Author Topic: Bench multimeter reccomendation & My last bad experience  (Read 8708 times)

Offline 4CX35000

• Regular Contributor
Re: Bench multimeter reccomendation & My last bad experience
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 10:56:46 pm »
Thanks for the input 4CX35000.
Yes, iam looking to buy something from a proper dealer now if going for brand new.
Still however,  the fact that this fault happened to more people puzzles me!

As for specs, mind you i am currently using a Fluke 289 which is a brilliant  meter other than its battery life. So i thought of getting a bench dmm as i am tired of changing batteries  every month and having  the meter going to auto-standby . A bit more accuracy could also come handy so i thought of going to 5.5 digits  .

Sounds to me you just require a ordinary 5.5 display meter. Looking at Farnell and using the filters produces a list of (In Stock) 5.5 digit meters under 600 UK pounds shows the following list. List is in order of price - TTI 1908, TTI 1908P, Keithley 2110-220, Fluke 8808A, BK 5492B

My preference would be either the Fluke 8808A or the TTI 1908P, but it is a difficult choice as they are all good.

You have used Fluke before, so the Fluke 8808A might be good choice.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:08:48 pm by 4CX35000 »

Offline WatcherTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 05:22:33 am »
I don't buy it. Nobody fixes something from an ebay bargain and then taunts the seller afterwards.  

That wasnt the case! I had actually  asked the buyer to tell me how he dealt with the problem and he was very helpfull to explain how he managed to fix it. I wanted to know why Siglent insisted that the MB had to be replaced (at a cost that was almoast equivalent to buying another meter) and refused to offer any other assistance.

Thanks for the rest of the info on Rigol.

The following users thanked this post: Macbeth

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 06:02:56 pm »
Thanks for the input 4CX35000.
Yes, iam looking to buy something from a proper dealer now if going for brand new.
Still however,  the fact that this fault happened to more people puzzles me!

As for specs, mind you i am currently using a Fluke 289 which is a brilliant  meter other than its battery life. So i thought of getting a bench dmm as i am tired of changing batteries  every month and having  the meter going to auto-standby . A bit more accuracy could also come handy so i thought of going to 5.5 digits  .

Sounds to me you just require a ordinary 5.5 display meter. Looking at Farnell and using the filters produces a list of (In Stock) 5.5 digit meters under 600 UK pounds shows the following list. List is in order of price - TTI 1908, TTI 1908P, Keithley 2110-220, Fluke 8808A, BK 5492B

My preference would be either the Fluke 8808A or the TTI 1908P, but it is a difficult choice as they are all good.

You have used Fluke before, so the Fluke 8808A might be good choice.

Well UK pounds is not Euros plus you also have to add VAT which drives them well over 600 euro:)

So, I am I to understand that you would recommend any of these models over the Rigol or Siglent?

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 06:20:54 pm »
Ive had both the Siglent SDM3055 and SDM3065X, both very fine meters and worked very well.  For your price range I think you would be very happy with the SDM3055, its a good value and its a lot of meter for the price.  While you could find a higher quality meter such as the 34401A for the same priced used (but unknown working order or calibration), there is something nice about brand new with a fresh cal and a warranty.  I also found the modern LCD displays to be wonderful and love the trend piloting capability.

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 06:55:01 pm »
Ive had both the Siglent SDM3055 and SDM3065X, both very fine meters and worked very well.  For your price range I think you would be very happy with the SDM3055, its a good value and its a lot of meter for the price.  While you could find a higher quality meter such as the 34401A for the same priced used (but unknown working order or calibration), there is something nice about brand new with a fresh cal and a warranty.  I also found the modern LCD displays to be wonderful and love the trend piloting capability.
The fact is that it's not easy to justify spending all this money for a used meter of unknown condition when you can buy a brnad new for less even with lower spec.

The following users thanked this post: Russ, umbro

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 03:22:29 pm »
I'd go for a (good VFD) used 34401A, anytime
This is my goto benchmeter.

/Bingo

Who has:
3478A
3457A
3458A
34401A
K2015

Siglent America

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2017, 04:05:09 pm »
Hi all,

Ive been looking for a bench DMM 5.5 digit for some time now below the  600 euro ceiling.  I am trying to decide between the Rigol dm3058e  and the Siglnet SDM 3055.
 I already  have a Rigol power supply and MSO and am very happy with both of them.
On the other hand I had a bad experience  with a Siglent function generator  last year. It was bought  brand new from an online shop but failed  after a few months. It got stack on startup on the initial siglent screen. Siglent refused to give me a warranty repair  because  it turned out that i bought it from a non authorised  dealer!
I eventually had to sell it as  broken on ebay for 50 euros and the person who bought it managed to fix it by re installing firmware  and bootloader that got corrupt.
What now scares me off Siglent is that i ve read other posts of people , even in this forum, facing similar problems with their equipment getting stuck on the initial screen.
I do however prefer the siglent's DMM with the tft screen compared to the Rigol small LCD which looks..outdated!

Any reccomendations,  suggestions welcome. :)

Hello, Watcher.
Your comment about

"Siglent refused to give me a warranty repair  because  it turned out that i bought it from a non authorised  dealer!"

concerns us. Our policy in the EU is the same as here in NA. The 3 year warranty is valid whether you purchased it from an authorized dealer or not. We warranty the unit itself (assuming there was no user damage or abuse).

That is not to say that an unauthorized dealer might not help you (they might or might not). That is, of course, one of the reasons we hope customers purchase only from authorized Siglent dealers.

If you would like to send us the details of what happened and who you dealt with then we will certainly look in to it.
Please contact us at
info@siglent.com

Thank you

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 05:24:31 pm »
Hello, Watcher.
Your comment about

"Siglent refused to give me a warranty repair  because  it turned out that i bought it from a non authorised  dealer!"

concerns us. Our policy in the EU is the same as here in NA. The 3 year warranty is valid whether you purchased it from an authorized dealer or not. We warranty the unit itself (assuming there was no user damage or abuse).

That is not to say that an unauthorized dealer might not help you (they might or might not). That is, of course, one of the reasons we hope customers purchase only from authorized Siglent dealers.

If you would like to send us the details of what happened and who you dealt with then we will certainly look in to it.
Please contact us at
info@siglent.com

Thank you
Report to moderator   Logged

Thank you for your interest in my case.
I still have all relevant correspondence even though unfortunately, as I said, I no longer have the device concerned.
The messages from Siglent were  undersigned by Lulu Yin / Siglent European Manager
I have just forwarded all relevant emails to the email address provided.

Edit :
For what its worth, it was pointed out by Lulu Yin, that it was in fact Jexy Wu from Singlet Technical Support  who asked me to pay for the repair.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 07:08:27 am by Watcher »

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2017, 02:18:25 am »

/Bingo

Who has:
3478A
3457A
3458A
34401A
K2015