Author Topic: BitScope Micro  (Read 20842 times)

Offline vvandersTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
BitScope Micro
« on: April 13, 2014, 05:17:08 pm »
Analog/Logic capture front-end(20Mhz) + Signal gen/AWG

http://www.bitscope.com/blog/201404/?p=ED10A
http://www.bitscope.com/product/BS05/

Not bad for $145 + Raspberry Pi

Offline SteveThing

Re: BitScope Micro
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 01:59:01 am »
I'm truly interested in this.  I have zero experience with an O-Scope and it looks like a fine "bit of kit" to learn on.  I already own a RPi.  My question is, for us newbies/hobbyists with limited resources, is this worth the time/money?

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 03:00:51 am »
I just did a quick skim of the specs and I didn't see these...

1) ADC resolution (8bit?)
2) DAC resolution

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 03:11:02 am »
Jack of all Trades, master of none. Keep that in mind...
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 04:07:59 am »
I have a few Bitscope products, all lurking in a drawer unused due to the non intuitive software.   :--

Why I bought new hardware versions after the fail of the previous one I'll never know.   :palm:

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 04:23:20 am »
They actually cover quite a bit on their designs, and they say that all their products are based on what is in here:
http://www.bitscope.com/design/

ADC (TI TLC5540):
http://my.bitscope.com/store/?p=view&i=product+ADC-02

Anyways, they do provide a ton of information and provide software for fee, including libraries that you can use to do your own stuff.

So for tinkerers I think it's cool what they offer.

Offline Deckert

• Regular Contributor
    • TechBench
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 01:58:40 am »
I'd be very interrested to see how this compares to the Digilent Analog Discovery:
https://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,842,1018&Prod=ANALOG-DISCOVERY

Price-wise it compares to both the Bitscope Micro and the Bitscope 10, except the Digilent device has a 100MSa/sec input on both analogue and digital channels. On the other hand, the BitScope software looks really slick (especially the digital protocol decode stuff).

I'm  not really interrested in the analogue 'scope part since I already have a bench 'scope, but the digital side entices me, as does the WFG (on both devices).

I know Dave has one of them Digilent Analogue Discoveries somewhere (did we see it in a mailbag?) - I wonder if we can coax a review out of him ;-)

--deckert

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 02:06:11 am »
I have a few Bitscope products, all lurking in a drawer unused due to the non intuitive software.   :--

Interesting factoid - Bitscope approached me back in probably the late 90's to write their software for them, after seeing my PC based scope software, but I turned them down.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 02:06:52 am »
I know Dave has one of them Digilent Analogue Discoveries somewhere (did we see it in a mailbag?) - I wonder if we can coax a review out of him ;-)

Sure, here it is:
It's not an oscilloscope.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 06:24:33 am »
I'd be very interrested to see how this compares to the Digilent Analog Discovery:
https://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,842,1018&Prod=ANALOG-DISCOVERY

Price-wise ...

The price policy is why I like to discourage people from buying Digilent.  I don't mind companies having a student discount, although not being a student since decades I wouldn't benefit from them. But it is a good idea. However, while not being affected I still mind that Digilent is restricting their real student discount to US students only. In my book that is full blown a-hole behavior at work. And I don't intent to grace such companies with my money.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 03:36:49 pm »
I used to have one of the Bitscopes (the original "pocket" version - single channel + 8bit logic analyzer), but I have sold it after getting a Rigol 1052E for about the same price.

The Bitscope was way too big pain in the backside to use - the software liked to hang randomly, often taking Windows down with it (in Linux it just crashed the app), it needed obscure libraries (Kylix? That was obsolete like 10 years before I got the device already ...), it was buggy and you needed a computer on the bench. Also the performance is what you pay for - the 20MHz is pretty much theoretical bandwidth (40MHz sampling), a real, usable one is maybe around 5MHz tops. The multichannel Bitscopes divide the sampling rate by the number of channels in use, so it gets even worse.

All in all, unless you absolutely need a pocket device for field use and can live with the limitations, your money is better spent elsewhere.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 03:38:48 pm by janoc »

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 03:47:06 pm »
I had a look at these a while ago. I was put off because they have no UK distibutor and also their core design doesn't seem to have been upgraded in a while. They keep bringing out new models but the specs seem unchanged. Decided on an Agilent scope and a Salae logic16 instead.

David.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline rlogiacco

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 10:29:18 pm »
Hi, I'm not sure if it would be better to resurrect this or start a new one, but I believe providing a little bit of ground for the discussion might help.
I'm interested into an USB oscilloscope knowing it will be a compromise, mostly because my workbench is in my living room and I will not have space for a benchtop oscilloscope. I once got a nice OWON portable oscilloscope leant to me by a friend and it looked great, but it's way too expensive and I don't really need the portability, just the compactness.
So I thought I can save on space and money by going for a USB scope and my actual choice is DPScope, but I'm considering alternatives mostly because of the software.
I thought a BitScope Micro might do, but I'm looking forward for you opinions...

Offline LEDAero

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 02:28:32 am »

Why I bought new hardware versions after the fail of the previous one I'll never know.   :palm:

I am GREAT with non-intuitive software. Fancy emptying your drawer for some beer tokens? (shipping from Oz to here is easy and cheap!).

I just want to get started with an entry-level scope/sig-gen/logic analyser. I mostly work with Arduino/R'Pi, so their Mini 05 seemed to fit the bill. If you have something like that (or better) I am genuinely interested. If you can't be arsed with international shipping, I have a mate in Melbourne that's sending me some stuff that would post on for me.

Let me know.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 11:00:18 pm »
I am GREAT with non-intuitive software. Fancy emptying your drawer for some beer tokens? (shipping from Oz to here is easy and cheap!).

I just want to get started with an entry-level scope/sig-gen/logic analyser. I mostly work with Arduino/R'Pi, so their Mini 05 seemed to fit the bill. If you have something like that (or better) I am genuinely interested. If you can't be arsed with international shipping, I have a mate in Melbourne that's sending me some stuff that would post on for me.

Let me know.

Honestly, get an $10 Saleae clone from eBay and an analog scope if you are on a budget - you will be MUCH better off than with any of these Bitscope gadgets.

The problem with the software is that it is not only non-intuitive, but it also locks up and crashes often, sometimes taking the whole machine down with it. The scope itself tends to lock up and behave in weird ways too, especially if the software has crashed before and left it in some odd state. Having to debug your instrument is likely the last thing you need when you are trying to debug your project.

I have got rid of my Bitscope, replaced it with a bench scope and I am not looking back.

Offline LEDAero

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 07:00:30 am »
Thanks, that was the advice I was given on another thread and have done exactly that. :)

Time to clear the workbench.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf