Author Topic: Brymen BM319S Automotive DMM: Teardown, small review, TME supplier feedback  (Read 6064 times)

Offline TnFTopic starter

• Contributor
Just got my new DMM from TME.eu (no affiliation, first time order). It is a Brymen auto-ranging multimeter based on the BM2XX series very similar in design to the one sold by Dave (BM235 and BM257) but without true-rms, vfd, relative zero, pc datalogging, BUT replaced with useful automotive function that would otherwise need an oscilloscope to do. You can compare it to Fluke 88V (20000 vs 6000 counts, better accuracy and lifetime guarantee, min/max, autohold, relative zero mode, smoothing feature) but at less than 4x the cost. Full BM319S specs and manual here: http://brymen.eu/wp-content/uploads/biall/102123/102123.INSTRUKCJA_EN..2014-11-05.1.pdf

I got mine for about 100gbp which was the cheapest i could find plus had more benefits ordering from TME. I did some researching and had a discussion before purchasing of which you can read here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/which-dmm-should-i-get-anyone-has-brymen-bm319s/ So here we go:

Packaging: TME probably did the best packaging job i ever had. Rigid cardboard with straps, everything individually labeled and put on separate zip-lock bags. TME sells a ton of stuff, it is similar to Farnell in a sense and others like Digikey etc, but they are based in Poland. I've ordered and they delivered with UPS to Cyprus in 3 days:) They had a fixed shipping rate of 6gbp and had more stuff in reasonable prices i need so i spend almost another 100gbp on top:p Their system is a bit complicated at first glance because it is meant for BIG orders but once you get used to it is easy. Another nice thing is that you can pay in many different currencies without a surcharge. In order to see the prices with VAT you need to register though. Else you see gross pricing.

Brymen BM319S packaging:

What comes in the box:
Note the standard probes are gold plated, and i got some very nice crocodile clips too (of which no-where is said to be included which was a nice gift)

Up close:

Warranty sticker?

Don't turn it on, tear it apart! (It was dark so not the best pics, and i couldn't/didn't want do a full disassembly :p)

Nice backlight:

Some extra accessories i got for this; only the magnetic holder and the silicone probes with banana jack attachments are Brymen):

I did some testing and this thing is awesome! (and of course it would be coming from a crappy DMM) More specifically i did some testing of the automotive functions and it is accurate to one significant digit. Of course we are talking about very low frequency stuff (under 100hz). The only disappointing thing i found is the continuity tester. It is slower from what i was expecting. In fact my cheap ass DMM will give some sound at a higher rate. Although the bar graph updates much more quicker. I think it has to do with how it is implemented, it needs to measure the resistance first and then it will beep. At least it gives a solid tone:) Other than that the unit is pretty rugged and would definitely last from experience. Btw, the leads included have no noticeable resistance (0.0ohms), the average ones i have where to (0.3ohms) so relative mode for probe compensation is not needed in this case.

Anyways, i'm not sure what else to write, so ask your questions if you have any:)

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster, Electro Detective

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
I really like the large display and that they supplied a clamp with it.

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor

That's only an RPM pickup.

But good on them to go with an amber backlight, instead of using white LEDs which need a needlessly complicated and noisy DC-DC converter.  :-+
for(;;);

Offline TnFTopic starter

• Contributor

That's only an RPM pickup.

But good on them to go with an amber backlight, instead of using white LEDs which need a needlessly complicated and noisy DC-DC converter.  :-+

You can use any other signal to measure rpm and pulse width though. That one is just an inductive pickup, useful when you are setting idle and base timing with a timing light:)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf