Author Topic: Battery powered DSO/CRO  (Read 5248 times)

Offline SprinterfreakTopic starter

Battery powered DSO/CRO
« on: January 22, 2015, 02:47:12 am »
Hi Guys,
I'm searching for a good battery powered oszilloscope.
That thing should be for private use only and be able to be battery powered for outdoor use where no landline is avail.
Typical outdoor use for example is tracing bad camshaft sensors (had two of them last month) at broken cars, measure ESP sensors on track etc.
At home (my playground) it is for debugging and learning purpose on tiny MC projects.
It should have capabilitys to handle future bigger projects too.
I will call my needs DSO for now, but I didn't find any suitable CRO witch is battery powered.
Yes I'm a beginner to MC electronics  and oszilloscopes, sorry @Dave.
I've allready noticed Your recommendation about DSO's to beginners... :-)

My first thaugt goes to the QDSO DS203 NanoQuad from ebay for round about 130€.
Its cheap, its small, its battery powered.
Practicly it can be carryed anywhere. But I didn't stay here if I wouldn't hear DONT DO THAT!

So the next suitable DSO I found was the OWON SDS7102V for about 400€.
That thing Reaches the maximum limits of my budget.
Did anyone has experiences with it?

I think that DSO with 100Mhz, 1G/s, 2 channels and lots of features I actually not need did easy match any of my wishes. Right?
How reliable is that OWON brand?

Best Regards from Germany,
Jan

Offline ion54

• Contributor

Re: Battery powered DSO/CRO
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 05:34:00 am »
Thanks ion54, looks very nice.  :-+ on form factor and the price.
But is a 60Mhz scope with a buffer of 250MSa/s able to measure the destrotion of voltage regulators output or a serial line too?
As far I can see, this scope didn't support AC couppling.
Thats odd, because the sensing range specs from 0,01V to 5V isn't that great at all...
Am I right?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 06:43:08 am »
Check out the Siglent handhelds:
http://www.siglent.com/ENs/pd.aspx?tid=2&T=1
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Gribo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 11:56:59 am »
I would recommend the Fluke Scopemeter 190, but it is 10 times your budget. However, the Siglent unit seems to be a direct clone of the older 192/199 scopemeters, and it has CAT II/III inputs and probes, so it is, in my opinion a better choice than the Hantek, especially for automotive use.
I am available for freelance work.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 12:15:32 pm »
I have a 'like new' Fluke 124 with new probes and new battery that I could sell for 400 euro, including VAT and shipping to Germany.

SOLD
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:26:39 pm by TopLoser »

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 05:36:32 pm »
The Fluke seems to have one big advantage over the rest of Chineese scopes I think.
It has CAT rating and proven CAT certification.
Why didn't that SIGLENT SHS806 (blue) have CAT rating? Did SIGLENT left off some of protection circuitrys?
The next thing I noticed about the Fluke is the relative small and poor screen (isn't it?) and the 40Mhz only bandwith coupled to a small ant brian like smaple buffer.
I'm not sure if a 40Mhz scope is capable of capturing what's going on at a 16Mhz Atmega project...
I'll give it a try anyway. The good thing about Fluke is, it will probably survive me and keeps my roof overhead, even during the apocalypse.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 05:41:46 pm »
Actually the 40MHz bandwidth for the Fluke is only good with repetitive sampling. Real time sample rate is only 25MSPS, so really only good to 5MHz IMHO at best. It is still a good deal and a Fluke will hold its value and continue working long after a Hantek is in the garbage.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 05:53:45 pm »
Actually the 40MHz bandwidth for the Fluke is only good with repetitive sampling. Real time sample rate is only 25MSPS, so really only good to 5MHz IMHO at best. It is still a good deal and a Fluke will hold its value and continue working long after a Hantek is in the garbage.

The Fluke certainly doesn't win any contests for high technical specs, this model is built to survive in an industrial environment rather than debug high speed logic on a bench.

One nice feature is that you can use one or BOTH inputs as a  true RMS meter to measure Vdc, Vac, Vac+Vdc, Ohms,Continuity , Diode-test, Current, °C, °F, Capacitance, dBV, dBM, Crest Factor. Has also got TouchHold which is very useful when you're rummaging about in the dark faultfinding.

For less than the price of a Fluke 287/289 I think this is a pretty good deal just for the meter capabilities, the scope function comes as a bonus!

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 06:02:41 pm »
Hantek has a series of handheld scopes with performance similar to low-mid range DSO. Some of them have isolated inputs if you need that.
Hantek handheld DSOs

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 06:05:01 pm »
The Fluke seems to have one big advantage over the rest of Chineese scopes I think.
It has CAT rating and proven CAT certification.
Why didn't that SIGLENT SHS806 (blue) have CAT rating? Did SIGLENT left off some of protection circuitrys?
Certainly not.
Published CAT ratings are in the datashet: http://www.siglent.com/ENs/dow.aspx?u=L1VwbG9hZGZpbGUvZmlsZS8yMDE0MDkyNi9TSFM4MDBfRGF0YVNoZWV0X2VuLnBkZg%3d%3d
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf