Author Topic: Best handheld dmm, at any price?  (Read 37037 times)

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Best handheld dmm, at any price?
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2018, 10:05:45 pm »
I did see the chauvin arnoux highest model the mtx 3293,  seems a very good model with lots of features and the SX-DMM software too ... 100,000 count would be enough  loll

Still hate the top leads positioning  loll

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2018, 10:19:37 pm »
I have several 87's series I, III, V - just acquired an 87IV.

I know they were unpopular at introduction, changed to the 189 type, and the 87 re-introduced as the series V, but I do a lot of audio and the AC+DC
and dB functionality is really handy for audio.

Still lights a white LED and reads the diode voltage drop by the way. I found that a bit surprising.

Still getting the feel of it, but so far - I like it!

If you get a chance, please post what is the diode voltage output on that model when measured on another meter set to DC?
5, 6, 7 volts? 

The 189 badged model would be the best no brainer high end meter I've used, akin to an 87V on ster0ids 

Once you get used to this meter, you may want another, and you won't find one working cheap

Fluke got it right as a step up from an 87 and 8060A models, combining all the good stuff from those into one AIO meter  :-DMM

then went and dumped it for the 289   :palm:

The 289 boat I like too  :-+  but they should have kept the 189/187 going alongside the 87 series, and close the buyers gap for choice (Fluke or...Fluke) 

The 189 has everything you need on the front panel, no menu brainers to remember
or scribble on hand/arm/leg/chest/neck/private parts  :o   ..free removable really cool tattoos that serve a purpose   :clap:

Who was smoking what at those Fluke  'what do we release next?'  meetings?  :-//

Edit: anyone that's used the AutoHold feature on the higher end Flukes with the best and fastest continuity buzzer going,
is going to be a very fussy shopper if thinking about jumping ship...

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:33:57 pm by Electro Detective »

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2018, 10:28:06 pm »
I realize you already ordered the hioki(very nice meter) but my favorite is the keysight 1252B. I'll probably get another one soon. Maybe the hioki too if you recommend it. Then I can move all my cheaper meters away from testing and into assembly. I keep thinking about a bench meter but it just isn't worthwhile for the way I work.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2018, 10:24:15 am »
This one seems very interesting, because it has a thermal camera embedded, and can log simultaneously the temperature measured by the IR camera and the value measured by the probes. Also the price is OK, my Metrix mtx3283 was more expensive, but I will exchange it in a heart beat for a DMM with a thermal camera and wireless.

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2018, 10:32:21 am »
This one seems very interesting, because it has a thermal camera embedded, and can log simultaneously the temperature measured by the IR camera and the value measured by the probes. Also the price is OK, my Metrix mtx3283 was more expensive, but I will exchange it in a heart beat for a DMM with a thermal camera and wireless.

The CEM I looked at recently was rather underwhelming
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2018, 10:44:49 am »
On the point of wireless/remote display, all the mid range and above Keysight meters, you can plug a bluetooth transmitter into the back of the opto port and get remote display. Also talks to iOS/Android

Neat product line really. Thermal camera I'd want separate anyway. Really the worst form factor for using one is a DMM.

I've reverse engineered their comms protocol as well so I can use their stuff with my own software.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:46:28 am by bd139 »

Offline Candid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2018, 10:49:00 am »

In combination as dmm and thermal camera it is nice. Only looking on the dmm part it is not a good choice I think. Very slow (unusable) bargraph, laggy continuity, low resolution, uses a special LiIon battery instead of standard cells that is what I remember from the video.

Online VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2018, 12:05:13 pm »
I use Aneng 8009 that I bought recently from Banggood. My reasons are that it is cheap and full of features while being small size.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2018, 12:06:41 pm »
In combination as dmm and thermal camera it is nice. Only looking on the dmm part it is not a good choice I think. Very slow (unusable) bargraph, laggy continuity, low resolution, uses a special LiIon battery instead of standard cells that is what I remember from the video.
Indeed, while the thermal camera was a very appealing feature for that price, after watching the whole video, it does have some big inconveniences.

The showstopper for me was the battery life when logging, which is way too short for my needs. Also, the laggy continuity test is way too slow.

I don't want one any more.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:12:05 pm by RoGeorge »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2018, 01:04:46 pm »
I will exchange it in a heart beat for a DMM with a thermal camera and wireless.

You may be interested in the Fluke 279:

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2018, 01:53:49 pm »
It was interesting at the beginning, but it became strange starting from the minute 09:05 and strait hilarious at 12:13.

:-DD

The battery life is almost the same as in the CEM DT9889, but Fluke has less features, is more expensive ($1000 + $200 current probe), more locked into proprietary/expensive accessories, no amps measuring.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2018, 03:34:47 pm »
It was interesting at the beginning, but it became strange starting from the minute 09:05 and strait hilarious at 12:13.

Oh, dear.

That makes those Agilent OLED multimeters look like a sensible purchase.  :scared:

It's ridiculous that a device like that can't be charged through an external connector, even if it's via the input jacks like some other meters.

The short battery life isn't just inconvenient, it also makes it next-to-useless on a bench. They could probably sell a whole lot more of those if they could be powered by a charger connected to the input jacks and left running all day as a remote display camera (with image on your smartphone so you can be doing something else across the room).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:55:57 pm by Fungus »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2018, 04:16:06 pm »
Ugh that's awful. TI jumped that shark already with the nSpire calculators. Yes I want to wait 30 seconds for my calculator to boot and half the time I pick it up, the battery is dead and it takes overnight to charge. This energy management model doesn't work for any handheld or portable device that is essential, other than phones and that's only because we're addicts.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2018, 04:35:35 pm »
Ugh that's awful.

I bet almost everybody who buys one will regret it. Much better to get a separate camera.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2018, 06:15:27 pm »
Speaking of battery life: I see that Hioki makes a solar powered DMM. I guess this would be a good choice for a desert island.

CAT IV rated, for measuring industrial power lines.

And... built-in light meter. :)   (via the solar panel?)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:21:15 pm by Fungus »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2018, 06:30:24 pm »
That doesn't surprise me actually. Hioki made some cool toys in that space over the years. Always wanted one of these:

The following users thanked this post: nowlan, Howardlong, boggis the cat

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2018, 07:05:49 pm »
That doesn't surprise me actually. Hioki made some cool toys in that space over the years. Always wanted one of these:

I wonder if Dave has one. He collects calculators. If he hasn't got one then I reckon he will, really badly.

Calling Dave Jones, white courtesy phone...  :popcorn:

(knowing Dave's luck, somebody will post him one for free. No, I'm not jealous. snif)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:17:00 pm by Fungus »

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2018, 07:07:23 pm »
You've got to be some kind of wizard to be simultaneously measuring and calculating!   :scared: 

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2018, 07:35:15 pm »

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2018, 07:50:51 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-best-multimeter-ever!/

Scope out who posted that :P

He shall be punished for sowing doubt to our beloved ones :-DMM!
 :-/O

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2018, 07:32:23 am »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-best-multimeter-ever!/

Scope out who posted that :P

He shall be punished for sowing doubt to our beloved ones :-DMM!
 :-/O

OK, he knows they exist.

I'm sure he would have posted photos or done a Blog if he actually had one though.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2018, 08:07:19 am »

I wonder if Dave has one. He collects calculators. If he hasn't got one then I reckon he will, really badly.

Calling Dave Jones, white courtesy phone...  :popcorn:

(knowing Dave's luck, somebody will post him one for free. No, I'm not jealous. snif)
Yep, I found one on ebay UK for a couple of quid and sent it to him-it's on a mailbag video maybe 2-3 years ago

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2018, 11:38:38 pm »
Wasn't there a version with a paper roll printer too?

And it gave me an idea how a analogue equivalent might look: spherical slide rule integrated into the scale of the meter movement. Unfortunately, none encountered.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 11:44:24 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2018, 04:46:34 pm »
Did the fancy Hioki turn up yet?

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2018, 07:44:25 pm »
Not yet.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf