Author Topic: Brymen BM-869  (Read 14557 times)

Offline tony3dTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Brymen BM-869
« on: January 23, 2014, 06:16:20 am »
Hi all, my meter is acting up, and I was wondering if anyone here has bought the Brymen BM-869 from Frankie. It looks like a pretty good meter for the money. Are there any reviews of it? Can't seem to find any.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
Re: Brymen BM-869
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 06:48:45 am »
Here is one about the Brymen 867 which is quite similar:

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 07:47:43 am »
Are there any reviews of it? Can't seem to find any.
Seriously, you couldn't find this?

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 07:52:20 am »
I've used it a few times and I rather like it. No review yet though.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor

Offline Zensei

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 10:02:55 am »
I own the 869 meter. It's very solid, built like a brick! Very fast continuity and measurements display.

Though, if you don't need two temperature measurements and VFD fundamental frequency measurement, you might as well go with the 867. It's a pretty big price difference on the two.

My only "complaint" is that the display viewing angles could be better. Otherwise it's a great meter!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 12:52:36 pm »
I own the 869 meter. It's very solid, built like a brick! Very fast continuity and measurements display.

Though, if you don't need two temperature measurements and VFD fundamental frequency measurement, you might as well go with the 867. It's a pretty big price difference on the two.

My only "complaint" is that the display viewing angles could be better. Otherwise it's a great meter!

It does seem to be well built. I don't mind spending the extra money on the 869. I like buying from Frankie, he can really be trusted. What other outlets sell those two meters in the states? Frankie sells the 869 for $309.00 with free shipping. I really don't seller many options here in the states.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 01:05:48 pm by tony3d »

Offline Zensei

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 02:22:33 pm »
309 is a very good price! I bought mine from TME.eu, as I am in europe and paid more than that.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 02:59:02 pm »
309 is a very good price! I bought mine from TME.eu, as I am in europe and paid more than that.

How is the main rotary switch? My meters switch is beginning to be intermittent, and I have tried everything. It's just a $100.00 Klein, but it was pretty accurate for what it was. Had a really nice even backlight.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 03:02:25 pm »
I have three Brymens and I have been recommending Brymen quite a bit. IMHO you can't go wrong. They are well built and have great input protection.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 03:16:39 pm »
I have three Brymens and I have been recommending Brymen quite a bit. IMHO you can't go wrong. They are well built and have great input protection.

Thanks. I think I'll order through Frankie then. Everything I get through him comes reasonably fast, and has been fine.$309.00 does seem very fair.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 03:28:55 pm »
+1 to Brymens. I have a BM857 (previous gen) and it is a really good one. Mine is not built as a war tank as my Fluke 179, but it is still pretty sturdy. 

Brymens in US are rebadged as Greenlee (check this one), but they charge way too much for their products. Frankie's price is really good.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 04:31:38 pm »
+1 to Brymens. I have a BM857 (previous gen) and it is a really good one. Mine is not built as a war tank as my Fluke 179, but it is still pretty sturdy. 

Brymens in US are rebadged as Greenlee (check this one), but they charge way too much for their products. Frankie's price is really good.
Another vote for Brymen.  :-+

I also have an older BM857 (date codes put it from 2000), and as you say, it's solidly built. Only issues on this particular unit/model, is the continuity isn't latching and can be a bit scratchy (seriously improved with better quality leads), and the backlight isn't very good (lots of wash-out). These issues can be lived with IMHO, and I use it often, usually in conjunction with an Agilent.  ;D

Better yet, the newer models have made serious improvements on these issues, and the OP would make an excellent choice with either the BM867 or BM869 IMHO. Or BM257 for that matter, based on the information provided by other EEVBlog members.

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 04:34:51 pm »
+1 for the BM857 and BM869.  :-+
My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 05:49:48 pm »
+0.017% compared to DM3068 (for mine, last digit wasn't stable)

Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 06:17:40 pm »
I have an 869. I find that it's not as well built (fluke 87-5 has amazingly tight tolerances), the rubber case thing doesn't quite mate up with the meter as tightly, but it's a minor quibble. It's amazing for the cost though, way more bang for the buck than the 87-5.

I think I've warmed up to it, the rotary switch is incredibly sturdy, not as smooth as the 87-5's as it requires more force to turn and is a bit tricky on a slippery surface one-handed.

also, it's logging to csv is quite handy, though you'll still be limited by battery life for duration, but that's a pretty decent amount of time.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 07:56:39 pm »
Well I'm pretty much sold on the Brymen 869. Really like the extra counts, and seems to have every feature one could want. My cheapo Klein is just getting to unreliable switching to volts when I'm set to anything else at random non the less. When it works it's really pretty accurate according to my PentaRef, and DMM Checker plus. Only out about .3% out on DC volts, AMPS, and ohms. Ac volt is about 5% out because it's not True RMS.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 09:08:55 pm »
One more question. Does the data hold work by touching the probes to the circuitry, or do you have to have a third hand to press hold button?

Offline jadew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 09:52:12 pm »
One more question. Does the data hold work by touching the probes to the circuitry, or do you have to have a third hand to press hold button?

You need a 3rd hand. That's pretty much my only complaint about them. I have a BM867.

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 08:30:04 am »
As alternative for hold you can use the Max. measured value (not really the same but better than nothing)
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 11:41:03 am »

I have one  of both BM857 BM869, purchased from TME.eu no problems shipped to Canada, although I have also ordered other things from frankie and wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. I really  like my 869 and would buy it again if needed. I especialy like dual displays and I use the temp probe way more often than I anticipated.

There are some small negatives:

- It's a big heavy clunky mofo, about the same as comparables like Fluke 87v

- 9 volt battery, would have prefered AA's

-stanless steel conventional prick leads are just OK but look and feel cheap on a meter in this class.

-optimum viewing on the display is bit odd and anoying that it doesn't quite line up with typical line of sight when used on the bench
  tilted in its bale. It's still very legible. MJlorton on his youtube review of the sister meter BM867 with the same display shows and
  discusses this better than I can describe in writing. I viewed that video more than a year ago, assume it is still up. Some day I am going
  to make a semi permanent "bench holster" that puts it at eye level solving this issue.

- I actually like some scratchyness on continuity, there is usefull information there! particularly if you clip one or both leads and
  manipulate and flex the board/connector/DUT. speed is OK not latching isn't.

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 12:06:09 pm »

-stanless steel conventional prick leads are just OK but look and feel cheap on a meter in this class.

Sorry, didn't mean to add any sales pitch to this thread but I just wanted to clarify that all the Brymen meters I sell come with silicone insulated leads with gold plated probe tips. I am not sure about if this is "standard" among different outlets that carry the Brymen meters though, I suspect not.
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline Zensei

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 12:28:44 pm »
Hi iloveelectronics,

when I go to your website www.99centhobbies.com I get a malware warning from my antivirus program...

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 01:32:31 pm »
Hi iloveelectronics,

when I go to your website www.99centhobbies.com I get a malware warning from my antivirus program...

Sorry about that. You're not the first to experience that problem. It's likely because of the redirection service I'm using. Please use http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies instead. I will do something about that redirection issue most likely during the Chinese New Year break.

Cheers,
Franky
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:34:18 pm by iloveelectronics »
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf