Author Topic: Calibrating a DP832 with python-ivi (also a Keithley 2000 driver for python-ivi)  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Stupid BeardTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hey,

Firstly, I started hacking up a Keithley 2000 driver for python-ivi. This is not finished yet and is not particularly complete, but it was sufficient for the DP832 calibration script.

Secondly, I hacked up a DP832 calibration script that uses python-ivi. This was based heavily on bson's original python script, but should now work with any multimeter supported by python-ivi. The downside to this is that instead of having nice command line args, you now have to change some vars in the python script.

One difference to the previous script is that if your nice 6.5 digit DMM's current range doesn't go up to 3.2A, there's now a hack that lets you use a handheld DMM and manual entry for the higher currents. I did this because I couldn't be arsed to lookup the specs for the fuse in my Keithley 2015, and its current range only goes to 3A.

A better solution for the current range issue is to use an external shunt and the mV range on the meter and do some maths. I will be adding support for that once I get around to acquiring an appropriate shunt.

I have only tested this on Linux, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work on Windows. It does require Python 3 though. It shouldn't need too much hackery to make it work on 2.x, but I'm lazy and couldn't be arsed to do so.

Github links again in case you missed them in the above:

Hope it's useful for someone.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
FWIW, I have had my Keithley 2000 and 2015 quite happy with 3.2A+ measurements. The 3A fuse isn't stressed. If it does blow then it's cheap as chips, no 1000V HRC here. Besides, the calibration test is only for a few seconds and really nothing at all to worry about.

• Regular Contributor
FWIW, I have had my Keithley 2000 and 2015 quite happy with 3.2A+ measurements. The 3A fuse isn't stressed. If it does blow then it's cheap as chips, no 1000V HRC here. Besides, the calibration test is only for a few seconds and really nothing at all to worry about.

Thanks, I figured it would be able to handle it but wasn't 100% sure. I just took the fuse out mine; didn't realise it was a cheap glass one. Silly me, I should have been arsed to check it  :-//

Oh well, the hack only took a minute or two to implement so not the end of the world.

Offline artelse

• Regular Contributor
Installed python-ivi etc and can connect to my DP832; great! Just wondering what is the difference between your fork of python-ivi? Is it 'just' the added Keithley driver?

• Regular Contributor
Installed python-ivi etc and can connect to my DP832; great! Just wondering what is the difference between your fork of python-ivi? Is it 'just' the added Keithley driver?

Yeh, that's the only difference. If you don't need that then the normal python-ivi will be fine.

Offline setu

Is it possible to have this Keithley driver included in an updated release of the upstream python-ivi ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf