Author Topic: Brand new BM869s or used Fluke 287?  (Read 28105 times)

Offline WaveyDipoleTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Brand new BM869s or used Fluke 287?
« on: July 22, 2017, 07:10:02 pm »
Im considering the purchase of a good calibre DMM. Its primarily for hobby use, but also the occasional repair. I thought I would get myself one high spec meter as a retirement present. My budget is around 220GBP and for a little over that I can get a brand new Brymen 297s BM869s with 500000 count in high res mode, or a used Fluke 287 with 50000 count. Both have logging functions but the Fluke cable and software costs as much as a used meter but one can DIY one for the Brymen and use sigrok. Obviously the high res mode of the BM297s BM869s is overkill for hobby use. Fluke has the brand reputation, but the Brymen has better specs. I can't make my mind up!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:30:51 pm by WaveyDipole »

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Brand new BM297s or used Fluke 287?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 07:16:47 pm »
Well, they are quite different meters, so you should be able to choose based on what things you want to use it for.

IIRC the Fluke 287 has internal logging memory and a graph display to view the results. So that would be useful if you want to leave the meter unattended in some place to record events like brownouts or voltage spikes. The Brymen doesn't have internal logging, only a PC interface option.

On the other hand the Fluke has a soft button menu driven interface that can slow down simple measuring jobs. It also has a fairly low contrast LCD. The Brymen has a clean, traditional interface, with the bonus that it remembers your last settings on switch off, so it always switches back on with the same range selections in place. For everyday use this makes the Brymen a winner.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:54:55 pm by IanB »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 07:19:29 pm »
I can get a brand new Brymen 297s with 500000 count in high res mode,
My search skills fails to find such a model for Brymen? 297s?

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 07:21:43 pm »
I can get a brand new Brymen 297s with 500000 count in high res mode,
My search skills fails to find such a model for Brymen? 297s?

Probably the 867s?

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Brand new BM869s or used Fluke 287?
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 07:25:30 pm »
Sorry, yes meant the 869s or perhaps optionally the 867s. Have corrected the opening post.

Ian you make an interesting and unexpected argument in favour of the Brymen. Usability is important and I'm surprised regarding what you say about both the screen and slowing down the workflow. The Brymen remembering the last option used seems like a nice touch. Of course it is still unproven as to how well it keeps calibration, whereas Flukes are legendary in that respect.

BTW, I would also consider a Fluke 289 if the price was right although the Brymen does seem compelling.  Do these Flukes have a backlight, and if so, does it provide good illumination?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:48:04 pm by WaveyDipole »

Offline Mark Hennessy

• Frequent Contributor
    • My electronics and audio website
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 08:46:48 pm »
Knowing that you're not a million miles from me, you'd be welcome to pop in and play with my Fluke 287.

Yes, there's a backlight. I don't find the user interface all that bad, although I can sympathise with those who do. I find the older 187/9 slightly harder to drive when you need to get to some of the less-used functions, but either is fine. The viewing angle and contrast of the dot-matrix display of the 287/9 isn't as good as the simpler LCDs.

These things eat batteries, especially if you use the backlight.

I can't comment on the Brymen as my experience of that brand is limited to the BM235, but if that's indicative of the brand, that's encouraging :-+

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 08:57:44 pm »
Also, the 297/289 is big. It's like a giant brick. Granted the Brymen 869 is not exactly compact, but my first impression of the 289 whenever I have picked one up is of the size.

Another thing about the Fluke 289 is the start up time. It is not "instant on", it takes a second or two to run through the startup sequence and be ready to use.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:05:21 pm by IanB »

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 09:42:13 pm »
Some time back I made a video showing the UT181A which is basically a knockoff of the Fluke 289 but with IMO a slightly better UI, faster graphing, faster boot times, rechargeable battery and color.   During the video, I make comparisons with the real Fluke 289 and the Brymen BM869s. 

Personally, for home hobby use I still like the Brymen over anything I have looked at.  I've been playing about with a Fluke 189 which is similar to the Fluke 87IV (not to be confused with what I am told is Fluke's gold standard, the 87V).   If Fluke was making the 189 with current cert, I would own a brand new one.  It's just a good general purpose meter IMO.   

The following users thanked this post: mikeys, Marco1971

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 11:00:21 pm »
Also, the 297/289 is big. It's like a giant brick. Granted the Brymen 869 is not exactly compact, but my first impression of the 289 whenever I have picked one up is of the size.

Another thing about the Fluke 289 is the start up time. It is not "instant on", it takes a second or two to run through the startup sequence and be ready to use.

L-R, EEVBLOG 121GW, BRYMEN BM869s, FLUKE 189, GOSSEN ULTRA, UNI-T UT181A

The 121GW is one of the smaller form factors of the meters I have that support AC+DC.  The one I have is actually pretty nice for a pre-production unit.  You mentioned not having a need for the Brymen's higher res.  Maybe you would have some use for some of the 121GW's features depending on your time frame.     

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 11:42:49 pm »
I still don't understand why the Keysight meters seem to get constantly overlooked in these types of threads, both the U1272A and U1282A are fully featured and capable meters with free software and a free IR/ USB interface with the U1280 series, not to mention great support and a decent warranty. I own and use the Flukes, the Keysights, a Brymen and a host of other meters, the Keysights are certainly worthy of consideration in my book.

The following users thanked this post: Wil_Bloodworth

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 02:09:16 am »
*SNIP

I thought I would get myself one high spec meter as a retirement present.

*SNIP*

brand new Brymen BM869s *SNIP*, or a used Fluke 287

Your retirement present should be new.

;)

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 02:23:28 am »
A bunch of people (myself included) have bought the Agilent U1252B from eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Agilent-U1252b-Digital-Multimeter-/292173362048?hash=item4406e3b380:g:160AAOSwfRdZFQ-X

These are new old stock and will need a new rechargeable battery but it's a really nice meter for the price.  There's a thread on it here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/bunch-of-keysight-u1252b-meters-around/
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 04:26:16 am »
Own 287 and developed loves and hates for it, but the strongest point regarding Fluke 28x series is the powerful logging and viewing the chart at the meter, no more hassle viewing it or downloading it to your laptop/pc for viewing. This alone for me is one of the killer feature.

Examples at the logging feature that the chart can be viewed on the meter :

- Used with thermal probe to verify if a newly installed air condition is working properly for a straight 8 hours, I just left the meter in the room overnight, and view it on the spot by tomorrow. Example charts of 8 hours log and it can be zoomed down to seconds -> (Fluke 287 screen on the recorded temperature chart for 8 hours) (Warning, big photo). Imagine you're doing a project at the field, you only need to bring one meter instead of extra computer just to view the chart.

- Another example, the capacitor leakage chart, use 287 in voltage mode and series with the capacitor under test to measure it's leakage current, and you can see the forming result for about 1.5 hours from a NOS polymer cap OSCON at it's rated voltage, at the chart reading, Y axis -> 1 volt equivalent to -> Volt / (10M Ohm DMM internal resistance) -> 0.1uA. Here the logging chart of the  Capacitor leakage logged by 287

Also another consideration is it's voltage reference, it looks like its very stable (read: not drifted) for many-many years, don't know how good the BM869's voltage reference when aged.

To me, the Fluke 28x logging feature is like a hand held low speed but with a very high resolution "oscilloscope".  :-+

If you can get an used 28x cheap, suggesting you grab it if the logging feature fits your need.

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 01:55:16 pm »
Some time back I made a video showing the UT181A which is basically a knockoff of the Fluke 289 but with IMO a slightly better UI, faster graphing, faster boot times, rechargeable battery and color.   During the video, I make comparisons with the real Fluke 289 and the Brymen BM869s. 

Personally, for home hobby use I still like the Brymen over anything I have looked at.  I've been playing about with a Fluke 189 which is similar to the Fluke 87IV (not to be confused with what I am told is Fluke's gold standard, the 87V).   If Fluke was making the 189 with current cert, I would own a brand new one.  It's just a good general purpose meter IMO.   

Thanks for that video. It is very helpful to compare all these meters side by side and gives a good idea of the display clarity as well as meter functions. The Fluke 289 also seemed the least accurate of the bunch and the logging on it seemed frustratingly slow no matter how 'powerful' it might be. I thought that the Uni-T UT181 was looking great until it got zapped at the end of the video! What an anticlimax. I guess the protection is not up to scratch after all, but could they be replaced/upgraded with something better? I won’t be using my meter in an industrial environment, but equipment with valves and CRTs can still have pretty high voltages. I see that some of the Uni-T meters have ended up on the ‘Meters that don’t meet their specs’ thread although this, for the present, does not seem to be one of them. Still I would like one that is robust and safe.

The 121GW is one of the smaller form factors of the meters I have that support AC+DC.  The one I have is actually pretty nice for a pre-production unit.  You mentioned not having a need for the Brymen's higher res.  Maybe you would have some use for some of the 121GW's features depending on your time frame.   

You mention the one you have is pre-production so maybe that explains why I can’t find any information on the 121GW. Obviously if it is not available, then its out of the running for now, however, I would be interested in knowing the full specs and when it is likely to be available?

I still don't understand why the Keysight meters seem to get constantly overlooked in these types of threads, both the U1272A and U1282A are fully featured and capable meters with free software and a free IR/ USB interface with the U1280 series, not to mention great support and a decent warranty. I own and use the Flukes, the Keysights, a Brymen and a host of other meters, the Keysights are certainly worthy of consideration in my book.

A bunch of people (myself included) have bought the Agilent U1252B from eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Agilent-U1252b-Digital-Multimeter-/292173362048?hash=item4406e3b380:g:160AAOSwfRdZFQ-X

These are new old stock and will need a new rechargeable battery but it's a really nice meter for the price.  There's a thread on it here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/bunch-of-keysight-u1252b-meters-around/

I haven't come across these before. I did a bit of digging and the spec seems decent but there do seem to be some downsides though. I had a look at the links as well as the eBay listing. As it is a USA seller, hefty shipping costs and tax will need to be factored in, it would still not be that far off the budget I have. However, having had a read of that thread, it would seem that there is some question over the legitimacy of the seller although that seems to be countered by the number of sales etc etc. I do not like the look of that orange screen - it does not seem to have a particularly good contrast? They also apparently run off (and seem to eat through) NiMH batteries so either they pre-date Lithium or it was just a poor choice by Agilent. Either way this would be a good reason not to consider it. Perhaps if it ran off rechargeable lithium batteries then I might have done.

*SNIP

*SNIP*

brand new Brymen BM869s *SNIP*, or a used Fluke 287

Your retirement present should be new.

;)

Agreed, an that would be preferred. But I am prepared to get a used item in good clean condition if it gets me something better that will last. I had a closer look at the enlarged photos of the two Fluke 287s I had seen and it looks like the screen one one has a crack. The other (which has now gone) looked quite dirty so I might have to re-think that avenue and look at the Brymen. Still I will keep an eye out. Somethine else might still crop up.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:04:48 pm by WaveyDipole »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 03:25:34 pm »
People who want logging in a meter should also consider the Brymen BM525S. I has all the features and safety of the BM969S, but has only a 10,000/6,000 count display and lower accuracy. But, it has internal logging of up to 87,000 counts in single measurement mode and up to 43,000 counts in dual measurement mode. It will also log up to 20 times per second.

Of course reading 87,000 records back without graphing is a bit tedious, so you would need a USB cable.

IMHO, the BM525S is the smart buy for most hobbyists than the BM869S, UNLESS you really need the higher counts and accuracy which I argue most people don't need. Being able to log (and two measurements at the same time too) is much more useful and at a lower price. The one thing I don't like about the BM525S is that the logging has not time stamp as there is no RTC in the meter. You need to make note of the start time when making a log.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 04:38:11 pm »

Thanks for that video. It is very helpful to compare all these meters side by side and gives a good idea of the display clarity as well as meter functions. The Fluke 289 also seemed the least accurate of the bunch and the logging on it seemed frustratingly slow no matter how 'powerful' it might be. I thought that the Uni-T UT181 was looking great until it got zapped at the end of the video! What an anticlimax. I guess the protection is not up to scratch after all, but could they be replaced/upgraded with something better? I won’t be using my meter in an industrial environment, but equipment with valves and CRTs can still have pretty high voltages. I see that some of the Uni-T meters have ended up on the ‘Meters that don’t meet their specs’ thread although this, for the present, does not seem to be one of them. Still I would like one that is robust and safe.

IMO the 181A is the best meter for electronic work that UNI-T has produced so far.  There was a part 2 to that video where I repaired it then proceeded to chop the circuit board up in an attempt to improve the meter's robustness.  Not something I would ever suggest doing.  The following summarizes my thoughts.

Thanks for the comments.   Just in case the UNI-T group ever visits,  if there is a rev B of this meter a few things I would like to see are:

Certify to EMC standard 61326.
Adapters for the European charger.
Offer a spare battery as an accessory.
Store the current settings on power down or function change (like the BM869s).
Better material for LCD cover (prone to scratching). 
When logging data with Windows, download the battery life.
Open source the interface or at least provide a communications library for it.

I am not sure how well this thing would  survive a drop test.  Maybe offer a slip on rubber sleeve as an accessory.

All in all, I really like the meter for hobby work but I would not recommend it with it being as susceptible as it is to static.

You mention the one you have is pre-production so maybe that explains why I can’t find any information on the 121GW. Obviously if it is not available, then its out of the running for now, however, I would be interested in knowing the full specs and when it is likely to be available?

I think there are many of us with the same questions.   I have created a series of videos for it but I have no insider info on release dates or final specs.     

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZSS2ajxhiQAM1JQ3KrSWMEW16HXQEyhy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 09:13:56 pm »
IMO the 181A is the best meter for electronic work that UNI-T has produced so far.  There was a part 2 to that video where I repaired it then proceeded to chop the circuit board up in an attempt to improve the meter's robustness.  Not something I would ever suggest doing.  The following summarizes my thoughts.

I have just looked at part two. Interesting how you go it going again and it passed all of the tests once your mod had been applied. Shows that it is possible to design them properly.

I think there are many of us with the same questions.   I have created a series of videos for it but I have no insider info on release dates or final specs.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZSS2ajxhiQAM1JQ3KrSWMEW16HXQEyhy

Thanks for the pointer to the videos. i will have a look at them and then come back.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:15:31 pm by WaveyDipole »

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 10:49:41 pm »
I responded to your PM.

Rather than ask me how to go about modifying the UT181A to make it more robust, I suggest that you contact UNI-T.  The designed the meter.  Tell them you are interested in the product but you are concerned with it's lack of robustness.  Maybe they will come out with an improved version.  I would like to see it myself.    Asking me will achieve nothing.   

For what it is worth, if this really is the criteria and part of high spec to you means robust, get a meter that meets this goal by design.  Don't EVERY consider modifying a handheld meter that you plan to use.   Meter's I have modified are purely for educational / entertainment only. 

If you want to learn more about how I would tackle a problem like this, I suggest watching the videos on the UT61E where I walk you through the steps I took.   Even with these videos, it was never my intent to provide detailed information on exact values I chose as to allow an uneducated person to attempt these mods but rather my attempt to try and help a small group of people understand that simply adding MOVs to the UT61E may not improve the meters ability to withstand an ESD event.   

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 11:38:36 pm »
The Fluke 289 has just about any and every feature of most Fluke meters all rolled into one, and then some  :clap:

The exclusive to Fluke? positive and negative centered DC bargraph is a handy feature for me,
the onboard 'in house' logging / save / playback feature saves on messing about with other logging routines,
especially when troubleshooting intermittent problems on a job,
and the simultaneous MIN-MAX-AVERAGE display is a realtime no brainer

If you can get a new/used 289 with the latest firmware, no severe internal supercapacitor leakage issue,
and prepared to work through all the menus and learn the ropes (childs play) taking notes along the way
the 289 is hard to beat, and the few seconds of ON boot time really isn't the deal breaker some whine on about    :palm:

The backlight and variable contrast works well, and if battery life is an issue, use rechargeables
or switch the thing off when not in use ! Duh...  ::)

The Fluke 189 is very nice too, loads of features, EASY to use, like a Fluke 87 on steroids

The Brymen may be good value with impressive CAT ratings that might protect the meter during a BBQ starter zap test,
accidental carpet surf across a lounge room or quickly removing a garment,
direct lightning strike if forgotten on top of the Jeep whilst Thor is sorting out some super villain,
(-add your own highly unlikely event here-)
but the 289 is the real deal all purpose all rounder SERIOUS feature packed meter
with the LEAST quirks and bugs I am aware of, compared to the competition.

The gent here gives it a 2 Part no BS review:   :-+

youtube.com/watch?v=nfnDVuTkkiE

youtube.com/watch?v=sRe7rf98roI

Good luck with the coin toss if it comes to that    ;D 

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 11:42:40 pm »
I have both the Fluke and the Brymen.

For daily use I almost always reach for the Brymen. The batteries last longer and it turns on much faster.

I really only use the fluke for logging and for when I need extra meters.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 07:30:32 am »
We are getting of the topic...

OP asked new BM869S or used Fluke 289... Budget 200-250 €

I cannot say what he should do.
I can say I personally don't buy used measurement equipment if I don't plan to send it to factory for repair and calibration..
Used Fluke is not Fluke. It is potentially dangerous, out of calibration crap until proven otherwise. Proven is the word here.
If I had money I would buy new Fluke 289. Used, not really, unless I personally knew owner and knew that it practically wasn't used. Otherwise, I would calculate price for it was purchase price + repair + calibration in Fluke facility.
What is the purpose of Porsche with a shut engine ? So your can brag you have one.. NO thanks.
What is the purpose of buying allegedly 0,025% instrument for a lot of money (it is expensive because it is allegedly that good) if some idiot measured around microwave transformers and it is now all kinds of damaged inside.. But looks real nice...

Fluke meter (or any other premium goods to that matter) is not a magical object that can not fail and is perfect by definition..
It is a fine instrument made by company that has best reputation in industry that instruments they make are good quality, and well made and calibrated when they LEAVE the factory. Broken Fluke equipment is, well, electronics waste, like everything else...
If you can get one for like 20$ or 50$ it's fine, you risk it, and even if you send it to Fluke for repair, you're good...

Also, said Brymen is a "SERIOUS feature packed meter".. I personally like it better that Fluke 87V .
And the fact that i had enough leftover money to buy an entry level oscilloscope was a bonus...

What I want to say is that we came to the point where there are options to expensive first tier manufacturers.. 
Also, if you want premium, there are Keysight, Gossen and such that have some really interesting stuff..
Options exist, and it's not so black and white anymore.. Brymen is one of them that is professional, safe, high quality and has a very good price..

Unless you need graphical logging on the instrument, you don't need 289. And if you do, there are 70-100MHz 1GSa/s 2 channel handheld oscilloscopes to be had for the price of new 289...  Think about that ...

But if you have a budget, and would like to buy Fluke, then by all means, You won't be sorry.

Best regards,

Sinisa

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 09:41:38 am »

I haven't come across these before. I did a bit of digging and the spec seems decent but there do seem to be some downsides though. I had a look at the links as well as the eBay listing. As it is a USA seller, hefty shipping costs and tax will need to be factored in, it would still not be that far off the budget I have. However, having had a read of that thread, it would seem that there is some question over the legitimacy of the seller although that seems to be countered by the number of sales etc etc. I do not like the look of that orange screen - it does not seem to have a particularly good contrast? They also apparently run off (and seem to eat through) NiMH batteries so either they pre-date Lithium or it was just a poor choice by Agilent. Either way this would be a good reason not to consider it. Perhaps if it ran off rechargeable lithium batteries then I might have done.
The seller is legit although he sometimes takes a week to ship.  While these are new-old-stock, they come in the original packaging with all the accessories including charger and rechargeable NiMh battery.  My battery seemed OK but I replaced it with a $13 Powerex MHR84VP low self-discharge 8.4 V battery and I can leave it on the bench for months and then it works fine.  The contrast is perfect, the pictures that show the meter often show the OLED version which does look weird but the U1252B is the (cheaper) LCD version so the orange color is just the backlight (I've added a couple of pictures for you) and you can log 200 points to the meter or infinite to a PC via an optional cable or even Bluetooth link (which I own).
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 09:52:47 am »
....I personally don't buy used measurement equipment if I don't plan to send it to factory for repair and calibration..
Used Fluke is not Fluke. It is potentially dangerous, out of calibration crap until proven otherwise. Proven is the word here.
If I had money I would buy new Fluke 289. Used, not really, unless I personally knew owner and knew that it practically wasn't used. Otherwise, I would calculate price for it was purchase price + repair + calibration in Fluke facility.

Also, said Brymen is a "SERIOUS feature packed meter".. I personally like it better that Fluke 87V .
And the fact that i had enough leftover money to buy an entry level oscilloscope was a bonus...

But if you have a budget, and would like to buy Fluke, then by all means, You won't be sorry.

Good points mate   :-+

The poster is considering the purchase of "one high spec meter as a retirement present"

A calibration cert hasn't been mentioned, high spec has. Why buy new, when a used one will do the same job?

I doubt the gent will come across a used 289 that has drifted much, if at all

Besides buying new, I have gambled on a few beaten up Flukes in the past, including a 289, and after clean up and thorough check, they are all in spec   

If he gets one from a seller that backs his items, or from someone getting out of the trade,
or a user over their head/skill set with such a 'fully featured' meter,
I'd say he's good to go

FWIW, where will OP take his Brymen meter to get fixed or get parts if/when it goes belly up?
Where will he take/send it to get calibrated?

With a high end Fluke with quite a few years of support left, it's not an issue

My 6.2  \$\Omega\$

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:55:18 am by Electro Detective »

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 10:21:41 am »
Good points mate   :-+
All you said are also good points..

The poster is considering the purchase of "one high spec meter as a retirement present"
If it's a treat or a present higher value gift is definitely better.. As I said he won't be sorry...

A calibration cert hasn't been mentioned, high spec has. Why buy new, when a used one will do the same job?
I doubt the gent will come across a used 289 that has drifted much, if at all
Correct, he didn't mention it, because everybody seems to think that Fluke meters cannot go out of spec somehow.
Used one must be thoroughly checked if it is in spec. On a 0.025% meter it is a challenge, equipment and proper procedure wise..
If you have the knowledge and other high end equipment to do calibration yourself, than it's OK not send it to Fluke.
A friend of mine is in charge of instrument repair and calibration in local petrol refinery... Go ask him, they pretty much run Fluke shop.. They get damaged and out of spec all the time. Not because Fluke is crap, it is fantastic, but people do horrible things to them..
Besides buying new, I have gambled on a few beaten up Flukes in the past, including a 289, and after clean up and thorough check, they are all in spec   
I'm glad it worked out well  for you.
If he gets one from a seller that backs his items, or from someone getting out of the trade,
or a user over their head/skill set with such a 'fully featured' meter,
I'd say he's good to go
I'd say he should be cautious, because he might get lucky like you, or maybe not.
And yes if he can return it it's better.
FWIW, where will OP take his Brymen meter to get fixed or get parts if/when it goes belly up?
Where will he take/send it to get calibrated?

With a high end Fluke with quite a few years of support left, it's not an issue

Here you are correct. That's why I said Brymen is only example. By chance, Brymen has good presence in EU lately, and service support.
In USA or Australia I understand it is not so. And I would say that I would probably not buy it there.. But since here I have good support not a problem. On the other hand, if I had to pay for repair on a major damage, it would probably be cheaper to buy new Brymen than repair high end Fluke...

Nice talking to you...

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Mark Hennessy

• Frequent Contributor
    • My electronics and audio website
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 11:11:26 am »
If you can get a new/used 289 with the latest firmware,

It's worth saying that if you have the PC software+USB cable (or know someone who does), you can update the firmware on a 287/289 yourself.

The Fluke 189 is very nice too, loads of features, EASY to use, like a Fluke 87 on steroids

Of all my Flukes, the 189 is the only one I bought new, back in 2004 IIRC. I'd wanted my own Fluke for years, and decided to treat myself before all my funds were eaten up by an impending house move and other significant life events. A lovely meter, but it was a rude introduction to Fluke's meanness - I was astonished that the necessary software and cable didn't come by default with a logging multimeter :palm: Last time I looked, it was around £200 - I got mine as unopened NOS for £100 from eBay.

I use an 87V most of the time. Quite apart from battery life, it's rare the extra precision of the 189 or 287 is required (and when it is, I have bench multimeters that are better than my hand-helds). But as bench space is always at a premium, I'm just as likely to use a cheap Aneng AN8002 or the 9999-count AN8008 these days :) For many situations, one of each of the Aneng models plus a £40 Fluke 101 (for when safety is important) might be all we need. If logging is a definite requirement, then the 22,000-count UT61E looks interesting at the price, especially if it's for low-energy bench work. I must get around to picking one up...

In short, a collection of smaller, cheaper meters might be better than one expensive meter. Especially as it's common to need to measure 2 or 3 different things at the same time. At least, I often felt that way after blowing all that cash on the 189 back then. But then, it is nice to have an occasional treat :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf