Author Topic: Bunch of keysight U1252B meters around  (Read 145754 times)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Bunch of keysight U1252B meters around
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2017, 06:39:21 pm »
The charge plugs are dual socketed and I've been wondering why.  You can plug the leads into it when the charge plugs are in but it doesn't make ensemsince you have to have it in charge to charge.  The other thing I thought strange was the charger is 24v 3.5A.  Seems like overkill for a 9V battery, actually 8.4V rechargeable, right?

Correct. If you look at the bulge in the middle of the charge cable, you'll notice that it's a section of heat shrink tubing that holds together a plug and jack, probably of the barrel variety. It appears to me that the banana ends are a stock accessory for something and the SMPS is another. Put them together and they work for this use case.

So, perhaps it's simply a matter of utilizing existing parts for cost effectiveness that compensates for the power supply's significantly overrated output.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2017, 07:38:57 pm »
You guys are terrible with these thread.  I keep buying stuff I don't need because they are discounted!  :D

It says it will be here in 10 days.  Paid $200+shipping.

Yeah, I should have spent the $200 on something I don't already have twenty of.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2017, 10:07:33 pm »
You guys are terrible with these thread.  I keep buying stuff I don't need because they are discounted!  :D

It says it will be here in 10 days.  Paid $200+shipping.

Yeah, I should have spent the $200 on something I don't already have twenty of.

Hmm, I still have some room then. I've "stopped" at a baker's dozen.

Yeah, there are many of us who are members of TEA (Test Equipment Anonymous). The forum certainly does feed the habit. :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2017, 12:59:23 am »
Meter came yesterday, but I was out of town. I am back now, and it is all in perfect order.

Only complaint is that the latch on the continuity tester is pretty slow. Otherwise a pretty nice meter, especially for the price.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2017, 01:14:48 am »
Only complaint is that the latch on the continuity tester is pretty slow. Otherwise a pretty nice meter, especially for the price.

While in the continuity test mode, manually bump it up to one of the M-ohm ranges and it'll be much faster.

Also note that the continuity voltage differs based on the range. It can be as high as 4V, which could be detrimental for some circuits/devices.

The following users thanked this post: FlyingHacker

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2017, 01:40:40 am »

While in the continuity test mode, manually bump it up to one of the M-ohm ranges and it'll be much faster.

Also note that the continuity voltage differs based on the range. It can be as high as 4V, which could be detrimental for some circuits/devices.

Nice trick. Is that note about the speed in the manual? I was reading the manual, but I don't think I got to that part yet. I did see that different ranges use different voltages.

Offline cncjerryTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2017, 02:50:11 am »

Ok, now I don't feel bad about turning you guys onto the seller AND NOT BUYING ONE MYSELF! I never had a problem with the continuity tester as I put it in diode mode usually but I like the idea of bumping it up.  So I gained something.

I have so many meters.  My favorite is an HP handheld still in the original box that the seller taped up and sent to me instead of repacking.  Could have killed him.  I have 4 x 3455A, 3 x 3478a, 2 x 3456a, 2 x 3457a, 2 x 3476b, an HP signature meter to fix them and about 6 or 8 Keithley, plus the Agilent U1252b and a bunch of tossers.  So ok, I need to join the club...

I mean, the meter is nice, do I need another? MAybe to have one on the charger while the other is in use?  OK! I'm going to send him a note and see if he has one without all the charger, leads, etc. that he wants to send me for a deal.

Edit: sent a note, wish me luck.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 03:21:56 am by cncjerry »

Offline Noize

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2017, 02:58:25 am »
I bought the last one  :phew: Unless he puts up some more. My first professional multi-meter. 8)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2017, 03:44:04 am »

Nice trick. Is that note about the speed in the manual? I was reading the manual, but I don't think I got to that part yet. I did see that different ranges use different voltages.

I don't recall seeing it in the manual. The lag annoyed me so I messed with it for a while and discovered the trick. I assumed that the lag is due to the auto-ranging, but that wouldn't explain why it needs to be in the upper ranges to achieve that speed. Perhaps the lower source voltage in the upper ranges enables the meter to measure low resistance more quickly. I'd be interested to know the real reason.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2017, 03:53:08 am »
Ok, now I don't feel bad about turning you guys onto the seller AND NOT BUYING ONE MYSELF! I never had a problem with the continuity tester as I put it in diode mode usually but I like the idea of bumping it up.  So I gained something.

Sharing is what it's all about. :-+

I never posted much about the U1250 because it seemed like it wasn't of much interest on the forum. Most folks had Fluke 87V or U1272A. It was surprising to see all the activity this thread generated for the meter. Nice to have some company now. :-DMM

I have so many meters.  My favorite is an HP handheld still in the original box that the seller taped up and sent to me instead of repacking.  Could have killed him.  I have 4 x 3455A, 3 x 3478a, 2 x 3456a, 2 x 3457a, 2 x 3476b, an HP signature meter to fix them and about 6 or 8 Keithley, plus the Agilent U1252b and a bunch of tossers.  So ok, I need to join the club...

Welcome to the club!

I mean, the meter is nice, do I need another? MAybe to have one on the charger while the other is in use?  OK! I'm going to send him a note and see if he has one without all the charger, leads, etc. that he wants to send me for a deal.

Well done. We didn't even have to try to convince you. :-DD

Edit: sent a note, wish me luck.

Good luck. From what I've seen, he's selling all new packaged meters. Let us know how you make out.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 03:54:55 am by bitseeker »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2017, 06:03:50 am »
Only complaint is that the latch on the continuity tester is pretty slow.
Another trick IME is to use better probes.

For example, continuity is quick on my Probemaster sets, but is slow with the stock leads that cam with it. Even after giving them a good clean with alcohol. Stock leads are fine otherwise, other than them being on the stiff side for silicone insulation.

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2017, 03:13:05 pm »
Really? The probes affect the latching speed of the continuity detector? Easy enough to test, but that doesn't seem right. I mean, what is the mechanism by which they make any difference?

I will give it a shot. these probes are OK, but not my favorites. The wires feel plastic, and the metal portion of the probe tips is miniscule. I didn't seem to be able to pull of a "cap" to expose more metal. I only pulled and twisted lightly because I didn't want to damage them.

Offline amirm

• Regular Contributor
    • Audio Science Review
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2017, 05:46:23 pm »
Really? The probes affect the latching speed of the continuity detector? Easy enough to test, but that doesn't seem right. I mean, what is the mechanism by which they make any difference?
For a long time I had suspected this being a problem.  And member here did a great video showing this:

I think the issue is that a poor probe requires fair amount of pressure to get low resistance whereas a good probe does that with slightest amount of pressure.  Try that.  Short out the probe and see how sensitive it is to amount of pressure you put on them to register low resistance.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:48:22 pm by amirm »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2017, 10:09:20 pm »
Poor conductivity of probes can certainly degrade continuity detection speed. However, that's a separate issue from the meter being slow when in auto-range or low-range continuity modes.

On the U1250-series continuity is slow. The fastest continuity response is only achieved on the 50 M-Ohm or 500 M-Ohm range, even with gold plated ProbeMaster probes.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2017, 11:14:44 pm »

I will give it a shot. these probes are OK, but not my favorites. The wires feel plastic, and the metal portion of the probe tips is miniscule. I didn't seem to be able to pull of a "cap" to expose more metal. I only pulled and twisted lightly because I didn't want to damage them.
The included probes are safety probes. (Apparently back in the Agilent days they included both the "short" safety probes and "long" normal ones. Now it's just the short ones.)

As for it affecting continuity, you'd be amazed. On my secondary cheapie meters with unlatched continuity, the included cheapie probes, as well as Fluke TL175 probes, are scratchy and horrible. The gold plated Probemaster probes? Nearly perfect, smooth continuity. If you want I can make a demo video with the cheapie meters, but my Fluke 87V is currently loaned out to a friend so I can't show you the effect in comparison.

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2017, 12:03:38 am »
The Fluke TL175s were bad? Uh Oh, those are some of my favorite probes! Mine are never scratchy with the Fluke 87V, of course that meter latches quickly, as does my Keithley 2100. The Fluke 27 is pretty slow.

I just compared the Agilent probes with two other pairs of probes and found no difference in latching speed. Perhaps I need to try these ProbeMaster probes...

My other favorite type of probe are the Elwyn military surplus probes. These are pretty cheap on eBay from the right seller (I got 5 pair for $35 once). They are rubber leads, which are actually AMAZING to hold and use. I know silicone is all the rage, and nice silicone leads are a treat to work with, but good old fashioned rubber is *amazing*, and lasts quite a long time if you keep it lubed with silicone lube every year or so. I have a number of older meters (older bench meters and analog meters) that do not take the modern safety shrouded banana plugs. So the Elwyn leads are also nice for those meters. The bananas are VERY tight.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2017, 01:11:17 am »
I just compared the Agilent probes with two other pairs of probes and found no difference in latching speed. Perhaps I need to try these ProbeMaster probes...

They are nice. Just be aware that they're really sharp, too. I've stabbed myself a couple of times. All of mine have banana plugs with retractable shrouds so they work in both kinds of jacks.

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2017, 02:30:05 am »
Yeah, those Elwyn probes are crazy sharp too. I have stabbed myself with them.

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2017, 03:33:05 am »
and lasts quite a long time if you keep it lubed with silicone lube every year or so.
Any suggestions for lube?  Sylglide from NAPA?

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2017, 04:29:11 am »
and lasts quite a long time if you keep it lubed with silicone lube every year or so.

I use CRC Di-electric grease. I smear it on the rubber and let it sit a day or two. Then I wipe it down with a rag. YMMV

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2017, 07:48:13 am »

I use CRC Di-electric grease. I smear it on the rubber and let it sit a day or two. Then I wipe it down with a rag. YMMV

Tyre shine ( the clear one in a bottle) works well. I use some Dash S that I bought in 5l a good few years ago, and it works well on vinyl, vulcanised rubber, silicone and fibreglass. I use it inside the car as well on the interior, but do not use it on vinyl seats if you want to stay in them.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2017, 12:02:05 pm »
The Fluke TL175s were bad? Uh Oh, those are some of my favorite probes! Mine are never scratchy with the Fluke 87V, of course that meter latches quickly, as does my Keithley 2100. The Fluke 27 is pretty slow.

The Fluke leads are great, but the Probemaster ones are just another league altogether. The Fluke 87V masks the scratchiness of whatever leads you use (a testament to the 87V's engineers, if you ask me!). In contrast, a cheapie unlatched continuity tester hides nothing, showing you acoustically the differences in the contact properties of different probes.

What I was able to quantify in brief testing is this: with the Probemaster leads, the resistance when shorting the probes against one another changes very little whether it's a light touch or pressing hard; it's very, very low. With every other lead, the resistance with a light touch is higher than when pressing hard. How big this difference is depends on the leads (the Flukes not as much, cheapie ones and old Oldaker ones, much more so). I think this has not only to do with the material of the plating, but with the surface texture. (The Probemasters are extremely smooth, whereas the others have a bit more texture to them, reducing the contact area with a light touch.)

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2017, 04:43:28 pm »
So how long does the gold plating on the ProbeMasters last? I am fairly gentle with my probes, but they do get rubbed and held against metal all the time.

Also, is it best just to get them factory direct? Or is there some cheaper source? They are not too pricey even from the factory.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2017, 04:50:08 am »
I treat equipment well, so it all tends to last a long time. I don't know how long the plating will last. YMMV. Suffice it to say, the probes aren't priced like they're made of solid gold, so replacing them when the time comes is not painful.

Someone mentioned in one of the threads that Simon might be importing ProbeMaster probes to Europe. As far as I know, they're only sold directly to the public.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2017, 07:23:29 pm »
So how long does the gold plating on the ProbeMasters last? I am fairly gentle with my probes, but they do get rubbed and held against metal all the time.

Also, is it best just to get them factory direct? Or is there some cheaper source? They are not too pricey even from the factory.
FWIW, my oldest set is ~8yrs old, and the plating is still in excellent condition (no signs of peeling or anything).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf