Author Topic: Updating Scope Firmware Using A Mac?  (Read 3816 times)

Offline tony3dTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Updating Scope Firmware Using A Mac?
« on: July 10, 2016, 11:35:12 am »
Has anyone here tried updating an Owon Scope's firmware using a Mac running Windows? I have Windows 10 running natively using boot camp on my MacPro desktop, and would like to  update the firmware of my Owon SDS7102 scope. I know almost nothing about Windows, and I'm concerned I may brick the scope if this goes south. I know the Owon software installs a USB DRIVER, and since this is running on a Mac, I'm wondering if this will simply not see the scope, or possibly see the scope, but fail to properly update it, and brick it? Any input would be helpful! Thanks. So far any software I have installed ( mainly games), seem to run fine. Really want to update the scope for improved refresh rate, and the new cut wave feature. Just ordered an Owon AG 1022F waveform generator!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 11:47:58 am by tony3d »

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
Re: Updating Scope Firmware Using A Mac?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 11:41:20 am »
A Mac running Windows on Bootcamp is just like any other PC, no problem.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 11:44:18 am »
A Mac running Windows on Bootcamp is just like any other PC, no problem.

That's what I was hoping, but I know zip about Windows. When I download the Owon updated, will that software install the USB DRIVERS needed for the update?

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 11:58:31 am »
I don't know Owon stuff, but yeah either that would come bundled or they'd have a separate download for the drivers on their website.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 12:31:18 pm »
if you install bootcamp (and the drivers Apple recommends you to download before installing bootcamp using bootcamp assistant)
then you have the same as a real pc  - so follow the pc instructions it will behave exaclty the same as on a real windows pc
verify that owon certifies his softwares to run on windows 10 before, that could be an issue but the same as a real pc with windows 10 !

The following users thanked this post: tony3d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 03:15:51 pm »
Ok, I ran the setup application in the Owon folder, and the program did do an installation (USB DRIVER) I guess, the install app did run, and asked me to start the machine connect the USB cable, and confirm that the USB Driver has been installed. How do I confirm this? Will my scope show up in the programs window? If the drivers didn't install will I see nothing? Just know nothing about Windows! Driving completely in the dark LOL!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 03:19:04 pm by tony3d »

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 07:27:24 pm »
Just click start and you'll see soon enough if it works or not...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 07:32:21 pm »

Just want to make sure I don't brick my scope!

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 07:40:56 pm »
If the driver wasn't installed the app wouldn't be able to communicate, so it couldn't brick the scope...

If you really want go see in the device manager and see if you find your scope somewhere.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 08:01:42 pm »

Just want to make sure I don't brick my scope!

To check if the driver is installed right click "Start" and click " Device Manager" (see attachment #1). If the scope is connected to a USB port and turned ON you should see "libusb-win32 devices", if you open the tree branch you should see "usb device" just below it as shown on attachment #2.

If that's not there try to install the USB driver manually, the link below will take you to the download page:

http://www.owon.com.hk/service_down.asp?SortID_1=1&SortID_2=10

When you extract the RAR you'll find the driver and a PDF with step by step instructions. Once you complete the install you can check as outlined above to see if the driver was installed. In fact, that check is included in the PDF instructions.

Once the driver is installed, if you want an extra level of confidence that USB communications are working properly you can install the PC software for waveform analysis and see if it works. This is not as risky as the Firmware Patch since it's not designed to flash the firmware. However, it can help you verify that you are able to communicate via the USB port with the scope. The link below will take you to the download page:

http://www.owon.com.hk/service_down.asp?SortID_1=1&SortID_2=10&seek=&curpage=2

IF that works correctly, and I was in your shoes, I would be much less concerned that bad USB communications could potentially brick my scope.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 08:28:08 pm »
Thanks everyone. I'm going to give this a try tomorrow. If this does brick my scope, I'm wondering if Saileg (the dealer I bought it from), can fix it?

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 09:00:07 pm »
Just for future reference, if you don't want to go through the whole rigmarole and wasted space of installing Windows, you can use VMware to update the firmware on your gear.

VMware Fusion has top class USB passthrough support and works in 99.9% of all cases. There's even a free trial available! :)

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

The following users thanked this post: tony3d

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 03:12:30 am »
Performing the Owon SDS7102 Firmware Upgrade
--------------------------------------------

The attachments on this post came straight from the Owon Firmware upgrade installation instructions. The only thing I'm adding is some Chinglish translation to try to help explain what's meant and some comments on what's going on as I understand it.

Attachment #1 - Here you are asked to turn on the scope and connect it via USB cable to the PC. If the USB driver has been previously installed you could confirm it's status at this point by opening "Device Manager" (see my previous post). If that's not the case skip checking the driver and allow the installation software to try to install it automatically.

Next you need to launch the "Patch" software that was installed by the SDS_UpgradeX.X_Setup.exe extracted from the RAR file. This should yield the screen that you see on this attachment. I'm not sure at what point the software attempts to install the USB driver automatically, but I believe that either it has already been done at this point or it gets done when you click "Start".

OK, there is nothing else you can do at this screen, either click "Start" or wait for another rainy day to do it!

Attachment #2 - This screen should appear shortly after you click "Start". Note that the screen contains two text areas, the upper one has a single line and is used to tell the user what to do next (prompts). The lower one is a multiple text line scroll area that displays events as well as previous and current prompts. At this point the lower area should display the serial number of your scope. That means that the installation software was able to communicate via USB with the scope and retrieve the serial number from its memory. I'm not sure what happens if the USB driver isn't working, but I'm pretty certain that you won't see your scope's serial number!

OK, at this point the installation software is waiting for you to reboot the scope, that means to turn it OFF and then back ON. If you don't do this in a timely manner the installation software will timeout and give you an error. Otherwise it will detect the reboot and at some point it will enter the "USB download model". Don't get too impatient, if everything goes well you should see the screen of attachment #3.

Attachment #3 - This is just an information screen showing the upgrade process. The display will continue to update until you reach the end of the upgrade. At that point you should see the screen of  Attachment #4.

Attachment #4 - Here the prompt text area indicates that the Firmware Upgrade has completed (patching is done), and that the installation software is attempting to reboot the scope. If for some reason the scope fails to reboot automatically at this point, the user should turn it OFF and then back ON.

Attachment #5 - After the scope finishes rebooting (or after the user turns it OFF and ON), the normal scope screen shown here is displayed. Only problem is that all the labels are in Chinese, but never fear, if you know what buttons to push the English labels will again magically appear!

Start out by pressing the "Utility" key, that will yield the screen of attachment #6.

Attachment #6 - Here we need to press H2, that's the key below the light blue label on the bottom. Pressing this key will cause the language selection list on the left of the screen to pop-up. Now use the Multipurpose knob to move the highlight from Chinese to English (or to the language you prefer) as illustrated on attachment #7.

Attachment #7 - That's it, you can read the labels again and your scope's firmware has been upgraded. If you want to see the new firmware version press H5 (About).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:40:07 am by TomC »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 04:22:45 pm »
Just for the heck of it I plugged in my scope using the Data USB Socket, and this is what the device manager said while running the Owon Application before I press start. Of course I never did press start because this may not be communicating properly. It see's the scope, but not sure driver is properly installed.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 05:23:02 pm »
Just for the heck of it I plugged in my scope using the Data USB Socket, and this is what the device manager said while running the Owon Application before I press start. Of course I never did press start because this may not be communicating properly. It see's the scope, but not sure driver is properly installed.

Just try it already! If the driver *isn't* installed right, the upgrade wouldn't work anyway! You're not going to brick your scope this way.

But you won't know if it works or not if you don't try. *Palm*
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 09:20:01 pm »
Ok, did it, and it works perfectly. Had a difficult time manually installing the drivers because the actually go in the bootcamp folder that Apple installs. Works great! Thanks for all the help. Now I have cut wave to when my new Owon generator comes that will be a nice feature to have!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf