Author Topic: Bench Power Supply(yes.... another topic!)  (Read 7341 times)

Offline edmundoptTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • There's theory and practice...
Bench Power Supply(yes.... another topic!)
« on: February 13, 2014, 06:33:54 pm »
Hello,
I'am looking for a long term bench power supply, what I need from the power supply is :

at 3.3v 10milivolts steps are welcome for testing microcontrolers and peripherals
at 5v , 50 or 100 milivolts are enough, TTL and IOs
at 12 and 24 i have relays, microswitches, sensors.
at 24v, well, I normally use step down regulators from 24v to 5v or 3.3v it saves another power supply on the designs.
but, I can get a very good 24v power supply about 60€, so the bench power supply can only have 15volts.

I have spent some time searching, and the name Aim-TTi appears allways with people saying they are good.

anyway, I am quiet interested in theese:
Aim-TTi PL155 wich is  0V - 15V @ 5A or PL303 wich is 0V - 30V @ 3A (they are the same price)
http://pt.rs-online.com/web/p/fuentes-de-alimentacion-de-banco/0155383/ for 312€
Aim-TTi QL355 wich is 0V - 35V @ 5A# or QL564 wich is 0V - 56V @ 4A# (they are same price)
http://pt.rs-online.com/web/p/fuentes-de-alimentacion-de-banco/7531450/ for 442,80€

I really like the front panel of the PL155, but they mentioned the analog potentiometers limited time life, but I really like them, the QL has extra features and full digital control!

Please provide sugestions, alternatives, and is the QL a good investment ?

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
Re: Bench Power Supply(yes.... another topic!)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 06:41:48 pm »
I have been using two PL155-P for two years with computer control. There they work very well.
For manual adjustment I do not like the coarse/fine, but prefer a multiturn adjustment. On the PL155 you can lock the adjustment to a limited range, this helps.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 06:43:24 pm »
TTI supplies are very good. I;ve used them for years.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 07:04:15 pm »
I have been using two PL155-P for two years with computer control. There they work very well.
For manual adjustment I do not like the coarse/fine, but prefer a multiturn adjustment. On the PL155 you can lock the adjustment to a limited range, this helps.

the PL155-P is 490€, wich is more then the more advanced QL
http://pt.rs-online.com/web/p/fuentes-de-alimentacion-de-banco/0457734/
The interface with the computer can be a add-on module, and if so, I have some chances of making one, it's what I do everyday.
If you could provide some pictures of the interface card, it would be great.

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 07:14:54 pm »
the PL155-P is 490€, wich is more then the more advanced QL

With the QL you also need the P model to get the interface.
The PL155-P has a network interface, if you do your own programs this is very easy to use and does not require any drivers.

The interface with the computer can be a add-on module, and if so, I have some chances of making one, it's what I do everyday.
If you could provide some pictures of the interface card, it would be great.

Not at the current time, they are running 24/7, if you ask me later I might be able to get some pictures from a new one I have one order (Supposed to be deliver week 12 or before).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 05:28:14 pm »
TTI supplies are very good. I;ve used them for years.

Any chance you can provide pictures?

Offline rstoer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 06:15:58 pm »
I have the QL355TP, which is the triple output version of the QL355P. It's a great power supply - No overshoot, very stable and precise. I believe the accuracy and stability is where this model outperforms the PL155 series. However, it too is only 5A to 15VDC and 3A to 35VDC. The QL564 gives you the most flexibility in voltage vs. amperage. The only negative I can think of with the QL355TP is that I wish the fans were quieter under light or no load.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 07:26:15 pm »
I have the QL355TP, which is the triple output version of the QL355P. It's a great power supply - No overshoot, very stable and precise. I believe the accuracy and stability is where this model outperforms the PL155 series. However, it too is only 5A to 15VDC and 3A to 35VDC. The QL564 gives you the most flexibility in voltage vs. amperage. The only negative I can think of with the QL355TP is that I wish the fans were quieter under light or no load.

So you also have the one with the PC interface, I really would like to see some photos of the insights of this PSU, I think the PC interface is an addon card, and if so, I could save some big € and get the QL355 wich is 442€.

I also went searching for service manuals for the PSU, lots from Agilent PSU's and some of TTI products, but not for theese models, are they provided printed when you buy PSU ?

Offline rstoer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 02:34:12 pm »
The interface is an add-on card but if you're thinking of reverse engineering it to save some money, good luck. I happen to have a photo I took when I first got mine. Here it is...

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 04:38:34 pm »
Hello,
at 24v, well, I normally use step down regulators from 24v to 5v or 3.3v it saves another power supply on the designs.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding here, but you use a 5V regulator with a 24V input?  :o   Isn't that a bit much of a step down for the regulator?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 07:34:23 pm »
Hello,

Perhaps I am misunderstanding here, but you use a 5V regulator with a 24V input?  :o   Isn't that a bit much of a step down for the regulator?

A little bit off topic , but no, a decent 5v switching power supply will cost arround 40€,there are cheaper but  I normally use meanwell brand, and for getting up to 1000mA from 24v is with a switching regulator like lm2596 or even better is not an issue, then use a linear regulator for the 3.3v stuff and you get very stable supply.
This is valid for most of my work, but it would be very bad for low power or portable systems.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 07:42:36 pm »
The interface is an add-on card but if you're thinking of reverse engineering it to save some money, good luck. I happen to have a photo I took when I first got mine. Here it is...

Thank you! So, W3,W2,W1 is the must have!
My choice is the PL303, I think it is enough for my specifications.

About the interface, I will make it bluetooth and LAN, because it's very easy, RS232 is going down the hill theese days so maybe an internal connector to PWR, GND , TX , RX.
I have some experience with microchip and that will be my next hobby work.

When I start I'll make a topic with all the sugestions from you guys, I also have experience with Qt(up to 4.8.5) and the software will be cross plantaform.

If anyone woulk like to point if the QL355 deserves the extra €€, please says so, I'am buying PL303 tomorrow!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf