Author Topic: I wish all test lead probes had threads for accessories like Probe Master!  (Read 599 times)

Offline TomKattTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Just got myself a set of Probe Master 8000 series "softie" test leads.  As nice as the probes are themselves, what I really love are the large assortment of accessories available - especially the screw-on alligator clips and spring hooks.  I use alligator clips and hooks all the time for no-handed measurements, and the ones that friction fit on the probe tip inevitably get loose and they fall off with the lightest movement.  The screw-on clips and hooks are nice and solid, and every Probe Master part has a nice quality fit & finish.  I'm a bit surprised this style of threaded probe tip is not more common.  I was hoping that these accessories would also fit Dave's BM235 leads, but it looks like those threads are smaller 2mm while the Probe Master threads are 4mm...  The Brymen screw-on banana adapters seem to disappear when you take your eyes off them - the idea is nice, but they got misplaced too easily.

While not threaded, their scope probes also have a very large assortment of accessories available.  So in addition to getting high quality made in the US leads, the shear number of options is almost worth the price of admission.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 06:35:01 pm by TomKatt »
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PIC

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: I wish all test lead probes had threads for accessories like Probe Master!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 06:57:17 pm »
I was hoping that these accessories would also fit Dave's BM235 leads, but it looks like those threads are smaller 2mm while the Probe Master threads are 4mm... 

The ProbeMaster threads are #8-32 UNC, apparently -- not for users on this side of the pond...
The probes that came with my Brymen 257s have M2.5 threads.

Offline TomKattTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 07:04:47 pm »
That's too bad.  But I am surprised that this design has not become more universally popular - it really works quite well.
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PIC

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 07:12:51 pm »
A pity they didn't agree on one thread size. But ProbeMaster might have been first, and maybe Brymen (or whoever makes their probes) preferred a metric thread?

I do agree that the Brymen banana adapters are very easy to lose. I still have both of mine, after several years of use -- but only after I retrieved one of them from a corner on the floor of a friend's lab, when I visited him again weeks later...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf