Author Topic: Cat 4 DMM with Polyfuse  (Read 1511 times)

Offline zerobrainTopic starter

• Contributor
Cat 4 DMM with Polyfuse
« on: July 16, 2018, 01:46:26 pm »
Hi,

i came accross the new Owon DMM and was puzzled it uses only (!) a polyfuse for the mA current input.
From my understanding this may work on a hobbyist´s workbench, but this DMM is advertised as "CAT3 and CAT4".
Any ideas anybody?

best regards

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Cat 4 DMM with Polyfuse
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 02:59:55 pm »
Which meter is it, exactly?

It's not impossible for it to be a low voltage CAT IV, just unlikely.

It wouldn't be the first meter with a fake rating.

Offline zerobrainTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 03:10:45 pm »
It´s an  Owon OW18B.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 05:06:18 pm »
I think Tekpower was selling that same meter.  Maybe.   

It wouldn't be the first meter with a fake rating.
You don't say.  Why would a company ever misrepresent their product?

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 06:14:33 pm »
A lot of the cheap Chinese DMM have fake ratings. I don't know why, but that is what is observed.

The odd thing is that for some meters (some UniT) there is a version with fake ratings and one for the EU with an at least reasonable rating that is considerable lower despite being essentially the same meter, if not higher grade fuses.

It looks like there is a different meaning to CAT... in China. More like the Cat number corresponds to the number of  :-DD and  :palm:.  Maybe for China or India they get away with this and those cheap units find there way to others too.  AT least most of the fakes are rather obvious. I am still waiting to see the a CAT V rating on a handheld.

To have any trust in the CAT ratings it needs additional labels from test institutes (e.g. UL, GS, ...) - however these might be fakes too.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 08:08:31 pm »
AT least most of the fakes are rather obvious. I am still waiting to see the a CAT V rating on a handheld.

CAT V? You might have to wait a while for that (at least until they invent that category :popcorn: )

The Amprobe HD160C is CAT IV 1000V. Check out the fuse:

More info: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/any-experience-with-an-amprobe-hd160c/

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 09:43:20 pm »
hey, the cat rating is about saving the user and not the meter.
if you do something stupid - and i'v seen enough demonstrations of that recently on utube,

if the meter turns to ash internally and the case contains it all, then i think it's a pass!!!
every meter i'v had has imposed voltage limits on the current range that is far less than the maximum in V range - so why does the fuse - polymer,ceramic or whatever have to withstand 1000v??
it doesnt, it's there to protect the tracks and shunt from overcurrent.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 11:18:17 pm »
hey, the cat rating is about saving the user and not the meter.
if you do something stupid - and i'v seen enough demonstrations of that recently on utube,

if the meter turns to ash internally and the case contains it all, then i think it's a pass!!!

I've seen people post what you have just wrote about the tests that I run on them.  That's how disconnected some people are.   Just crazy.   From a safety standpoint, it would be great to see an independent lab running meters.   

every meter i'v had has imposed voltage limits on the current range that is far less than the maximum in V range - so why does the fuse - polymer,ceramic or whatever have to withstand 1000v??
it doesnt, it's there to protect the tracks and shunt from overcurrent.

I think it's because the the standards require it.   They are also not rated for 10KA break current and up to save the meter.   It's all about safety.       

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 01:02:45 am »

Because real people make mistakes.

Real people put the leads on the wrong input jacks, etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf