Author Topic: Best bang for buck reflow oven?  (Read 8047 times)

Offline hellokittenTopic starter

Best bang for buck reflow oven?
« on: April 01, 2018, 10:42:08 pm »
I'm starting to build things that require "legless" SMD parts so I need a reflow oven. I'm broke so I don't want to break the bank, I also don't want to be replacing the oven in 6 months either or having all sorts of issues either.
What's the best bang for buck reflow oven?

Online hansibull

• Regular Contributor
Re: Best bang for buck reflow oven?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 11:11:34 pm »
It's not possible to get infrared toaster ovens where I live, so I went with the T-962.
It's actually quite good when the stock firmware is replaced with custom firmware, a cold junction sensor is added to the controller board and a proper calibration is done.

Offline theatrus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 11:51:45 pm »
It's not possible to get infrared toaster ovens where I live, so I went with the T-962.
It's actually quite good when the stock firmware is replaced with custom firmware, a cold junction sensor is added to the controller board and a proper calibration is done.
Agree. You will have to develop some profiles yourself, and the various ovens all behave a bit differently.

The firmware replacement process is painless.
Software by day, hardware by night; blueAcro.com

Offline hellokittenTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 12:12:16 am »
I see a lot of different upgrade guides and kits for this, what is easiest?

Online hansibull

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 09:51:36 am »
Upgrade kit?

I started out by watching a few relevant videos on youtube. This Youtube video should cover everything you need for now.
One thing I've experienced that the drawer is often a little colder than the air inside, and may prevent the solder paste to melt properly because it's pulling away the heat from the board you're reflowing. I'm using some simple metal spacers, but a simple metal mesh will work too.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:57:36 am by hansibull »

Offline srce

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 12:43:23 pm »
Qinsi QS-5100?

Only done a few small boards with it, but working ok so far for me. I'm a young player though, with no experience of others, but it seems to get better reviews than the T-962:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/qs-5100-reflow-oven-any-tips-warings-etc/

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 12:47:08 pm by srce »

Offline Stavos122

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 06:06:11 pm »
Can't recommend which Chinese oven you should go with but here is a professional reflow oven for low volumes: https://www.atco-us.com/products/pro-1600-smt-reflow-ovens (PRO 1600 SMT Reflow Oven) .   Its not going to be in the price range of the gear you are considering but as a reference take a look at the profiling feature.  You need to be able to have temperature feedback form the PCB with multiple channels when developing a profile.  Purchase a multimeter with several K-type thermocouple ports so that you can secure them at different spots on your board.  This will allow you to track the temperature of the heaviest and lightest parts and make sure they are within the profile curve.     
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 08:28:21 pm by Stavos122 »

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 07:31:45 pm »
I've used the Beta Layout reflow oven and the results are perfect, Dave's done a few videos on it as well. Been reflowing QFN and DFN parts without any problems and even double sided, there was no way I was going to hand solder 0402 parts. I used their controller and the reflow profile hit 230C to 235C every time.
Their reflow controller V3 PRO cost 229 Euro and I guess you could buy a similar 1500W toaster oven state side. The oven I am using is Severin TO 2034 1500W. Separate reflow controllers are available for 110V and 230V.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 07:49:11 pm »
I give another vote for the T 962.
It pretty much works out of the box despite the abysmal firmware.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf