Author Topic: BM235 error issue  (Read 4472 times)

Offline JSTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
BM235 error issue
« on: April 04, 2018, 01:08:12 pm »
Yesterday I had an issue, trying t meassure a VFD output voltage with the VFD mode I got an insertion error when I put the probes on the contacts (of the VFD) and the DMM blinked, got locked, all sort of errors... The insertion error didn't appear before, with the leads just on the meter and not the DUT, probes were installed correctly.

I do work in industry quite a lot and is not the first time I do this operation, but the first time I got this error. Even yeaterday I did the same test before the error with no problems.

Also, in the last few weeks I got the insertion error in some other occasions, like measuring continuity or low value DCV, I didn't payed much attention, it displayed the low batt so I thought it was due to that, swapped the batteries recently and now this.

Other than that, I have the meter for few years and it's great,  I'm very pleased with it and found it very useful... Already waiting for my 121GW!

JS

PS: All this was to ask for similar experiences or how to procede before writing Dave so I dont take his time to make more mailbags...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 01:10:49 pm by JS »
If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

Offline JSTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: BM235 error issue
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 01:37:36 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/bm235-iner-appears-randomly/msg952514/#msg952514

I just found this, relates but not the issue I had yesterday, where it wouldn't meassure at all.

JS

Offline JSTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 04:26:15 am »
Firmware Rev. D BTW, today I checked... anyone???

Thanks!

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 04:47:45 am »
What is the result when you conduct basic tests such as continuity or resistance ?, I remember a couple of people found that the probe tips on the supplied leads were not fixed very well into the handle area and had the potential to break altogether, perhaps you should try a different set of leads if you haven't already. Also, open the meter up and see if anything has come adrift or if there are any other signs or indicators such as in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM--cxT6X3k&feature=youtu.be&t=710

Offline JSTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 07:49:59 am »
I did have a problem with one lead where the tip spins, it was hard to unscrew the banana plug of it but after that no problems, I still use them with no problem, I thought on use some glue to fix them and avoid breaking the conductor but I don't know what glue would work there, sticking silicon and gold doesn't seem easy, I guess silicon is the best option but I haven't made it.

I do every other measurement without a problem, even the same measurement the same day was succesful at the other end of the wire (20m away, on the VFD), the problem I saw was at the motor end with the motor unplugged. Later I found that one of the wires was loose on the connector, but the DMM wouldn't meassure 0V, nominal voltage, over voltage or anything, I tried a few times, turned it off, tried Lo-Z and Hi-Z, it gave insertion error every time  :-//

I'll see the video later, I don't have audio on this thing right now.

JS

Offline TangLoz

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 12:44:59 am »
Same here. I have the "iner" with the annoying bipping when i plug probe in "mA/uA" or "A". The "InEr" and the bipping stop when i disconnect the probe. I got the same issue with all of my probes. The batteries are the original ones. It's weird because I haven't use the BM235 a lot. I there a way to fix it? Maybe a factory reset? Or maybe something else (bad fuse, bad connection etc). Because, right now, my BM235 multi-meter is as useful as a brick.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 12:47:19 am by TangLoz »

Offline TangLoz

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 02:34:19 am »
Here is the bug on video:

I'm a total n00b. I have more trust in the BM235 than in my electronic skills. 

Let me know if there is a way to fix it. :-+

Thanks!

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 04:52:09 am »
I'm a total n00b. I have more trust in the BM235 than in my electronic skills. 

Let me know if there is a way to fix it. :-+

Thanks!
Nothing to fix.  The meter is trying to save itself and or the device under test by warning you that you have set to measure voltage but the leads are in the current measurement inputs.  See page 29 of the manual.

The following users thanked this post: TangLoz

Offline TangLoz

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 02:00:49 pm »
Thanks Bicycleguy. I understood my mistake. I plugged the red jack in the wrong side of the multimeter. I wanted to test continuity and was confused by the "wifi" symbols on the left side of the multimeter. I thought the "wifi" symbol was for testing continuity only. I should have read the manual page 10.

So, my question is, what does the "wifi symblol /jack" means? There is no reference on this symbol (above the A/mA plug) in the manual.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 02:26:31 pm »
Yesterday I had an issue, trying t meassure a VFD output voltage with the VFD mode I got an insertion error when I put the probes on the contacts (of the VFD) and the DMM blinked, got locked, all sort of errors... The insertion error didn't appear before, with the leads just on the meter and not the DUT, probes were installed correctly.

I do work in industry quite a lot and is not the first time I do this operation, but the first time I got this error. Even yeaterday I did the same test before the error with no problems.

Also, in the last few weeks I got the insertion error in some other occasions, like measuring continuity or low value DCV, I didn't payed much attention, it displayed the low batt so I thought it was due to that, swapped the batteries recently and now this.

Other than that, I have the meter for few years and it's great,  I'm very pleased with it and found it very useful... Already waiting for my 121GW!

JS

PS: All this was to ask for similar experiences or how to procede before writing Dave so I dont take his time to make more mailbags...

It could be noise.  Have a look..

https://youtu.be/q_89qoFMivg?t=3414

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 05:13:06 pm »
So, my question is, what does the "wifi symblol /jack" means? There is no reference on this symbol (above the A/mA plug) in the manual.

If you mean these - they aren't WiFi symbols ... they indicate an Audible Warning on the jack below.  It's to warn you if you have your meter leads in a current jack (socket) for a non-current measurement.

The following users thanked this post: TangLoz

Offline JSTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 06:03:53 am »
No one on my problem? While I didn't have again I'm warried it will, as it did in a bad time, working on the clock it wouldn't meassure.

In my case probes weren't instaled on the current inputs or it would blown the fuse, as I was connecting to a high power source. In that place it should shout at you and slap you in the face before you probe anything... not in mine  |O

JS

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 07:10:25 am »
There was an issue with some of the earlier released BM-235 meters where the L3 inductor was prone to lateral force and possible dislodgement due to interference from one of the case mating posts, you might want to check that the L3 inductor is intact and not just making intermittent contact with its solder pads as shown in the video linked below.

EEVblog #884 BM-235 Repair.

Offline JSTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 01:10:26 am »
There was an issue with some of the earlier released BM-235 meters where the L3 inductor was prone to lateral force and possible dislodgement due to interference from one of the case mating posts, you might want to check that the L3 inductor is intact and not just making intermittent contact with its solder pads as shown in the video linked below.

EEVblog #884 BM-235 Repair.

I've seen it, not the problem I had, I don't think it's related as it showed inErr while mesauring voltage with the probes in the right places, more likely to be the probe detection acting up. It didn't happened again but I haven't measured the kind of signals I was measuring at the time (VFD output), funny as it has VFD dedicated function.

JS

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf