Author Topic: Best low cost (<$200) BENCH multimeter ?  (Read 27853 times)

Offline someguy123Topic starter

Best low cost (<$200) BENCH multimeter ?
« on: February 10, 2015, 03:41:51 pm »
I'm having a hard time finding a decent bench multimeter.  I have an Aligent U1271, which I like, but I don't want it taking up bench space. 

Why can't I buy a bench multimeter as good as the U1271 for a decent price ?  Someone needs to do to multimeters what Rigol did to the scope market.

I'd love to see a sub $200 bench multimeter shoot out.

Can anyone recommend a good low cost bench multimeter ?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:53:46 pm by someguy123 »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Best low cost (<$200) BENCH multimeter ?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 03:53:50 pm »
I'd like to add the VC8145 to the list. I have two and both are on my bench permanently.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline someguy123Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 04:02:07 pm »
I'd like to add the VC8145 to the list. I have two and both are on my bench permanently.
  I was looking at the VC8145.  How do you like yours ? 

Obviously the VC8145 won't have the feature set and quality of the higher $$$ DMMs, but I can't afford those as I just bought a DS2072A.  I don't see why some of the higher end DMMs should cost as much as a DSO.  Doesn't make sense.

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 04:10:31 pm »
Well, in my opinion. I just don't thing there's a market for <$200 bench meters. Handheld DMMs are far more useful on a day-to-day basis, in my opinion. Bench meters are more relevant when absolute accuracy/precision is needed. The people that are looking for bench multimeters are usually not people concerned with price.

Anyway, the only real advantage I see to bench multimeters is that there are no batteries to replace. I suppose you want to put the multimeter on a shelf above your bench, but I have to beg the question, can you not spare 0.5sq-ft of bench space for a handheld DMM? Maybe you should be looking at a bigger bench?

Meters like the VC8145 aren't half bad, and they have relatively good performance, but they're really nothing more than a power supply and a panel mount meter with some buttons...but I suppose if it works, then there's nothing wrong with that.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 04:32:29 pm »
Which country are you in?

If you're willing to consider a used meter, there are very good choices. You can grab a highly-regarded 34401A off EBay for $250-400 (those are still in production). You can find very good out-of-production models for less.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 04:43:54 pm »
Well, in my opinion. I just don't thing there's a market for <$200 bench meters. Handheld DMMs are far more useful on a day-to-day basis, in my opinion. Bench meters are more relevant when absolute accuracy/precision is needed. The people that are looking for bench multimeters are usually not people concerned with price.
IMHO you are wrong here. Bench meters aren't about accuracy perse. Bench meters can be stacked and never run out of batteries (as long as you pay your electricity bill). A handheld DMM proved to be clumsy in my case because it stands in front of other equipment, runs out of batteries and/or is just in the way. The big plus of the VC8145 is that it can handle 20A current measurements.

@someguy123:
What I like about the VC8145 is that it's cheap and still provides a neat bag of tricks. It has capacitance and temperature measurement and the continuity check is instant.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 04:57:42 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 04:56:35 pm »
The VC8145 looks pretty good.  This might be an alternative:
http://www.amazon.com/Mastech-M9803R-Bench-type-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B004ISMUEE/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t/185-9604132-0408353#customerReviews
- I have no experience with either of them....

Offline sync

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 05:01:15 pm »
Anyway, the only real advantage I see to bench multimeters is that there are no batteries to replace.
Usually they also have better displays. Not that LCD crap.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 05:01:26 pm »
I don't like the Mastech. It's only 3.5 digit. When buying a DMM you should at least get a 4.5 digit one. Otherwise you won't have enough resolution to see small changes.

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 05:01:46 pm »
IMHO you are wrong here. Bench meters aren't about accuracy. Bench meters can be stacked and never run out of batteries (as long as you pay your electricity bill). A handheld DMM proved to be clumsy in my case because it stands in front of other equipment, runs out of batteries and/or is just in the way. The big plus of the VC8145 is that it can handle 20A current measurements.

Bench multimeters are not about accuracy? You're kidding. Think about the venerable  (and not exorbitantly expensive) Agilent/Keysight 34401A which has a basic DC accuracy of 0.0035%. Most handheld DMMs top out at about 0.05% on dcV. Yes, perhaps a bench multimeter makes sense in a high-end professional electronics design bench, where there is already existing stacked equipment. I've worked in the engineering department of a smaller company, and they used Fluke 179s. I found that sometimes it's easier to move the multimeter to the device under test than to move the DUT to your bench. I do agree that handheld DMMs can teter about and fall over if you're not careful, but I think it's a fair trade off for flexibility.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 05:04:13 pm by TimNJ »

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 05:06:52 pm »
Anyway, the only real advantage I see to bench multimeters is that there are no batteries to replace.
Usually they also have better displays. Not that LCD crap.

I think that's a highly subjective opinion. There are good LCDs and bad LCDs, good VFDs and bad VFDs. I own all LCD multimeters and I have no problems with them. Similarly, I've used VFDs in lab environments and I have not found them much easier to read.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 05:26:10 pm »
There was discussion about bench vs handheld DMMs before: bench-or-portable-multimeter/

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 06:13:57 pm »
IMHO you are wrong here. Bench meters aren't about accuracy. Bench meters can be stacked and never run out of batteries (as long as you pay your electricity bill). A handheld DMM proved to be clumsy in my case because it stands in front of other equipment, runs out of batteries and/or is just in the way. The big plus of the VC8145 is that it can handle 20A current measurements.
Bench multimeters are not about accuracy? You're kidding. Think about the venerable  (and not exorbitantly expensive) Agilent/Keysight 34401A which has a basic DC accuracy of 0.0035%.
You are confusing availability with necessity. Keysight also sells 4.5 digit bench meters. If bench meters where all about accuracy they wouldn't make a 4.5 digit bench multimeter.

Offline JohnnyBerg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 06:27:23 pm »
It all depends  on your needs.

For repairs and debugging I can do with a good handheld. For a test, I can do with 6 crappy DMM's as I need to get the big picture. For calibrating my voltage reference, I need resolution and accuracy.

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 06:34:19 pm »
Bench multimeters are not about accuracy? You're kidding. Think about the venerable  (and not exorbitantly expensive) Agilent/Keysight 34401A which has a basic DC accuracy of 0.0035%.
You are confusing availability with necessity. Keysight also sells 4.5 digit bench meters. If bench meters where all about accuracy they wouldn't make a 4.5 digit bench multimeter.

Now you are confusing accuracy with precision. Yes, they sell 4.5digit meters for ~$500. They are still more accurate than handheld DMMs. Handheld DMMs provide basic levels of accuracy and precision at an affordable price. They are, in general, more versatile than bench DMMs. However, in some environments, high accuracy and precision measurements are absolutely necessary. So, in turn, you have to sacrifice the portability and cost of a handheld DMM.

So, what exactly is the point you're trying to make? As much as I seem to bash bench DMMs, I'm not saying that I wouldn't like to own one. The idea of a permanent/fixed DMM can make sense, but only if installed on a purely electronics design bench. Otherwise, the portability is indispensable for everyday troubleshooting.

Offline netdudeuk

• Frequent Contributor

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 07:10:51 pm »
The VC8145 looks pretty good.  This might be an alternative:
http://www.amazon.com/Mastech-M9803R-Bench-type-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B004ISMUEE/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t/185-9604132-0408353#customerReviews
- I have no experience with either of them....

VC8145 thread here -

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/vc8145-thread-it's-here-finally/

I think the VC8145 is actually a decent stab at an entry level bench meter. I read through the whole thread and there were a few people complaining that it was a "lunchbox" due to how much empty space was inside, but half of the reason for having a bench meter is to be compatible with other stacking equipment...so that point seems moot to me.

Otherwise, the internal quality doesn't even look that bad, and it seems to perform pretty well.

Offline janaf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 07:30:52 pm »
In the UK, you can sometimes find Solartron 7151 at decent prices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solartron-Instruments-Schlumberger-7151-Computing-Multimeter/151159511647
my2C
Jan

Offline JuiceKing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 07:55:34 pm »
I'm having a hard time finding a decent bench multimeter.  I have an Aligent U1271, which I like, but I don't want it taking up bench space. 

Why can't I buy a bench multimeter as good as the U1271 for a decent price ?  Someone needs to do to multimeters what Rigol did to the scope market.

I'd love to see a sub $200 bench multimeter shoot out.

Can anyone recommend a good low cost bench multimeter ?

There are many choices if you are willing to buy a used bench meter. You can get an HP or Keithley 5.5-digit meter for $100-200, and they are plentiful on eBay. If you care about accuracy you will need to get it calibrated, of course, but if the meter was only recently taken out of service, the chances are good that the calibration will require no changes and what you will have is a very stable instrument that just works.

- Ken

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 08:26:25 pm »
I have one of those M9803R meters. I bought it from RSR Electronics about 10 years ago (just to get a different badge on it than Mastech). It's a decent meter, 4000 counts and agrees exactly with my Fluke 87-III whenever I compare them. The empty space inside is available for probe storage or you can use it for the 6xAA battery holder. It also runs off a 9 volt or wall plug power (it has a standard detachable IEC cord). I bought it because I wanted a meter for my bench that could sit up and out of the way, not to have some metrology grade instrument. If you just want a better brand name, you can find plenty of HP3468A meters under $200 on eBay. If I'd known about the HP meters back then, I probably would have bought one of them instead.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 08:43:39 pm »
I also have an older HP bench 4.5 digit DMM but I'm not using it anymore. It has no continuity beeper, no temperature or capacitance measurement and the current capability is only 2A.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 07:59:41 pm »
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:03:02 pm by Hydrawerk »
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 04:41:00 am »
I picked up a used 8842A Fluke off ebay recently for $120. It's a 5.5 digit meter, and I have been really happy with it.

Offline commongrounder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 02:12:28 pm »
How about the Fluke model 45?  I've had a couple of those for years and they are reasonably accurate and dual display.  5 digit 100,000 count.  They seem to pop up on ebay pretty regularly for under $200.00 US.

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 02:40:23 pm »
How about the Fluke model 45?  I've had a couple of those for years and they are reasonably accurate and dual display.  5 digit 100,000 count.  They seem to pop up on ebay pretty regularly for under $200.00 US.

I came here to say this.

Fluke 45. 4.5 Digits, fast and well built.

Offline soldersplash

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 03:07:56 pm »
Have a look at Datron 1061 or similar. Seem to come up on fleabay quite regularly quite cheap.
Kind regards,
soldersplash

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 09:51:42 pm »
Nobody has a TTI multimeter. OK. They are probably like TDS2000 scopes. Good for school but not suitable for hobbyists. No bang per buck.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline v81

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 03:55:49 am »
Same as the OP, i'm now looking for a bench meter.
Budged it <$200 AUD delivered.

I am looking at the Vichy VC8145 on AliExpress, but it looks like the Vichy units are often counterfeit, the one linked to here does not show the Vichy brand in the picture.

Also looking at the MASTECH MS8040, also on AliExpress.

Anyone have any suggestions either way, or recommend anything else in the same price range.

Have also checked E-Bay for 2nd hand gear, plenty in the USA, but too expensive to post here.

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 02:44:54 pm »
 I went used Hp.   I have 2 x 3457a, 2x 3456a and 3 x 3478a.  Yes,  they don't have some of features but my 3456a meters are easy to see,  settle fast, accurate and I find them easy to fix. I didn't pay more than $150 USD for any of them with the 3478a meters coming in under $70. I read all kinds of problems with some of the new meters right out of the box.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2015, 02:54:03 pm »
Same as the OP, i'm now looking for a bench meter.
Budged it <$200 AUD delivered.

I am looking at the Vichy VC8145 on AliExpress, but it looks like the Vichy units are often counterfeit, the one linked to here does not show the Vichy brand in the picture.
Vichy changed their name into Vici. Vichy=French puppet regime during WWII Vici=victory in Latin.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 07:05:52 pm »
I purchased a used Keithley 197. It is an old design, and was obsoleted by Keithley 10 years ago. There was no record of it being calibrated after manufacture but it appears to be within its 1 year spec still!. So for $120 I got a solid and well stabilized bench multimeter with better than 0.015% basic accuracy. What do you lose from something like the others mentioned? It does not have temperature, capacitance, frequency, continuity, back light, nor RS232.

So if you can live without some functions, don't dismiss used meters.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:09:51 pm by Lightages »

Offline AudioNoob

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2019, 12:03:15 pm »
Since the topic has seen no activity for almost four years, I'd like to ask if perhaps some new devices have been released for under $200 worth purchasing instead of VC8145?
I would gladly pick some used DMM off E-bay as has been suggested multiple times in this thread, but I'm in Ukraine and shipping cost is typically $80-120 so it makes absolutely no sense. VC8145 is $150 with free shipping.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 06:16:53 am by AudioNoob »

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2019, 12:53:42 pm »
Be sure to check that dmm you are going to buy has all the needed functions and ranges. Some of them may not have continuity check, capacitance measurements, temperature, support for voltages above 300V, high current range, etc.

BTW I have Keithely 2000, seems to be much faster and more precise than any portable dmm I have.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2019, 12:55:33 pm »
The VC8145 has all that. I recall looking at many used bench DMMs but they miss features like capacitance, temperature and high current. This thread is about 4 years old now but the VC8145 is still my 'daily driver' DMM.

The following users thanked this post: AudioNoob, Trader

Offline AudioNoob

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2019, 01:09:33 pm »
BTW I have Keithely 2000, seems to be much faster and more precise than any portable dmm I have.
No doubt, given the price of $1250!

Offline GigaJoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2019, 09:07:47 pm »
i would look at 5.5, instead 4.5 ....
GW Instek GDM-8251A   
Fluke 8840A ; 8842A
HP 3478a - primitive, abit slow, but crazy accurate and cheap

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 09:21:17 pm by GigaJoe »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2019, 10:14:50 pm »
Audionoob, given where you are and the shipping conditions, you would still be ok with the VC8145.

I have two HP 3478As, a Keithley 191 and a Racal Dana 5001. The HPs are quite good but their display is very hard to read, while the Keithley and the Racal have LED displays and tend to be much cheaper (the Keithley unfortunately does not have current, but it is still incredibly accurate after 30+ years).

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Chris56000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2019, 10:45:36 pm »
Hi!

The Mastech M9803R is also badged as the Digimess DM200.

I have one awaiting repair for a no display fault due to internal failure of the NJU9210F single DMM chip – this device is expensive, prone to failure and very difficult to get!

Symptoms of impending failure:–

a) Delay in all the segments coming on at first self–test;

b) Erratic auto–ranging or very slow to range up;

c) One or more ranges wildly out – these DMM ICs contain part of the range–divider resistor internally;

d) Jumping between ranges.

I managed to get one of these ICs but it cost well over £50, & I'm certainly not going to attempt to fit it until I've renewed every other semiconductor on the main board and rebuilt & tested the mains power unit!

Chris Williams
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 10:47:57 pm by Chris56000 »
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline gearshredder

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2019, 08:54:13 pm »
i would look at 5.5, instead 4.5 ....
GW Instek GDM-8251A   
Fluke 8840A ; 8842A
HP 3478a - primitive, abit slow, but crazy accurate and cheap

All of these have 4 wire kelvin too, which the VC8145 does not. I don't see any handheld meters have unless it's called a milliohm meter. I'm happy I found my Datron 1062 for $50, just needed a electrolytic and tantalum recap. Some of the tantalums smoked.

I think there should be a cheap bench meter for the same reasons I picked up mine:
- A sweet display
- Buttons for convenience and speed.
- 4 wire kelvin measurement
- Various modes and Compute functions (that I don't know how to use yet because I'm a noob, soo... not a good reason lol)
- Super fast autoranging. (0.74 seconds infinite to short, 1.4 to infinite).
Now, if only it would beep.

What is the cheapest multimeter with 4 wire kelvin? With a quick look I see the Siglent Technologies SDM3045X $389 USD
I guess if you are on a budget, you'd make yourself a current source instead and just use a handheld.

Offline AudioNoob

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2019, 09:31:33 pm »
Wow, that Datron 1062 does look sweet. I love the old-school design. Goes for $350, though.

If there was any handheld DMM with a bi-directional digital interface, I'd be happy to make a desktop "interface" for it (a box with a screen, buttons and connector sockets). Obviously, it would have to be a DMM with electronic range and unit switch, and I don't know any. Most, if not all, good DMMs have a physical switch and only output, no input for selecting range and such.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 09:36:49 pm by AudioNoob »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2019, 09:35:23 pm »
How many times do you need 4 wire Kelvin resistance measurements? Most resistors in circuits are 1% or worse and usually have values way over 1 Ohm.

Offline gearshredder

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2019, 02:35:45 am »
I do it at least a few times a week at work with various contactors, and switches. I don't have a 4 wire setup at work (yet) so I just put it on the power supply that I have. I set the voltage to 6V and limit to 1A. The bad ones will not conduct, or are very intermittent, until you turn up the voltage to about 18v or so. It'd be nice to have a 4 wire to do this at work but I guess this works just fine as I haven't had any repeat issues. (The feedback is a fault code on some). I found the method on a Panasonic Electromechanical switches department page. It's saved me a lot of time.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2019, 07:16:03 am »
No doubt, given the price of $1250!

He obviously doesn't own a Hioki DT4282.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2019, 11:01:50 am »
He obviously doesn't own a Hioki DT4282..

What's up with Hioki DT4282? Is it good?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2019, 12:47:56 pm »

Yes.

Offline Cnoob

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2019, 02:09:53 pm »
Quote from: exe on Yesterday at 10:01:50 pm

Yes.

The Fluke 87 V is referred to, as King of the multimeter's. I own one, I also own a Hioki DT4282 which I refer to, as the King Slayer.

Also own a Fluke289 which also is not as good as the Hioki in my opinion.   

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2019, 05:24:17 pm »
The Fluke 87 V is referred to, as King of the multimeter's. I own one, I also own a Hioki DT4282 which I refer to, as the King Slayer.

Also own a Fluke289 which also is not as good as the Hioki in my opinion.

So, what's so special about Hioki that K2000 put into shame? :).

PS wouldn't calll 87V a king, brymen 869s is better in my opinion, although don't have any of them (yet).

Offline gearshredder

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2019, 05:50:48 pm »
I'd call the 87v a king if industry buys em by default.

Offline Cnoob

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2019, 06:06:06 pm »
So, what's so special about Hioki that K2000 put into shame? .

PS wouldn't calll 87V a king, brymen 869s is better in my opinion, although don't have any of them (yet).

I don't own a K2000 or any other bench  multimeter. The Hioki has good resolution 1mohm, 1pf. good DC accuracy 0.025% same as fluke 289, but measures slightly more accurately. About as versatile as a Bryman 869s except it only has 60000 count unlike the 500000 count on some of the ranges of the 869s and 867s(which I have).

It's fairly straight forward to use. Finally like the Fluke 87 V it's a class act, by the way it functions.

This is a quick reply from the top of my head.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2019, 06:13:18 pm »
I'd call the 87v a king if industry buys em by default.

I'd rather be a kingslayer than a king.

I've heard the Hioki described as the "closest thing to a bench meter you can get in a handheld". It's terribly fast at reading and does a lot of things the Fluke 87V can't.

nb. I don't own either of them.

(but if somebody told me to pick any multimeter for free I'd pick the Hioki over a Fluke or Brymen).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 06:30:38 pm by Fungus »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2019, 06:16:28 pm »
About as versatile as a Bryman 869s except it only has 60000 count unlike the 500000 count on some of the ranges of the 869s and 867s(which I have).
Just one detail: the 500.000 count mode of the Brymens is fairly inaccurate but useful to track trending voltages - something useful for analysis of battery discharge, for example.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2019, 06:24:27 pm »
About as versatile as a Bryman 869s except it only has 60000 count unlike the 500000 count on some of the ranges of the 869s and 867s(which I have).
Just one detail: the 500.000 count mode of the Brymens is fairly inaccurate but useful to track trending voltages - something useful for analysis of battery discharge, for example.

Yep. Pressing a button to add an extra digit to the end of the display doesn't change the base accuracy. The 0.02% specification still applies and that's only 5,000 counts.

(although it will do better than 0.02% in practice, the 50,000 counts in "low res" mode isn't completely wasted)

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2019, 06:33:57 pm »
I just got my 2nd HP 3478A and cleaned the sticker residue off a couple of days ago.  I've also got a pair of 34401As.  I paid $105-110 for the 3478As and $240-250 for the 34401As, USD delivered .

The 3478As are dedicated to PSU monitoring.

I'm not aware of anything comparable in cost, performance and availability.  I'd say mean time to find at the prices I quoted as 4-6 weeks of watching.  Then make an offer.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2019, 06:38:44 pm »
It depends on how define performance... I looked at those old DMMs as well but they lack a lot of useful features compared to the VC8145. Also I hate the small LCD display on the HP 3478A. It is hard to read.

Offline gearshredder

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2019, 09:26:45 pm »
It depends on how define performance... I looked at those old DMMs as well but they lack a lot of useful features compared to the VC8145. Also I hate the small LCD display on the HP 3478A. It is hard to read.
what features exactly?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2019, 09:30:22 pm »
Besides a back-lit LCD with big digits: Fast continuity, frequency, capacitance, temperature and 20A current range.

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2019, 11:21:50 pm »
a Fluke 8846a  will give almost everything you need,  10 amps not 20 amps,  but the price range is not what you want at the end.

Offline AudioNoob

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2019, 06:36:14 am »
The Hioki has good resolution 1mohm, 1pf. good DC accuracy 0.025% same as fluke 289, but measures slightly more accurately. About as versatile as a Bryman 869s except it only has 60000 count unlike the 500000 count on some of the ranges of the 869s and 867s(which I have).
Hioki - close to $500
Brymen 867s (50 000 / 500 000 counts) - close to $150. This is not even an apples to apples comparison.
(Why does any equipment discussion end up at handheld DMMs?)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 01:22:35 pm by AudioNoob »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2019, 01:19:24 pm »
The Hioki has good resolution 1mohm, 1pf. good DC accuracy 0.025% same as fluke 289, but measures slightly more accurately. About as versatile as a Bryman 869s except it only has 60000 count unlike the 500000 count on some of the ranges of the 869s and 867s(which I have).
Hioki - close to $500
Brymen 867s (50 000 / 500 000 counts) - close to $150. This is not even an apples to apples comparison.
The Hioki is close in price and features to Keysight's U1282A.

Why does any equipment discussion ends up at handheld DMMs?)
People looooove their HHs! :-DD

Offline Shmidtey

• Metrology tech, electronic tinkerer
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2019, 06:48:59 am »
I just bought myself the VC8145 that was mentioned, maybe i'll see if i can bring it into the metrology lab i work at and poke it with the ol' fluke 5500A .
I've been able to play with quite a few more pricey/higher spec'd meters from the work, (fluke 8842 & 45, HP 34401 & 3458A, Keithley 2000, 2400, 197/197A) so it will be interesting to see how it compares.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2019, 08:37:20 am »
it will be interesting to see how it compares.

Please share your thoughts!

Offline Shmidtey

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2019, 06:37:18 am »
It got delivered today!
Im really liking the display, very bright with good contrast, and I think the dual display refresh rate is as fast or maybe a little faster than the fluke 45s i've seen. Continuity test is very fast, and is merged with diode test. Compared to my other DMMs its accurate enough, though I havent had a chance to check it in the lab yet against its full specs. But i have already spotted one HUGE problem. (Pictured)
A TYPO! Unacceptable.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2019, 07:31:06 am »
Did you use hacksaw to reduce the depth of the device? It looks very shallow.

Offline Shmidtey

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2019, 02:31:23 pm »
Lol yeah, there is alot of empty space in there, and bench space is a precious commodity for me. So I cut it in half, gonna square up the cut by hand, and then do the same for the back end of the housing.
I think im going to ditch the internal supply for and external 9 volt wall wart to save even more space.

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2019, 02:28:00 pm »
they should have done a hand held dmm with this bench meter ...

The following users thanked this post: exe

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2019, 12:06:33 pm »
For what reason? Put another handheld on the market in an already crowded segment? IMHO the VC8145 sits in a very nice sweet spot where it comes to price, features and competition.

Offline Shmidtey

« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2019, 03:34:10 pm »

Im glad they didnt, i quite like my VC8145-Shorty!  :-DD
Bet you can't do this to a fluke 45 or HP 34401 LOL.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2019, 03:59:26 pm »

I'm thinking of doing it to a Fluke 37 I got the other day.

(for 20 Euros)

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2019, 01:16:10 am »

Nope  loll  i can't do that on my 34401

Maybe on my tektronix dm5120, since the meter module is in a frame, the xformer and the gpib plug are exrternal, i'll shorten it, maybe by 3 or 4 inches for a start ... loll

Just paid 200$  for it,  a 6.5 digits meter, an oldie but a goodie  loll

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf