Author Topic: Seeking tips on buying generator dds arbitrary functions  (Read 2377 times)

Offline maxastutoTopic starter

• Contributor
Seeking tips on buying generator dds arbitrary functions
« on: October 27, 2016, 10:17:32 am »
 :) hello friends, seeking a tip to buy a generator dds arbitrary functions. I noticed in the various topics that are very popular models FeelTech series fy 3200 with power to 220 volts, and the FY 2300 model with the aluminum case 5 volt power supply.
I would be interested to a highest possible frequency of work (I noticed that the model FY 2300 has a version up to 60 MHz, while the FY 3224 series has a model up to maximum 25 MHz).
I also noticed that several users who bought the model of FY 3200 series (the one with the plastic houses and almost empty inside) have made a change or have replaced the power supply board (PSU). Why?
Having to choose between the two models what is the best or which has more features? (Waveforms or more arbitrary forms in more etc.etc.)
I could also opt for Model 3224S FY (which has the highest version to 25 Mhz) instead of the model Fy 2360 which instead generates up to 60 Mhz, provided however that the FY 3224S is qualitatively better and with more functions and better. but the fact of the PSU board I have strong doubts, not understanding what is the real problem.
Which one do you recommend to buy and from whom the seller gave you that there are around Chinese clones

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
Re: Seeking tips on buying generator dds arbitrary functions
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 11:07:55 am »
I also noticed that several users who bought the model of FY 3200 series (the one with the plastic houses and almost empty inside) have made a change or have replaced the power supply board (PSU). Why?
These units are very cheap and have poor performance. The modifications are small steps to improve the performance.
eg, changing from switching to linear PSU to clean up power rails which in turn reduces noise on the output.
They also change the output buffer op-amp to improve the freq response - it tracks the original waveform better

If you are serious about a Function Generator or Arbitary Waveform generator - best avoid the FeelTech
Even the Siglent will be better than the FeelTech

If you can afford it, get Keysight (New name for HP) or Rhode & Swartze - best you can get.

You get what you pay for

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 12:12:42 pm »

Thank you for the answer. It is exactly what you say but I'll settle. more like me you need a tool for hobby use and not seriously professional; between the two and what advice?

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 12:54:12 pm »
between the two and what advice?
Have a look through these threads for cheap professionally built  AWGs:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg5162-arbitary-waveforms/msg364206/#msg364206
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-dg4062-functionarbitary-waveform-generator-teardown/msg124559/#msg124559
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/review-hantek-dds-3x25-anyone-own-one/msg29937/#msg29937

I am not recommending any of them (as I do not even own a FG or AWG)

From your point of view they will do the job. Unless you are looking for really cheap (and nasty) - stay away from the FeelTech

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 02:00:23 pm »
ok, many thanks! I see  this link's... and discussion on the forum

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 05:50:59 pm »
About the FY3200 power supply: the issues are fixed if you mount a grounded power inlet and connect the 0V from the PSU to the earth pin.
If you only need a function generator then the FY3200 is an excellent choice for little money. It does pretty much the same as the Siglent SDG1000 series without a fancy display.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 06:07:03 pm »
ok, many thanks! I see  this link's... and discussion on the forum
Check out our new budget model:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg1000x-waveform-generators/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 06:42:40 pm »
ok nctnico :-+ :-+ if I choose to buy the model Fy 3200, could you explain how it makes the change or indicate some link with instructions? I saw that many users even replace the psu board ...
Modlelo of FY 2300 (the one with the houses in blue aluminum) what you think instead?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf