Author Topic: DP832 output tracking  (Read 2249 times)

Offline horstTopic starter

DP832 output tracking
« on: June 10, 2016, 03:44:51 pm »
Hello everybody!

Thanks to Daves videos I just bought a Rigol DP832 Lab PSU.
I really like it so far but there's one thing that bothers me a bit.
I always thought that if I set it to tracking mode, it will not only track the set voltages but also the ouput voltages, meaning that if one channel is in constant current mode, the other channel will track its voltage.
From what I know now, it doesn't work like that. It just tracks the set voltages. Am I right?

That would be such a pity. I'm mostly working on audio circuits and it would be nice to have that option, for example for some opamp circuits where one failing power rail would cause the opamp to blow...
Is there at least some workaround for this? Like some option, hidden in the shadows of some menu?

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Cheers
Horst

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DP832 output tracking
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 06:44:27 pm »
From the DP800 User guide

"The track function only tracks the voltage setting value and the actual output voltage will not be affected."

The manual mentions this multiple times.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 07:33:15 pm »
From the DP800 User guide

"The track function only tracks the voltage setting value and the actual output voltage will not be affected."

The manual mentions this multiple times.

Yes, I read that. Sorry, maybe I didn't ask the question the right way.
I wanted to know if there is some other way to do this. There are a lot of functions in this power supply and I was somehow hoping that there is some hidden feature that I'm not aware of.

Online TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 08:50:02 pm »
It appears that currently there's no way to accomplish this. My approach would have been to enable synchronous switch on/off of the synchronized channels and then enable an overcurrent shutdown on both channels. If the overcurrent limiter trips on any of the two channels, it should take out both channels (since the switch on/off function SHOULD BE syncronized) -- but it doesn't  ::) . Only the channel where the overcurrent condition is sensed is shut down, the other one stays enabled. It seems the synchronized switching function actually only supports manual turning on/off of the synchronized channels. Room for firmware improvement it seems...

Cheers,
Thomas

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 09:07:07 pm »
It appears that currently there's no way to accomplish this. My approach would have been to enable synchronous switch on/off of the synchronized channels and then enable an overcurrent shutdown on both channels. If the overcurrent limiter trips on any of the two channels, it should take out both channels (since the switch on/off function SHOULD BE syncronized) -- but it doesn't  ::) . Only the channel where the overcurrent condition is sensed is shut down, the other one stays enabled. It seems the synchronized switching function actually only supports manual turning on/off of the synchronized channels. Room for firmware improvement it seems...

Cheers,
Thomas

Yes, that would be a good way to do it actually. I will write an email to Rigol, it shouldn't be a big deal to implement this in the next firmware update.
Let's hope somebody is reading the mails from customers  ^-^

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf