Author Topic: Brymen ... Fluke ... (Why pay extra?)  (Read 28597 times)

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
Re: Brymen ... Fluke ... (Why pay extra?)
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2017, 03:30:28 am »
I use my DMMs for electronics, rarely for electrical.  So I went looking around at the Fluke electrical offerings...

I ran across the T-PRO Electrical Tester and I rather like the concept.  I get a fast visual indication of the voltage level and I can read the digital value if I wish.  It has low level visual indications like 12V and 24V as well as the common 120-208-240-277-480V levels.  It also vibrates like a solenoid style tester and has a beeper for voltage detection.  This could be a really handy meter for electricians!

https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-T-PRO-Electrical-Tester/dp/B000VRHD4S/ref=pd_sbs_469_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000VRHD4S&pd_rd_r=Q4VQDT7K311STA62TBX0&pd_rd_w=IN8RC&pd_rd_wg=6EpjC&psc=1&refRID=Q4VQDT7K311STA62TBX0

The Amazon ad says it does open jaw current testing but I don't think that is true.  Perhaps there is an accessory.

I may just buy one of these for use around the house.  Clearly, I have other testers but this unit seems like it would be fantastic.

Did I mention is also figures out phase rotation on 3 phase circuits?  Now that's cool considering they do it with just 2 wires.  My trusty Knopp phase rotation meter can finally retire!

Looks like the listing displays the info of the Fluke T5-600.

I have a couple of clamp meters, a Fluke 324 and a Klein CL700, even though I'm a Fluke fanboy I can't see a single reason to take the Fluke over the Klein. DMMs are a different story, Fluke is my choice. I'd like to try Hioki or Brymen but I trust Fluke, it costs me money when I can't trust something and it takes time to earn trust.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2017, 02:57:12 pm »
I use my DMMs for electronics, rarely for electrical.  So I went looking around at the Fluke electrical offerings...

I ran across the T-PRO Electrical Tester and I rather like the concept.  I get a fast visual indication of the voltage level and I can read the digital value if I wish.  It has low level visual indications like 12V and 24V as well as the common 120-208-240-277-480V levels.  It also vibrates like a solenoid style tester and has a beeper for voltage detection.  This could be a really handy meter for electricians!

https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-T-PRO-Electrical-Tester/dp/B000VRHD4S/ref=pd_sbs_469_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000VRHD4S&pd_rd_r=Q4VQDT7K311STA62TBX0&pd_rd_w=IN8RC&pd_rd_wg=6EpjC&psc=1&refRID=Q4VQDT7K311STA62TBX0

The Amazon ad says it does open jaw current testing but I don't think that is true.  Perhaps there is an accessory.

I may just buy one of these for use around the house.  Clearly, I have other testers but this unit seems like it would be fantastic.

Did I mention is also figures out phase rotation on 3 phase circuits?  Now that's cool considering they do it with just 2 wires.  My trusty Knopp phase rotation meter can finally retire!

I have a couple of clamp meters, a Fluke 324 and a Klein CL700, even though I'm a Fluke fanboy I can't see a single reason to take the Fluke over the Klein. DMMs are a different story, Fluke is my choice. I'd like to try Hioki or Brymen but I trust Fluke, it costs me money when I can't trust something and it takes time to earn trust.

Yes, there are two versions: the T5-600 and the T5-1000 and it's the -1000 that does the open jaw current testing.   It costs a bit more.

There's certainly nothing wrong with the CL700, it looks like a great tester, but for current measurements, I am using a 54 year old Amprobe.  It clearly doesn't have the accuracy or precision of the modern digital units.  But it works fine...

There is a tendency to wrap up all the measurement functions in a single unit.  Cost wise it makes sense but there is something to be said for a meter/tester that does just one thing and doesn't have a selector switch that can be set incorrectly.

Two things I am looking for:  First, I don't want clunky, I have to be able to manipulate the tool easily within the work environment.  Why are terminal blocks tight against the wall of the enclosure?

Second, I don't want to have to take my eyes away from where I'm probing to check the measurement.  I prefer some kind of tactile feedback when, more often than not, I'm only interested in hot or not.  These are artificial requirements, other opinions will vary.

It's a good thing I am retired and don't have to consider all the options out there today.  I'm a big fan of Klein tools and I still have some from way back in the mid '60s.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2017, 12:17:36 am »

Yes, there are two versions: the T5-600 and the T5-1000 and it's the -1000 that does the open jaw current testing.   It costs a bit more.

There's certainly nothing wrong with the CL700, it looks like a great tester, but for current measurements, I am using a 54 year old Amprobe.  It clearly doesn't have the accuracy or precision of the modern digital units.  But it works fine...

There is a tendency to wrap up all the measurement functions in a single unit.  Cost wise it makes sense but there is something to be said for a meter/tester that does just one thing and doesn't have a selector switch that can be set incorrectly.

Two things I am looking for:  First, I don't want clunky, I have to be able to manipulate the tool easily within the work environment.  Why are terminal blocks tight against the wall of the enclosure?

Second, I don't want to have to take my eyes away from where I'm probing to check the measurement.  I prefer some kind of tactile feedback when, more often than not, I'm only interested in hot or not.  These are artificial requirements, other opinions will vary.

It's a good thing I am retired and don't have to consider all the options out there today.  I'm a big fan of Klein tools and I still have some from way back in the mid '60s.

they both measure current thorough the open jaw, in fact they are the same, exept the T5-600 measures to 600 volts and the T5-1000 measures to 1000 volts, hence the naming convention...

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2017, 04:59:58 am »

I thought you were talking about the T-PRO Electrical Tester based on your paragraph before the link and the description and item in your link. I was pointing out that the link for the T-PRO Electrical Tester had incorrect information in the link, though you can select the T-pro to buy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf