Author Topic: Digilent Analog Discovery 2  (Read 15059 times)

Offline R_G_B_

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Digilent Analog Discovery 2
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2018, 10:01:36 am »
Capabilities of this are impressive. Because 20 years ago something like this box of tricks would have cost thousands.  I think the scripting capabilitiy gives this an edge compared to other oscilloscopes..... Shame about the front end ...still a good bit of kit for the flexibility and portability. Not sure about the impedance analyser add on board i think it just switches in resistor values. Jax bird made a very good hardware version It really did enhance the capabilities of the AD compared to a dedicated network analyser I believe it performed just as well...there was a post in this forum comparing it with a hoki network analyser I think it was. Anyway the scripting capabilities make it very versatile.
Instead of Having to use a different instrument for different task which can be frustrating takes up a lot of time and space.
R_G_B

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2018, 07:34:15 pm »
Discovered non-obvious (at least for me) property of AD2. In Min-Max (or Peak Detect etc) mode ADC will run at full 100MSa/s. Eg you can reliably see seldom pulses otherwise out of reach with tiny 2x16kSa memory.

That's what peak detect is for. Essentially, it helps fighting aliasing. All good oscilloscopes have this mode of operation.

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2018, 07:42:48 pm »
That's what peak detect is for. Essentially, it helps fighting aliasing. All good oscilloscopes have this mode of operation.

Of course, it was just non-obvious that this little box with clumsy BNC adapter card would have this. On some scopes peak detect is just Min-Max on normal record and ADC will not run at full speed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf