Author Topic: Best way to securely attach probe to a passive SMD component?  (Read 5376 times)

Offline LaurentRTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Best way to securely attach probe to a passive SMD component?
« on: September 26, 2017, 02:39:40 pm »
Seeing the multiple threads on the topic, IC pin probing can be done using micro grabbers of the right size or some of the more exotic ways like the Keysight wedges or the comb probe tips.

How about attaching a probe to one side of a passive SMD component (resistor/cap or other component without a real "pin" to grab on)? I have use the big grabbers, but they have a tendency to jump away at the slightest provocation as they are under a lot of tension when doing this. One could also use one of the probe holders (like the 2-legged or articuated Keysight).

Are there grabbers that pinch the component hard and securely enough to stay in place? Any other solution?

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Re: Best way to securely attach probe to a passive SMD component?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 06:05:07 pm »
Use a solder down probe or solder a short length of wire to the component.

Offline simone.pignatti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 06:26:57 pm »
have you seen this ?
Technical Support

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 06:39:45 pm »
have you seen this ?

Which of these would you use? I have a number of different types of probe accessories and grabbers, but nothing that really stay on well on passives.
alm's option is obviously the most secure (and generally easy to execute).

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 07:01:21 pm »
Pogo pins are made for doing that.

I've had the best luck so far making very unprofessional looking holders out of things Ive had around the house.
Toys..

Also, masking tape and rubber bands have proved themselves very useful in that context.. also, soldering wires temporarily.. especially for the ground.

IMHO micro grabbers cant grab SMD components like they would need to be grabbed..to stay connected. They are great for through hole stuff though.

Seeing the multiple threads on the topic, IC pin probing can be done using micro grabbers of the right size or some of the more exotic ways like the Keysight wedges or the comb probe tips.

How about attaching a probe to one side of a passive SMD component (resistor/cap or other component without a real "pin" to grab on)? I have use the big grabbers, but they have a tendency to jump away at the slightest provocation as they are under a lot of tension when doing this. One could also use one of the probe holders (like the 2-legged or articuated Keysight).

Are there grabbers that pinch the component hard and securely enough to stay in place? Any other solution?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:38:44 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Online MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 07:54:48 pm »
Keysight has an "SMD Micro grabber" which is made for clipping onto resistors and capacitors.  Because it has two contacts, you can also use two of them for micro Kelvin measurements.

A bit pricey at US$58.55, but it gets the job done.  It can be ordered at the Keysight parts page, part #1400-3652.  Or if you really want to spend some money, it's also included in the N2877A, N2879A, and other specialty probe accessory kits.

http://www.keysight.com/my/faces/partDetail.jspx?partNumber=1400-3652

Below are a couple of photos of it attached to a twin-lead probe adapter.

EDIT:  I should also note that's an 0805 component it's clipped to.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:12:06 pm by MarkL »

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, Electro Detective

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 08:05:53 pm »
For what need ?
Prototyping or repair/fault finding ?

If you're working with your own design, add SMD test points. 0603 are about the smallest that can be grabbed with a probe hook. Just a few are needed, a gnd and along signal path or at critical points like a PLL.
When the prototype is proved unsolder the test points for reuse and/or compact the layout to final size.

Working with somebody else's creation with zero thought given to fault finding or rework  ::) , get out the iron and add connection points needed.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 09:21:21 pm »
I use plastic spring clamps to make a tripod, but for anything that is likely to need a more strurdy or permanent connection, I get the hot pointy thing out and add a short through-hole component lead I can clip on to.

For high speed probing I make up a coaxial spring setup for ground and testpoint out of wound through-hole component leads so that the probe can be slipped in.

For differential high speed probing such as USB HS speeds and above, it’s typically a jury rig with elastic bands and/or kapton tape to hold the bulk of the probe and judicious tip browser adjustment. If the signal is designed to run over a cable, I make up a very short M/F breakout to intercept the signal where I can probe.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 09:49:13 pm »
Keysight has an "SMD Micro grabber" which is made for clipping onto resistors and capacitors.  Because it has two contacts, you can also use two of them for micro Kelvin measurements.

A bit pricey at US$58.55, but it gets the job done.  It can be ordered at the Keysight parts page, part #1400-3652.  Or if you really want to spend some money, it's also included in the N2877A, N2879A, and other specialty probe accessory kits.

Great find, I didn't know this clip existed. It looks another Hirschmann product:
http://www.newark.com/hirschmann-testmeasurement/972416100/clip-test-micro-smd-black-mln/dp/67C8450

The following users thanked this post: MarkL

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 10:03:12 pm »
I agree with alm; solder in a test point which may be as simple as a tiny loop of thin bus bar wire.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 10:17:09 pm »
I agree with alm; solder in a test point which may be as simple as a tiny loop of thin bus bar wire.
In my experience a wire often gets loose easely and you have to power down the circuit while soldering it to the component. I like the Hirschmann clip and I'm going to order one to see if it works.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:32:04 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 10:42:05 pm »
Great find, I didn't know this clip existed. It looks another Hirschmann product:
http://www.newark.com/hirschmann-testmeasurement/972416100/clip-test-micro-smd-black-mln/dp/67C8450
That's an even better find since it's less than half the cost.  The one I bought from Keysight actually has a very tiny Hirschmann logo on the handle.  I didn't even notice it.

Not surprising since a lot of Keysight probes are third party now-a-days.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 02:38:42 am »
Let me take this opportunity to bitch and moan about the practice of taking generic hardware items, attaching the world "probe" or "probe holder" or "micro manipulator" or "probe positioner" especially to them and charging around 20 times more.

No way are they getting my money for clothespins.

Note: I am not directing my ranting at the mechano.co.jp people whose products look both cute and useful.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 04:39:43 am »
Let me take this opportunity to bitch and moan about the practice of taking generic hardware items, attaching the world "probe" or "probe holder" or "micro manipulator" or "probe positioner" especially to them and charging around 20 times more.

No way are they getting my money for clothespins.

Note: I am not directing my ranting at the mechano.co.jp people whose products look both cute and useful.
:)
Which is why I wonder if one of these can be repurposed and modded for SMD.
http://www.newark.com/adaptive-interconnect-electronics/501791-b/mitten-style-telecom-clip/dp/82R5267?MER=bn_level5_4NP_LastViewed_1
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 08:12:15 am »
I wonder if one of these can be repurposed and modded for SMD.
http://www.newark.com/adaptive-interconnect-electronics/501791-b/mitten-style-telecom-clip/dp/82R5267?MER=bn_level5_4NP_LastViewed_1
No chance, those clips are very heavy and while excellent for clipping to typical wire sizes they are near useless for electronics.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 04:46:37 am »
Solder a short length of kynar wire across end of the component and clip to that, when the probe is laying in position, as you don't want to rip it away suddenly.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 05:37:58 am »
Supporting the probe and having as little force pulling it is certainly key. Banana plugs are obviously out, and it helps to support the lead and possibly even the clip separately. Something like blue tack might be helpful there.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 05:40:56 am »

Those clips actually look really useful.I might get one of the cheaper "clones"

The way i tend to do it is just solder a tiny enamel coated wire to the part and clip my probe to the wire instead. I never found micrograbbers useful for SMD stuff. Maybe to grab a pin of a SOIC, but anything smaller is not going to work (SOICs are going extinct these days).

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2017, 12:14:18 am »

Those clips actually look really useful.I might get one of the cheaper "clones"

The way i tend to do it is just solder a tiny enamel coated wire to the part and clip my probe to the wire instead. I never found micrograbbers useful for SMD stuff. Maybe to grab a pin of a SOIC, but anything smaller is not going to work (SOICs are going extinct these days).

I did find some clips that work on QFP 0.5mm pitch on one of my trips to Japan a couple of years ago. They are even more fragile then the normal micrograbbers. But just like SOICs, QFP are so yesterday as we all head to a leadless paradise, and soldering a wire on isn’t really that hard!

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 01:18:59 am »
Check out what you can DIY for 3rd hands with segmented CNC hose (Loc-Line or similar), and use those to hold individual pogo pins or ready-made probes.  ;)

Searching for "loc-line" will show you some posts of these sorts of things here in the forum (or "DIY helping hands" on Google if you prefer).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf