Author Topic: DP832 "Timer and Delayer" and templets - can it do AC?  (Read 1187 times)

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
DP832 "Timer and Delayer" and templets - can it do AC?
« on: May 07, 2016, 12:05:58 AM »
Hi,

Looking through the manual I noticed an area (page 2-15) that talks about Timer and Delayer and that there are things called templets that can build a waveform.  Does this mean you can do AC voltage on the DP832.  One of them is sinewave.

Thanks,

Alan

Online LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DP832 "Timer and Delayer" and templets - can it do AC?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 01:24:52 AM »
Hi,

Looking through the manual I noticed an area (page 2-15) that talks about Timer and Delayer and that there are things called templets that can build a waveform.  Does this mean you can do AC voltage on the DP832.  One of them is sinewave.

Thanks,

Alan

If I remember correctly, the minimum time and granularity for each step is 1 second, so you can do AC, kinda (fractions of Hz).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 02:27:07 AM by LaurentR »

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 05:11:44 AM »
That would be pretty slow AC.  I wonder if the templet can somehow make a wave where the times are sub 1s - what would be the point of making such a thing if it couldn't?

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 09:21:30 AM »
I think I remember seeing that if you control the voltage steps through the programming interface you can get a little better than 1 second, but not that much better. Still talking fraction of a hertz. While you can make something that kind of resembles a waveform, it in no way competes with a waveform generator. You would probably have more luck making something that looks like a waveform by just manually turning the voltage up and down.

They have templets named things like sine, but because of the step granularity its not going to look (or be) anything like a real sine wave. More like a stair step waveform that kind of follows a sinusoidal  like pattern. I briefly played with the templets when I first got my DP832 just to see whats its like, and again, its in no way a replacement for even the cheapest of waveform generators.

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 09:29:48 AM »
That would be pretty slow AC.  I wonder if the templet can somehow make a wave where the times are sub 1s - what would be the point of making such a thing if it couldn't?
Actually, the use for the features is going the other way. 1 step/sec just happens to be the minimum you can set it to. People that would actually need the feature I'm sure would be setting the steps to be longer than 1 sec in most cases. The DP832 is a DC Power Supply, but you can still set it to ramp up/ramp down power to your circuit for testing purposes. Its not intended to replicate an AC Power Supply.

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 10:39:08 AM »
From the Rigol DP800 User Guide Spec Section.

I guess the fastest you could change steps programmatically would be the Command Processing Time plus the Voltage Programming Control Speed.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 11:45:10 PM »
Thanks, that clears it up all right!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf