Author Topic: Can someone recommend a good quality Signal Gen to me?  (Read 6637 times)

Offline jauntyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Can someone recommend a good quality Signal Gen to me?
« on: February 10, 2016, 05:09:50 am »
Hi - looking for a good quality (dependable) signal generator for general use (audio signals are of greatest importance I guess since I'm playing around with audio related stuff). Probably could use up to 10KHz min. Can be digital or analogue (or perhaps there are opinions here), used or new... ideas? I'd be much obliged.

Offline GAD

• Regular Contributor
Re: Can someone recommend a good quality Signal Gen to me?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 06:20:27 am »
Budget?

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 06:23:38 am »
Agilent/Keysight 33522B

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 06:35:44 am »
Budget?

cheapish- I'd like to keep it under USD 300 if I can - under 200 is even better. and under 100 is even better than that. I had an old wavetek analogue unit I bought but it seems to have crapped out and I'm not very certain of my ability to figure out the issues with it... but I wouldn't be averse to getting another if i could find a reliable one.

Offline DG5SAY

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 07:17:13 am »
Agilent/Keysight 33522B

Yes, that´s a "good quality" signal gen. ! But it costs ~ 2500 USD (+ VAT).

I´m happy with my Siglent SDG1025. Costs ~ 350 Euro (incl. VAT).

Real "good quality" isn´t available in your budget.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 07:24:33 am »
Seems the OPs requirements are basic and the SDG805 would meet his needs and is within his stated budget.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline DG5SAY

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 07:29:49 am »
Seems the OPs requirements are basic and the SDG805 would meet his needs and is within his stated budget.

Yes, I agree.  :-+

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 08:26:08 am »

i was kind of imagining something that was very nicely built but a few decades old - usually more humble in facility but cheap because of it's age - no 'antique sleepers' out there?

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 08:39:30 am »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:43:01 am by Richard Crowley »

Offline Loboscope

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 08:49:21 am »
I could recommend the older Philips PM Signal Generators. There had been several models out: PM-5110 / PM-5131 / PM-5132 / PM-5134 and more. They are build solid, reliable, accurate and could be fond in the net really cheap because of their age.

Greetings, Jürgen

P.S.
Be aware, if you want to measure THD, THD+N and IM-Distortion, the stimulus signal must be very, very "clean" and free from distortion. If you want to do so and if you want a high level of precision, I would prefer a software solution (together with a really good soundcard) like "HpW-Works" (http://hpw-works.com/).

Offline rt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 11:09:41 am »

i was kind of imagining something that was very nicely built but a few decades old - usually more humble in facility but cheap because of it's age - no 'antique sleepers' out there?

You don't say where you live but if you are in the UK/Europe KJDS may have something of use:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blackstar-Jupiter-500-function-generator-500kHz-/252259106276
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blackstar-Jupiter-2000-function-generator-2MHz-/252267273360

rt

Until proven otherwise, all TED talk presenters should be considered as charismatic charlatans.

Offline 0b01010011

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 11:28:22 am »
Someone lent me a Velleman HPG1 signal generator - easy to use and works well, nice and compact too.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 01:11:12 pm »
jaunty look at the SDG2042X from Siglent - you get a lot for the money.

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 01:17:57 pm »
I could recommend the older Philips PM Signal Generators. There had been several models out: PM-5110 / PM-5131 / PM-5132 / PM-5134 and more. They are build solid, reliable, accurate and could be fond in the net really cheap because of their age.

Greetings, Jürgen

P.S.
Be aware, if you want to measure THD, THD+N and IM-Distortion, the stimulus signal must be very, very "clean" and free from distortion. If you want to do so and if you want a high level of precision, I would prefer a software solution (together with a really good soundcard) like "HpW-Works" (http://hpw-works.com/).
I agree, I like the PM5134, I have two units of them. But they are NOT low distorsion. (0.3% THD)

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 05:53:38 pm »
After having it for a few weeks, SWIMBO and I can not report anything negative about our TEK/Sony AWG2021. Well, we couldnt open its case - but it has worked reliable for a few hours since we bought it for like 200 USD (was a real steal).

Its user interface makes creating waveforms easy, and it has GPIB and even an FDD for loading data quickly. IMHO, the user interface is really important with an AWG: if you find yourself planning to enter the functions value by value, you will chuck the unit against a wall soon rather than later.

Re THD: sorry, no idea re that.
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

Offline tsaG

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 06:09:19 pm »
I can recommend the Velleman HPG1 aus well, very easy to use and enough for my audio needs:)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 06:14:03 pm »
Budget?

Frequency range?

Types of waves you need to output? (Sine/square? Arbitrary...?)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 08:41:07 pm »
thanks for the great suggestions incl. the Velleman Siglent Philips and Teks etc... the chinese one looks interesting too - choices choices. I will check some of those out. For the person who asked - I am in the US currently. The land of second hand electronics!

I'm a BIT more interested in the analogue meters I think - because that's the way I roll. Though there is something rather nice about buying NEW digital technology insofar as there's less likelihood of needing to create more 'make work' projects for myself from failing test devices.

For the last person who asked about frequency range - it hasn't changed since I first stated it. UP TO 10K. And the usual in terms of waveform... square, sine triangle, sawtooth - whatever.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:00:35 pm by jaunty »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 09:19:08 pm »
Be sure to check THD specs before selecting a unit if audio is important to you.
VE7FM

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf