Author Topic: DG4000 - a firmware investigation  (Read 125179 times)

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DG4000 - a firmware investigation
« Reply #325 on: March 14, 2017, 01:12:32 am »
OK Guys, old thread but I eventually got around to doing this.  I have a DG4062 that's currently at 200 MHz with the following versions:
SW 00.01.07
FPGA 00.01.08
HW 01.03
KB 05.01

It works fine but, when I try to run the manual calibration, I get messages that tell me that some values are out of range and I'm unable to complete the Cal.  A while back, it was suggested that I drop back down to vn 01.06, run the Cal, and then go back up to 01.08 but, having read through this thread, I'd be happy to drop down to 160 MHz and run the latest firmware.

I looked for the 01.06 FW but I can't find it anywhere. Any suggestions on the best way to proceed would be appreciated.

Online RoGeorge

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #326 on: March 14, 2017, 01:38:43 am »
I looked for the 01.06 FW but I can't find it anywhere.

Maybe one of these FW is what you were looking for: http://s.go.ro/blmbni71

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #327 on: March 14, 2017, 02:20:53 am »
Thanks, I got those files.  So is the plan to:

1. Downgrade to 00.01.06
2. Run the manual calibration
3. Upgrade to 00.01.08

I understand that going to 00.01.09 will wipe the 200 MHz out and I will be stuck with the 60 MHz version.

[EDIT] I tried the upgrade but it didn't seem to take.  First I put the 00.01.06 GEL file on the USB drive and then pressed [help] as I powered up, it seemed to start taking stuff from the drive but, after 15 minutes, only 1 extra light was on so I gave up, it booted but the version was still the same - how long does it take to upgrade and what light status indicates it's finished?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:05:36 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline Andrusca

• Contributor
« Reply #328 on: May 25, 2017, 12:31:08 am »
Hello Cybernet and friends,
Hope you can give me some advice about how to bring back to life my DG4062!

I have a DG4062 that I modded to DG4162 (with firmware 01.08) with the .CEN file because initially I had Firmware bootloader version 04. That worked like charm until I recently decided to finally upgrade firmware to the current last version (01.12). The reason for that was I have to control the generator using Labview via Ethernet and I was having an avoidable error when uploading an arbitrary waveform after an instrument reset and also having random Ethernet disconnection-connection events which prevent me from operating the instrument remotely in a comfortable way.  The firmware release notes explain that some SCPI and LXI issues were fixed since 01.08 so I thought it was the right time to do a firmware upgrade to try to solve my problems.

First, I power up the instrument with a thumb drive containing the bootloader .GEL file (ver 06). Al light end up on and then instruments self-reset and self-powered up again. I then power down the instruments but I foolishly   :palm: forget to replace the bootloder .GEL  with the firmware .GEL before I power up the instrument again. When I power up the instrument, some lights started to blink in a strange pattern and after 20 minutes of no activity progress I sadly had to power it off. I then replaced the .GEL file in the thumb drive and powered up the DG4K but the upgrade process again is stuck with only the "Ramp" button flashing over and over forever. Of course, DG4K is not also booting normally so it is bricked   :palm: :palm: :palm:.

I am now realizing that the FPGA firmware of my DG4K is corrupted and I think that the only way to make it function again is to reflash the FPGA with a fresh memory dump. It could be any version of DG4062 previous to 01.09, so I can make the DG4162 upgrade and also change the serial number in the source code to make it coincide with mine. I don't know if all of  that is possible and also if it is going to solve the problem.
So I would really appreciate your help and advice about which would be the most appropriate way to proceed.

Many thanks
Andrés

Offline nrxnrx

• Supporter
« Reply #329 on: May 25, 2017, 01:37:06 am »
Since the bootloader is likely ok, you can try the procedure here:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dg4062-fw-update-non-respomsive-issue/msg945488/#msg945488

If that doesn't work, try pressing Help 3 times at boot (instead of just once), since that works with other rigol products.

Offline Andrusca

• Contributor
« Reply #330 on: May 25, 2017, 10:00:04 am »
Thanks nrxnrx very much!
Following your advice, I have solved the problem in the following way:

1) First, I noticed that every time I put the stick with the firmware .GEL, it seemed that the firmware update process always started ok but (perhaps because I had previously used the bootloader .GEL twice) it invariable ended stuck with the first light blinking (Ramp). I was always using an old brandless 64MB drive.
2)  I full formatted another stick drive, a 2GB Kingstone DataTraveller II. Then I copied the firmware .GEL file.
3) Surprisingly, this thumb drive was not recognized by the instrument as it only lit up Mod, Utility and Store buttons. This is just what describes Rigol in its DG4000 Firmware Upgrade Procedure. pdf file. Notice that this drive was and is recognized under the Store menu by the DG4K.
4) I full formatted my original 64MB thumb drive and copied the .GEL file again.
5) Yet more surprisingly, the update process then advanced further the Ramp button and ended successfully! :phew:
6) I suspect that having used the "incompatible" thumb drive may reset the previously perturbed update sequence and allowed me to start a fresh new one  :-//.

Now I have the instrument working, upgraded to version 01.12 and keeping the DG4162 model!!   :clap: :clap:

I hope my painful experience can help someone in the future. :-+

I have one last question: Now with firmware 01.12, would I be able to do the factory reset calibration to get a flat output beyond 60MHz (the bandwidth of my original DG4062)?

Many thanks,
Andrés

The following users thanked this post: kado, nrxnrx

Offline tkarlmann

« Reply #331 on: June 09, 2017, 08:21:00 am »
I'm new to all this, and I'm seeing 14 pages of notes to this thread.  I also noted that the early recommendation of the Amontec JTAGkey seems to be no longer possible, as the company is no longer in business.
https://startingelectronics.org/articles/embedded-tools/amontec-info/ See link at left.

I'm starting virtually from scratch, and will need all the assistance I can get, although I've been an EE for 30+ years.  I now have a DS1052E, which also needs to be modded, and I am planning on outfitting a home lab.  Is such a procedure available?  Thanks.  I would like to start with the DG4062, and upgrade it when possible.  For now, I'd like to do these mods.  Can I make it look like the DG4202?  Can I calibrate it to the limits of the DG4202? 

Also, I will be buying new equipment with whatever firmware is current.  I will get: DS1054Z, DS2072A, DG4062, DM3068, and DP832, with a strong look at Rigol's new DL3031A.

All help Appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 08:32:25 am by tkarlmann »

Offline thlee

• Contributor
« Reply #332 on: February 11, 2018, 06:38:04 pm »
I bought rigol DG4062 with the serial number DG4Exxxxxxxxx. The software version is 00.01.12 with that new boot loader.  I want to hack my signal generator to DG4162. Is it possible to hack?

I read the previous messages from the forum. May I downgrade the firmware version to 00.01.07 or below, then to change the model number to DG4162? After that, the re-calibration is performed before I upgrade it to the lastest firmware. Are these correct procedures to hack DG4062? I do not fully understand how to perform the downgrading procedures(including boot loader) .  Could anyone give me advice?

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #333 on: March 02, 2018, 02:17:05 am »
Trying to run the online compile on post #104 but first I had to fill in Project>Compile Options (and run options) and. after compiling, there's no file to download.  Can anyone help?

Online TurboTom

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #334 on: May 13, 2018, 08:07:54 am »
Apparently, there's new firmware available for the DG4000 series on http://www.rigol.com/File/ProductSoftWare/20180509/DG4000(DSP)update.rar (01.14.00.01 vs. 01.12.00.02). Has anybody been successful installing this file on his DG4000? I didn't succees as yet, and I don't really believe that all of my thumb drives are incopatible (tested about five of my older ones that run well with an operating DG4000 as a storage device. Just for information, my DG4102 hasn't been tampered with (too new model, the patch isn't working...   :( ).

Cheers,
Thomas

Offline PeDre

« Reply #335 on: May 13, 2018, 03:31:30 pm »
Hello Thomas,

I have updated from firmware 00.01.12.00.00.02 to the current 00.01.14.00.01.
My generator was an original DG4062, changed to DG4162. I always installed all available updates. A 2 GB USB stick was used.

You have to press the Help key very early for the update, even before the logo appears.

When the system information is displayed, you can display the extended information. To do this, press the first, third and fifth keys in succession, from the vertical grey keys.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 06:03:58 pm by PeDre »

The following users thanked this post: TurboTom

Online TurboTom

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #336 on: May 13, 2018, 09:09:06 pm »
Thanks Peter,

I finally managed to dig out a really ancient 512MB thumb drive, and -- surprise, surprise -- with that I was finally able to update the firmware. I tested with many different thumb drives from 4 to 32GB that all were detected and usable during normal operation of the generator, but they all failed at updating the firmware.

Unfortunately, it appears that none of the bugs / annoyances that bugger me most with this generator had been addressed. In pulse mode, the nasty 4µs runt pulse of half selected amplitude is still there when changing the pulse width. The encoder response (even/constant/predictable number of increments per detent) hasn't been improved at all. And Rigol didn't bother to have a go at the menu structure to select built-in arbitrary waveforms.

So my recommendation to all those out there shopping for a middle-range AWG, don't even spend a thought on this one, it's still crap and probably wouldn't receive any substantial improvements anymore. I'ld be happy to be proven wrong, though.

Cheers,
Thomas

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf