Author Topic: Brand new BM869s or used Fluke 287?  (Read 28325 times)

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
Re: Brand new BM869s or used Fluke 287?
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2017, 04:35:13 pm »
Anyone know whether kesight/Agilent have fixed the EMC issue? 
Yes, they did a software fix which just turn on the filter permenantly. I beleive Dave did a follow up vlog.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2017, 04:40:55 pm »
Yes, I'd echo the comment that, for continuity, there is no issue on my U1252B, I think they were complaining about it not being fast enough - I specifically tested this when I got the meter and considered it perfectly OK.  Likewise, I charge the battery once every blue moon and only because I think I should, it's never run out on me.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline WaveyDipoleTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2017, 04:56:29 pm »
Gandalf, that's a helpful real-world use observation. Thank you.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2017, 05:23:13 pm »
The 87V is only 6000-count. It has a 12,000-count mode, but you have to manually select that. Yes, single display only.
The Fluke 87V has 20,000 count mode option, not 12,000.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2017, 05:38:33 pm »
If Continuity speed and buzzer performance is important to you, 
Flukes such as 87x, 189, 289 seies etc are hard to beat (no contest!)   :clap:
assuming clean probes and sharp tips used in a comparison. 

Many other brands (not all) just get it wrong or cheap out on that feature
implementing some scratchy sounding pos transducer that even cats and dogs dislike  :o :scared:
leaving the unaware user 'waiting for the bus'  going from one test point to the next
and or going back again to re-check and confirm   :horse:

Inferior Continuity performance on any high priced multimeter for speedy troubleshooting can be a  a major work flow 'impedance'
and THE major deal breaker for me  :--
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:27:10 am by Electro Detective »

Offline Mark Hennessy

• Frequent Contributor
    • My electronics and audio website
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2017, 09:21:59 pm »
The 87V is only 6000-count. It has a 12,000-count mode, but you have to manually select that. Yes, single display only.
The Fluke 87V has 20,000 count mode option, not 12,000.

Ah yes :palm: I was in a hurry when I posted that. I'll correct the original post...

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2017, 04:56:50 am »
I love the U1252B but ... only has a defect , the continuity test is very bad
FWIW, I have the same meter and the continuity issues can be addressed.

The easiest, is use really good quality probes. In my case, the Probemaster's I use made a significant difference over the stock probes that came with it. Better yet, put it in manual mode and see if it's to your liking.  ;) And of course you can combine both of these.  :-/O

Of course, a third alternative is to use a different meter with a latching continuity if available. Swapping between meters is a PITA though IMHO, so I do try and pick the right one for the job.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2017, 10:04:04 am »
Well the U127x I was thinking of bidding on has a serial of 57xx so should not be affected by the EMC issue, but it is not supported in sigrok (yet?). Still, the IR/USB cable is reasonably priced for these though. I also noticed that the that although the U127x is a later model, it has a lower count? i.e. 30,000 vs the U125x's 50,000.

Thanks for the additional comments on continuity, nanofrog. It ocurred to me as well that I could use my 179 or even my Precision Gold, but it does seem rather poor that a 400-500GBP meter cannot get a simple thing like this quite right. Obviously good probes do make a difference. I recently purchased some cheap ones for the Precision Gold and found that they were awful and almost unusable. The main problem was the quality of the  banana plugs which make bad contact with the socket leading to dodgy readings. The wires and probe, while a little short and nothing special, do not seem that bad. I might try swapping the plugs to see whether it improves things. By contrast, I also purchased a set of Keysight probes from Farnell and found them to be a joy to use by comparison. I will take your points into consideration.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:01:15 pm by WaveyDipole »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2017, 04:54:26 pm »
I have a U1273A and its continuity is pretty good, including some additional interesting features I highlight on the video below:
https://youtu.be/fH6rL2U2oAI
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2017, 05:31:25 pm »
Cool, Sounds like an 80's arcade computergame.

My Agilent is rather slow in continuity but I use the diode test function instead. But my fastest is the BM869s. I do not care about latching, this often makes it slower because you need to wait until it stops beeping.
I tried continuity on my Agilent  with several probes, no noticeable difference in speed. But I do not have crappy probes.

I have a set Brymen probes that came with the BM869s. I do not like the tip shape  (to "flat" ) but mine are are stable. But a resistance of 0,1021 ohm is not great. As a reference: my original (very cheap looking) Keitley 2000 probes are 0,0457 ohm, original Flukes (the  plastic version of the 77-III) are 0,0706, Siglent silicone leads and very sharp tips from my SHS1062 are 0,0586 (sharp tips are often higher in resistance)

www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2017, 06:09:22 pm »
I have a set Brymen probes that came with the BM869s. I do not like the tip shape  (to "flat" ) but mine are are stable. But a resistance of 0,1021 ohm is not great. As a reference: my original (very cheap looking) Keitley 2000 probes are 0,0457 ohm, original Flukes (the  plastic version of the 77-III) are 0,0706, Siglent silicone leads and very sharp tips from my SHS1062 are 0,0586 (sharp tips are often higher in resistance)

I have tested a variety of probes including the ones that came with my BM869s. They all measured about 0.05 ohms or less (total resistance of both leads in series). I am puzzled that you would measure over 0.1 ohms for those?

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2017, 06:34:24 pm »
I used a strip silverplated copper and put the tips as close together as possible without touching the sides of the tips because I wanted the real live added resistance from tip to tip. But it was a quick test, my Keithley 2000 was not warmed up and I did not wait to get minimal thermal effects etc. Just like most times when I'm working.

The reason I tested this was because I bought a set cheap silicon testleads from Banggood. Just out of curiosity. One single testlead was 0,023 ohm, with my favorite  supersharp probes I measured 0,143 for a set, with "standard tip" probes it was 0,0516. But again, not a metro-logic correct measurement, I was more interested in relative differences. And for instance if rotating the plug in the meter has an effect.
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse

Offline switcher

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2017, 06:36:00 pm »
This looks like a good deal (no association)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272776944318

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2017, 01:10:16 am »
Cool, Sounds like an 80's arcade computergame.
Fortunately it can be turned off from the setup menu...
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2017, 03:17:57 am »

I have tested a variety of probes including the ones that came with my BM869s. They all measured about 0.05 ohms or less (total resistance of both leads in series). I am puzzled that you would measure over 0.1 ohms for those?

With the brymen's you also need to specify/distinguish which of the two different probe styles you have. The stainless steel sharp point sparky type you get from TME or the the better bench service type you get from Frankie.

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2017, 12:15:31 pm »

With the brymen's you also need to specify/distinguish which of the two different probe styles you have. The stainless steel sharp point sparky type you get from TME or the the better bench service type you get from Frankie.

They came with the meter, I bought mine from www.eleshop.nl I did not know they come in flavors
They are goldplated and do not have the grove on the tip.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2017, 12:28:39 pm »

They came with the meter, I bought mine from www.eleshop.nl I did not know they come in flavors
They are goldplated and do not have the grove on the tip.

The gold plated ones are the better ones. or at least most people prefer them. The stainless steel ones are serviceable and appear safe but have a cheaper feel, those are the ones I have. :(

Don't understand what you mean by groove on the tip, sounds dirty.

Best regards

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2017, 12:55:54 pm »
Tip with groove :

Offline Jon.C

• Supporter
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2017, 01:56:48 pm »
my favorites Keysight U1273A  and  Agilent U1252b

All have an excellent continuity test, minus the agilent u1252b

and probemaster leads

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:00:42 pm by Jon.C »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2017, 03:42:50 pm »
This looks like a good deal (no association)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272776944318

Thanks. Indeed it does, although Fluke does not list the 89 anymore and I don't see it for sale anywhere. Is it obsolete now? Also, does it have the 89 have the elastomer problem with the display?

BTW, I have been having fun and games trying to communicate with with Brymen.Eu and the main Brymen distributor in Poland, i.e. Biall.Pl. The last contact from Biall was from an employee on holiday! Needless to say I am not very happy with them so far. I've also heard a lot of negative stuff about TME so if I go for the Brymen I would probably order from Welectron in Germany.

Still this Fluke 89IV looks interesting. I have asked the seller a couple of questions.

Update: seller came back to me within a few minutes and it looks like it has been lightly used. I now only need answers to the above.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 04:06:08 pm by WaveyDipole »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2017, 04:07:14 pm »
I've heard a lot of negative stuff about TME

FYI, I bought from TME.eu with no issues. Their shopping experience was a bit clunky compared to the likes of Amazon, but my order was delivered very promptly.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2017, 04:12:22 pm »
Fluke does not list the 89 anymore and I don't see it for sale anywhere. Is it obsolete now?

I think you answered your own question.

I personally would find £200 for a used meter very steep. That is not far off what it might have cost when new.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2017, 04:32:00 pm »
Fluke does not list the 89 anymore and I don't see it for sale anywhere. Is it obsolete now?

I think you answered your own question.

I personally would find £200 for a used meter very steep. That is not far off what it might have cost when new.

I tend to agree if its an obsolete meter, although this is the same as the 87, the current version of which sells for between around 420GBP and 500GPB. A quick search on eBay shows other selling for considerably more. Of course none of that necessarily means anything, but it does give me a bit of a guideline. The question now in my mind is, how long ago did it become obsolete, and whether Fluke would still service it should it develop a fault?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 04:35:40 pm by WaveyDipole »

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2017, 04:37:48 pm »
Thanks. Indeed it does, although Fluke does not list the 89 anymore and I don't see it for sale anywhere. Is it obsolete now?
The Fluke 89-IV was the predecessor to the Fluke 189 (pretty much identical as far as I can tell), and had very little to do with the 87-III and 87-V. The only known flaw as far as I know is the supercap that may leak.

I just grabbed a Fluke price list from 2006, and MSRP (ex. VAT) for the 189 was €499, or about £450 at today's exchange rate. The MSRP for the 89-IV was probably very similar a couple of years earlier. Still, I do not think £200 is that great a deal. But not bad either. They are very solid meters with few flaws in my opinion. Nicer than the successor (289) unless used for logging.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2017, 05:10:31 pm »
The reason I associated it with the 87 is because both the user and the service manual cover both models. Obviously the two 400GBP listings I am seeing are total nonsense. I was hoping that this one did not have the supercap issue, although it does have a date function so I guess that makes sense. The manual is dated 1999, so if it goes back two years before your price list, then I guess the meter is dated somewhere between 1999 and 2004. I guess that puts things into perspective somewhat, although it does have the fact that it is clean and according to the seller, is calibrated, going for it. There is the option to make an offer, so I'm now thinking whether to make one and how much bearing all the aforementioned in mind, or whether a new Brymen would be better bet.

The of the BM869 on EEVblog was done back in 2013. Would anyone care to comment how well the meter has kept its calibration over the last 3-4 years? Also, how precise is that high resolution mode? Does it work sensibly or is it just a gimmick?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:51:24 pm by WaveyDipole »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf