Author Topic: Blown Rigol RP3300A Probe  (Read 5399 times)

Offline simmivTopic starter

• Contributor
Blown Rigol RP3300A Probe
« on: May 07, 2016, 07:37:35 am »
I had the misfortune to blow one of the Rigol RP3300A passive probe. :palm: Thankfully the Rigol Oscilloscope is fine. :-+  I saw in another post that the resistance measurement from the tip of the probe to the cable in the housing (where the compensation adjustment cap is) should be 9 Mohm..   In my case it was open circuit!  I decided to take it apart with a small grinding wheel, to see what had happened inside the probe tip!

First the sheeting and the cable removed..  Note how the cable has a pin which is soldered to the coax wire and then it plugs into a female inside the metal probe..

The plastic taken off the probe tip..

The metal probe tip sliced apart.

On the left you can see where the pin from the coax cable attaches to a female to female connector..  The right one has a male on the left and at the right was the probe tip, which broke off..

You can see the resistors and capacitors through the transparent shielding of the probe tip..

The right most SMD (Resistor?) blown away..

The SMD has mostly disappeared!!  No wonder there was open circuit.. 
Now I have to get myself a new one..

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Blown Rigol RP3300A Probe
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 08:43:15 am »
I had the misfortune to blow one of the Rigol RP3300A passive probe.
You don't explain how.  :-//

Overvoltage?
Exceeding voltage/frequency derating curve?

Others can learn from your experience...... we hope you have.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 08:50:28 am »
I was poking around a switched mode power supply which seemed to be dead!..  I touched the probe tip on the input of the primary transformer.  It had about 330v DC on it, so game over!  I don't have a high voltage probe, so the lesson is to be more careful around switch mode power supplies..   

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 10:06:50 am »
I was poking around a switched mode power supply which seemed to be dead!..  I touched the probe tip on the input of the primary transformer.  It had about 330v DC on it, so game over!  I don't have a high voltage probe, so the lesson is to be more careful around switch mode power supplies..
1:1 probe setting ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 11:10:16 am »
I'm pretty sure it was 1:10 setting..  There was the dreaded sound when you know you did the wrong thing i.e. like a spark or a short.  It tripped my earth leakage fuse I have for my workbench. 
Simmi

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 01:28:58 pm »
even at 1:1, the probe and the scope should not be damaged. blowing probe with 330V is a miracle... what i suspect is, the OP shorted the smps circuit sending it to its self destruction, the probe is just another collateral damage.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline hooverphonique

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 03:10:23 pm »
Was going to use my second RP3300A today to measure RS485 differential. Probe seems to behave weirdly.. switching probes/channels around reveals the proble outputs nothing..

Now, measurering the resistance of the functioning probe gives open load at the probe end when not connected to oscilloscope, the seemingly dead one measures 9Mohm, which they both measure at the scope end. It seems it's shorted then (coax damaged?), or could this be the result of an overload?

Cheers!

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 03:45:07 pm »
Was going to use my second RP3300A today to measure RS485 differential. Probe seems to behave weirdly.. switching probes/channels around reveals the proble outputs nothing..

Now, measurering the resistance of the functioning probe gives open load at the probe end when not connected to oscilloscope, the seemingly dead one measures 9Mohm, which they both measure at the scope end. It seems it's shorted then (coax damaged?), or could this be the result of an overload?

Cheers!
Those probes are a piece of shit, Especially older ones. Disassemble the part with BNC connector and check if central conductor from the coax isn't touching the shell around it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 03:57:14 pm by wraper »

The following users thanked this post: hooverphonique

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 03:49:29 pm »
RP3300A is 1:10 only.
I'm pretty sure it was 1:10 setting..  There was the dreaded sound when you know you did the wrong thing i.e. like a spark or a short.  It tripped my earth leakage fuse I have for my workbench. 
Simmi
I guess you are talking about scope setting which does not matter as it is purely what numbers are shown on the screen.

Offline hooverphonique

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 05:43:21 pm »
Those probes are a piece of shit, Especially older ones. Disassemble the part with BNC connector and check if central conductor from the coax isn't touching the shell around it.

LOL! Took the tinny shell of the connector end and lo and behold, the center coax lead was so long it came into contact with the small torx screw that holds the pcb in place..

I was wondering.. Would the Testec TT-HF212 be a worthy cheapish replacement probe? (scope is hacked to 300MHz so may as well get probes with larger BW).

Cheers!

Offline mk_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 09:51:57 pm »

I was wondering.. Would the Testec TT-HF212 be a worthy cheapish replacement probe? (scope is hacked to 300MHz so may as well get probes with larger BW).

Testec is usuialy ok. But: take care for the voltage-derating at high frequency if you are usinge the probes not at low voltages only.

Michael

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf