Author Topic: Differences Between Brymen BM-257 and BM-829  (Read 42972 times)

Offline LocatorTopic starter

• Contributor
Differences Between Brymen BM-257 and BM-829
« on: June 10, 2014, 01:41:49 am »
Can someone tell me the differences between these two multimeters? Is the 829 more accurate? More features?

I believe the 829 is also physically larger?

Thanks.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: Differences Between Brymen BM-257 and BM-829
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 03:40:43 am »
As already given to you in your other thread, here is the the link to the Brymen spec sheets:
http://brymen.com/product-html/index.html#Digital-Multimeter

Yes, the 829 is bigger, has higher counts, more segments to the bar graph, dual temperature, higher accuracy, AC+DC TRMS, dBm, and probably a couple of other things I forget. It is worth the extra money if any of these things matter to you. If not, then the BM257 is a great meter that does almost everything most people would need.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 05:17:48 am »
I'm also hoping to get some feedback, such as some accuracy comparison, maybe comments on continuity testing speed, any quirks in one over the other, etc.

I'm a novice with multimeters at this point and have only used them for some basic uses. I'm not sure I'm understanding all the specs listed on some of those spec sheets. Would love some of it distilled in an explanation while I'm figuring this out.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:27:05 am by Locator »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 06:42:37 am »
I'm also hoping to get some feedback, such as some accuracy comparison, maybe comments on continuity testing speed, any quirks in one over the other, etc.

I'm a novice with multimeters at this point and have only used them for some basic uses. I'm not sure I'm understanding all the specs listed on some of those spec sheets. Would love some of it distilled in an explanation while I'm figuring this out.
Too broad IMHO.

If you've questions, ask. Just be more specific.  ;) Members will be better able to help. There are also threads on both of the meters you're interested in. So searching and giving them a read might speed things up, and the effort tends to be appreciated (helps with the "instant gratification for the lazy" complaint).

BTW, PM sent.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 08:27:38 am »
The 829 is a more expensive meter and thus will have better specs and more features then the 257.
The meters are listed in this spreadsheet, for easy comparison:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/multimeter-spreadsheet/

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 02:43:03 am »
If you can't decide based on the specs and your level of knowledge, then get the 829 if you can/want to spend $200 or get the 257 if you can't/don't want to spend that much. It is that simple. With the other information provided it really is that simple.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 05:00:05 am »
A little more info on what I plan to use the MM for - I left all of this out, since I figured it would be a bit laborious to go into the details. They are needed, so I should have included them. In addition to general, around-the-house uses, I would like to buy various electronic kits to build with my daughter. Things like radios, transmitter, etc. I would need to be able to test circuits, components and of course, batteries.

The thermocouple would be used for various things, but would also be used to test brew temperatures for coffee machines.

The AC testing I would need would not be real high voltage, nor anything complex. Just house current, possibly 220 at times, test sockets, switches, outlets, etc.

I have no plans to test multiphase industrial AC motors, generators or other commercial applications.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 06:16:55 am »
The 829 is a more expensive meter and thus will have better specs and more features then the 257.
The meters are listed in this spreadsheet, for easy comparison:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/multimeter-spreadsheet/

Wytnucls,

By the way, I meant to say earlier, that's a fantastic workup you did. It's very generous of you to take the time to create that for others.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 07:18:49 am »
The BM257 should be more than adequate for your intended use. Being smaller, it will also be less intimidating for your daughter. Now, if only Brymen had a pink version...

Offline Mr Simpleton

• Supporter
  • Not the sharpest knife in the drawer
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 08:02:14 am »
Having both the BM257 and the 867 I find them both excellent. BUT one thing is really like having a pebble in the shoe, BM257 do not have its OFF at the end of turning the dial... this really irritates me :(  |O

I see the 829 has this "feature" too

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 06:32:01 pm »
I think I'll go with the 257 and then get something like an 869 or Fluke 87V, later.

Mr. Simpleton - I noticed that, too and it bothered me, as well. Seems odd that they would put the off position in an illogical position.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 08:54:31 pm »
Agilent has done the same on their flagship meter (U1272A). Probably to avoid confusion with the other voltage selections.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:56:42 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline JFA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 11:08:45 pm »
Differences?
Guy:
let's analyse specs, tolerances, ranges, functions, reaction time, accuracy, temperature drift,
and after careful comparison, and evaluating the most likely uses, we'll make a well thought out decision.

Girls:
Mmmm...  Colors, words, LCD display, casing, switches, contact points / connectors, packaging, instruction manual, owners.

Let's pick  the prettiest !

|O

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 02:35:10 am »
I think I'll go with the 257 and then get something like an 869 or Fluke 87V, later.

You can't go wrong with the BM257 nor the BM829, nor the BM52X nor BM86X for that matter. I believe that once you have one, one will not be enough!  >:D

Offline JFA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 04:35:04 am »
I just bought a Greenlee DM-860A which seems to be the Brymen 869.
I wrote to Brymen to ask for their distributors in North America and they sent me to Greenlee.
They mark up the price, but they give a good warranty (lifetime? can't remember) and they offer the calibrated or uncalibrated version.
http://www.greenlee.com/products/DMM-500K-COUNTS-%28DM%2540d860A%29.html?product_id=19551

I paid $425 CND; it was horrendously marked-up compared to the South-East Asian prices (around $280 USD / $310 CND).
However, I figured that the Greenlee name might provide me with better (and local) service if ever it goes bonkers.

BTW, have you seen the video of the guy who tests a Brymen
DM869 at 5,000 overload voltage? That critter seems to indicate voltages up to 1.8kV !
2500V vs a UT61E, guess who wins? Bonus: 5000V vs a Brymen BM869

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 05:03:45 am »
BTW, have you seen the video of the guy who tests a Brymen
DM869 at 5,000 overload voltage? That critter seems to indicate voltages up to 1.8kV !
2500V vs a UT61E, guess who wins? Bonus: 5000V vs a Brymen BM869

"The guy" is our very own Lightages, one post right above yours ;)
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline JFA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 05:08:12 am »
Small world !  :-+

The more I surf this forum, the more I am amazed by the people. 

Dave really attracted an amazing bunch !

Offline unbiased

• Contributor
Re: BM-829S = Greenlee DM830A
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 07:14:43 pm »
This thread is a few months old but I was searching for BM-829 and came upon it.  I had just bought the Greenlee DM-830A which is the same as the BM-829S from an ebay seller. I could not pass up the deal for the low price I saw it for plus he accepted my lower price offer.  Just got it, brand spankin' new and from what I can tell it is the latest revision as the BM-829 "S" model.  I got it for total of $152.88 USD with shipping cost!!! Is that a good price or what? Everywhere else I look for the BM-829 the prices are higher.  So I figured, I will throw this info out there for anyone still looking for a great BM-829S but in the Greenlee branded name.  It is all new and original from what I got.  There was about 4 left in stock last time I looked. I took a few pics of it, inside and outside for y'all to see and evaluate:

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 07:19:30 pm by unbiased »
You don't know what you don't know until you know it.

Offline unbiased

• Contributor
Re: Brymen BM-829S = Greenlee DM830A size vs BM-869S
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 10:27:40 pm »
Here's a picture of the Greenlee DM-830A which is a rebadged Brymen BM-829S showing it is the same size as the high end Brymen BM-869S multimeter.
It is a large meter! I just bought these two new and so have them to compare side by side to show the size.  They are both the same shape and same casing it seems.

Online Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 02:05:24 am »
Differences?
Guy:
let's analyse specs, tolerances, ranges, functions, reaction time, accuracy, temperature drift,
and after careful comparison, and evaluating the most likely uses, we'll make a well thought out decision.

Girls:
Mmmm...  Colors, words, LCD display, casing, switches, contact points / connectors, packaging, instruction manual, owners.

Let's pick  the prettiest !

|O

I know some young ladies more nerdy than most here.  Yes they may want it pink, but they can read and use the specs as well as any nerds here.  One young lady was doing her multiplication table when she was at 4.  She just graduated from MIT this past summer.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 02:15:16 am »
This thread is a few months old but I was searching for BM-829 and came upon it.  I had just bought the Greenlee DM-830A which is the same as the BM-829S from an ebay seller. I could not pass up the deal for the low price I saw it for plus he accepted my lower price offer.  Just got it, brand spankin' new and from what I can tell it is the latest revision as the BM-829 "S" model.  I got it for total of $152.88 USD with shipping cost!!! Is that a good price or what? Everywhere else I look for the BM-829 the prices are higher.  So I figured, I will throw this info out there for anyone still looking for a great BM-829S but in the Greenlee branded name.  It is all new and original from what I got.  There was about 4 left in stock last time I looked. I took a few pics of it, inside and outside for y'all to see and evaluate:

Anyone looking for a really good multimeter in the $150 price range who doesn't buy one of these before they are gone is crazy. Such a good buy, except the seller has only 4 feedback so far. I would buy one if I didn't already have more meters than I need.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 03:47:26 pm by Lightages »

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 11:06:07 am »

Anyone looking for a really good multimeter in the $150 price range who doesn't buy one of these before their gone is crazy. Such a good buy, except the seller has only 4 feedback so far. I would buy one if I didn't already have more meters than I need.

I'm considering buying one, but the low seller feedback...  :(

Offline unbiased

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 03:28:39 am »
Well, I took the chance and bought it from them.  I later now found out that the dealer is called AmericaTools which also shows up on amazon.com.  But their price on amazon.com is higher! I can say that I left them positive feedback because they sent the meter as described, new with all the kit parts, probes, temp sensor, and nice carrying bag! For the price, I could not find anywhere lower for this meter.  It is brand new.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 12:00:02 pm »
I need another multimeter like I need a hole in my side (can one have too many multimeters?), so it's deciding between this Greenlee 830 or an Amprobe AM270 from amazon...
 :-//

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 03:32:16 pm »
Without a doubt, the Greenlee 830 is the better meter and the better buy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf