Author Topic: Best handheld dmm, at any price?  (Read 37016 times)

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Best handheld dmm, at any price?
« on: March 31, 2018, 10:18:40 am »
If price were not a consideration, which handheld DMM would you most like to have (for electronics work) , and why?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
Re: Best handheld dmm, at any price?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 10:43:17 am »
Any dmm should (imho) be:

1) Reliable
2) Accurate

On top of that: features and resolution.
I like the Metrawatt 30M but the same reliability and build quality can be found in the 2+ at 1/6 of the price, to me it has sufficient accuracy
and features to do a lot of troubleshooting/repair.
So that is what I have and I'am happy with it, if a 30M shows up cheap I might go for it though, but to be honest I don't need it.   :scared:

Offline Jon.C

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 12:03:09 pm »
I have a good offer to buy a METRIX MTX 3292

What do you think about this multimeter?

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 12:03:53 pm »
Any meter with a lifetime guarantee.  Well, because I don't want to be thinking about destroying something while I doing experiments, trouble shooting, etc.  Also something with a local distributor so I could return it for an exchange unit, no questions asked.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 12:15:23 pm »
Fluke 289 is one of the best DMMs. Keysight DMMs are good, too. https://www.keysight.com/en/pc-1000004008%3Aepsg%3Apgr/handheld-digital-multimeter-clamp-and-calibrator-meters?nid=-34618.0&cc=CZ&lc=eng Not sure which one is the best.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 12:16:32 pm »
If price were not a consideration, which handheld DMM would you most like to have (for electronics work) , and why?
One with at least 4.5 digits and (at least) 10A current measurement range. This way you can measure low currents with enough resolution without the chance of blowing a fuse. Fast (=instant) continuity is also a must have otherwise you keep guessing whether you made good contact or not.

However if it is for use on a bench I wouldn't want a handheld DMM anyway:
1) Because they need a change of batteries at the least convenient moment. My bench DMMs are on for entire days when I work on a project.
2) Because they get in front of other equipment if you tilt them up to read the display.
3) A handheld isn't stackable with other equipment so ends up taking lots of desk space.

I have a Keysight U1241B handheld DMM which I use a few times per year at a customer or to measure mains voltages. The continiuty however isn't instant.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 12:35:57 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 12:51:18 pm »
I thought this debate was done and dusted now: This one

(500,000 counts, 0.02% DC accuracy, Cat IV 1000V, fast everything, bar graph, dual display, USB data logging option... and around half the price of a Fluke 87V!)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:04:38 pm by Fungus »

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 01:05:49 pm »
I thought this debate was done and dusted now: This one

(500,000 counts, 0.02% DC accuracy, Cat IV 1000V, fast everything, bar graph, dual display, data logging... and half the price of a Fluke 87V!)

That's a very good meter (have a 867 myself), but it is also an enormous heavy brick (could be safely used as a weapon if required) and it doesn't measure temperature. Also the 500 000 counts work only on DC volts (the extra digit can be displayed by pressing the triangle button), nothing else. Other ranges are only 50 000 counts. That could matter to someone.

EDIT: 867 doesn't measure temperature, 869 does.

There are also few things I would change on the user interface, but that's more a matter of personal preference.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:19:06 pm by janoc »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 01:20:37 pm »
This one
doesn't measure temperature.

Yes it does. You can attach two temperature probes to it simultaneously with dual display (select T1/T2 range on the dial)

the 500 000 counts work only on DC volts. Other ranges are only 50 000 counts.

Moot, because the other ranges aren't 0.02% accurate* so the extra digit wouldn't do anything anyway. 50,000 counts is still a lot of accuracy in a handheld.

(*) eg. Ohms range is "only" 0.07%

it is also an enormous heavy brick

OK, I'll concede that.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:25:42 pm by Fungus »

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 01:28:35 pm »
I would go for the usual ones:
- Fluke (even though i don't like the 287/289)
- Keysight
- Gossen
- Brymen

After all i think it all depends on: What do you need?
A Fluke289 is probaly not a good choice for a building site, while a Fluke 179 might be better there.
A Fluke 179 on the other hand might no be realy usefull at measuring very low currents (uA). And so on....

Edit: My Choice: Keysight U1282. I think it's a over all good multimeter that can also be used for self defence  :-+
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:32:06 pm by Deridex »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 01:33:12 pm »
OK, I have a doubt. I was just looking at the datasheet and the diode test voltage of the BM869S is listed as 2V.

Can it light up a white LED?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:37:38 pm by Fungus »

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 01:42:41 pm »

Diode test is a weak point of the 869s. It has a low test voltage and it doesn't beep on short circuit.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 01:47:05 pm »

Diode test is a weak point of the 869s. It has a low test voltage and it doesn't beep on short circuit.

I'll withdraw my vote if it can't light up a white LED.

Offline hexreader

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 01:47:17 pm »
Best DMM at any price - must be Fluke, surely.

Most fun at any price - I fancy buying EEVBLOG 121 GW.

Only problem is....   can't see any reputable place to buy one :(   ... and EEVBLOG shop is out of stock :(

There is a 121GW on sale on ebay, but I would rather poke my eye out with a rusty nail than buy from ebay

Disclaimer:   IMHO
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:51:41 pm by hexreader »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 01:57:28 pm »
I just saw that Gossen's 1,200,000 count meter is discontinued, replaced with a feeble 310,000 counter. I guess that one's out then.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 02:04:12 pm »
Actually I will argue against the BM869S as the best. IMHO, the BM525 is a better multimeter for electronics and overall use. You give up accuracy but gain logging capabilities in the meter, up to 20 times per second and 87,000 records. You can also log two values at once, like dual temperatures, or frequency and AC voltage.

I would also argue in favor of the 121GW except it is still not ready for prime time and my experience with a multimeter made by that company has been much less than stellar.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 02:09:16 pm by Lightages »

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 02:13:07 pm »
The Gossen METRAHIT 30M, just for all those digits  ;D
It's discontinued but price is no object and there was no time constraints, so that could be solved.   I looked at the Ultra that replaces it.  I was not impressed with it.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 02:18:12 pm »
OK, I have a doubt. I was just looking at the datasheet and the diode test voltage of the BM869S is listed as 2V.

Never understood the LED thing.  Mine is 3V out and can light the white LED I added to my test box.

I like the two voltages on the 121GW.  At 15ish volts, it would cover pretty much every high voltage diode I use.  I wonder if you forget to change modes and put it on your sensitive MOS inputs, what happens...

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2018, 02:29:45 pm »
Mine is 3V out and can light the white LED I added to my test box.

Ok, then.  :-+

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 02:56:15 pm »
Here are the "best" meters:
https://cozzy.org/best-multimeters/

Can you guess what meter comes out on top? 

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2018, 03:15:53 pm »
However if it is for use on a bench I wouldn't want a handheld DMM anyway:
1) Because they need a change of batteries at the least convenient moment. My bench DMMs are on for entire days when I work on a project.
2) Because they get in front of other equipment if you tilt them up to read the display.
3) A handheld isn't stackable with other equipment so ends up taking lots of desk space.
I much prefer handheld for bench use as you can put it wherever convenient. Most gear is on a shelf above so getting in front isn't an issue. 

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2018, 03:20:30 pm »
I much prefer handheld for bench use as you can put it wherever convenient. Most gear is on a shelf above so getting in front isn't an issue.

And which meter do you personally favor and why?

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2018, 03:44:24 pm »
cozzy.org..
I don't understand people who buy the Fluke 87-V, it's no an electronics meter, it's an electricians meter! All it really has over other meters is "brand recognition", but at the expensive of many useful functions, higher accuracy, more counts, better screen... And I'd bet you most brand meters are just as safe, be it Brymen, Hioki, Sanwa, Gossen, Amprobe, Flir, Kyoritsu...).

We had them at university, would personally never buy one. Not the mention the $700 USD price tag in Norway.

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 04:02:37 pm »
cozzy.org..
I don't understand people who buy the Fluke 87-V, it's no an electronics meter, it's an electricians meter! All it really has over other meters is "brand recognition", but at the expensive of many useful functions, higher accuracy, more counts, better screen... And I'd bet you most brand meters are just as safe, be it Brymen, Hioki, Sanwa, Gossen, Amprobe, Flir, Kyoritsu...).

In general, I've seen companies who have a product certified, then change the design and not want to pay to have it certified again.  I wonder with UNI-T for example, they have certified some of their meters.  You can pick up two UT61Es, one with MOVs, one without.  IMO, these practices dilute the value of having a product certified.

I suspect (again no data) that larger companies will keep up with their certifications.  We know Brymen for example released the S version of the 869 to support the current standards.  I suspect the Fluke 87V has also evolved to meet changes to the standards.  Again, just a guess on my part.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 04:33:07 pm »
Yes it does. You can attach two temperature probes to it simultaneously with dual display (select T1/T2 range on the dial)

Yes, corrected that - 867 (which looks almost identical) doesn't measure  temperature and VFD, 869 does.

Moot, because the other ranges aren't 0.02% accurate* so the extra digit wouldn't do anything anyway. 50,000 counts is still a lot of accuracy in a handheld.

Sure, no issues with that but the 500 000 counts are being mentioned as a major selling point of this meter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf