http://opalkelly.com/

Author Topic: bg7tbl gpsdo master reference  (Read 75176 times)

Offline texaspyro

• Regular Contributor
Re: bg7tbl gpsdo master reference
« Reply #375 on: July 14, 2017, 08:51:10 AM »
Have you tried searching on Github to see if somebody has written a Linux version of Ucenter or similar..

Lady Heather will work with it (and just about any GPS receiver or GPSDO, including GPSD).   It should auto-detect NMEA and Ublox devices.

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #376 on: July 15, 2017, 02:59:45 AM »
Also, why not ask questions more specifically about whatever is going wrong.

I did. I wrote "the hardware works fine, GPS too, but no lock."

Offline D3f1ant

• Regular Contributor
  • Doing as little as possible, but no less.
« Reply #377 on: July 15, 2017, 08:38:57 AM »
Was a firmware update ever released for the BG7TBL to fix the minor error?

Offline metrologist

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #378 on: July 17, 2017, 05:47:33 AM »
Thanks, I'd like to know too. I was considering the 2017 model. (note that I'm not really familiar with this topic, but am interested in GPSDO)

Is it confirmed that the star4 and trimble versions do not have bug and can be controlled by Lady Heather? I read no versions can be and that there is no actual oscillator disciplining
(earlier in this thread by usagi)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Mhz-GPSDO-OSCILLOQUARTZ-OSA-OEM-GPS-GPSDO-10MHz-1PPS-STAR-GPS-Clock-/262861459973

There is a version with both sine and square 10M outputs, maybe not a bg7tbl variant.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trimble-GPS-Receiver-GPSDO-10MHz-1PPS-GPS-Disciplined-Clock-sine-and-square-wave/252162780444

Otherwise, would it be better to consider just the trimble or NEC module (no control interface?) or a trimble thunderbolt?

I forgot to put in the mix the Low Jitter Precision GPSDO Reference Oscillator if I just wanted a reference.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 07:28:39 AM by metrologist »

Offline texaspyro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #379 on: July 17, 2017, 08:20:56 AM »

Otherwise, would it be better to consider just the trimble or NEC module (no control interface?) or a trimble thunderbolt?

The latest version (5.01 or later) of Lady Heather works will with the Star-4 and NEC GPSDOs.  It must be connected to the "management interface" serial port... which is a logic level interface, you will need a level shifter to use it with RS-232 serial ports.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #380 on: July 17, 2017, 09:27:32 AM »
The only units that had the frequency error are the ones where he built his own circuit from scratch.  Any of the units that include another GPSDO (Trimble, Symmetricom, Oscilloquartz) were fine.  I've heard that his later units fixed the frequency error, but I've never seen any test results.

Ed

Offline metrologist

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #381 on: July 18, 2017, 01:52:54 AM »
Thanks, I broke down and bought a variant of the bg7btl with a Trimble 57963 with the 73090 OCXO (I read these were updated versions of the ThunderBolt?). This one has the additional square wave output. Date code in the ebay pic anyway is 0953.? Are these serial ports really RS232 levels or 5V TTL? I recall seeing one with a USB-TTL plugged right into the top row of the connector. Maybe he was using some kind of max chip?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 01:57:57 AM by metrologist »

Online NivagSwerdna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #382 on: July 18, 2017, 02:15:15 AM »
Thanks, I broke down and bought a ....
:clap:

Offline Dwaine

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #383 on: July 18, 2017, 09:55:29 AM »

The latest version (5.01 or later) of Lady Heather works will with the Star-4 and NEC GPSDOs.  It must be connected to the "management interface" serial port... which is a logic level interface, you will need a level shifter to use it with RS-232 serial ports.

The seller of the star-4 has reworked the interface so it will work with Lady Heather.  There are screenshots of it in the auction.   I wish I had the newer unit that has that change.

Offline texaspyro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #384 on: July 18, 2017, 10:55:13 AM »

The seller of the star-4 has reworked the interface so it will work with Lady Heather.  There are screenshots of it in the auction.   I wish I had the newer unit that has that change.

You can modify the device.  There are two pins (needles) that connect the Star-4 GPS receiver RXD and TXD to his interface board (I think that some builds used pogo pins and others may have soldered the connections).  Remove the pins to break the connection to the GPS receiver and wire the pads to the GPS management interface TXD and RXD on the Star-4 connector.  His connection to the Star-4 connector has vias  for most or all of the Star-4 connections.

Offline 1audio

• Contributor
« Reply #385 on: July 18, 2017, 02:43:46 PM »
Have you tried searching on Github to see if somebody has written a Linux version of Ucenter or similar..

Lady Heather will work with it (and just about any GPS receiver or GPSDO, including GPSD).   It should auto-detect NMEA and Ublox devices.

I have an Arbiter GPSDO 1083A similar to this: http://www.arbiter.com/catalog/product/model-1083b.php that an older version of Lady Heather didn't talk to. It seems they have their own command set etc. but its fully documented. I got it because it has a Wenzel 5 MHz streamline oscillator and a Motorola receiver. I figured I could screw around for ages and not get better results. I can supply docs if interested. I also have a Tbolt that works great with LH.

Offline 1Ghz

• Supporter
« Reply #386 on: July 21, 2017, 01:38:34 AM »
Bought latest version of the BG7TBL.
My first freq reference.  8)
« Last Edit: Today at 04:01:15 PM by 1Ghz »

Offline 1Ghz

• Supporter
« Reply #387 on: July 21, 2017, 01:47:59 AM »
BG7TBL 2017-03-29 teardown

OCXO: CTS 970-2178-46
GPS: u-blox NEO-7M-0-000
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:15:38 PM by 1Ghz »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
« Reply #388 on: July 21, 2017, 09:37:39 PM »
Nice

Offline K1FPV

• Contributor
« Reply #389 on: Yesterday at 07:29:51 AM »
Nope! Can't get any of the 3 terminal programs to work with it. I've already tried Termite 3.2, PUTTY as well as HyperTerminal. I'll just have to see if I can locate someone with HP/Symmetricom 58531A and use that program.

Offline texaspyro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #390 on: Yesterday at 09:32:13 AM »
Nope! Can't get any of the 3 terminal programs to work with it. I've already tried Termite 3.2, PUTTY as well as HyperTerminal. I'll just have to see if I can locate someone with HP/Symmetricom 58531A and use that program.

Somebody may have changed the default baud rate settings.  It can run at 1200, 2400, 9600, or 19200 baud.   even/odd/no parity,  7 or 8 data bits, 1 or 2 stop bits.  Also they had an option that changed the serial port from DTE or DCE mode.

I would try the various baud rate settings by sending the "*IDN?" command.  Try ending the command with a <CR>.  If no response, try with a <LF>.  If you get no response at that baud rate try with the different  data bit settings.   If parity is wrong, I think it sends an error code prompt.  If all that fails, try with a null modem cable.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf