Author Topic: DMMCheck Plus now available  (Read 10382 times)

Offline RyzonTopic starter

DMMCheck Plus now available
« on: September 21, 2018, 04:46:02 pm »
Hey everyone,

I received a message from Doug Malone less than two hours ago that a limited run of the DMMCheck Plus has initiated on a first-come first-serve basis:

“Thank you for your inquiry.  A DMMCheck Plus limited production run is in-process now with shipping starting November 1 after assembly, test, and aging is complete.  Orders can be placed now via our online store and will ship in the order that are received.
Regards,
Doug”

For those not familiar with this device, it is a precision reference for AC and DC voltage and current, Frequency for either one or an optional second frequency, and Resistance using four 0.1%, 10ppm precision resistors, all on a compact 3” x 3” board with an optional enclosure.  Doug stopped making these a few years back, but looks like maybe had a limited run or two afterward, which I ended up missing.  So, he was kind enough to alert me of this run, and I wanted to put it out there for others that I noticed had been searching too for a second hand copy or another production run.  Hope anyone interested is able to get theirs before his quota is hit.  I have no idea how many Doug plans to make this run, so I cannot help there, but I see at this very moment that not more than 13 can be added to the cart in his online store.  I personally ordered two!  :-+
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:19:30 pm by Ryzon »

The following users thanked this post: 001, jimdeane, threephase

Offline MiDi

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DMMCheck Plus now available
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 12:35:13 am »
Not a bad deal, shipping is 23.50$ to germany, thats quite cheap from US...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 01:00:12 am by MiDi »

Offline noidea

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 01:24:25 am »
Thanks for the heads up, there's one less available now :-)
It will be handy for a reality check between all the different meters I have collected over the years. I thought there used to be an issue with shipping to Australia but my order went through ok

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 02:22:39 am »
I just bought one also....

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 02:48:42 am »
Always meant to get one, so leapt on it this time.  :)

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 04:58:31 pm »
Always meant to get one, so leapt on it this time.  :)

Yep same here, I'm not missing out this time - ordered.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 08:37:24 pm »
Bought a 2nd - it was my birthday yesterday

The following users thanked this post: 001

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 04:37:55 pm »
Bought a 2nd - it was my birthday yesterday

Haha, I thought about getting a second too as I have had mine aging. Think I'll pass for now but they are really nice tools.

Offline cvanc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 08:12:40 pm »
I got one from the last production run he made.

Anyone who's on the fence, really, buy this.  It's a remarkable device for the money.

Offline Jackson

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 03:31:07 pm »
Just put in an order for one. They were marked as sold out yesterday, but Doug added some more stock this morning. Shipping date now estimated as November 18th.

The following users thanked this post: jimdeane

Offline jimdeane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 03:40:31 pm »
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I hemmed and hawed about buying one of these for a couple of years, and when I went to buy one -- he had stopped making them.  I kicked myself for some time over that.

There were still some in stock when I ordered a moment ago. THANK YOU AGAIN!

Offline Jackson

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 10:07:45 pm »
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I hemmed and hawed about buying one of these for a couple of years, and when I went to buy one -- he had stopped making them.  I kicked myself for some time over that.

There were still some in stock when I ordered a moment ago. THANK YOU AGAIN!

:-+ Glad you could grab one. I've been wanting to get one myself for several months (I got almost all of my test equipment off a guy on craigslist last winter). Was worried when they went on sale over the weekend while I was out of town and sure enough, by Tuesday they were out of stock. I'm grateful that he added some more stock to the store this morning. He's going to have a very busy October and November assembling and ageing all those references.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 07:19:44 am »
Out of stock!  :'(
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline sequoia

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 07:29:09 am »
I've had a PentaRef for a while, liked it so much ordered this one as well (couple days ago)... Glad that didn't wait any longer.

Website has this notice now "A DMMCheck Plus limited production run is in process.  Orders placed on or after September 26 will start shipping on approximately November 18.  We apologize for the slow delivery.", so maybe there is hope that more stock will be available soon...

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 08:36:42 am »
Yes,,,, we can hope buddy!  ???

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 03:26:17 pm »
Ordered a second and sent it to a friend.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 04:26:14 pm »
I've had a PentaRef for a while, liked it so much ordered this one as well (couple days ago)... Glad that didn't wait any longer.

Website has this notice now "A DMMCheck Plus limited production run is in process.  Orders placed on or after September 26 will start shipping on approximately November 18.  We apologize for the slow delivery.", so maybe there is hope that more stock will be available soon...
I gather some of that is because of the 250 hour ageing process.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Jackson

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 05:35:21 pm »

That was posted when he put the second batch up for sale yesterday morning that has apparently sold out. If he does add more stock now I would imagine deliveries will be into Dec (or Jan if he takes time off for the holidays).

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2018, 05:43:37 pm »

I assume Doug is pacing the orders to avoid the process becoming a grind. I was always my assumption that's why he halted orders before.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2018, 08:09:34 pm »

I assume Doug is pacing the orders to avoid the process becoming a grind. I was always my assumption that's why he halted orders before.

Cool, i'll keep an eye out for more becoming available. Thanks for the heads up...

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2018, 10:01:59 pm »
Really glad most people here were able to get one.  Hopefully, Terry01, that you will be able to get one soon too.  I waited a few years myself, as I was late to the initial party, then missed at least one subsequent run that was made.  I ended up finally reaching out to Doug when my standing search on eBay remained unfulfilled for many months.  He was so very kind to alert me to the new run.

I would also suggest giving consideration to his 10v .003% reference too. They are fantastic, and I just purchased a second one.  I also have one of Ian Johnston’s PDVS2 variable voltage references; however, those are pretty pricey, but well worth the cost.  Nice to have a few references to help gauge whether the reference or your meter has drifted.

Best regards everyone!  :box:

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2018, 12:42:18 pm »
I messaged the guy who makes them(Doug) and he said there will be more available "mid-November-ish" and he'll drop me a line when they become available. I thought that was nice of him as he's probably a busy man!
So I'll  just wait for a mail in 6 weeks or so. I did look at the other precision 0-10v but at £330 it's a bit more expensive and TBH I don't need that kind of precision over the full 0-10v range. I just need something that will give me a quick check if I need it.

I'll probably end up with both but what the heck eh?  :palm:

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2018, 01:30:07 pm »
Great to hear,Terry01!  :clap:

Regarding voltage references, it’s a shame he doesn’t have the PentaRef available.  Those are pretty accurate, good resolution, relatively inexpensive, and you can select the five voltage values you want. Hope he starts making them again at some point!  :D

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2018, 02:53:47 pm »
Great to hear,Terry01!  :clap:

Regarding voltage references, it’s a shame he doesn’t have the PentaRef available.  Those are pretty accurate, good resolution, relatively inexpensive, and you can select the five voltage values you want. Hope he starts making them again at some point!  :D

Thanks  :)

You could maybe drop him a mail about the PentaRef asking if he will make any more in the future. He was very nice in his reply to me and kind enough to say he'd let me know when the next batch will be available for sale so I am sure he would do the same for yourself if he intends to make more of the PentaRef.
He's for sure a nice enough guy.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2018, 04:48:00 pm »
Doug is a class act. Very pleasant to deal with!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf