Author Topic: Siglent SDS 1104X-E WIFI/LAN Web Server  (Read 6041 times)

Offline Old PrinterTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Siglent SDS 1104X-E WIFI/LAN Web Server
« on: April 27, 2019, 08:18:06 pm »
I have had my new 1104X about a week now and as it is my first non-usb DSO I am feeling my way along. One of the first things I wanted try out was the web server feature. My old eyes struggle with small screens, and I have become spoiled with my Analog Discovery on dual 27" monitors. VGA or better still HDMI out was on my list of features right behind 4 channels and individual channel controls. This scope has neither, but I had hoped the web server function would give me a usable alternative. I bought a $7 TP Link usb dongle and tried that route, but the web server kept locking up (Firefox) so I also tried Chrome, which was marginally better, but not usable. A brief consult with Tautech had me questioning my WIFI link, I had about a 30 foot around the corner run to my router/modem. Today I finally had a chance to roll out a length of Ethernet cable as a way around the WIFI link, bingo, solid as a rock from scope to computer and the other way around. Of course there is a lag between the two, but with my level of inexperience I cannot judge it's impact on use. Using a metronome I tried to guesstimate length of the delay between making a setting change on the scope and seeing it on the computer monitor. My best guess is around a quarter second. One other tip Tautech gave me was to turn off DHCP after acquiring and saving an IP address. That made a huge difference in the operating speed of the software, I think the scope was reconfirming the IP constantly with DHCP on pretty much crippling the server. Not to mention having to constantly lookup a new IP every time the scope was booted.

As a side note, I spent a good year and a half sorting through the endless Rigol - Siglent - GWS  which scope do I buy dilemma. Seeing how often during that period Tautech played the part of a tech support person certainly influenced my decision. I know he is always right there pitching the Siglent product line, he is their NZ distributor after all, but he is also quick to take off his salesman's hat and roll up his sleeves to help with a problem or question.

The following users thanked this post: tinhead, patman27

Offline vtwin@cox.net

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS 1104X-E WIFI/LAN Web Server
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 10:39:23 am »
If you are hard-coding that IP address on your scope, make sure you configure your dhcp server to not assign it to any other machine (adding a reservation for the scope's mac address will suffice). Otherwise your dhcp server could end up trying to assign that address to another machine requesting an address, and you'd end up w/ an ip address conflict on your network.
A hollow voice says 'PLUGH'.

The following users thanked this post: Old Printer

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 12:27:05 pm »
DHCP usually starts assigning IPs from low number, to high (1 to 254), so just assign a high number to your scope (aaa.bbb.ccc.104)

Just suggest 104 because your scope has a reference 1104. That'ss what I do to not forget the IP address, for instance my scope has a reference 2074, so my scope IP is something like 192.168.0.74

Do a ping to the IP address you want to use, previously to assign it, just to make sure it's free.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 03:09:41 pm by Mortymore »

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 12:35:44 pm »
One thing you can do is limit the range of DHCP to say 1 to 199 and use 200+ for static IP's, that is how my router is setup.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 12:56:49 pm by MikeLud »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 02:22:12 pm »
Thanks to all of your suggestions. My network is my ISP provided modem/router. I a very much a light weight on networks so I turned on DHCP to allow the router to assign an IP, then shut it off, but I think I see what is meant about assigning my own to avoid conflicts. So far that has not been a problem, but it could and I would be better off learning how to set it up from scratch to keep things under control. The key to my original problem was turning DHCP off after saving the IP. Leaving it on was creating a mess that I could not see, so I wanted to mention that for anyone else clueless like myself :).  The rest is asking too much of the little USB dongle to go the distance it needed to the router. I think going up a few grades to a dongle with an antenna and greater range will fix that, worst cast I need to run a permanent cable is a PITA.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 10:33:15 am »
Thanks to all of your suggestions. My network is my ISP provided modem/router. I a very much a light weight on networks so I turned on DHCP to allow the router to assign an IP, then shut it off, but I think I see what is meant about assigning my own to avoid conflicts. So far that has not been a problem, but it could and I would be better off learning how to set it up from scratch to keep things under control. The key to my original problem was turning DHCP off after saving the IP. Leaving it on was creating a mess that I could not see, so I wanted to mention that for anyone else clueless like myself :).  The rest is asking too much of the little USB dongle to go the distance it needed to the router. I think going up a few grades to a dongle with an antenna and greater range will fix that, worst cast I need to run a permanent cable is a PITA.
Thank you for your kind words of support for my efforts and WRT your WiFi range issues there may be another wireless connectivity solution:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/cheap-wifi-for-sds1000x-e/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 01:26:40 pm »
Thank you for your kind words of support for my efforts and WRT your WiFi range issues there may be another wireless connectivity solution:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/cheap-wifi-for-sds1000x-e/
Thank you for the link. I gave it a quick read and while it sounds interesting, for my setup I think a Cat5 cable would be best. My desktop PC is currently running on a USB Ethernet adapter, and while I don't notice and connection or speed problems a cable run through the attic would be reasonably simple and would eliminate the wireless connection for both the scope and the PC. I always prefer hard wired solutions when possible, slight Luddite mentality I guess :)

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 03:25:30 pm »
You could keep the DHCP, and just configure the scope with a static IP from the end of the dynamic range.

It will work unless you invite all your friends to come over and assign them wifi connectivity!

Offline mroek

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 01:31:04 pm »
Siglent really needs to fix this utterly stupid DHCP behaviour. They need to respect the DHCP lease time that is given, and then just send a DHCP re-request some suitable time before the lease expires.

@tautech: Do you know if they have any plans to actually fix this?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 12:46:48 am »
Siglent really needs to fix this utterly stupid DHCP behaviour. They need to respect the DHCP lease time that is given, and then just send a DHCP re-request some suitable time before the lease expires.

@tautech: Do you know if they have any plans to actually fix this?
Have no idea actually where this might appear in their priority list.
Performa01 might know.

TBH I haven't tried WiFi on a production SDS1104X-E, only on my beta unit and one thing I have noticed is much better WiFi range performance with a SDS2000X-E using the same WiFi USB dongle.
Why this should be I'm unsure.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf