Author Topic: Brennenstuhl switches  (Read 3400 times)

Offline kcsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Brennenstuhl switches
« on: July 28, 2017, 12:33:54 pm »
I have bought a few of Brennenstuhl Eco-Line extensions. While I liked their construction, the rocker switch they use are very bad quality. Two of them have failed for me under very light use within short period of time. I have searched for high quality replacement, but could not find anything with right dimensions.

In case someone is interested, Brennenstuhl uses Soken RK1-01 for its Eco-Line extensions (most likely the same switch for other extensions as well). I have measured cutout dimensions with digital caliper and attaching my drawing as well as info about that switch.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Brennenstuhl switches
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 05:12:43 pm »
That switch style is a standard size part, there are plenty of replacement manufacturers of better quality ones available.

Offline markce

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 05:49:17 pm »
Had the same issue with Brennenstuhl here.  One was actually sparking.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 05:54:15 pm »
Me too, the brand sounds expensive but it is cheap crap. The contacts are minimalistic thin, mine had a lightning protection that made lightning on its own.

On the same foot, I bought mains contacts on a fleamarket from the 70s.
Opened them up and they had thick brass folded double back so it will not bend out (wear).
They just don't make that wuality anymore.
Have Berker, Jung and couple of other brands and they all went the cheap as possible route but the price is not in balance too high.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 05:54:57 pm »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 06:13:59 pm »

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 06:56:33 pm »
First class switches: https://www.marquardt-switches.com/index.html?&no_cache=1&L=0

Yes, but do they have the proper size? Marquardt was my first thought and I did check their web site in response to the OP, but could only find smaller and larger switch models. (During a superficial check only, however.)

Offline komet

• Supporter
  • Shenzhen Retroencabulator Mfg. Co.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 07:05:05 pm »
I bought a Brennenstuhl power strip and one of the wires to the switch had actually broken off and was flapping around. Piss-poor quality.

Offline kcsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 09:07:33 pm »
That switch style is a standard size part, there are plenty of replacement manufacturers of better quality ones available.

Name one part number that could be used as a replacement and which could be bought from DigiKey, Farnell, Mouser, TME.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 09:10:47 pm »

Name one part number that could be used as a replacement and which could be bought from DigiKey, Farnell, Mouser, TME.
You already had a part number over the link I posted. Should be on tme and Farnell too.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 09:13:57 pm »
I bought a Brennenstuhl power strip and one of the wires to the switch had actually broken off and was flapping around. Piss-poor quality.
They are pretty crappy, but they do look nice. They put a lot of effort into deluxe looking casings.

Offline kcsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 09:17:26 pm »
You already had a part number over the link I posted. Should be on tme and Farnell too.
That one will not fit. Its bezel is 25x31.5 while the max height should be 30.6.

Offline kcsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 09:22:32 pm »
They are pretty crappy, but they do look nice. They put a lot of effort into deluxe looking casings.

I would not mind paying twice the price or more for a high quality extensions, which could last for a long time. I have tried a few expensive brands (Famatel; cannot remember other), but they all were made to no last.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:50:41 am by kcs »

Offline kcsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 12:34:09 pm »
And don't be fooled by their Premium-Line extensions that have a different switch and are advertised as made in Germany (hence 5 years warranty). While built quality is better, the same rocker switch is used but with a different cap, as you can see from the photos.

Update: I have opened one more Eco-Line extension that I have bought just a few weeks ago. It has a different switch (part number: Dong Gong DG-KA25), but I don't have much confidence in its quality as well.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:56:44 pm by kcs »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf