Author Topic: DB9 TTL to USB converter for Maynuo 9710  (Read 2196 times)

Offline ColibanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
DB9 TTL to USB converter for Maynuo 9710
« on: June 23, 2018, 04:29:55 pm »
Hello,

i purchased a Maynuo 9710 and it has a DB9 connector. Cables for this port are called "M133" and are sold for about 60€. But there are several TTL to USB converter on the market like from seed studio https://www.seeedstudio.com/RS232-to-TTL-Converter-Module-p-1684.html. Isn't it possible to take one of those since they are on around 3€?

"If Lyfe were a Thing that Monie could buy -- the Poor could not live & the Rich would not die." Quote on a gravestone from a glove maker, Scotland, 17th century

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DB9 TTL to USB converter for Maynuo 9710
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 04:51:56 pm »
The DE9 connector (not DB9) is referenced to the negative input, so a simple TTL to USB converter will connect USB ground to the device under test. This might be ok or it might lead to a disaster. The adapters this connector is intended for is isolated (optocouplers or something else). There is no smarts in the adapter (except the USB logic) so a home built adapter will work if it is designed with isolation.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 05:46:11 pm »
Converters from Maynuo are galvanically isolated, and if you take into account that, case and the fact they are ready made,  are actually not expensive.

After you account all the expense for cables, connectors, casings, isolated converter, and work to find, purchase and assemble one, it's not really worth it for just one.

Some people had luck with low power BT modules, for wireless connection... Power available on TTL RS232 port is not specified, but few tens of mA are surely there..

Anyway, you can make one just make sure it to be isolated... It it is important to avoid ground loops and big explosions ...

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 05:47:57 pm »
Another way to reach a similar result is to use a wifi module like I showed here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/maynuo-m9812-usb-to-serial-isolated-interface/msg1004163/#msg1004163. Maybe worth a thought?

Cheers,
Thomas

Offline ColibanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 05:52:15 am »
@2N3055, ok, but i don't know which ground should be isolated? Is there somewhere a circuit diagram?

@TurboTom, yes i also already thought about a WiFi solution because i don't know which ground should be isolated from what. I have already build a wireless USB connection with ZigBee to control my hexacopter without a cable, so i wouldn't have to change too much.
"If Lyfe were a Thing that Monie could buy -- the Poor could not live & the Rich would not die." Quote on a gravestone from a glove maker, Scotland, 17th century

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 06:26:14 am »
i purchased a Maynuo 9710 and it has a DB9 connector.

Chances are that it has a DE9 connector.  The B shell size is for 25 pin (most common), whereas the E shell size is used for 9 (2 rows) or 15 (3 rows aka VGA)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-subminiature

Sorry, but it's one of my pet peeves.

The following users thanked this post: Tom45

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 08:34:38 am »
@2N3055, ok, but i don't know which ground should be isolated? Is there somewhere a circuit diagram?

@TurboTom, yes i also already thought about a WiFi solution because i don't know which ground should be isolated from what. I have already build a wireless USB connection with ZigBee to control my hexacopter without a cable, so i wouldn't have to change too much.

Ok. Isolated converters have two grounds. One on the side of TTL (connected to Maynuo on DB9 connector.) and then have isolated data AND power that go to other side that has its own ground and data. That side goes to PC.
There are hundreds of sources of good information on Google searching for "isolated rs232 interface"

Offline Piefke

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 12:14:26 pm »
@TurboTom

Hi Thomas,

I wrote a PM to you, about "...Another way to reach a similar result is to use a wifi module..."
Did you received it? I'm not shure because I can't find an outgoing message folder in my profile.
Sorry, I'm a bloody newbe here.  :-)

Thanks,
Wolfgang

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 12:17:33 pm »
There are hundreds of sources of good information on Google searching for "isolated rs232 interface"

And, there are actually dozens of threads discussing this very thing right here on this forum as well, that can all be accessed through a basic search:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/rs232ttl-to-usb-isolator/msg684922/#msg684922

Offline pelule

• Frequent Contributor
  • What is business? It’s other people’s money
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 12:38:20 pm »
I planned to purchase the Maynuo m9712b.
- before I checked the option to build the M133-USB-IF on my own (lots on info here in the forum).
I came to the conclusion, it's not worth the effort just to save $60 USD (taking risk, material, case and time into account).
So I bougth the Maynuo m9712b + M133-USB-IF in a package.
/PeLuLe
You will learn something new every single day

Offline jiarui

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 05:46:11 pm »
I have a ITECH IT8511+, which has a similar TTL serial port.  I have tried the TTL to Bluetooth converter.  I was having a lot of problems on the PC to make the COMM to Bluetooth port to work right.  I could make it work for very short period, then I would lose the connection.  Eventually I purchased this isolated USB to TTL converter on Amazon.  I soldered a DIN9 connector to the board.  This worked without much problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076LNBB7P/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf