Author Topic: DER EE DE-5000 LCR meter with changeable cables  (Read 19894 times)

Offline ffookkaa11Topic starter

DER EE DE-5000 LCR meter with changeable cables
« on: May 17, 2016, 11:20:34 pm »
As many of you, I have also bought this DER EE DE-5000 LCR meter.

... and also, as many of you I want to change, or better to say upgrade the kelvin leads that came with the meter ... the one with the alligator clips (see below).

Now comes the idea. I want to use different shaped and sized clips (at least 2-3 different clips) with the TL-21 "adapter" and thought what if I do that by cuting off those ugly alligator clips and puting at both ends some type of female connectors. Then make those 2-3 different kelvin leads with male connectors at their ends and any time I want to use different shaped/size clips, I simply connect the desired kelvin set through these connecors together (the wires and the shielding too).

What would you guys suggest, what connectors would be good to use for this project that is not too bulky? How would you guys do this? Any other idea?

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 11:29:27 pm by ffookkaa11 »

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: DER EE DE-5000 LCR meter with changeable cables
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 02:11:29 am »
You will need some sort of triaxial connector (or you will need to break out the leads in each cable into two biaxial connectors). This will allow you to run the Force/Sense/Shield for each cable. All three will need to be connected in this case. No one has tried this before and you MIGHT introduce additional capacitance (not sure if it iwill be too much for the meter to handle, you likely can only determine that empirically).
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 02:31:09 am »
I think most agree that the alligator clips on the TL-21 adapter could have been done a bit better and I do recall somebody else modifying this unit and adding better quality leads and clips, pretty sure there is also a 4 x BNC modification floating around somewhere but it looks rather clunky, to use a number of various test leads you may also require the unit to be run through the calibration sequence on each occasion, I do this religiously when swapping between the TL-21 alligator clips and the TL-22 tweezers.

I looked at doing a similar modification using either mini XLR or microphone plugs and sockets along with some good quality two core shielded cable which I have at hand, I simply got side tracked with other projects and never got around to ordering the kelvin clips, anyway I probably should follow it up as the meter is now in constant use.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:52:44 pm by Muttley Snickers »

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 05:53:23 am »
Yep, the calibration has to be done after changing sets, that is clear, but I am lookig for a good, usefull solution for this rather than buying additional 2-3 pcs. of TL-21 and making all of them with fix connection.

Offline alfa

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 08:05:54 am »
I have desoldered the genuine clips of my TL21 and replaced them with kelvin clips bought on Fbay. ( http://www.ebay.fr/itm/LCR-Meter-Test-Leads-Lead-Clip-Cable-Terminal-Kelvin-Probe-Wires-w-4-BNC-/251680384557?hash=item3a9951e62d:g:FlgAAOxyeZNTU9mr ).

Just needs recalibration after that.
Works great.

Offline Nuno_pt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 09:15:46 am »
I've make the modification on mine to the Kelvin clips from eBay, you just have to made the short, open calibration after the mood.

I made it following this video < > or also look in this blog < http://dexterslab2013.blogspot.pt/2016/01/der-ee-de-5000-kelvin-clip-conversion.html >, it works very well.

Nuno
CT2IRY

The following users thanked this post: patman27

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 11:16:33 am »
Thanks guys for these modifications, but my question goes for using only 1 TL-21 and 2-3 Kelvin clips. Meaning using the TL-21 with some type of connector on that that allows simply changing Kelvin clips (of course after changing leads new calibration is needed, that is clear).

If I would buy for the 2-3 clips 2-3 TL-21 adaptors, there would be no question.

The question here is how to make this with using just 1 TL-21 adapter and 2-3 separate Kelvin leads!? What options could be there for making this, with what connectors, or what other usefull options could be out there for making this possible?

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 08:44:46 pm »
How about the ol' DIN connector?

The max. frequency is only 100kHz, so you could really use any connector you want.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:47:54 pm by mos6502 »
for(;;);

Offline Nuno_pt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 08:52:37 pm »
It's better to use BNC connectors, small cables x4 out of the TL-21 with 4 BNC connectors, then you just attach whatever kelvin clips you want, not how much stray will be add to the measuring with it.
Nuno
CT2IRY

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 10:49:19 pm »
I was looking at using these full metal jacket mini XLR plugs and sockets pictured below to maintain full shielding if possible, they are not cheap so making up a couple of lead sets is going to be rather expensive and again the method used in the video is still probably the best for those on a budget.

The other option was using microphone plugs and sockets as these are much cheaper and I'm sure I have seen micro sized versions of these more like a mating DC jack or simply purchase a couple of the TL-21 modules as it is less mucking about. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:52:26 pm by Muttley Snickers »

Offline hgg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 02:32:51 pm »
Just did the 4 wire upgrade.    Works fine  :-+   
No more frustration trying to fit components between the original tiny clips...   :)

Leads from ebay. 
They were a bit misaligned but if you bend only the metal tips slightly, they work great.

Cables soldered from the underside.

They also included a PCB for SMD component testing and they covered it with a sticker.  Go figure.
Photo of the back side of the PCB.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Coldblackice

Offline fitch

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 01:26:37 pm »
Where do the cable shields terminate on the clip end?  Are they connected to anything?

Thanks.

Offline hgg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 01:58:57 pm »
No, they are used only for shielding.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 05:40:50 pm »
Just did the 4 wire upgrade.    Works fine  :-+   
No more frustration trying to fit components between the original tiny clips...   :)

Leads from ebay. 
They were a bit misaligned but if you bend only the metal tips slightly, they work great.

Cables soldered from the underside.

They also included a PCB for SMD component testing and they covered it with a sticker.  Go figure.
Photo of the back side of the PCB.

nice job! Looks really good.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline markce

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 09:11:16 pm »
Now comes the idea. I want to use different shaped and sized clips (at least 2-3 different clips) with the TL-21 "adapter" and thought what if I do that by cuting off those ugly alligator clips and puting at both ends
That's exactly what I've build. I use a short 4-wire cable connected to the TL21 box, with a LEMO connector on the end. Different component connectors are used via a small interface box, each with a small LEMO connection bus.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 06:53:43 pm by markce »

Offline fitch

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 05:30:43 pm »
Does anyone know the purpose of the PCB in the top half of the TL-21?  I'm curious!

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 09:46:30 am »
IIRC, it has SMT test pads on the top side. It gave the capability to quickly test the small SMT devices without the need for test leads.

Fraser
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 09:48:30 am by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: sebalele

Offline fitch

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 12:09:55 pm »
Forgive me for being so dense, but it does not appear from the pictures that the little PCB is even connected to anything, or am I missing something?  Is it intended to replace the other (non SMT) PCB when testing SMT components?  Alas, much of this will become clear when my DE-5000 arrives from Japan!

Thanks.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 02:40:36 pm »
The SMT direct connection fixture has not been offered as a module. As such the OEM has not connected it up to the I/O terminals. No idea why this feature was deleted. Maybe it introduced measurement errors  :-//

Why the OEM chooses to still fit the unused PCB is also a mystery. Maybe just s a filler to set the correct label level ?

Fraser

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 12:38:05 am »
That's exactly what I've build. I use a short 4-wire cable connected to the TL21 box, with a LEMO connector on the end. Different component connectors are used via a small interface box, each with a small LEMO connection bus.

LEMO connectors are fantastic  :-+

Offline markce

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 11:42:36 am »
LEMO connectors are fantastic

It works very nice for more than a year now.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 11:50:02 am »
I love LEMO and Fischer connectors. Sadly quality costs though. Some of my thermal cameras use LEMO plugs that cost £45 each :scared:

When I see a LEMO or Fischer connector on equipment, I get a good hint that the designer and manufacturer was thinking quality, rather the low cost when building the unit.

Fraser

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2016, 01:35:17 pm »
I also mod my TL-21.

I bought extra TL-21 and replaced alligator probe with clip hook probe.
Pretty handy for me.
:)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:37:12 am by fanOfeeDIY »

The following users thanked this post: Coldblackice

Offline jonstomlin

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2016, 02:13:33 pm »
How is the durability and long term reliability of the DER EE DE-5000?  It seems fairly popular.  Thanks for posting this upgrade!

I'm thinking about picking one up.

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2016, 02:39:16 pm »
How is the durability and long term reliability of the DER EE DE-5000?  It seems fairly popular.  Thanks for posting this upgrade!

I'm thinking about picking one up.

Um, well, I bought the DER EE DE-5000 only because of the price. :)
Of course, when I hold them on the hand with Agilent/Keysight U173*C series, the U173*C felt much better equipment at the store in Akihabara.

However, I did not feel any guilty when I made the mod on the probe of the TL-21. That is the one of the benefit of cheaper goods. :)

By the way, if you buy DE-5000, it is good to do the CAL every time when you turn it on. It is a hassle, but it gives much reliable numbers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf