Author Topic: Connect Rigol DM3058 to Agilent Data logging utility  (Read 16824 times)

Offline SpikeeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Connect Rigol DM3058 to Agilent Data logging utility
« on: December 30, 2013, 01:17:00 pm »
Back in my dorm i have a Rigol DM3058 5 1/2 digit multimeter that is awesome.
But there is no decent logging software for it , the Ultra View from rigol is verry buggy and crashes a lot , Same for the Excel based logging thing rigol provides.
A subscription to Labview / mathlab is to expensive for me and writing my own logging software would be a lot of work.

But the DMM has the option to output/emulate the Agilent 34401a command set via GPIB/(USB/LAN/RS232 ?).
Is it possible to use that option and connect it to the Agilent DMM connectivity utility ?

Rigol DM3058 product page:
http://www.eu.rigolna.com/products/digital-multimeters/dm3000/dm3058/

Thanks!
Spikee

P.S. I'm not currently at my dorm so i can't test it myself at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 01:23:30 pm by Spikee »
Freelance electronics design service, Small batch assembly, Firmware / WEB / APP development. In Shenzhen China

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Connect Rigol DM3058 to Agilent Data logging utility
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 01:41:55 pm »
I would be surprised if it does work, not all command work the same, certainly the ID will be wrong.
And If I was Agilent I would make sure it didn't work, since it is 'free' software IF you buy their DMM.
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline Alfons

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 04:15:53 pm »
For those who had to contend with this problem: I just did not get to run the Labview VI's right. Now Rigol said that you should change the decimal separator in the Windows Control Panel from "," to ".". Now, the driver actually work and at least I know what I must change because in the VI's. On the software side, the DM3058 a disaster, even if the device is not bad.
This error is also noticeable in the UltraView software and the Exel program.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 07:07:01 pm »
Sorry for the thread necro, but I've been messing with the DM3058 and undocumented commands and found one that might be useful to others.

Rigol DM3058 and DM3068 both have an AGILENT compatible command set that can be set from the front panel or with the CMDSET command. Unfortunately this isn't good enough for most third party applications as they are written to query the *IDN? string to confirm the correct device is connected. The above Agilent utility is a case in point.

I found an undocumented command IDNSET <string> that can be used to spoof the *IDN? string. It converts the entire string to lower case for some reason. IDNSET RIGOL will reset back to normal. Hmm... will it work with BenchVue? Let's spoof an Agilent 34401A with IDNSET AGILENT,34401A,0,4-1-1

Load up BenchVue and the Rigol is a "Hidden or unsupported instrument" as can be seen when clicking on the oscilloscope icon bottom right.

However, click Refresh and it changes into a 34401A ;)

Click on Show and then launch the DMM bench application by double clicking on your new 34401A on the bottom panel.

I can change the settings like DC, AC, Resistance, etc. but for some reason the live readout is not available. I suspect this is down to an existing bug I reported to Rigol well over a year ago. Perhaps it works for DM3068 owners?

But the data logger tool does appear to work at least. Sometimes there are connection errors. Again this is probably down to Rigols crummy Agilent implementation.

O0

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 12:08:11 am »
There was a new firmware for the DM3068. Maybe there is a newer firmware for the DM3058?   I requested it from Rigol web portal. 

Newest version for the DM3068 is 01.01.00.01.10.00.00

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 12:13:36 am »
Details

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 01:07:13 am »
There was a new firmware for the DM3068. Maybe there is a newer firmware for the DM3058?   I requested it from Rigol web portal. 

Cheers Dwaine,

I read the notes on the firmware updates of DM3068 and scratched my head thinking "Why, I reported this shit to them way over a year ago. The problem was the DM3058, not the DM3068... DM3068 worked just fine with Agilent commands, WTF?"  :-//

So yes, I asked for the latest DM3058 firmware and it is still the same not fit for purpose version as years ago. (There are plenty more problems with it than just the Agilent commands too.)

So perhaps they did take notice of my bug report and then spent the past year trying to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place on the wrong model?  :palm:

It really should be a fix that could be done in a couple of days. I can not see why it is taking over a year.  :rant:

Anyway, have you tried to use your DM3068 with Agilent BenchVue and the IDNSET trick? It would be interesting to see how it compares... BenchVue is a free download from Keysight

You can use Rigol UltraSigma, NI-MAX or Agilent Connection Explorer to enter the CMDSET AGILENT and IDNSET AGILENT,34401A,0,1-2-3 commands before you launch BenchVue.  :-+  :popcorn:

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 01:14:13 am »

Cheers Dwaine,

I read the notes on the firmware updates of DM3068 and scratched my head thinking "Why, I reported this shit to them way over a year ago. The problem was the DM3058, not the DM3068... DM3068 worked just fine with Agilent commands, WTF?"  :-//

So yes, I asked for the latest DM3058 firmware and it is still the same not fit for purpose version as years ago. (There are plenty more problems with it than just the Agilent commands too.)

So perhaps they did take notice of my bug report and then spent the past year trying to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place on the wrong model?  :palm:

It really should be a fix that could be done in a couple of days. I can not see why it is taking over a year.  :rant:

Anyway, have you tried to use your DM3068 with Agilent BenchVue and the IDNSET trick? It would be interesting to see how it compares... BenchVue is a free download from Keysight

You can use Rigol UltraSigma, NI-MAX or Agilent Connection Explorer to enter the CMDSET AGILENT and IDNSET AGILENT,34401A,0,1-2-3 commands before you launch BenchVue.  :-+  :popcorn:

You would think that both devices would have almost the same firmware minus the different functional.  I'm actually downloading the benchvue and will test it out.  I'll post back with my results. 

I really like the Rigol DM3068.  Use it a lot

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 01:25:23 am »
You would think that both devices would have almost the same firmware minus the different functional.  I'm actually downloading the benchvue and will test it out.  I'll post back with my results. 

I really like the Rigol DM3068.  Use it a lot

You would think so, but the hardware is a lot different and despite the software and everything else looking very similar, it would appear they are written by totally different teams. I suspect the 3058 team was sacked or left years ago and nobody has a clue how it works anymore. Just looking at the firmware .LDR files will show they are completely different.

Offline iDevice

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 02:50:18 pm »
Doesn't seem to work on a 3068 V1.10.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 11:15:22 pm »
Doesn't seem to work on a 3068 V1.10.
'K Thnx

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 02:27:36 am »
I'm going to test too.  When I was installing the software.  My laptop hard drive went bad.  Getting the drive replaced tomorrow.

I'll test on another computer.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 10:17:31 am »
Before you install BenchVue you should check IDNSET actually works on the 3068. Does it change the *IDN? response.

Interestingly though this (undocumented) command has always existed on the 3058, a command like it has only just been added to the 3068 according to the 1.10 release notes.

5. Add a remote command to modify *IDN? command response data

couple that with the fixes to the READ? command at 1. 2. and its pretty obvious what Rigol are intending. Hint: The READ? command is an Agilent command not a native Rigol command.

Offline iDevice

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 02:53:27 pm »
I guess the syntax may be different on the '68.
V 1.10 release note says it has ben added but the actual command syntax is nowhere to be found...
If I try the example above for the'58, the '68 doesn't respond and the *IDN? answer stays the same afterwards.
Absence of response is not unusual as it it the same for the CMDSET command, but at least this one changes from RIGOL to AGILENT even though a timeout occured.
BTW, I tried being either in RIGOL or AGILENT command set and both fail.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 04:44:13 pm »
I guess the syntax may be different on the '68.
V 1.10 release note says it has ben added but the actual command syntax is nowhere to be found...
If I try the example above for the'58, the '68 doesn't respond and the *IDN? answer stays the same afterwards.
Absence of response is not unusual as it it the same for the CMDSET command, but at least this one changes from RIGOL to AGILENT even though a timeout occured.
BTW, I tried being either in RIGOL or AGILENT command set and both fail.

Hmm... I'm sure you have tried but maybe put the text in single or double quotes?

IDNSET "AGILENT,34401A,0,1-1-1"

Also is there a SYST:ERROR? response after the IDNSET command?

It may be another command altogether. I found IDNSET being used when sniffing data packets from the UltraSensor software which is specific for the 3058 - in that case it kept sending IDNSET RIGOL for some reason.

Perhaps do a strings dump of the firmware?

(do you have a link to the 3068 1.10 firmware and I'll have a look?)

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 12:55:24 am »
Quick look at the DM3068 firmware with the linux strings utility and plenty of plaintext stuff that looks like help file stuff, but absolutely no command set stuff. The DM3058 firmware has it all open. I guess the 3068 has it in a compressed or even encrypted format.

Also ran binwalk on the firmware and there are no file signatures with the 3068 firmware while the 3058 is packed with GIFs, JPGs, HTML stuff etc. All the commands are in plaintext.

So I guess it's worthwhile asking Rigol themselves exactly what they mean by this new command that allows the *IDN? response to be changed?  :-//

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 08:37:50 am »
I'm getting the following too for the DM3068.   I'll keep trying.   I'll also send an e-mail to Rigol asking what the remote command is and it's syntax.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 08:52:56 am »
Why not just tell Rigol that you are trying to make it work with the Agilent Data logging utility, and ask them to setup the same environment, and fix their command set to make it work rock stable? :)

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 09:35:31 am »
CMDSET does not work.   I used CMDS and that worked ok.

I also tried IDNS to see if that would work, but it did not.

Offline iDevice

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 05:03:59 pm »
Strange.
CMDSET is working for me, it does timeout, but it works...
CMDS behaves the same, change done but timeout, as I would expect as both short and long commands are the same.

IDNSet doesn't work at all, I even tried to copy the return string of my 34401A as is to no avail.

I guess we have to wait for Rigol to come back on this new feature.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 05:07:51 pm »
Dwaine - those timeout errors - are you using the "Send & Read" button? You should use just the "Send" button as there is not expected to be a response to those commands. The command terminal sits there waiting until it times out. What you can do to check if a command is successful is use the SYST:ERROR? query. Certainly if the meter beeps there has been an error. Errors are queued in a buffer, so to make sure existing errors are cleared use *CLS at the start of your session.

Generally with the SCPI command terminal if the command ends with a ? then use "Send & Read", otherwise just use "Send"

So

*CLS [Send]
*IDN? [Send & Read]
CMDS AGILENT [Send]
SYST:ERROR? [Send & Read]
IDNS AGILENT,34401A,0,1-1-1 [Send]
*IDN? [Send & Read]

As well as the IDNSET <string> command, I found there is an IDNSET? query you can try too. It returns DEFINE: or RIGOL: and the *IDN? string on the 3058.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 05:41:06 pm »
IDNSet doesn't work at all, I even tried to copy the return string of my 34401A as is to no avail.
You have a 34401A?

Well its not just Rigol who have undocumented commands, I've been sniffing the data packets between BenchVue and the DM3058 because I keep getting error beeps from the meter and connection error dialogs in BenchVue. Also to see why the live view doesn't work. There is a command ABORT constantly being sent by BenchVue which fails. This is not in the Rigol DM3058 version of the Agilent command set. It is also not documented in any 34401A manual I can find. It does exist on the newer models though.

Perhaps you can test if it is an actual 34401A command? Using the SCPI terminal:

*CLS [Send]
ABORT [Send]

If there is No Error then that is a command that Rigol should implement for compatibility. Maybe they have on the 3068? try the same but obviously after sending CMDS AGILENT and see what happens.  :-+

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 06:26:09 pm »
Thanks.  I'll try those commands.   Question.  How are you sniffing between benchvue and your 3058.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 09:57:48 pm »
Thanks.  I'll try those commands.   Question.  How are you sniffing between benchvue and your 3058.
As I was all Keithley/Agilent mode and using Connection Expert I tried using the IO Monitor which I guess you have tried too. Unfortunately it didn't seem to be working. It appears to connect OK but doesn't log the interesting stuff. Probably a PEBCAK   :-//

Using National Instruments I/O Trace instead I could see the data interchanges just fine. You should have this installed already if you installed any Rigol stuff like UltraSigma, or NI VISA etc.  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf