Author Topic: Buying an old 547 tektronix oscilloscope?  (Read 5055 times)

Offline The GuyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Buying an old 547 tektronix oscilloscope?
« on: August 22, 2017, 07:46:51 pm »
Hi all,

I have the chance to buy a working type 547 tek oscilloscope... not sure how "good" it is working, but it works.

Is it worth buying one? and if so how much would you pay for it tops? The amplitude calibration knob is missing.

Thanks a bunch.

Guy.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:01:58 pm by The Guy »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Buying an old 547 tektronik oscilloscope?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 08:33:53 pm »
It's probably not worth much for general scope usage, but if you're interested in collecting old Teks you should check this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/vintage-tek-restoration-pictures-by-martin/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: The Guy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 08:45:42 pm »
It's probably not worth much for general scope usage, but if you're interested in collecting old Teks you should check this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/vintage-tek-restoration-pictures-by-martin/

Thanks!

I just love vintage equipment. I plan to use it on my guitar amp builds, I don't think I need a fancy scope. Do you think a 100 bucks is a fair price?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:19:08 pm by The Guy »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:23:00 pm »

Thanks!

I just love vintage equipment. I plan to use it in my guitar amp builds, I don't think I need a fancy scope. Do you think a 100 bucks is a fair price?
Too dear for me but if you have the gear (another scope) and ability to keep it running you might be happy to pay that much.
This real old stuff can be a labour of love to keep going.....not that this Tek is any more unreliable than anything else, it's just old....too old for reliable use.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: The Guy

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Re: Buying an old 547 tektronix oscilloscope?
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 09:24:14 pm »
100$ might be a bit much, half the value is in the plugin. A 1A4 makes it worth more than a 1A1.

You're also buying the most complex 500 series scope. It's almost a certainty that the HV supply transformer will need to be rebuilt, unless you plan on using the scope 20 minutes at a time with an hour cooldown in between.

The CRT might be at the end of its life too, and no one rebuilds these anymore.

You will also need lots of skill in repairing and maintaining it. Tunnel diodes drift, making the triggers less and less responsive.

Have you ever worked on ceramic strips before? Stock up on 2-3% silver bearing solder (there might still be a roll of the stuff inside the unit, near the power supply regulators IIRC), and learn the correct soldering technique. There's also no refdeses here, except for the active parts. So you'll need to learn to navigate that as well. It's packed a lot denser than a guitar amp.

It's also full of voltages that will easily knock you on your butt, maybe even worse. But if you're playing with tube amps, you might not worry about this.

It also uses a mix of tubes and transistors, the tubes are easier to find than the transistors, finding modern replacements will be up to you.

Draws a lot of current, it'll heat you up as well.

Get the user manual. Everything is revealed.

I like my 547 and the many plugins I have for it.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, The Guy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 09:42:14 pm »
100$ might be a bit much, half the value is in the plugin. A 1A4 makes it worth more than a 1A1.

You're also buying the most complex 500 series scope. It's almost a certainty that the HV supply transformer will need to be rebuilt, unless you plan on using the scope 20 minutes at a time with an hour cooldown in between.

The CRT might be at the end of its life too, and no one rebuilds these anymore.

You will also need lots of skill in repairing and maintaining it. Tunnel diodes drift, making the triggers less and less responsive.

Have you ever worked on ceramic strips before? Stock up on 2-3% silver bearing solder (there might still be a roll of the stuff inside the unit, near the power supply regulators IIRC), and learn the correct soldering technique. There's also no refdeses here, except for the active parts. So you'll need to learn to navigate that as well. It's packed a lot denser than a guitar amp.

It's also full of voltages that will easily knock you on your butt, maybe even worse. But if you're playing with tube amps, you might not worry about this.

It also uses a mix of tubes and transistors, the tubes are easier to find than the transistors, finding modern replacements will be up to you.

Draws a lot of current, it'll heat you up as well.

Get the user manual. Everything is revealed.

I like my 547 and the many plugins I have for it.

Well, dang.... sounds like a lot of trouble... It's just that it is so beautiful!

It comes with the 1a7a plugin.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 12:04:46 am »
1A7 has 500KHz bandwidth, 10uV per division sensitivity, differential input, with an adjustable filter.

Might be good for audio. Don't forget, the plug-in is not part of the scope, it's its own device, ie, a whole new set of problems if it goes bad.

Um, where exactly are you located?
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 12:40:36 am »
1A7 has 500KHz bandwidth, 10uV per division sensitivity, differential input, with an adjustable filter.

Might be good for audio. Don't forget, the plug-in is not part of the scope, it's its own device, ie, a whole new set of problems if it goes bad.

Um, where exactly are you located?

Right now I am somewhere in south-america why? So you say that 100usd is like a rip off or truly "a bit much"? Because that's the price it is selling.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:44:51 am by The Guy »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf