Author Topic: DP832A output  (Read 12792 times)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: DP832A output
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2019, 12:55:03 pm »
A low PSU noise helps when working on analog circuits. Chances are you are looking at the signals from the circuit and not the noise which the PSU pushes into your oscilloscope.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: s8548a

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2019, 02:06:32 pm »

Despite the higher rated noise (1mV rms) than its little brothers (350uV rms), measurements show the actual noise is way lower than 350uV even.

sorry for an off topic noob question.

What kind of applications needs like these low psu noise? is there any specification/document available regarding different PARD requirements for different applications?

A field that nees VERY low PSU noise are precision oscillators. All the PSU noise and ripple can show up as unwanted phase noise or sidebands in the oscillator output.

The following users thanked this post: s8548a

Offline stroh90

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2019, 02:20:30 pm »
I have a DP832, bought it 4 years ago.

It also has horrible output spikes on powerup. Batronix and Rigol claimed it was normal. I haven't bought anything from Batronix or Rigol since.

Why people still consider this piece of junk is a mystery to me. It has many documented problems.

However, if you want an expensive, noisy battery charger, it works well enough.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2019, 02:31:06 pm »
Why blame Batronix? They were correct that this flaw is normal for this PSU.

Offline stroh90

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2019, 03:58:41 pm »
Ermmm…

Are you saying that retailers have no responsibility for the products they supply??

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2019, 04:05:02 pm »
It depends on what you asked them. If you asked them if this was normal you received the correct answer. If you asked for a refund or similar then you might have reason to complain depending on the circumstances.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2019, 04:28:39 pm »
It depends on what you asked them. If you asked them if this was normal you received the correct answer. If you asked for a refund or similar then you might have reason to complain depending on the circumstances.
Some suppliers are very quick to say a problem is normal behaviour. Overshoot on a power supply when it is turned on is never normal behaviour -period- so in this case the answer from Batronix was misleading.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline MrFox

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2019, 05:44:42 pm »
I got a dp832 a few months ago, despite knowing before hand about the limitations at cold-boot from the mechanical switch. It's a compromise to be aware of, I guess. Same for the big output capacitance, which needs to be taken into consideration when using it for CC.

I haven't found any other PSU with the capabilities I needed unless I pay two or three times the price. And for me in canada the rigol distributors (electro-meters) are the most amazing people I ever had to deal with for support and claims.

I would have prefered the keysight, but it's $2000 CAD versus $600 for the rigol.

Offline netdudeuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2019, 07:08:30 pm »
I have a dp832 hacked to A, ch3 goes to 5.3V, overall very sturdy, but be prepared to change the fan, it's noisy.

DP832 to DP832A ?

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2019, 05:33:38 pm »
I have a dp832 hacked to A, ch3 goes to 5.3V, overall very sturdy, but be prepared to change the fan, it's noisy.

DP832 to DP832A ?
I think he means that everything but the (weird) display format is as per the A.  Google 'riglol' and see that there's a site that can give you the keys needed to turn on all A-style features but the display stays the same as the non-A version.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2019, 06:33:46 pm »
Here's another opinion for your consideration...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf