35t-multimeter

Anyone interested in writing a Sigrok driver?  8)

Offline Jon.C

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 12:31:21 pm »

Except for the 50,000 count dual display, 0.05% vs 0.5%, SD card logging, low burden voltage, 15V diode mode, VA measurement, and open source app software. Yeah, almost identical  ;D

when ?

I have the money ready on paypal    :-DMM

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 03:23:04 pm »

I hope much better banana plugs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf