Author Topic: bg7tbl gpsdo master reference  (Read 371802 times)

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
Re: bg7tbl gpsdo master reference
« Reply #350 on: April 30, 2017, 05:59:05 pm »
The next version of Heather has code to fake the missing odd seconds.   Version 5.0 fakes them internally, but the faked seconds happen so fast they don't usually show up on the screen.

If you are using a Linux build, I can send you the latest source code to build.  Most people can't build the Windows version and most email systems block sending .EXE files.

The following users thanked this post: richnormand

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #351 on: April 30, 2017, 06:48:47 pm »
Exactly what I am seeing. Thanks for the quick reply and the nice software (if I understand correctly you are the author?) texaspyro.
Any though if it is possible to reconfigure the Trimble board itself to stop that behaviour since Lady Heather can send commands to it?

Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline usagiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #352 on: April 30, 2017, 09:10:56 pm »
trimble documentation says you can change the NMEA auto reporting frequency with TSIP command 0x7A. see pages 3-4 and A-50.

The following users thanked this post: richnormand

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #353 on: April 30, 2017, 10:43:49 pm »
Exactly what I am seeing. Thanks for the quick reply and the nice software (if I understand correctly you are the author?) texaspyro.
Any though if it is possible to reconfigure the Trimble board itself to stop that behaviour since Lady Heather can send commands to it?

Yep,  I wrote it.

If you send the receiver the command "TOD DI" will disable the time code message and "TOD EN" will enable it.   Heather depends upon it being enabled for proper operation.

If you are running Heather and talking to the receiver, the "!t" keyboard command will enter terminal emulator mode.  You can issue commands to the receiver.  the END key will exit terminal emulator mode... this might cause Heather to re-initialize the receiver and the time code message.  You can also send a user command to the receiver with the "!u" keyboard command.  Without the time code message, Heather will detect a loss of serial port data and try to re-initialize communications to the device.

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #354 on: May 04, 2017, 08:38:26 pm »

If you send the receiver the command "TOD DI" will disable the time code message and "TOD EN" will enable it.   Heather depends upon it being enabled for proper operation.

Did that and it works well. Thanks. I also tried some of the command listed when doing a "help" or "?" request.
BTW: also noted that the command OUT:TP:SEL? does not work but if you try OUTP:TP:SEL? it does work.Same thing with its PP1S sister OUTP....
Wonder if this typo is on my unit model only or might be more generalised to the whole 57963-D series....

I was not able to change to RS-232 output to 1PPS however, just the hardware pulse.

Been too busy to spend much time on this but glad that Lady Heather indicates that the unit is stable and reliable.

Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #355 on: May 04, 2017, 08:49:05 pm »
Thanks for the info usagi. I managed to find the information in the "Trimble Standard Interface Protocol" on the web and slowly going through the whole thing.
Just been too busy to make much progress these past few days.

So I use the "" 0x10, id, data, 0x10 0x03 "" command format and the sub header if required. Something like 10 7A 00 10 03 and send it to the RS232 port.
Only get a bad header or bad command response. Tried several formats but obviously doing something wrong here or the port is configured with the wrong protocol.
If you look at my previous post I can talk to the unit OK using the commands (not all) listed by "help" request.... so the port works.

More  |O required before  :-+ obviously.

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #356 on: May 04, 2017, 09:37:08 pm »
These "UCCM" units don't speak TSIP.

Also that "OUT:..." in the help menu is a typo.

Also also, you can't change the 2 second time code message output rate.

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #357 on: May 04, 2017, 11:18:00 pm »
Thanks texaspyro :)

Guess I'll stop going down that path then.... and wait for your next version of Lady Heather.
Any hint why the program is named Lady Heather by the way?

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #358 on: May 05, 2017, 06:50:04 am »

Any hint why the program is named Lady Heather by the way?

I could tell you, but then she would beat me mercilessly...   :box:

Actually it was a combination of three Heather's within a week:
1) I went over to a friend's house and she was watching a movie called "Heathers" on TV.

2) It was near Halloween and a friend and his girlfriend (named Heather) stopped by on their way to a party.  She was dressed as a naughty nurse/maid/dungeon queen/something oooh-la-la and had a riding crop.

3) At the time, the TV program CSI had a recurring character named Lady Heather that was a dominatrix.  The program was for controlling gps DISCIPLINED oscillators.

'Twas karma that made me do it...

Then there's also the story about some government funded lab that uses it, but before that could do that they had to edit the icon.  So the slighly risqué name helps keep any stuck-up riff-raff away.

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel, bitseeker, richnormand, DaJMasta, akumiszcza

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #359 on: July 11, 2017, 09:07:44 pm »
Hi,

on my BG7TBL build with an Ublox M7 modul, there was a chemical damaged Backup Capacitor or is it a Battery, idk. So I lost the whole config and the device would'nt lock anymore. I can't find the right setup  :-//

Please can anybody help me out and send me the config file for the UCenter software ?

It is pretty easy. Check out >Tools > GNSS Configuration. Hit GNSS > File, save it and post it here or pm me.

Thank you. ;)

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #360 on: July 11, 2017, 09:56:16 pm »
I think the serial port on the BG7TBL GPSDO's is output only and you can't send commands to the Ublox. 

One thing to try is to momentarily short circuit the battery with the unit powered down.  This should corrupt the config RAM and the Ublox firmware should re-initialize it from flash memory.  This has worked on several Ublox and Sirf based modules I have. 

If BG7TBL set a custom config in RAM and didn't save it in flash, you are probably screwed.   Note that with the Ublox there are two levels of flash storage for the config.  The first is a user defined config.  The next is the factory defaults which are usually only loaded via a software command.  I don't know what happens if the RAM and user flash configs are both corrupted.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #361 on: July 11, 2017, 11:48:23 pm »
> The next is the factory defaults which are usually only loaded via a software command.  I don't know what happens if the RAM and user flash configs are both corrupted.

You likely would need to have access to the appropriate firmware file so you could reflash it.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #362 on: July 12, 2017, 12:59:03 am »
You likely would need to have access to the appropriate firmware file so you could reflash it.

If the flash firmware gets corrupted is should revert to the ROM firmware.

Offline K1FPV

• Contributor
« Reply #363 on: July 12, 2017, 01:17:36 am »
I just ordered one of the newer versions of the BG7TBL with the mod. date of 2017-03-29. I'm curious to see the differences internally. Now if I could only locate a copy of the HP/Symmetricom 58531A software for my HP 58540A GPS RX.

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #364 on: July 12, 2017, 01:39:33 am »
Now if I could only locate a copy of the HP/Symmetricom 58531A software for my HP 58540A GPS RX.

If I had one,  I could get Lady Heather to work with it.   It is a bit different than the other Z38xx and HP5xxxx devices, but not that much.

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #365 on: July 12, 2017, 07:36:27 am »
I think the serial port on the BG7TBL GPSDO's is output only and you can't send commands to the Ublox.

Nope, I can send all comands to the modul. It must, because without TX I can't send a cold/warmstart etc. I also can read and write the config file. The Unit works fine, but I got no lock and without a lock this GPSDO is useless.

I think the Modul doesn't run with the defaults. Thats why they have plant in the AVR. Something is different to the default config and I have no Idea what. That's why I need the configuration file.
I've played arround with the config. Most settings I have no clue what they are good for, but for maybe half an hour the Unit has locked. I directly saved the config into the flash, but it would'nt work anymore.

Come on guys. It's 5min of work to read out the config.

Thank you

I just ordered one of the newer versions of the BG7TBL with the mod. date of 2017-03-29. I'm curious to see the differences internally.

Where you found the teardown pictures? Is there still the ublox M7 inside or the newer M8N.

Btw. does anyone tried to read out the AVR?

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #366 on: July 12, 2017, 05:20:40 pm »
Why don't you look up BG7TBL in a Chinese callbook or see if he has a web site and shoot him an email?

But first try to exhaust your obvious low hanging fruit fixes..

The GPS is likely producing NMEA or a binary data stream. What is it saying? Can you paste the stream into a post here?

Also, are you sure you cleaned the board well, maybe the damaging chemical left some residue on the board which is preventing it from performing as its should, in other words, maybe its still there,

I would remove all batteries, and following the instructions elsewhere here on cleaning off water damaged boards and/or flux residue, clean the board and then dry it thoroughly before re-use.

GPS is high enough frequency that even a small amount of flux residue on an RF board substantially decreases performance.

Maybe some other similar residue is causing the decline.  That may be your problem right there.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:44:11 pm by cdev »

Offline K1FPV

• Contributor
« Reply #367 on: July 12, 2017, 08:46:04 pm »
Where you found the teardown pictures? Is there still the ublox M7 inside or the newer M8N.

The pictures of the exterior were on the sight that this seller was advertising it on eBay. ( thanksbuyer-hobby (8884 ) There were no pictures of the inside! I asked him before buying it which date was on each of them and he said 2017-03-29 which was pictured. I'll let you know when it comes in.

Offline K1FPV

• Contributor
« Reply #368 on: July 12, 2017, 10:40:05 pm »
Darn, I wish I was able to locate a copy of the HP 58531A comm program for the HP 58540 GPS receiver. I've got a receiver, it is locked exactly on 10.000,00000 as measured with my counter using another GPSDO. Unfortunately, I'm unable to communicate with it. I've used HyperTerminal, PUTTY, and Termite. No luck!  >:(

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #369 on: July 13, 2017, 01:42:04 am »
I think you have a DTR and cable issue.
The Protocoll is SCPI. Factory default 9600 baud, 8 data,1 stop bit, no parity. I am sure it works with a FTDI232BM cable/adapter (ebay 381374421597)  because this chip has the full RS232 pin assignment.
I like to use hterm as grafical terminal.
http://www.der-hammer.info/terminal/

Send *IDN? and I bet you got an answer.
See attached Datasheet.

I'll let you know when it comes in.

Hope you make some pics.

Why don't you look up BG7TBL in a Chinese callbook or see if he has a web site and shoot him an email?

Because they didn't answer and for the most here they have connect his BG7TBL to a PC it is 2min of work to send me a config file.

The GPS is likely producing NMEA or a binary data stream. What is it saying? Can you paste the stream into a post here?

It "says" the standard NMEA protocoll like all of the UBLOX modules I have with the default settings. Nothing special.

Also, are you sure you cleaned the board well, maybe the damaging chemical left some residue on the board which is preventing it from performing as its should, in other words, maybe its still there,

I would remove all batteries, and following the instructions elsewhere here on cleaning off water damaged boards and/or flux residue, clean the board and then dry it thoroughly before re-use.

GPS is high enough frequency that even a small amount of flux residue on an RF board substantially decreases performance.

Maybe some other similar residue is causing the decline.  That may be your problem right there.

Ya, the Hardware works fine.

@all
I still need a UCenter config file for the NEO 7M or lower version.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #370 on: July 13, 2017, 01:48:44 am »
Darn, I wish I was able to locate a copy of the HP 58531A comm program for the HP 58540 GPS receiver. I've got a receiver, it is locked exactly on 10.000,00000 as measured with my counter using another GPSDO. Unfortunately, I'm unable to communicate with it. I've used HyperTerminal, PUTTY, and Termite. No luck!  >:(

A terminal program should work fine with it.
VE7FM

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #371 on: July 13, 2017, 02:07:47 am »

Send *IDN? and I bet you got an answer.

And try ending the command with LF.  Some SCPI devices want the commands to end with CR, others LF,  and I have a couple that want CR and LF.

Also, most HP equipment needs a null modem cable to talk to a PC.

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #372 on: July 13, 2017, 02:15:25 am »
And try ending the command with LF.  Some SCPI devices want the commands to end with CR, others LF,  and I have a couple that want CR and LF.
Also, most HP equipment needs a null modem cable to talk to a PC.

True. Thats why I like to use hterm for SCPI communications. You also can set commands in a timer. For example to request your frequency every 10s or something like that.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #373 on: July 13, 2017, 10:21:23 pm »
Have you tried searching on Github to see if somebody has written a Linux version of Ucenter or similar.. sometimes 3rd party apps, especially on Linux are more useful for understanding how devices communicate than the manufacturers apps.

Also, try running the windows equivalent of strings (whatever that is) on the binary maybe you'll get some clues in the revealed error messages.

Also, why not ask questions more specifically about whatever is going wrong.  "cannot get 3D fix"  You also should post some of the NEMA messages you are getting (since no 3D fix its not going to give your location away)

Did you try communicating with it with GPSD, for example?

Also, and from experience, this is more often than not the problem, whatever USB-UART device you're using, if its not working, swap it out for another one. Just try that.

Another idea, when you bring it up you may need to tell it roughly where you are and what day month year etc it is. Normally it saves some of that info.. The older the GPS the less sensitive it is, so you also need a GOOD SIGNAL for at least 13 minutes minimum to get the ephemeris. Any interruption at all, it has to keep trying. Sometimes if a GPS has been sitting in a drawer for a while you would swear it was dead and then suddenly, poof, its alive.

Use a decent amplified antenna and put it outside, not just on your windowsill.

Another idea, try putting some ferrite split beads on the USB-UART.. or other devices youre using.. why not.. maybe its causing RFI at 1.575 GHz you have no idea.. GPS signals are pretty weak.... 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:32:32 pm by cdev »

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #374 on: July 13, 2017, 10:51:10 pm »
Have you tried searching on Github to see if somebody has written a Linux version of Ucenter or similar..

Lady Heather will work with it (and just about any GPS receiver or GPSDO, including GPSD).   It should auto-detect NMEA and Ublox devices.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf