Author Topic: AVO M2007 Multimeter (ABB/BBC/Metrawatt)  (Read 8469 times)

Offline TheBayTopic starter

• Supporter
AVO M2007 Multimeter (ABB/BBC/Metrawatt)
« on: October 04, 2018, 11:09:18 pm »
Got given this by my local amateur radio club as a gift for repairing a Yaesu FRG-8800

I've never seen one before and absolutely love the design, seems very utilitarian.
The switches feel incredible on it and the whole thing is really well designed, I love the way the tilting bail slides up to reveal the battery and access to the fuse and even has a spare fuse!
Though these are supposed to be used with fused test leads as that fuse is only for the 3A setting looking at the PCB.

The only issue I can see is there is a plastic peg? snapped off to stop it sliding open and revealing the screw/battery, nothing a bit of tape won't sort out, but would be nice to find a spare part or a broken one.

Thought i'd post it on here as I've never seen an Avo branded one before and this ABB series aren't all that common.
I have a bit of a thing for unusual test equipment, especially multimeters.

Pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QNY6TB17PpfVbBr86

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 12:34:38 am by TheBay »

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: AVO M2007 Multimeter (ABB/BBC/Metrawatt)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 12:28:01 am »
I have asked at Gossen some spare parts for old meters, they are obsolete in every way :( 
But you wont loose nothing to ask them ?

Unless you find an donnor you'll be out of luck ?

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 03:12:40 am »
the thing you could do :  mixing krazy glue with baking soda to rebuild the broken parts,   do tryouts on some plastic part to see at witch spped it cure, its really fast,  after a good dry out, you can add other layers and sand it to your like ???

I have repaired an dmm casing that way, i had an screw stand off broken, pretty solid ...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 02:19:12 am by coromonadalix »

Offline TheBayTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 12:10:38 am »
Can't find much information about this meter online, not even a user manual.
I did find a product sheet in German but that's about it.

Does anyone know what probe leads this would have come with and if similar are still made, as there is no fuse inside the meter other than for one of the current ranges I'm assuming the leads are fused?

Offline glassfet2

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 11:41:19 pm »
I own one of these. Had it since new. The leads are not fused

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 12:26:57 am »
Same here!  Upto buying it I'd been using an Avo 8 MkIII but realised that I needed soemthing more sensitive and sophisticated to work on modern electronics.  The Avo 8 had always served me well so the logical choice was another Avo product.  At the time the M2007 was a high end meter, well designed to the state of the art then, and ruggedly constructed. Actually, I've never opened mine up so it was super interesting to see the images above. Just look at that range switch, non of your PCB type rubbish here!!  I remember it was expensive but don't recall the actual price, maybe around £200?!  Mine still works perfectly and has never had a problem.  Obviously it is not upto modern safety standards, as things have advanced substantially since then, but it is still a very good meter and I have no hesitation in using it on mains stuff.  I do have the user manual but unfortunately at the moment have no way to scan it. 
I have one of Daves 121GW meters which is great, but I still like the Avo, and that range switch puts the one in the 121GW in the shade!
DC coupling is the devils work!!

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 09:19:28 pm »
Can't find much information about this meter online, not even a user manual.
I did find a product sheet in German but that's about it.

Does anyone know what probe leads this would have come with and if similar are still made, as there is no fuse inside the meter other than for one of the current ranges I'm assuming the leads are fused?

It was supplied with standard type shrouded plug leads, very flexible PVC insulated, unfused, 90 degree angled at the meter end, straight at the probe end.  They had female sockets at the probe end as it came with interchangable spike type metal prod's and fully insulated croc clips, all branded Avo.  You have a good chance of finding the original type leads on Ebay, search under Avo and Megger.

I just had a quick look and these are very close, but are now silicone :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LDM020-Multimeter-Clamp-Meter-Test-Lead-Set-for-Fluke-Megger-Kewtech-and-more/291056567605?hash=item43c452c535:g:4t0AAOSwzaJX5QK7:rk:1:pf:0

Good luck!
DC coupling is the devils work!!

Offline Perrin21

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 08:06:33 pm »
I love that old meter.  I used to have that exact one back in the 90s, it was handed down to me by my uncle who worked for the MEB and i was just 10 years old.  Its hard finding that kind of build quality today. 

Offline goaty

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 03:36:13 pm »
If anyone needs I have schematic for M2008 now.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 09:54:29 am by goaty »

The following users thanked this post: TheBay, coromonadalix

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 04:55:34 pm »
You could always build it back with some epoxy.

Offline hkjames

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 07:41:03 pm »
I have 2 AVO M2007 meters, beautiful and well used. However, as silly as it sounds I can't figure out how to gain access to the battery to replace them. Could anyone help.

hkjames

Offline goaty

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 08:28:52 pm »
The manual shows this picture:
You need to insert Probe tip or coin or screwdriver as shown in left image, then lift it up like right image

Offline hkjames

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2022, 12:32:57 am »
thank you so much. Judging by the views I wasn't the only one with the issue.

Much appreciation

hkjames

Offline Drewbie

• Contributor
  • Certifiable HP Nutter.
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 12:25:16 pm »

Very helpful thread.

I just picked one of these up at auction along with a cheap Repco "3 stage" battery charger for NZ$65 for the two, so I'm happy. Relaced the 9v battery and she's all good!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf