Author Topic: Deepace KC901V 6.8GHz Handheld Network Analyzer Review, Teardown & Experiments  (Read 13006 times)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
i guess they successfully lured TheSignalPath to give a good review on this stuff and he havent look this thing into more details.
This is the second time (that I am aware of) in the past few weeks which you have smeared my work due to your own ignorance and self-entitlement.

Welcome to the club :(
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
It's a wonder that you haven't made all of us insane on EEVblog forums with your level of critical thinking applied over those 8000 posts of yours.

Just so. Quantity != quality.

Occasionally he makes reasonable and reasoned points, which makes it more difficult to ignore him out-of-hand.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
This K... thing is a path they are trying out...
why not just name and shame? btw... the way i see it, this is purely mathematical, hardware only provide the values to some parameters. fringing effect can be embedded in the math formulation in the FW, its just a matter of adding it in user adjustable setting, no HW changes needed. but, correct me if i'm wrong. i would expect a reply just "we are sorry we will work on it" or some simple techical explanation on how to deal with it, but none, zilch, zero reply. it was ok when i tried to make the purchase.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
<snipped>
It's assholes like you who go around incorrectly contributing to this self-doubt with attacks on his person which are partly to blame.

It's a wonder that you haven't made all of us insane on EEVblog forums with your level of critical thinking applied over those 8000 posts of yours.

That looks a lot like a personal attack from where I stand. It was unnecessary.

Here is an excerpt from the forum rules.
2) No personal attacks. This is the biggest rule on this forum. If you don't follow it, you are not welcome here.

Understand that many people, from many countries, many cultures, and many languages use this forum. The meanings of words and the way people communicate varies enormously.

When I read the line in Mechatrommer's post "i guess they successfully lured TheSignalPath to give a good review on this stuff and he havent look this thing into more details."
I thought it was unfair to Shahriar. But "lured" is a slightly odd choice of words for a person with English as a first language.

Shahriar seems perfectly capable of defending himself. Perhaps leave it to him.

This was of course apparent to me when I wrote it, but I agree with all your points (except the one about lured -- but it's not important), and I apologize for the personal attack.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:06:59 pm by technogeeky »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
I thought it was unfair to Shahriar. But "lured" is a slightly odd choice of words for a person with English as a first language.
i'm sorry if the word is wrong, but i saw the word used when a villain tried to persuade his victim to do what he want.. it can be a fisherman to a fish, or a big guy giving candies to a children on front page of a news. victim is not to be blamed, but what is sad is when the victim says, no daddy daddy this is a good guy! in this case, i'm the 2nd level victim (the daddy) where TheSignalPath is the 1st level victim (the child). thats the way i see it up until this minute (until they the deepace try to sort this issue out)...

btw, i dont think KC901V will be entirely useless just because of the technical reason, it might be off, but i hope by just a little (hope? what a concept, i tried to be as tolerant as i can to this device allright), i will still use this device as "guesstimate" of a measurement, still better than nothing. like the rest of china products scattered around in my room, this $2K device, i'll need tweaks or workaround to make it works to the accuracy that i desire, i got used to this (i need to become a VNA designer after this by studying all the subtleties needed in order to know how much far off i am with the measurement result). this is a "you get what you pay for" device, if the company replied to my issue, i would give the product neutral rating, but since they dont answer, then its :-- just to counter balance the good review from Shariar... fwiw...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline HugoneusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
If you are unhappy with technical support from the manufacturer, you are free to post it here. I did not review their customer support, nor I could have.

This can be done without lies and attacks on me. I thought such a simple idea would be self-evident. Don’t take out your frustration by smearing my work. Behave like an adult.

There is nothing else that is needs to be said.

Thanks to those of you who understand this simple fact.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
If you are unhappy with technical support from the manufacturer, you are free to post it here. I did not review their customer support, nor I could have.

This can be done without lies and attacks on me. I thought such a simple idea would be self-evident. Don’t take out your frustration by smearing my work. Behave like an adult.

There is nothing else that is needs to be said.

Thanks to those of you who understand this simple fact.

Just to not let it get lost in the noise, please let us know if you can remember the paper detailing the history of the calibration methods mentioned in this video!

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
an update... i just browsed Deepace website and now FW 1.3.4 update for the KC901V. whats interesting is that they have implemented fringing coefficients for both Short (L0, L1, L2,L3) and Open (C0, C1, C2, C3), this is beyond expectation, as Kirkby CAL Kit only provides coefficients for Open Standard which is applicable to Agilent, R&S, Anritsu and Copper Mountain VNA. with this update, it surpasses those brand names (in that respect only) and invalidates all my previous comments on the lack of KC901V parameters (should i delete? or should i keep for historical reason?) i believe this upgrade is due to push from few KC901V owners in the Deepace BBS forum (i tried to login to give applause feedback but its in maintenance mode now) and the VNA manufacturer did listen and fullfilled their promise few months ago. 4 thumbs up to them  :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ i think i will need to contact Dr. Kirkby to ask how to obtain fringing "inductance" for my CAL kit... btw, i also just noticed Deepace already published their KC901M 9.8GHz VNA @ sub $3K http://www.deepace.net/shop/kc901m-9-8ghz-handheld-network-analyzer-rf-multimeter/ still some typo and copy paste there, but try to get the same BW from big brand names, you can lose arms and legs.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:11:57 pm by Mechatrommer »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
It's great they added them. Had anyone done any testing to see if a difference can be perceived?
I believe it's been stated many times that below maybe 6 GHz the difference is in the noise. Still, I hope you can publish some results if David can provide the inductance values.
VE7FM

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf