Author Topic: Brymen BU-86X USB Kit For BM867s  (Read 5368 times)

Offline 1anXTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Brymen BU-86X USB Kit For BM867s
« on: December 03, 2018, 11:03:31 pm »
I have just ordered a new BM867s from X-On Australia and am curious if anyone has used the BU-86X USB kit with a PC?

I could not find the comms kit listed on X-On Australia's website and wondering if any has found a reliable and cheap supplier on ebay. Any suggestions on best place to buy from would be appreciated.

I tried getting a price from Oz electrical wholesalers for this meter and was shocked. Cablec is the distributor and to give you some idea of the ridiculous prices asked from the wholesalers, I was quoted $AU660 for the BM867s and $840, (Rexel) for the BM869s!!!!!

I found X-On Australia by far the best price at $302 for the BM867s and $330inc GST and delivered to the door. I could have also bought from German suppliers on ebay for about the same cost. Definitely pays to shop around for prices locally in Oz.

I have got the 121GW and would have bought a second if the meter had the new PCB and updated hardware, but it seems they are still using up the existing PCBs until the stock runs out. I always wanted to try out the big Brymen so I now have one on its way to add to the collection.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:06:11 pm by 1anX »

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Brymen BU-86X USB Kit For BM867s
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 11:09:00 pm »
What!, why not order direct from Brymen, the USB interface is 39,90 Euros from them https://brymen.eu/shop/bu-86x-usb-kit-for-bm52x-bm82x-bm86x/
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 11:14:51 pm »
What!, why not order direct from Brymen, the USB interface is 39,90 Euros from them https://brymen.eu/shop/bu-86x-usb-kit-for-bm52x-bm82x-bm86x/
They dont ship to Australia.!
Cheapest I can find is $AU79 https://www.ebay.com.au/i/171027298387?chn=ps
I was hoping for something cheaper if possible.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:18:11 pm by 1anX »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:16:44 pm »
They dont ship to Australia.

They are also available from sellers on eBay who will ship to Australia I'm sure?

Edit

Here you go https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Brymen+BU-86X&_sacat=0
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:19:38 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 11:29:50 pm »
Thanks Specmaster, looks like $AU75 is the going rate so I have ordered one.
The 121GW has BT connection for data-logging, but I think the tried and true cable to the PC will provide faster and more reliable data throughput.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 11:31:40 pm »
Let us know how you get on.  I was planning to buy a BM869S from X-On in the new year.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 11:39:35 pm »
Let us know how you get on.  I was planning to buy a BM869S from X-On in the new year.

Will do!
I could not believe the prices the electrical wholesalers were charging and I have a wholesale account with Rexel. Maybe some of the other wholesalers would be cheaper, but X-On at half the quoted price from Rexel got my money.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Who let Murphy in?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 12:29:56 am »
Here are the Ebay prices for BM869 and BM867 to Australia on Ebay.au, a 10 GST will apply, but even then its far cheaper than X-on

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-X-BM869S-Digital-multimeter-2x-LCD-with-a-backlit-5x-s-50A-1000A-C/112616804421?epid=2256090002&hash=item1a387c1045:g:Db0AAOSwzQFZ8HuB:rk:2:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brymen-BM867s-Multimeter/273321049022?hash=item3fa3343bbe:g:8wkAAOSwmSVbfn83:rk:5:pf:0

Its a bit late for me now but thanks for putting up the links as another option.
Once you convert to $AU and add in the shipping and 10% for GST the price of the BM867s is very close to the same as X-On its only a few dollars difference. Adding the product and shipping it comes to $AU292 then add in another $29 for GST and its $AU321.
I paid $330 at X-On and it maybe easier for returns/repairs for warranty as they are local.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 12:32:44 am by 1anX »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 12:33:51 am »
No problem, enjoy your 867 when you get, I love mine, it sits at the top of my stack of meters.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 01:04:41 am »
That ebay link for the BM869s is about AU$516 + GST.  The price from X-On is $432 + GST.  Shipping from X-On is going to be significantly less than the $84 difference.

The Welectron ebay listing for the 869s on the other hand works out about $15 cheaper
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brymen-BM869s-Multimeter/273321049098
Even with some additional shipping cost from X-On added on to that, to me it is not worth it should there be any need to get help under warranty.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 01:38:50 am »
Yeah, I understand, I just never thought about the shipping cost to Aus would be any different than it would the UK, I cocked up big time there for sure  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 02:26:36 am »
That ebay link for the BM869s is about AU$516 + GST.  The price from X-On is $432 + GST.  Shipping from X-On is going to be significantly less than the $84 difference.

The Welectron ebay listing for the 869s on the other hand works out about $15 cheaper
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brymen-BM869s-Multimeter/273321049098
Even with some additional shipping cost from X-On added on to that, to me it is not worth it should there be any need to get help under warranty.
Shipping from X-On is free so you are right about it, (shipping) being significantly less  :-+

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 07:26:46 am »
It got delivered to the door in 6 days! X-On seem a pretty responsive eSales store and I had no problems buying the meter. One thing to remember though is that if you buy without registering an account you cant track your package. I did the simple PayPal purchase and discovered for tracking you need an account.

Having a play with the meter and testing out the ranges I have to say I'm very impressed. Its fast, responsive, accurate and stable, not only stable display values, but also very stable when on its stand. My 121GW wobbles on its stand and needs 2 hands when turning the selector switch. Its just so easy to use this meter with one hand.

The USB Kit for data logging should arrive soon from Hong Kong and I'll give the app a test on my laptop running Win 10. I have downloaded the software from Brymen and it looks pretty basic but should do all I want.

I didn't need the VFD and dual temp probe features of the BM869S otherwise the two meters are identical with just a few measurements having better accuracy on the BM869S. I think you will be pleased with the meter when you get it next year.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 08:10:52 am »
Nice.  I'll order myself one right now for Christmas...  ;D

I also don't really need the extra features of the 869s, but so what.  I also don't need more than a dozen multimeters  :-DMM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 10:01:34 pm »
I got the USB kit for the 867S and it works fine and as it has optical isolation is extremely safe for mains voltage electrical work as well as the usual electronic stuff.

Always on the look out for a new project I might see if I can make up a USB to BLE converter for it using one of my ESP32 modules. I see Github have a HID BLE library for the ESP32 so might have to see if its a possibility.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 10:31:12 pm »
I've had the 867s for a while now and it's still as good as the day I bought it. I have also found it to be quick, stable and very accurate! You'll enjoy it for sure! I don't think I've heard anyone who's got one say they don't like it.  :-+
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 11:31:39 am »
I second that as well, I must admit that I was a bit concerned in the first instance seeing as it was a name that I've not really come across before and was way way cheaper than an equivalent Fluke, I was teetering on the brink of buying one when a fellow member of this forum who is a person whose opinions I value highly purchased one. That was all the reassurance I needed and within days I too got mine and I really love using it and I have zero regrets about it, its a joy use and feels like a Fluke in the hand, well built and really rugged.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2018, 11:42:39 am »
I second that as well, I must admit that I was a bit concerned in the first instance seeing as it was a name that I've not really come across before and was way way cheaper than an equivalent Fluke, I was teetering on the brink of buying one when a fellow member of this forum who is a person whose opinions I value highly purchased one. That was all the reassurance I needed and within days I too got mine and I really love using it and I have zero regrets about it, its a joy use and feels like a Fluke in the hand, well built and really rugged.

I may be wrong here as I am sure I’ve only heard this somewhere and not read it in a manual or whatever but I’m sure it has better high voltage protection than the flukes. Someone can pick me up if im wrong but I don’t think so. It’s well robust!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2018, 12:09:37 pm »
I'm not sure about the high voltage protection but I would not be surprised if at least matched the Flukes in that respect. What I do know is that it is rapidly becoming one of if not the favorite meter of the people who actually test meters on their YouTube video channels. Many of them say it is their goto meter and that certainly is true for me and with its large and dual display it is extremely easy to use and boasts a very good Cat IV @ 1000V rating. I really don't know of any other meter that has a better bang per £ at £130 and next day free delivery it seems rude not to own one.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2018, 02:49:22 pm »
I'm not sure about the high voltage protection but I would not be surprised if at least matched the Flukes in that respect. What I do know is that it is rapidly becoming one of if not the favorite meter of the people who actually test meters on their YouTube video channels. Many of them say it is their goto meter and that certainly is true for me and with its large and dual display it is extremely easy to use and boasts a very good Cat IV @ 1000V rating. I really don't know of any other meter that has a better bang per £ at £130 and next day free delivery it seems rude not to own one.

There is something it has better than the flukes and i'm sure it is something to do with HV protection stuff. I'll try and find where I saw that.
The extra digit resolution is a handy feature too sometimes if only just to see which way something is creeping or whatever.

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2018, 05:43:35 pm »
Ask joeqsmith  ??  he played a lot with meters tests

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2018, 05:55:14 pm »
Ask joeqsmith  ??  he played a lot with meters tests

See the links in Joe's YT channel about page
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsK99WXk9VhcghnAauTBsbg/about

The BM869S (2nd unit) he tested passed at 8kV and failed at 10kV.  One of the FLuke 87V's he tested passed at 10kV and failed at 12kV.
Other Fluke models (107 & 115) also did better than the BM869S, passing at 14kV and 12kV respectively.
Of course for the actual info on what those results all mean you need to watch his videos in detail.  But first read his FAQ!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf